The New Comic Thread for Friday, August 22, 2008

168101112

Posts

  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh shit now he's name calling

    Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There was like a whole story arc in Something Positive where one of the characters couldn't decide if he should confront Orson Scott Card about his personal beliefs at a book signing.

    Considering that that comic is like 2/3 word balloons, I'm sure that there's enough written on the subject there to make up for us not discussing this shit. Like, ever.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh-huh. I'm the one name calling.

    OremLK on
  • KoshianKoshian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    you don't have to take differences in opinion so personally, orem

    Koshian on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Says the guy with the There Will Be Blood avatar

    But please, attack Ender's Game. I'd relish the argument.

    Having a kid be some super soldier is dumber than heeeellllll

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personal? This didn't get personal until Pooro started insulting my intelligence. I'd have enjoyed the argument, but whatever.

    OremLK on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    It's basically The Last Starfighter, except gay

    note: I still haven't read any O.S.C. books

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    I'd have enjoyed the argument, but whatever.

    Hehehe.

    Saying you enjoy an argument is misleading.

    What you actually enjoy is dismissing out of hand/ignoring the opinions of those who disagree with you, and then restating your own opinions, ad nauseum, until whoever you're "arguing" with just throws up their hands in disgust and leaves you to run around in the hamster wheel that is your logic.

    And before you accuse me of dismissing your opinions out of hand - it's totally what I'm doing. But at least I'm giving the courtesy of admitting it.

    You've only been here a few weeks and your shtick is already old, you silly goose.

    Poorochondriac on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, I'd seriously like to argue it--with actual reasoning and shit. Just because I haven't engaged in said arguments here, that doesn't mean I'm incapable of them. What do you want? How can I defend the book if I don't even know why you dislike it?

    OremLK on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can't defend against someone disliking a book/game/movie, and everyone here knows this.

    So they just call names and then laugh

    don't try to argue

    The Black Hunter on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can't defend against someone disliking a book/game/movie, and everyone here knows this.

    So they just call names and then laugh

    don't try to argue
    Context is everything, dude.

    I've had a whole fistload of Ender's Game debates 'round here.

    But there ain't no way that fellow is worth the hassle.

    Poorochondriac on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can't defend against someone disliking a book/game/movie, and everyone here knows this.

    So they just call names and then laugh

    don't try to argue

    Ain't nothing wrong with debating the relative merits of art.

    For instance: Ender's Game is not just well-written (though it is that, in most ways that count), it's an important novel because it tackles key moral issues and discusses them in a meaningful way. At its core, its theme is whether the morality of an action depends on the knowledge and motivation of the actor. This is an old theme, but Ender's Game communicates it in a particularly powerful way, due to Card's strong understanding of storytelling.

    The novel puts its main character through trials so potent that the reader sympathizes with Ender strongly enough that at times he in effect becomes Ender. (For the vast majority of people that the story works for at all, that is.) It does this in an honest, well-planned way, with complex characters who always act in-character, and a plot and setting that both maintain strong internal consistency.
    So when Ender unknowingly commits genocide, the reader feels with him the shock and horror at the action he has just committed. Even though he cannot be held responsible for the action by his peers and superiors, who manipulated him into taking it in the first place, he cannot--and should not--forgive himself for what he has done, until he makes it right. And perhaps not even then.

    Whether you agree with the philosophy the novel espouses or not, this is an important theme to discuss. Most find that it is communicated honestly and effectively by an entertaining story, which is why it is so well-regarded today, has sold so many copies, and won both of Science Fiction's most prestigious awards.

    OremLK on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    here is a bulleted list of points that you can argue about why ender's game is bad
    • it is the worst kind of self-masturbatory soft sci-fi dogshit for people with body odor and linux computers
    • reading ender's game is like reading a turd that has been cleverly shaped like a book
    • scott orson card used the proceeds from sales of the book to buy a farm where he can have sex with animals
    • your momma so fat she can't tie her own shoes

    Knob on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    your momma so fat she turned around and it was her birthday again

    Somestickguy on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    here is a bulleted list of points that you can argue about why ender's game is bad
    • it is the worst kind of self-masturbatory soft sci-fi dogshit for people with body odor and linux computers
    • reading ender's game is like reading a turd that has been cleverly shaped like a book
    • scott orson card used the proceeds from sales of the book to buy a farm where he can have sex with animals
    • your momma so fat she can't tie her own shoes
    Maybe throw in something about how popularity and quality are not interchangeable

    Poorochondriac on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    20080822.png

    Centipede Damascus on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    your momma so fat her integer can be expressed as x+fat, where x=more fat

    Knob on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes

    Poorochondriac on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes

    The people next door are now wondering why roars of laughter are coming from my bathroom

    Butler on
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your mother could really stand to lose some weight.

    Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DakalDakal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ender helped create the Great Shadow, who brings about the end of all humanity.

    Dakal on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, yeah, that reminds me. Because I wasn't around to mention it earlier:

    Ender's Game is the most overrated shit.

    Where the hell is Naporeon when I need him? Tag-team ragging on Ender's Game is, like, our thing.

    Really, all it was was a bunch of sci-fi wish fulfillment fantasy, which is almost all of the fantasy genre and quite a bit of sci-fi. Card is somewhere in the middle of the pack, there are certainly bigger hacks, but at least the Ender series has popcorn entertainment value.

    Brolo on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Card isn't the worst but that doesn't mean he's good. His work is firmly planted in the teen demographic and you shouldn't be enjoying his work once you're out of high school or you have some fucking growing up to do

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    and quit playing those dang pokemons >:[

    Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, that reminds me. Because I wasn't around to mention it earlier:

    Ender's Game is the most overrated shit.

    Where the hell is Naporeon when I need him? Tag-team ragging on Ender's Game is, like, our thing.

    Really, all it was was a bunch of sci-fi wish fulfillment fantasy, which is almost all of the fantasy genre and quite a bit of sci-fi. Card is somewhere in the middle of the pack, there are certainly bigger hacks, but at least the Ender series has popcorn entertainment value.
    :lol:

    Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I outgrew Card, but Pokemon is forever.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just read the first Discworld novel after hearing so many people rave about it. I enjoyed it, but I don't feel the need to read on.

    Just in case this hasn't been addressed, the first three novels are the weakest and you should by no means stop with the first one.

    Quoth on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, Card isn't the worst but that doesn't mean he's good. His work is firmly planted in the teen demographic and you shouldn't be enjoying his work once you're out of high school or you have some fucking growing up to do

    Or, you know, you could enjoy for the retro factor and remembering what it was like when you were younger.


    Wish-fulfillment is certainly a good way to put it, but it's also empowerment literature for young nerds.

    NotASenator on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, Card isn't the worst but that doesn't mean he's good. His work is firmly planted in the teen demographic and you shouldn't be enjoying his work once you're out of high school or you have some fucking growing up to do

    Or, you know, you could enjoy for the retro factor and remembering what it was like when you were younger.


    Wish-fulfillment is certainly a good way to put it, but it's also empowerment literature for young nerds.
    I think it's empowering to the same extent that watching some anime about an awkward boy that ends up being the only one that can pilot some advanced mecha that can save the human race and also of course ends up surrounded by beautiful girls is. Which is not at all.

    Also, I haven't read a discworld book in several years and I have no interest in reading any more. They were enjoyable enough at first, but it all just kind of runs together and becomes rather trite after reading most of the series.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dru, you are wrong about Discworld but that's ok, because otters are fucking adorable.

    Quoth on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, Card isn't the worst but that doesn't mean he's good. His work is firmly planted in the teen demographic and you shouldn't be enjoying his work once you're out of high school or you have some fucking growing up to do

    Or, you know, you could enjoy for the retro factor and remembering what it was like when you were younger.


    Wish-fulfillment is certainly a good way to put it, but it's also empowerment literature for young nerds.
    I think it's empowering to the same extent that watching some anime about an awkward boy that ends up being the only one that can pilot some advanced mecha that can save the human race and also of course ends up surrounded by beautiful girls is. Which is not at all.

    Also, I haven't read a discworld book in several years and I have no interest in reading any more. They were enjoyable enough at first, but it all just kind of runs together and becomes rather trite after reading most of the series.

    The difference is that Ender was not always surrounded by beautiful girls or anything, he was always alone and people more powerful than him were always bringing him down. In the face of that he still succeeds, which is what could be empowering.

    NotASenator on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah Ender had a pretty shitty time of it
    Their plan for him from day one involved isolating him from his peers so that he wouldn't form any attachments
    And the administrators kept heaping shit on him even after he succeeded

    Me Too! on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    eh, I think the book plays into the assumption most outcasts hold that society has made them an outcast, that it's everyone else's fault instead of accepting responsibility for their lack of social skills and actually learning to get along with people
    and I think Ender's Game plays right into that mindset
    he's so brave! everyone was working against him and he still succeeded! I can totally identify because no one likes me at school just because I only wash my hair once a week and constantly have cheeto dust on my shirts! I'll show them!

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I honestly find that Card has a complete inability to write different voices. Every character sounds the same. Women, children, foreigners... all the same.

    Quoth on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hate cheetos. You try to eat them and they just gunk up and cling to your teeth.

    Butler on
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I never identified with Ender
    I just thought that the way he came up with really mindfuck ways of winning, from everyone else's perspective, was pretty cool
    Also the fact that his main philosophy in combat was essentially "Look at it differently"

    Me Too! on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    eh, I think the book plays into the assumption most outcasts hold that society has made them an outcast, that it's everyone else's fault instead of accepting responsibility for their lack of social skills and actually learning to get along with people
    and I think Ender's Game plays right into that mindset
    he's so brave! everyone was working against him and he still succeeded! I can totally identify because no one likes me at school just because I only wash my hair once a week and constantly have cheeto dust on my shirts! I'll show them!

    Which would be just as narrow-minded as assuming that everyone who is picked on in school is only picked on because they are dirty pigs.

    NotASenator on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    I never identified with Ender
    I just thought that the way he came up with really mindfuck ways of winning, from everyone else's perspective, was pretty cool
    Also the fact that his main philosophy in combat was essentially "Look at it differently"

    This is why Ender's Game is on the required reading list for the Marine Corps.

    NotASenator on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it really
    Because goddamn

    Me Too! on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    people who say "why are you playing those pokemans" do so intentionally to annoy you

    Burden of Proof on
This discussion has been closed.