As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GRID: I came. [NSF56k] **IT'S OUT!**

12346»

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think Jasconius is talking about the PC version. The PC version of DiRT had widescreen, so I can't see why this wouldn't, but I didn't try out the PC demo.

I did however buy the PS3 version of the game and I'm really enjoying it so far. The handling seems to be polarizing people, but I'm finding the cars fun to drive.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    I think Jasconius is talking about the PC version. The PC version of DiRT had widescreen, so I can't see why this wouldn't, but I didn't try out the PC demo.

I did however buy the PS3 version of the game and I'm really enjoying it so far. The handling seems to be polarizing people, but I'm finding the cars fun to drive.

Yeah, PC version. The handling too me isn't that bad, it's just not very easy to do with a thumb stick.

I've played Codemaster games where the handling was much, much weirder.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PC version of GRID has widescreen.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The demo definitely had widescreen. So it's probably a driver/monitor setup issue. And it's possible to play around with the thumbstick sensitivity, I think I just change my deadzone so it's 10-15% which helps a lot.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I got TrackIR to work in Grid yesterday. Recorded of a video of me in a mulitplayer race with it. You can't turn your head a whole lot so it's pretty subtle, it does make it easier around corners though.

http://www.alabasterslim.com/video.php?vid=Files/videos/GRID/Grid%20TrackIR%20Test.avi

And some random screenshots for fun:

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    1.2 Patch for the PC was released. Among other things they added TrackIR support. It now supports 6 degrees of freedom is much better than the hack I was using before.

High Quality DivX video demonstration:
    http://www.alabasterslim.com/video.php?vid=Files/videos/GRID/GRID_TrackIR_6DOF.avi

Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBWLb3Ac-HQ

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, I think that's the first I've seen TrackIR running and it's very impressive.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Indeed, very cool. How much are ($$) they?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh man, I didn't know there was a demo for this. I'm gonna give it a try.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the career mode.

I'm not fond of the homicidal kamikaze AI. In PGR, I could get away with racing from an inside view, but not here. Most of my concentration is spent on defending against attempts by the AI to force a collision. It sucks.

Also, I haven't found a steering sensitivty adjustment anywhere. It's way too twitchy, so I'm stuck making little tapping motions on the left stick, which reminds me of using the directional pad in PC racing games.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So this thread kinda died. I am still wondering about this game, and I can't try the demo. I really like the idea of the visceral racing aura this game seems to have, but...

Are there any parts of the game that actually look like this:

screenshot_193637.jpg

Or this:

screenshot_193639.jpg

Or are those shots before some dev decided to make a drastic(ally stupid) decision to cover everything with Billy Mays' Orange Glo? I can deal with that if some parts of the game look like the above shots. If any parts of the game look like that, I will go buy it instantly, as I think I can deal with the aggressive rubberband AI as long as my eyes aren't bleeding.

Edit: And here's an example of what I don't want the ENTIRE game to look like (other than the night races):

939160_20080604_screen005.jpg
    939160_20080320_screen004.jpg

Tzen on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can get the game to look slightly more like the top screenshots by googling on what files to edit in order to turn off the glow.

However, then the color filters also disappeared and the game suddenly looked like any normal game, and not at all that impressive.

Perhaps if you find our how to turn anti aliasing back on after the glow has been disabled...

EDIT: Found a good thread with screenshots on the ways to modify it on the PC...

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285006&page=2&pp=10

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    But there's no way to do it on the 360? Damn. Oh, well. PGR4 is hella cheap now anyway.

Tzen on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game looks stunning to me, but I guess that's just me.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    The game looks stunning to me, but I guess that's just me.

It's not THAT bad, I just don't want every single race in the game other than the night races to look like that. No weather effects is one thing, but no variety in the time of day is just bewildering. You actually don't like those strangely different looking shots where the game actually had some color and contrast to it?

Tzen on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aw. I picked up the demo last night after seeing Grid being reviewed on one of those G4TV shows and I beat the San Fran time trial record with 1:47.75 but I am late for the mustang challenge. :(

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know what the bitching about the graphics is about, personally I think they're pretty damn stunning. I just picked this up on the PS3 the other week and have finally got round to playing it. Awesome fun with my Driving Force Ex but I completely suck at the game. Managing to nail first a few times, second more often than not and the odd third. I'm playing on bog standard normal difficulty though and am, by and large, making the use of my flashbacks :D

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch