As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    way to make a completely unfounded statement about a game you've never played.

yes this is my first time to the internet.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the fact that the game is getting pretty good review and a lot of people are excited for it means it sucks right? Have you even played the game?

edit: Damnit Dr. Frenchenstein your posts are faster than mine!

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Twentieth Century Fox said on Monday it will seek an injunction to block release of the Warner Bros movie "Watchmen" after a Los Angeles court ruled a copyright lawsuit against Warner can go forward.

I'm hoping this wont cause a delay, sounds like a simple money grab. Also, i read somewhere that Fox hasn't put out a hit movie in like 3 years or something. I think it was CHUD.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Umm, isn't there already some sort of "toning down" involved in the MK series? I seem to recall Raiden being an actual God of Thunder (or something), and some chick in spandex with a little Tae-Bo under her belt manages to kick his ass (in the hands of a skilled player) pretty handily.

Sure they could have "Superman flies in and beats them all" in the opening cinematic, but that'd make for a shitty game.

It's like listening to hardcore 'lore' advocates in an MMO when something is changed for game balance.

It's a GAME. Where would be the challenge if Green Lantern simply caged up every one of his combatants, or Batman had an extra minute pre-match to prepare a series of gadgets and conditions for the fight that guaranteed their victory?

It might be briefly entertaining as a single player game, but these things aren't just designed for a single player experience, hence; balance, hand waving, "magic", whatever.

To answer the Raiden question: he's a god of thunder, but (a) he's more like Baldur than Thor, in terms of power, and (b) he's always described as voluntarily putting aside much of his power when he participates in the tournament. Since his power is magic (and some stages in the story involve him completely losing his powers, I think) it's a bit easier to do than for, say, Superman to set aside his power.

However, I think the simple answer here is just magic. The stupid thing to me is the lack of fatalities...I don't really care much about the power levels these days.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That Watchmen legal stuff always gets resolved one way or another. There's too much money to be made.

Anyhow, Tom Cruise in a SLEEPER movie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i8e4bba223e1c5e9a17ff9d214268886d

I think it would work, if COLLATERAL was any indication.

Jesus Christ. I can't go on vacation and make it a through a fucking work week without coming back here.

Anyway. God, I hate Tom Cruise. I guess this would definitely mean Fag Hag and her origin are out. But considering how much I hate him, how he can't make a movie for shit and got kicked out of Paramount on his ass because the chairman wasn't going to put up with his shit, considering how he took some high-power deal with UA and yet just had his movie, which has been done for like a year at this point, bumped for the third or fourth time because the studio thinks it's shit, and given the fact that a fucking live-action Ghost in the Shell movie is more likely to see the light of day (and stories about Steven Spielberg helming that began to come out a long time ago), I still can't imagine it being any good.

However, in spite of all of that I would go see it in a second if they released the trailer and he says into the camera, "I saw pure evil. And Jesus fucking Christ, it was so beautiful."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So the fact that the game is getting pretty good review and a lot of people are excited for it means it sucks right? Have you even played the game?

The project has quite a few factors that tell me it will suck before it even gets off the ground. I will name a few of them.

1) First, crossover games almost always suck. In fact, generally speaking crossovers in any medium usually suck.

2) There hasn't been a "good" Mortal Kombat game in 10 years. In fact, it is debatable as to whether there has ever been a good one. The fighter genre has much better offerings.

3) As stated before, I think it would be ridiculous to dampen the powers of the characters for the sake of game balance. No, I don't have anything against game balance. But if Superman can't completely crush Sub-Zero's skull in one punch, then he isn't really Superman. He's just a loser in blue tights and a red cape. Basically, the problem I have with the idea is this: This isn't a true matchup, because a true matchup wouldn't be fair for MK.

In other news, I'm completely psyched about Batman: Arkham Asylum and also about Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone remember that Reign of the Superman game for the SNES? My roommate and I played it a little and, after seeing Superman get beaten by street thugs, we joked that the game was really about a random guy in a Superman costume who'd got in over his head on the way to a costume party.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone remember that Reign of the Superman game for the SNES? My roommate and I played it a little and, after seeing Superman get beaten by street thugs, we joked that the game was really about a random guy in a Superman costume who'd got in over his head on the way to a costume party.

How about Spawn for the SNES ? It could possibly when the award for most accurate portrayl of a godlike superhero. You had a massive power ticker and could use your powers to heal yourself. It was pretty much impossible to lose at.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I beat this game three times I think. It was a fun, albeit stupid, beat'em'up.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »

The project has quite a few factors that tell me it will suck before it even gets off the ground. I will name a few of them.

1) First, crossover games almost always suck. In fact, generally speaking crossovers in any medium usually suck.

WRONG....

wow. SO wrong.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Marvel VS Capcom, Capcom VS SNK, and Super Smash Brothers are the only ones that come to mind, and I like them all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, as for a DC fighting game, I'd love it. There's no reason that players can't be balanced -or even tiered like in CvS2. Catwoman, Wildcat:winky:, and Disco-era Nightwing in a KOF '03-style team against Superman brought down to a playable level by some deus ex machina would be awesome.

The problem is the demograph that Midway targets with its games. Frank Miller said in Miller/Eisner something along the lines of:

"there being a time when a boy's 10 or 12 years old, pops out a pocketknife and carves a swastika in his desk- Todd Mcfarlane appeals perfectly to that mindset."

The exact same thing can be said for Midway.

As for judging a game before it comes out, I don't believe it is necessary to eat every turd from a dog's ass to know that you won't like it. In fact, there are warning signs that should've kept us from eating the first one. ...I know, it was cool, we were 12 or whatever, it had blood... and it looked so real.

Oh, and King of Fighters can be added to the list of awesome videogame crossovers.

EDIT: Is that Moloch that Rorshach throws against the wall in the Watchmen trailer?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is the turd from a dog's ass Mortal Kombat ? That turd sure did taste good when I was 11. But man, it's kinda bad tasting now. They went progressively worse after MKII and even got more horrible when they went 3D. The "Deadly Alliance" was the first one to not be complete and utter shit in years and critics hailed it as the second coming of Christ. I would assume people who love their DC characters wouldn't want them subjected to such crap.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    RadculaRadcula Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is that Moloch that Rorshach throws against the wall in the Watchmen trailer?

I do believe that it's
    the guy who killed that girl and fed her to his german shepherds, the case which cracked rorschach and made him a motherfucker. fat n bald n such.
    EDIT: remembered his name, gerald grice

Radcula on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here is some information about casting for a Kick-Ass movie. Matthew Vaughn is attached to direct, apparently they are producing it themselves because studio's have been scared off by the violent content. Just a warning, there are some slight spoilers about the next next issue (i'm assuming) in one of the casting announcements.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080822/en_nm/cage_dc_1

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Radcula wrote: »
    Is that Moloch that Rorshach throws against the wall in the Watchmen trailer?

I do believe that it's
    the guy who killed that girl and fed her to his german shepherds, the case which cracked rorschach and made him a motherfucker. fat n bald n such.
    EDIT: remembered his name, gerald grice

That's what I thought because he looks kind of chubby, but his ear also looks tapered.

But, this guy's playing Moloch. (Frank from Dawn of the Dead)

He's much skinnier than the tubster Rorshach's throwing around.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Matt Frewer, he's awesome and played Max Headroom.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That...that's one of the greatest special moves in the history of fighting games?

Really?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That was a pretty cool fatality.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this where I can talk about the animated Next Avengers movie? Because it was awesome. Let me know where it's appropriate for me to gush about it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    this thread is the best possible place for that!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Is this where I can talk about the animated Next Avengers movie? Because it was awesome. Let me know where it's appropriate for me to gush about it.

You've seen it?

I thought it looked like it was made for the K-5 crowd, based on the preview, so I'd be surprised if it turned out to be good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I've just been so disappointed by the quality of the marvel animated stuff to consider it. Was this one better than the previous ones?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    That...that's one of the greatest special moves in the history of fighting games?

Really?
    ONE OF THE COOLEST MOVES EVER...is one that fighting games have been doing for fucking ages.

Seriously. How many modern standard fighters DON'T have a character with some sort of variable move?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, MK looks highly predictable in that looks horrible. props to dude for the last dragon drop though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Matt Frewer, he's awesome and played Max Headroom.

haha, i was gonna say, m-m-m-m-m-max headroom!

that's exactly how i know him, even though that show was only on for about fifteen minutes.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That was a pretty cool fatality.

i...agree. i liked his little dance

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is it ridiculous to be in a comic book forum and call something juvenile ?

Mortal Kombat being that something.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Flipping jump kicks aren't something I generally associate with the Joker.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    frankly the fact that the joker fights batman on the regular probably makes him tougher than most of the mortal kombat characters

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    frankly the fact that the joker fights batman on the regular probably makes him tougher than most of the mortal kombat characters

He can probably take a pretty good ass whipping, but Batman has never ripped anyone's head off with his bare hands or pulled their still beating heart from their chest.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

He can probably take a pretty good ass whipping, but Batman has never ripped anyone's head off with his bare hands or pulled their still beating heart from their chest.
    He could if he wanted to though. He just needs a little time to prepare.

see317 on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    see317 wrote: »

He could if he wanted to though. He just needs a little time to prepare.

damn you

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know what previous ones you're referencing. The Ultimate Avengers ones? I didn't watch those. The Iron Man one was actually fairly okay, though.

Next Avengers started off sorta dumb. But they kept doing things that seemed tailored to fans. This is basically a What If? story, and it's a good one. Ultron taking over the world, Tony Stark making Avengers robots, Hulk being the only weapon powerful enough to take down the main bad guy. Cap's temporary hologram shield even shows up, and I swear that kid's outfit looks just like his counterpart from Young Avengers.

The characters are actually fairly fleshed out, and work pretty well. There are some good chuckles, a few good fight scenes, but the whole What If? feeling is what I liked the most. Actually, if you get into it enough, there are some moments that could be considered emotional.

The Hulk is also perfectly done. My friend and I practically stood up and cheered when he finally shows up.
    He leaps through a desert and snatches up a robot while shouting 'Hulk Smash'. Then he proceeds to smash the robot in the ground. A lot. While screaming. When the robot doesn't break fast enough, he picks up a rock and smashes the robot with it. Over and over. While screaming louder!

After he gets beaten up a bit, they get him back into the fight by...
    ...telling him Ultron said he was stronger than Hulk.

Oh, and the best version of Thor shows up : bearded, classic uniform, 'Eric Masterson'-style Thor.

The previews for Hulk Vs Wolverine and Hulk Vs Thor were also pretty good looking. Apparently those are coming out in January. Hulk just runs rampant through Asgard beating people up. And Wolverine is in his old original costume, and has flashbacks to all his other versions. The one with the helmet and wires, cowboy/biker version, samurai/ninja, etc.

Oh, and guess who shows up with Wolverine? Omega Red and...
    Deadpool!
    Dunno if that's really a spoiler, but I was surprised.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Are you idiots still saying "MK vs DC is stupid it doesn't make sense"?

Shut the hell up. It's a video game that's also been getting great hands-on reviews

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Shut the hell up. It's a video game that's also been getting great hands-on reviews

It's so stupid and doesn't make ANY sense.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Oh, and guess who shows up with Wolverine? Omega Red and...
    Deadpool!
    Dunno if that's really a spoiler, but I was surprised.

I remember reading about that. Did you get to see the whole movie? If so, can you elaborate whether it's just an extended cameo or is he an actual player in the movie?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

A dog posting on the internet doesn't make any sense.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008

you also like the punisher and find batman ridiculous so you're dumb and also stupid

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.