As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] FAQ Thread !NDA dropped!

• Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So wait... can anyone explain Renown to me? The front page was the first I'd heard anything about it.

It sounds like it's a second set of experience - you level up in PvE, and level Renown in RvR. Is that right? In that case, what does Renown do for you? Does it increase stats in any way?

That's pretty much what it is, yeah. You can spend renown points to increase your stats a bit and you can use renown points to buy tactics. Also, most if not all "RvR gear" require a certain renown rank to equip.

Screamline on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there a website for WAR that's comparable to Elitist Jerks for WoW? I pray that the answer isn't warhammer alliance. I'm getting sick of reading character guides created by people who've only gotten to rank 15 or something.

I can't imagine something like that would be useful until after beta is done, and things don't change constantly (and most players don't have a cap of about level 21).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So wait... can anyone explain Renown to me? The front page was the first I'd heard anything about it.

It sounds like it's a second set of experience - you level up in PvE, and level Renown in RvR. Is that right? In that case, what does Renown do for you? Does it increase stats in any way?

Renown is basically RvR exp. You only get it by killing enemy players, winning scenarios, or taking keeps/objectives in open field RvR.

You get a renown point for each renown rank. These points can be used to improve your stats at renown trainers. For example, spend one point to get +3 strength. You can improve each stat 5 times, but the point cost increases each time.

There are three tiers to spend points on. The first tier is basically improving a single stat like strength. If you spend 20 points on the first tier, the second tier is unlocked. These are usually combinations like strength and weapon skill or single more powerful stats like wounds (HP). If you spend 40 points between the first and second tier, the third tier is unlocked. These are mostly very powerful things like +3% crit.

grrarg on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's pretty much what it is, yeah. You can spend renown points to increase your stats a bit and you can use renown points to buy tactics. Also, most if not all "RvR gear" require a certain renown rank to equip.

Renown Points (RPs) are basically the leveling system after you've maxed our your character level. Getting to Rank 40 isn't difficult, and shouldn't really take very long.

But getting to Renown Rank 80... that could take a while.

I believe you also get 5 additional Mastery Points from Renown Ranks, so that's very important.

Renown Rank also gives you RvR Titles.

You earn both xp and RP when you kill someone in RvR.

Selner on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Screamline wrote: »

From what I understand, there are different sets of gear that require certain levels and ranks
    ie:
    L10R6
    L20R11

Also, I always thought that the Renown worked similar to the DAOC Realm Ranks, where it is essentially a seperate Talent Point tree and pool.

Question: How easy / difficult & How rewarding is it to 2-box this game the classic way with multiple mice&keyboards?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    I have two questions:

1. Can some one explain what each of the stats do? Willpower/wounds etc.....
    2. Is there rested XP or an equivalent system?

1. You can mouse over the stats in Morden's profile and see what the stats do.

2. There is rested XP. If you log out in a Chapter questhub you'll gain rest at a certain rate. Log out in a capital city and get rested even faster.

grrarg on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How many keeps are there in open world pvp? Do how many victory points you have affect whether or not your keep is assaultable (like the number of victory points determine in which zone scenarios are open)?

How many scenarios are there total, and how many are available at any given time? Do they assign people to scenarios to keep them all used equally and scenario populations even, or do you choose which ones you want to compete in?

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    pvp gear also is effected by renown ranks as well. the armor that is offered at rank 10 is better than rank 6. not by a huge amount, but still enough to give you and "edge" over an opponent that is not as equally as geared. my chosen's life spam dramatically improved once i had him in the rank 10 (maybe 12? i forget the increments) gear.

not only were the benifits better, but the gear just looked awesome and made me stand out from the other rabble as a player that "might know his way around killing people". healers heal people that look cool.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Renown Points (RPs) are basically the leveling system after you've maxed our your character level. Getting to Rank 40 isn't difficult, and shouldn't really take very long.

I believe you also get 5 additional Mastery Points from Renown Ranks, so that's very important.

Is it possible to "respec" these stats you buy with renown points? For example, I go Witch Elf and buy a bunch of str stats with my renown points, but find out later I'm dying too much so I want to buy different stats. Can I do that?

GooseyGoose on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In the beta it is possible to respec basically everything for free. I'm not sure if renown respecs will be possible at release and/or whether or not they will have some cost.

grrarg on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Selner wrote: »

Is it possible to "respec" these stats you buy with renown points? For example, I go Witch Elf and buy a bunch of str stats with my renown points, but find out later I'm dying too much so I want to buy different stats. Can I do that?

Yeah, it's pretty easy.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm hearing that engineer turrets are somewhat broken at the moment, but what about the grenade and musket paths? My plan was to be a grenade engineer. (and maybe be the blackest dwarf I can find and try to get an eyepatch, but we'll see how that works out)

Grenade engineer is incredibly lackluster - the only real bonus you get is that your acid grenade gets better, giving you a kind of chance against witch elves / marauders / any melee class. Rifle engineer is the only viable build when I played, tinkerer relied too much on the broken flame turret and grenadier has no real focus going for it. Rifle at least gave you an additional knockback to slow down mobs so that you could kite them.

The truly broken thing about the class is that it has a minimum range that its cousin - the magus - doesn't have to deal with at all.

I'll do a real engineer writeup tonight for you, I played mine into tier three so I guess i'm most qualified of the posters so far.

Maticore on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Engineers are being redone in the next big patch so I wouldnt even bother.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    why are you snoozing on steam chat, robot

i had a few more questions!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    because im at work

Unknown User on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    where did you get the info on this latest patch

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    from being super smart about things and stuff

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Screamline wrote: »

From what I understand, there are different sets of gear that require certain levels and ranks
    ie:
    L10R6
    L20R11

Also, I always thought that the Renown worked similar to the DAOC Realm Ranks, where it is essentially a seperate Talent Point tree and pool.

Then that makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.

I was reading through the impressions on the front page, and quite a few classes sound cooler than I thought initially. Any impressions from anyone on the White Lion? That's the class I'm most interested in, though Rune Priest is right behind it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I was reading through the impressions on the front page, and quite a few classes sound cooler than I thought initially. Any impressions from anyone on the White Lion? That's the class I'm most interested in, though Rune Priest is right behind it.

White Lion is pretty fun, but the pathing on the pets is kinda messed up at the moment.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Agree with the above. I played one for a little bit and thought it was a great take on a pet class. Melee + pet you don't see too much of. The pathing of the pet is the only negative and they're working on that. Should be a fun class overall.

Timmer on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »

White Lion is pretty fun, but the pathing on the pets is kinda messed up at the moment.

Understatement of the year. You can't even run in a straight line without the stupid thing getting stuck on invisible geometry and falling behind.

The +20% run speed buff for the pet being a tactic is a real slap to the face, too. Thankfully, it's a very easily-remedied slap to the face.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    DayDay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I heard a rumor about the differences in the Open/Core servers. Something about not getting XP from PVP kills on an Open server??
    Is this true?
    Can someone briefly explain the differences in the servers?

Day on
    Currently Playing: TF2/Audiosurf
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Daymion
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    sounds like a dumb rumor to me

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think the only verified difference is whether you're flagged always or just in dedicated RvR zones.

Timmer on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    lazegamer wrote: »
    How many keeps are there in open world pvp? Do how many victory points you have affect whether or not your keep is assaultable (like the number of victory points determine in which zone scenarios are open)?

How many scenarios are there total, and how many are available at any given time? Do they assign people to scenarios to keep them all used equally and scenario populations even, or do you choose which ones you want to compete in?

This appears to have been missed, so I'll take a crack at it.

Keeps: There are 2 Keeps in each tier 2-4 zone. As you go up in tiers, they go up in impressiveness (tier 2 is just the keep itself, 3 and 4 have outer walls). Tier 4 is, however, made up of 3 zones, so total for each pairing is 6 Tier-4 Keeps, 2 Tier-3 Keeps and 2 Tier-2 Keeps, and then 1 Fortress (Uber Keep) for each side for each pairing. Keeps are always assaultable in un-locked zones. To lock a zone it appears you need to capture all the Keeps, all the BO (Objectives) and win some scenarios/kill a lot of people/do PQs/anything else that awards Victory Points. For each pairing's Tier-4 only 1 zone is Unlocked at a time.

Scenarios: Total scenarios, for each pairing (so multiply this by three) is, I think, 10. 1 in Tier 1, 2 in Tier 2, 2 in Tier 3, 2 in Tier 4's middle zone, and then 1 in the other two Tier 4 zones. There is an addtional scenario for each of the cities when they're under attack. You can pick which ones to queue up for, but you (at this time) need to be in the connected zone to queue up for one, though you can keep multiple queue's active at once.

That was probably more confusing than it needed to be, so prehaps someone will rephrase it in a non-silly way.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought the NDA drop would make the wait easier. It has not. It's made it worse.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've noticed in some of the videos you just see mounts standing there in the middle of a battle, are you able to kill them?

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Louie wrote: »
    I also resent being called a girly girl, pvp is hard to enjoy when you can not get it whenever you want.

Nut up and stop being such a girly girl. :P

Accualt on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AfroJ wrote: »
    I've noticed in some of the videos you just see mounts standing there in the middle of a battle, are you able to kill them?

That was a bug from a couple versions ago. Would double up mount graphics in certain cases, leaving one standing there. I haven't seen it in awhile, so I think it's gone.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would sex someone if they told me a bit about Ironbreakers. Are they on par with the chosen and the borcs? Are they the best tanks ever, and if not what are they best at? Is a stone specced ironbreaker generally useful and fun to play in PVP when compared to a damage specced one?

Vic on
  • Options
    SousukeSousuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    I would sex someone if they told me a bit about Ironbreakers. Are they on par with the chosen and the borcs? Are they the best tanks ever, and if not what are they best at? Is a stone specced ironbreaker generally useful and fun to play in PVP when compared to a damage specced one?

Ironbreakers are terrible. They are so useless that nobody should ever roll one ever.

Seriously, don't play one.

Please?
    They're almost unkillable and do quite a bit of damage, althougth it may be a "grass is greener" thing, they seem like the most powerful tank class right now, and tanks are really good.

Sousuke on
    PSN: Volteage
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Vic wrote: »

Ironbreakers can generally win against Black Orcs in 1v1 any day. Against Chosen it depends on the spec but they have to potential to kill them as well. Against anything else they murder them.

Tank-spec'd Ironbreakers have much less DPS but coming from a Chosen that has tried to take one out, they are incredibly annoying because they take aeons to die.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MrSupaflyMrSupafly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well ive caved after finally reaching a breaking point with aoc and decided to pre-order this game. now the only question is which pre-order bonus do I want.

is corpereal damage same as physical damage? I'll be going engineer or ironbreaker. I'm not much of a mage guy. Probably have a healer alt.

from what I saw of pre-order bonuses:

Plus, order from Best Buy and receive:

CHAMPION'S SAPPHIRE BAND
    Enhance your stats and cast "Touch of Frost," increasing your chance of doing additional elemental damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

Order from GameStop or EB Games and receive:

SENTINEL'S AMBER BAND
    Enhance your stats and cast "Touch of Earth," increasing your chance of doing additional corporeal damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

Purchase the pre-release package from Target* and receive:

VINDICATOR'S RUBY BAND
    Enhance your stats and cast "Touch of Flame," increasing your chance of doing additional elemental damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

Order from Amazon.com**, Circuit City, Direct2Drive**, EAStore.com**, EB Canada, Fry's, GameCrazy, GoGamer.com, and WalMart.com*** and receive:

GUARDIAN'S IOLITE BAND
    Enhance your stats and cast "Touch of Spirit," increasing your chance of doing additional spiritual damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

Does it really matter which one we have? these pre-order decisions always end up drivin me mad. MAD I SAY.

MrSupafly on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Corporeal, Spiritual, & Elemental are all different types of magical damage. It's mostly a personal choice as to which you like. In terms of classes that deal magic they tend to have 1 main damage type with 1 supplementary one.

Bright Wizards - Main: Elemental; Secondary - Corporeal
    Sorceress - Main: Corporeal; Secondary - Spiritual
    Shaman - Elemental
    Archmage - Spiritual
    Swordmaster - Spiritual
    Chosen - Spiritual

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MrSupaflyMrSupafly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ah so all these rewards are basically caster only?

thats craptastic.

MrSupafly on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MrSupafly wrote: »

thats craptastic.

No no no. The rings give you a chance on hit to do additional *put damage type here* damage. So I'm sure it works with melee attacks and spell casts. Also, it only works in PvE combat.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MrSupafly wrote: »

thats craptastic.

Not at all... all they do is add a bit of damage to your damage. He was just explaining the different damage types and which classes use them...

Timmer on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    god the squig herder class looks fun as hell. Has anybody tried that class out yet?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    god the squig herder class looks fun as hell. Has anybody tried that class out yet?

Look around in this thread. I thought it was pretty fun when I played it; the goblins and squigs are great! The issue seems to be with DPS output. If you're not one to care about whether you're doing as much as others you'll probably have fun. They've been doing lots of changing around of things lately for the SH so hopefully they'll keep doing so until it all clicks.

Timmer on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So one of the other Collectors Edition Bonuses is the Rittenbacher's Portable Camp - exactly what sort of role does resting play in WAR? I've not seen any reference to 'skills works X times a day' nor anything about diminishing XP returns over time - or is this like the respec thing, not something you want applying to people testing the game?

Tastyfish on
This discussion has been closed.