As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disgustingly bad portrait

The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
How are you, AC?

I figured I would make a separate thread for this, I would have posted it in the doodle thread but I'd like some more extensive feedback on this.

testportraitcs8.jpg

Trying my hand at portraits, making some progress but generally failing. Lips are too small and her face is way too pointy, among other things. Is there anything else that really stands out to you guys (I'm sure there's plenty of problems)

Any tips/tricks?

I'm using my wacom and TOP OF THE LINE photoshop elements (yes, I know it's terrible)

[END]
The One Dark Knight on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You're drawing individual parts and kind of stitching them together, instead of drawing the full face. If you're going to paint like this, try flipping the picture horizontally every few minutes and painting it facing in the other direction - you can even flip the picture and reference upside down if you really need to - it'll keep you from drawing what you think you see, which is where a lot of the picture is going wrong.

Brolo on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    elements isnt terrible

is this photo referenced? if so, can we see it?

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nope no ref. Maybe I should paint from refs since I am such a digital painting noob.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nope no ref. Maybe I should paint from refs since I am such a digital painting noob.

You should probably try again with a good reference, working in grayscale. The structure and rendering in this is just really off, it wouldn't be worth going into specifics--unless you really had your heart on polishing this up.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »

You should probably try again with a good reference, working in grayscale. The structure and rendering in this is just really off, it wouldn't be worth going into specifics--unless you really had your heart on polishing this up.

Thanks scos, I'll take your advice and work from the ground up. Was just dicking around really with a sketch.

Come to think of it I should probably be trying grayscale before even going color in anything anyway.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I made this, sorry it's ultra messy. cut and pasted different elements and
    Didn't fix much lighting because i forgot, just tried to show better proportions and remind you that the face is made of many many planes - which helps a lot when you have to decide how to shade something.
    obviously this is my take and someone else would have something that looks really different.
    If you were going for a big forehead, that's ok - some people do have that.
    This is what I think could be done to fix it, but i'm not nearly as talented as scos and folk so i'm sure they can chime in if I made a fail correction. Here i goes...
    testportraitcs8.jpg
    fixadoodypk2.jpg
    All and all it's a pretty solid effort for using no reference, and god knows i'm shit at coloring so you've done a better job at it than i ever could.
    Also, I'm confused as how to draw lips at this kind of an angle so if someone could explain that would be awesome.

(I have no idea if this causes more H scroll than normal because I have a widescreen monitor. let me know if it makes you sadface)

XAL on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here's my 60 second attempt at showing you what's going on here with the underlying structure of your portrait. Not great but I've got no tablet and I can only do so much with my mouse.

portraitfixcop1yph0.jpg

Honestly, I think THIS is what you need to study if you want to do portraits-- structure and proportions. You can completely forget about rendering at this point. Take a look at the original image and try to imagine what the skull would look like, and if you can't do that then you need to go take a good, long look at a skull. Especially note the relationship between the jawline and cranium.

Edit: Looking again, my lines have the proportions of a relatively young kid because that's the impression I got from the original image. Maybe you meant for this guy to be a bit older, in which case my draw-over would definitely look a bit different. *shrug* In any case I hope it helps.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heh. Its a her folks.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ED! wrote: »
    Heh. Its a her folks.

Oh shiiiiiiii

I missed that little detail haha

XAL on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Any chance you could send us a reference photo soon? That'll be the best way for us to give you decent crits.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    well she doesn't look like a chick to be fair
    i say go download the loomis books and give them a read through
    they're in the questions/tutorial thread

then do studies from refs
    because trying to learn this from your imagination is all sorts of backwards.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks guys, I figured I was going about this the wrong way so I wanted a reality check. Will post in the same thread if I give this another shot.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Definately give it another shot. Do a detailed sketch on paper (using a photo reference) and then scan it in and use it as a guide for your digital painting. All good illustrators use references.

winter_combat_knight on