As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recurring Headphone Problem

AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
Hey all,
I seem to be having a continues problem with my mp3 players.

Usually a month or so after buying a new pair of headphones, the plug becomes unstable and gives bad quality/cuts out when the plug is moved about.

However, I noticed that after a while the jack in the phone degrades to the point where the previous problem occurs, but with ANY headphones I put in.
Is the problem that I'm being careless? My mp3 player stays in my pocket for about 6-7 hours a day. It doesn't tend to get moved about and I don't lift the mp3 player by the cord...
If it's worth noting, the problem has only occured with my current mp3 player (Samsung YP-P2) and my old one, the Samsung P2.

I don't want to have to keep buying a new mp3 player every 6 months. :\

Amaranth on

• Options
    GooseGoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure the problem is you're just being too rough on them. Headphone cords should fit nicely into their ports without any wiggle room. Here, just for reference is the end of some headphone cords:

35m35m6-lp_web.jpg

You see how the end is shaped kinda diamond-like, so that there's an indent on the plug near the tip, above the top black line? Well, inside your MP3 player is a tiny piece of metal that sorta springs into place and fits into that indentation. This holds the plug in place so that there's a stable electrical connection on those two black lines. Being that these pieces of metal are so small, they're easily damaged if something whacks the cord sideways, and are incredibly difficult to repair because they're so small, and are in electronics that are also incredibly small and tough to rip open.

I wish I could find a picture of the inside of a phono port, it would make this explanation so much easier.

I've had to repair the jack on my guitar a couple of times because I've accidentally stepped on the cord and screwed up the port. However, those plugs, while adhering to the same principles, are several times larger and can withstand some repairs without breaking completely.

So, basically, don't reef the cord sideways while its plugged in to your MP3 player.

Goose on
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My headphones never last long for me either.

Do you wrap them around the mp3 player when not using them? All of my problems have been because I do that. I would leave them plugged in and wrap them up which can easily damage the cord.

edit: Goose is talking about the curled flat piece of metal like on the right side of this guitar jack.
    outputJack.jpg

SirToasty on
  • Options
    AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually, what I do when I wear my mp3 player is I run the cord down my back and have the earphones hanging over my shoulders, so they're against my chest while the wire runs down my back and then around the left side of my waist into my pocket.
    I do it because I got the idea to do it to avoid being caught wearing my mp3 player in class, since it could easily be concealed under my shirt, and I could quickly drop them down my open collar in the case of an approaching teacher.
    Force of habit + comfort have left me with that style.

I'm taking the mp3 player back to Argos now and going to get it replaced, I'll try and be more careful with it in future...
    Thanks for the help :]

Amaranth on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It may be tugging on the plug while it is in your pocket unless you have a long enough cord that you can put the slack part in your pocket.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    GooseGoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SirToasty, thanks for posting that pic. My googlefu failed me when I was searching for something exactly like that.

Goose on
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett