As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moment of the Week: 8/20/08

• Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    it's stuff like that...

y'know? Nevermind. That can of worms can stay closed.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Are you about to bitch about the multiverse
    Because I don't care, that was the goshdarn Batman

Me Too! on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's one of the most awesome things ever.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the ending to Herc was friggin awesome

also, i got some previews for next week, and IIF is looking much better than the last issue, Skaar is finally making some progress, USM is actually deviating from the game in a nice way, and Old Man Logan was fantastic and has a great twist on the last few pages

Spoilers for that old man logan maybe? Is it related to the president's identity?

fray on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the president is obviously The Hooded Man

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    Ha, Mr. Freeze has an ice cream gun.

Kinda thought Two-Face would just have a bad case of acne, though.

Popular theory is it's a pie or ice cream on his face.

I figured it was bubblegum but those probably fit it better.

Anyway, here's some more Superman/Batman. Not as good as the other scanned pages but still pretty funny/awesome:
    supbat1.jpg

supbat2.jpg

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you're obviously the hooded man.

fray on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Look at Red Tornado there. Just look at him!

And there was a point before where Vixen used the power of a teddybear. I would follow Superman/Batman if I had not been horribly burned years before when Loeb was still on the creative team. No amount of adorable mini-heroes can heal that wound.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why am I not collecting Superman/Batman again?

Oh yeah. I'm a goshdarn moron.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, Loeb is off Superman/Batman?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    His last issue was #26 which was quite a long time ago.

He left the book even before he signed his Marvel exclusive (he's been exclusive with Marvel for almost 2 years)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Was Robin this week a RIP crossover?
    I don't believe so no

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    the ending to Herc was friggin awesome

also, i got some previews for next week, and IIF is looking much better than the last issue, Skaar is finally making some progress, USM is actually deviating from the game in a nice way, and Old Man Logan was fantastic and has a great twist on the last few pages

Spoilers for that old man logan maybe? Is it related to the president's identity?
    Hawkeye and Logan set out to rescue Ashley, but not before Ultron 8 gives Logan some encouragement in the form a an X-Men keychain that brings some memories flooding back (but still nothing clear) we then see "Daredevil" and "The Punisher", the two other "heroes" that came in with Ashley, get eaten by the Kingpin's dinosaurs. Speaking of which, it's not the Kingpin we all know, but a black guy who looks suspiciously like Luke Cage (but isn't). Hawkeye and Logan storm Ashely's holding place (with an awesome scene of the Spider-Buggy driving on the side of a building) and Hawkeye proceeds to beat the living shit out of everyone with a sword while Logan hangs back. After he frees Ashley, she kills the new Kingpin, and claims the land as her own. Hawkeye is confused, because he thought she wanted to free everyone, but she calls him stupid and gets ready to shoot him, when it ends showing Logan behind the wheel of the Spider-Buggy cursing Hawkeye for making him do what he's about to do.

if you guys want some scans just ask

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    His last issue was #26 which was quite a long time ago.

He left the book even before he signed his Marvel exclusive (he's been exclusive with Marvel for almost 2 years)

Wow, I've been avoiding the book for that long just because of Loeb.

But then, that last arc that ended with Lana Lang betraying Superman didn't make it seem like I was missing much.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I enjoyed the first two volumes of Superman/Batman by Loeb. Public Enemies and Supergirl. But I didn't care for volume 3, Absolute Power. And that's all I've read of Superman/Batman.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mine's from the Layla Miller special.
    Ruby is an awesome idea for a child of Cyclops and Emma Frost. That is all.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone tired of MOTW's that are months old? No? Okay.

MOTW: Got Fables trades 8, 9 and 10 today. I'd read them already, but I love the series and don't want to have to rely on others when I feel like reading through them again.

Now, if the copy of #6 I ordered like two fucking months ago would arrive, I'd be all caught up.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I managed to catch up entirely on a friend's copies the other day so now I'm all set for #75

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Don't make me learn what Hot Pockets are Scott.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

hahah yesss, that conversation made me so happy

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008

hahah yesss, that conversation made me so happy

I imagine Beast's voice getting more and more urgent and insistent as that conversation went on.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pretty goshdarn awesome week.

Herc
    loved Sl'gur't finishing Mikaboshi's haiku while attacking him. And the bit where she did an 'Alien' on Atum? Ewwwwwwwww!

Birds of Prey
    Joker: "Relax, sonny! It's just a toy. You like toys, don't you? Pull the trigger and a ten inch rod pops out, with the cutest little flag on it that says 'BANG!' Priceless! Wanna see?"

SKLUTCH

Captain America:
    Faustus: "But I leave you with two gifts... your S.H.I.E.L.D GPS transmitter...and this...Forget your grief. You were never pregnant. It was all a bad dream."

The "I'm Captain America!" moment at the end was fantastic too. Goshdarnit, I love that series!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Would you mind popping some more details in a spoiler please, MuddBudd?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    I don't believe so no

Well, it wasn't one of the "tie-in" issues with the banner at the top, but it does actually deal with Batman being missing and such.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

Alright. I'll try to scan it tonight too, but no promises. Here is the spoiler info on Ruby from the Layla Miller special.
    This all takes place in the future Layla got left in. She escapes the internment camp.

They never specifically say who her mother is, but she has a very similar eye blast to cyclops (no visor, but then, future cyclops didn't have one either) and she appears to be made of living Ruby, which says to me Emma Frost is her mother. Her eyes seem to constantly have energy leaking out from them, not like electric arcs, but little floaty black specks with red outlines. Her optic blast is also black/very dark crimson with bright red outlines.

We know she can power down into normal human mode, but hasn't in decades and is worried that if she did, she might age that much in seconds. We also know that Layla is in the past at some point and tells Cyclops in no uncertain terms to name her Ruby Summers.

She leads what Layla says will someday be referred to as the Summers Rebellion by taking down a bunch of Sentinels in Times Square, and uniting mutants and humans against an oppressive government.

All in all I just really like the character design and I want to see more of it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That sounds very logical actually.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

Alright. I'll try to scan it tonight too, but no promises. Here is the spoiler info on Ruby from the Layla Miller special.
    This all takes place in the future Layla got left in. She escapes the internment camp.

They never specifically say who her mother is, but she has a very similar eye blast to cyclops (no visor, but then, future cyclops didn't have one either) and she appears to be made of living Ruby, which says to me Emma Frost is her mother. Her eyes seem to constantly have energy leaking out from them, not like electric arcs, but little floaty black specks with red outlines. Her optic blast is also black/very dark crimson with bright red outlines.

We know she can power down into normal human mode, but hasn't in decades and is worried that if she did, she might age that much in seconds. We also know that Layla is in the past at some point and tells Cyclops in no uncertain terms to name her Ruby Summers.

She leads what Layla says will someday be referred to as the Summers Rebellion by taking down a bunch of Sentinels in Times Square, and uniting mutants and humans against an oppressive government.

All in all I just really like the character design and I want to see more of it.

I struggle to fit X-Men into regular continuity. I mean before M-Day or whatever it was called, there were thousands upon thousands of mutants and yet only tyhe odd known hero like Spider-Man who only ever met other scientific accidents and never mutants. And every possible future for the X-Men involves an Earth thats generally mutant-hating, post-apocalyptic, bleak and pretty much every popular character is dead which seems to make stuff like the Skrull wars and their defeat kind of inevitable and only postponing the inevitable. The Xmens future and every other heroes just seems to be exclusive of each other.

Though granted I don't follow X-men much.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you can say that about any franchise that tells stories in the "future"

X-Men probably does it more than most, but thats just the nature of time travel stories. And the way Marvel time travel works, these are just possible futures. Obviously none of it is set in stone.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    you can say that about any franchise that tells stories in the "future"

X-Men probably does it more than most, but thats just the nature of time travel stories. And the way Marvel time travel works, these are just possible futures. Obviously none of it is set in stone.

Fair enough. Its mostly the number of pre-cogs, messiahs and active members from the future that make it harder to deal with than others.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Amazing Spider-Man was great if you don't like good story-telling and think that JR Jr is a wonderful artist. Otherwise I think it's time for Marvel to send Venom and the rest of the symbiotes back to the 90s where they belong.

Have you been reading Thunderbolts? Because Venom's been pretty awesome in that.

And Toxin's a great character even if he's been stuck in Limbo since his mini ended.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That reminds me, I need to track down a copy of Toxin's mini

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I struggle to fit X-Men into regular continuity. I mean before M-Day or whatever it was called, there were thousands upon thousands of mutants and yet only tyhe odd known hero like Spider-Man who only ever met other scientific accidents and never mutants. And every possible future for the X-Men involves an Earth thats generally mutant-hating, post-apocalyptic, bleak and pretty much every popular character is dead which seems to make stuff like the Skrull wars and their defeat kind of inevitable and only postponing the inevitable. The Xmens future and every other heroes just seems to be exclusive of each other.

Though granted I don't follow X-men much.

Spoilered for those who haven't read Layla Miller and want to:
    Actually, in this future, the populace didn't hate the mutants. The government did and was about to embark on a genetic testing of the whole populace. The humans were pissed at this, and all Layla did was sort of prod them out of their laziness by revealing this plan to them before the govt. was ready.

Long story short, they weren't hateful, just self-absorbed.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked the new Moon Knight where Spector torched a whole building and these two unfazed hookers just casually ask him if he wants to "party".

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I liked the new Moon Knight where Spector torched a whole building and these two unfazed hookers just casually ask him if he wants to "party".

I'd want to party with the guy who blows up buildings too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't believe so no

I think the current Robin arc is called "Search for a Hero"

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I don't believe so no

Well, it wasn't one of the "tie-in" issues with the banner at the top, but it does actually deal with Batman being missing and such.

Nicieza is pretty good with connecting stories, apparently. The last issue of Robin (before this week's) had Nightwing saying, "Hmm. Voice command auto-destruct. Not a bad idea." about Tim's mask and the week before's (i think) issue of Trinity (the back-up written by Nicieza) had Nightwing using a voice activated auto-destruct in his mask.

I just thought that was neat

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Superman/Batman was amazing

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Superman/Batman was amazing

They pushed his parents down, those bastards!

Algertman on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

does he have his own mini or are you talking about venom vs carnage? because that is so, so bad.

Angry on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »

does he have his own mini or are you talking about venom vs carnage? because that is so, so bad.

He has his own mini that takes place after the events of Venom Vs Carnage.

I'm not even sure Toxin was ever acknowledged in the mainstream marvel universe.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon