As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (Photos On Page 14)

• Superfluous TambourineSuperfluous Tambourine Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Okay, I pretty much signed up with the PAX forums specifically to let you know that I and 3 friends are definitely planning on showing up and that I also have 2 other friends that might tag along as well. So put me down for myself + 3-5.

k, thanks bye.

Superfluous Tambourine on
  • yanyanyanyan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is going to be my first year at PAX and I definitely want in on this! There should be myself and maybe 1-3 of my pals coming along for the first part (I may stick around for the second half depending on hunger or mood).
    How have the bar crawls gone before?

yanyan on
  • hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just thought I'd finally chime in on this. Although I don't know as of yet if I want to be a participant in the tournament, there's a real good chance the girlfriend and I will come crawl along after the Pre-PAX dinner. Even though I'm 22, almost 23, I've never even been inside a bar, so this might be the best time to fix that.

hottopicreject on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just thought I'd finally chime in on this. Although I don't know as of yet if I want to be a participant in the tournament, there's a real good chance the girlfriend and I will come crawl along after the Pre-PAX dinner. Even though I'm 22, almost 23, I've never even been inside a bar, so this might be the best time to fix that.

Well considering the atmosphere, HP cosplay requirements, and amount of PAXers going this definitely will not be your average bar experience.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, granted, this is a bit last minute, but does anyone know where I can get my hands on a tie that matches the Ravenclaw pattern? Something I can pick up at the mall or somewhere similar would be preferable, I'm not sure I trust shipping to get it to me in time at this point.

I'll cross post this in the cosplay thread as well.

SlickShughes on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ukiyo e wrote: »

Well considering the atmosphere, HP cosplay requirements, and amount of PAXers going this definitely will not be your average bar experience.

It'll be 100% better than the average bar experience (and therefore worth going to! =) )!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ukiyo e wrote: »

It'll be 100% better than the average bar experience (and therefore worth going to! =) )!

Agreed. I hate going to bars, but this sounds like a blast (mainly because we will take over any bar we come across. Like vikings, but dressed up as wizards and stuff).

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, granted, this is a bit last minute, but does anyone know where I can get my hands on a tie that matches the Ravenclaw pattern? Something I can pick up at the mall or somewhere similar would be preferable, I'm not sure I trust shipping to get it to me in time at this point.

I got mine from online but you might try halloween stores. Also, ^5 for Ravenclaw!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited August 2008

I got mine from online but you might try halloween stores. Also, ^5 for Ravenclaw!

Where did you get it online? I'm willing to give it a shot if you've got a source for a good quality one. The only reason I've resisted ordering one before was all the ones I can seem to find online are listed as child sized.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2008

Where did you get it online? I'm willing to give it a shot if you've got a source for a good quality one. The only reason I've resisted ordering one before was all the ones I can seem to find online are listed as child sized.

http://www.legendarytoys.com/EL-LU2383.html

There ya go!

They used to have a special if you got the tie and scarf together for cheap, but its not there now :(

BrokenAngel on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it ok to show up and watch pax forumers get completely drunk and have a giggle about it when they're all hung over the next day? I don't drink, but I still love me a good bar. Especially with my buddies on karaoke night.

eye-shuh on
    edited August 2008

There ya go!

They used to have a special if you got the tie and scarf together for cheap, but its not there now :(

Ordered! Now to spend the next week hoping it gets here before I have to get on the PAXtrain...

SlickShughes on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For ladies, who are hot, wanting to dress I recommend:

Possibly NSFW
    halloween_Girls10.jpg
    :

MaoChan on
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Is it ok to show up and watch pax forumers get completely drunk and have a giggle about it when they're all hung over the next day? I don't drink, but I still love me a good bar. Especially with my buddies on karaoke night.

Of course, the more the merrier! I'm sure you'll have a good time and everyone who comes will add something to the party. =D

waffleboi9 on
  • Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me + 2.

But seriously: "This drinking thing is the same time as Optimus Rhyme and Mc Frontalot at the High Dive." Damn my inability to be in two places at one time!

Loser4Now on
    edited August 2008
    Loser4Now wrote: »
    Me + 2.

But seriously: "This drinking thing is the same time as Optimus Rhyme and Mc Frontalot at the High Dive." Damn my inability to be in two places at one time!

Phew, I'm glad I don't have to make that choice. Ma train doesn't arrive until 9:30.

waffleboi9 on
    edited August 2008
    Loser4Now wrote: »
    Me + 2.

I was really torn on that too, but since I've no way of knowing if the train is going to get into town on time, I'm going to plan on the activity that I won't feel bad about missing half of.

Also:
    Ordered! Now to spend the next week hoping it gets here before I have to get on the PAXtrain...
    Shipped! Damn those guys are fast. That gives me pretty good odds of getting it on Tuesday. Now to find me a v-neck sweater...

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »

Possibly NSFW
    halloween_Girls10.jpg
    :

It's shit like this that makes me wish I was into Harry Potter..........

waffleboi9 on
    edited August 2008

There ya go!

Damn, that is a slick tie. I might have to get it, but it would just be like FLAUNTING MY IGNORANCE of the source material =P

waffleboi9 on
    edited August 2008
    waffleboi9 wrote: »

There ya go!

Damn, that is a slick tie. I might have to get it, but it would just be like FLAUNTING MY IGNORANCE of the source material =P

Well... I like the movie colors better than the book colors anyway. I'm flaunting hollywood costume designers ignorance of the source material, not my own.

Also, I got the last one. :P ;-)

SlickShughes on
  • tron256tron256 Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Pre-Pax Pub Craw! OMG with wizards and stuff. Count me in!

tron256 on
    edited August 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »

Possibly NSFW
    halloween_Girls10.jpg
    :

Wow... umm... just no. Even if I had the body for it, no.

BrokenAngel on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I bought that same tie only in Gryffindor colors through Amazon. It's not bad at all and it forced me to learn how to tie a tie.

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2008
    I bought that same tie only in Gryffindor colors through Amazon. It's not bad at all and it forced me to learn how to tie a tie.

<--- went to prep school. Had to wear a tie (and a suit jacket for that matter) every day in high school. I can tie a tie in my sleep.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2008

<--- went to prep school. Had to wear a tie (and a suit jacket for that matter) every day in high school. I can tie a tie in my sleep.

Ties are just to let you know that you're slowly being choked to death by the system. Ever wonder why you came in a box? It's because someone put you there.

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2008
    yanyan wrote: »
    How have the bar crawls gone before?

I don't know if any have been attempted before. This is my first PAX.

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2008

Ties are just to let you know that you're slowly being choked to death by the system. Ever wonder why you came in a box? It's because someone put you there.

It's worth noting that I've yet to hold a job that required me to wear a tie on a day-to-day basis. Not that I'd mind, I just find it funny that I seem to have dodged whatever they were preparing me for.

SlickShughes on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to wear a tie with my dress uniform, so I learned for that. To this day, I can only tie a double Windsor.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • AtomicFreakAtomicFreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    I have to wear a tie with my dress uniform, so I learned for that. To this day, I can only tie a double Windsor.

I did that, but so rarely had to wear the dress uniform that I kept forgetting.

So I cheated and picked up a clip on tie.

AtomicFreak on
    TheAtomicFreak.gif
    theatomicfreak.png
    edited August 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

I used to be able to tie some other sort of tie knot, but I've lost that ability. Double windsor just seems classy.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2008
    Just a few minor updates:

*Referees are hereby referred to as headboys and headgirls

*The first 4 headboy/girl volunteers will receive a commemorative Triwizard tournament iron-on emblem like so:

emblemssa3.jpg

*In addition to the grand prize of not throwing up on my shoes, the first 10 participants in each group to fully complete their scorecard will recieve one of these fancy pants emblems.

That is all.

Atlus Parker on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll volunteer for headboy duties as long as i'm not constantly reffing, what are my responsibilities?

edit- I just realized people would be calling me "The head boy" in a bar. D:

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Also, for those of you still looking for costumes check out your local party store. I was at iParty today and saw a few things for cheap that will make you a wizard in no time. There was a complete Harry Potter kit for $25 that included robes, a wand, and glasses and there was the same tie that people are buying for $20 for $8 only without the house crest and only in Gryffindor colors.

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2008
    I'll volunteer for headboy duties as long as i'm not constantly reffing, what are my responsibilities?

With how high attendance is going to be it probably won't be fun, just rewarding. Headboys and girls will lead the group from bar to bar, administer the challenges (For the most part you just tell people what it is), hand out score stickers, and generally keep things running smoothly. If you plan on getting hammered out of your mind this probably isn't something you'll want to do.

Atlus Parker on
    edited August 2008
    Also, for those of you still looking for costumes check out your local party store. I was at iParty today and saw a few things for cheap that will make you a wizard in no time. There was a complete Harry Potter kit for $25 that included robes, a wand, and glasses and there was the same tie that people are buying for $20 for $8 only without the house crest and only in Gryffindor colors.

The price I pay for being a ravenclaw fan.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2008

The price I pay for being a ravenclaw fan.

The price I pay for not shopping around.

Atlus Parker on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

With how high attendance is going to be it probably won't be fun, just rewarding. Headboys and girls will lead the group from bar to bar, administer the challenges (For the most part you just tell people what it is), hand out score stickers, and generally keep things running smoothly. If you plan on getting hammered out of your mind this probably isn't something you'll want to do.

Definitely won't be getting hammered. And this sounds fine to me, sign me up

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm not drinking, so I'll volunteer to be a headgirl if you still need someone. :)

PS: I'm going to the dinner though - so I would only be able to be a second half ref.

eye-shuh on
    edited August 2008
    Just a few minor updates:

*In addition to the grand prize of not throwing up on my shoes, the first 10 participants in each group to fully complete their scorecard will recieve one of these fancy pants emblems.

That is all.

Oh now it's over. I wasn't considering participating in the costume part of the night, but now my competitive drive has awakened!! I have never read a Harry Potter book and yet I want that iron on emblem.

waffleboi9 on
    edited August 2008
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    PS: I'm going to the dinner though - so I would only be able to be a second half ref.

I appreciate the offer but it'll be easier to have people who will be there throughout the entire crawl.

I just finished putting together packts for each group. Each packet contains the following:
    • 10x maps of the crawl
    • ~50x crawl itineraries
    • 1x sealed envelope containing 3x copies of the challenges
    • 1x packet of trivia questions for Challenge 5
    • 12x Tournament emblems (2 for the headboys/girls of each group and 10 for prizes)

That will make things easy on volunteers. Scorecards and stickers will be distributed at the beginning of the crawl and during the midpoint. I think I finally have everything covered. -_-

Atlus Parker on
This discussion has been closed.