As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] FAQ Thread !NDA dropped!

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    So one of the other Collectors Edition Bonuses is the Rittenbacher's Portable Camp - exactly what sort of role does resting play in WAR? I've not seen any reference to 'skills works X times a day' nor anything about diminishing XP returns over time - or is this like the respec thing, not something you want applying to people testing the game?

Nothing really; you regen out of combat very, very fast.

Makes me wonder what this thing actually does.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there going to be some trial thing at launch?

Fuga on
    edited August 2008
    Nothing announced, that I know of. They're probably confident enough that trials will come very near launch.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SousukeSousuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    So one of the other Collectors Edition Bonuses is the Rittenbacher's Portable Camp - exactly what sort of role does resting play in WAR? I've not seen any reference to 'skills works X times a day' nor anything about diminishing XP returns over time - or is this like the respec thing, not something you want applying to people testing the game?

Maybe it gives a bonus to rested exp?

Sousuke on
    PSN: Volteage
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    god the squig herder class looks fun as hell. Has anybody tried that class out yet?

Some asshole wrote an overview on the class when he was totally sleep deprived. It's on the first page in the Greenskins section.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    god the squig herder class looks fun as hell. Has anybody tried that class out yet?

Some asshole wrote an overview on the class when he was totally sleep deprived. It's on the first page in the Greenskins section.

Here's a short Squig Herder overview (as of 3.3):

Big Shootin': Subpar damage output for RDPS, but sort of viable.
    Quick Shootin': A single Runepriest's HoT will out-heal your damage.
    Stabbin': You will become well acclimated with the various flavors of soil all over the world.

s3rial one on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »

Stabbin': You will become well acclimated with the various flavors of soil all over the world.

Actually Big Shootin' is pretty viable for RvR. At least, it was at level 21. Everything else though? Ya, pretty much.

maraxus94 on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's nota collector's edition item. Im getting it with my pre-order of the regular edition along with the ring.

KVW on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I imagined it would recharge health faster than just getting out of combat, which would be nice for the brief time between battles in Scenarios. Might also allow yourself to use it while still technically in combat, buying you a few extra seconds.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »

I imagined it would recharge health faster than just getting out of combat, which would be nice for the brief time between battles in Scenarios. Might also allow yourself to use it while still technically in combat, buying you a few extra seconds.

My guess, based on regen is that it will either:

A. Grant you rest experience for logging out anywhere, not just in a city

or

B. Just look freaking awesome, like the camps in SW:G

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

what a shame.

another question: how do you pronounce "WAAAAGH"? like "wag" or "woh" or "wa"?

ghost_master2000 on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I always pronounced it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

what a shame.

another question: how do you pronounce "WAAAAGH"? like "wag" or "woh" or "wa"?

The same way the Orcs pronounce it in the video silly "WAAAAGGHHH!"

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    I always pronounced it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

you forgot the G

The g in WAAAGH has to be pronounced

INeedNoSalt on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So a friend roped me into pre-ordering, and we're most likely gonna play chaos. I recall hearing about a class that had some kinda scorpion-style pulling tentacle, can anyone tell me which one it was?

BlueDestiny on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So a friend roped me into pre-ordering, and we're most likely gonna play chaos. I recall hearing about a class that had some kinda scorpion-style pulling tentacle, can anyone tell me which one it was?

The Marauder. Though it's only gained at level 40.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I think there may be other classes with similar skills, but I'm very sure the one you're specifically looking for is Marauder. I haven't had a chance to check out the skill though.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome, that was the class I wanted to try first. Mutations for victory!

BlueDestiny on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mutations that you can only spec into one at a time for the epic Lose! I played a marauder in CB and while its neat and fun at first, the fact that each mastery focuses on a single mutation means you won't be using the other two 99% of the time, which is terrible.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not certain but I think you can almost make it down two mastery paths but not fully.

Accualt on
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I'm not certain but I think you can almost make it down two mastery paths but not fully.

Somewhat, yeah. You can get up to the 9th level mastery ability in each of the two you pick, but you won't be able to pick up one lower ability/tactic in one of the branches since you wind up one point short. Give it a try:

http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=14#0:0:0:0:0:0:25

Screamline on
    edited August 2008
    Screamline wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »

Somewhat, yeah. You can get up to the 9th level mastery ability in each (but you won't be able to pick up an ability/tactic in one of the branches since you wind up one point short. Give it a try:

http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=14#0:0:0:0:0:0:25

One full and one 10 deep, but that's only if you *don't* buy any of the abilities or tactics along the path.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you have any more burning questions ask them now because we'll probably wrap this thread up soon and link it from the main WAR OP as a resource.

Accualt on
  • Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    when you guys spec, do you usually get most of the abilties in a tree?

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Indica1 wrote: »

really depends. A green shaman will probably get all of the abilities, whereas a marauder will probably skip one or two. I usually pick up all of the ABILITIES and just skip the tactics if i know im not going to end up using them.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2008

Usually. Although there are a couple fairly lackluster mastery abilities that get passed over (Sigmar's Shield comes to mind).

Screamline on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Sigmars Shield used to be the best, I haven't touched a WP since beta 2 though

Unknown User on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What is the absolute quickest route to registering a guild, once servers go live? (I have not experimented with this at all during beta, unfortunately.)

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What is the absolute quickest route to registering a guild, once servers go live? (I have not experimented with this at all during beta, unfortunately.)

There may be others, but I know there's a guild registrar NPC near the entrance to the main cities (in IC you just hop off the bird and head to the left and there's a little building with the NPC in front). I believe you need to be the leader of a full group (not sure on any money required).

Timmer on
  • alchemicalalchemical Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I pre-ordered from Best Buy a couple weeks ago. Aren't I supposed to receive a key from Mythic so I can get into the beta either now or whenever it is the "preorder" beta starts? Thanks!

alchemical on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    alchemical wrote: »
    So, I pre-ordered from Best Buy a couple weeks ago. Aren't I supposed to receive a key from Mythic so I can get into the beta either now or whenever it is the "preorder" beta starts? Thanks!

What edition did you pre-order?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I have never gotten all the abilities or tactics. I usually get 2/3 abilities, and only 1 or 2 tactics, depending on the class. The R4 morale is pretty dependent on the path too.

I suspect I might take more abilities if I were leveling up more and not starting out respecing beta templates.

zenpotato on
    edited August 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »

I have never gotten all the abilities or tactics. I usually get 2/3 abilities, and only 1 or 2 tactics, depending on the class. The R4 morale is pretty dependent on the path too.

I suspect I might take more abilities if I were leveling up more and not starting out respecing beta templates.

Personally, I don't think getting any of the R4 morale abilities is worth the extra points, not because they're bad abilities (indeed, the warrior priest wrath r4 is pretty strong for example) but because you won't get to use them enough to justify the cost.

Screamline on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Screamline wrote: »
    zenpotato wrote: »

Personally, I don't think getting any of the R4 morale abilities is worth the extra points, not because they're bad abilities (indeed, the warrior priest wrath r4 is pretty strong for example) but because you won't get to use them enough to justify the cost.

If you're in the middle of a keep siege or have been on the front lines of a scenario for a while, one's morale bar fills up quick. Plus there are a number of tactics across different classes that grant an amount of morale on a certain action (Disciple of Khaine, Chosen, etc.).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    If you're in the middle of a keep siege or have been on the front lines of a scenario for a while, one's morale bar fills up quick. Plus there are a number of tactics across different classes that grant an amount of morale on a certain action (Disciple of Khaine, Chosen, etc.).
    There are also a number of items that buff morale generation. I can foresee certain builds for certain classes that focus on maximizing morale generation to get the fullest use out of some of those crazy Rank 4 morale abilities.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so how is magus/caster classes for destruction?

tyrannus on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    so how is magus/caster classes for destruction?

Good! The Magus isn't like normal casters, more of a melee caster with his reliance on static demon summons. I think the Magus has the best look though. The disc is plain awesome.

The Sorceress is pretty darned powerful. Both her and her counter, the Bright Wizard, are the epitome of the "glass canon". Incredibly strong; no survivability.

Timmer on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i'd ahve buddies to protect me though!

tyrannus on
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw a rank 12 magus floating around on a different disc than the one you start out with - how does that work?

Fryhole on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    I saw a rank 12 magus floating around on a different disc than the one you start out with - how does that work?

The disc changes as you level up, it wasn't a "better" disc, just one of a higher level chartacter.

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.