As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

• Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just watched the first video.

Dear.... God....

I would give myself an aneurysm if I tried to play this game. My monitor wouldn't last 5 minutes before I put the keyboard through it.

Watching someone else play it was great fun though, I had to laugh. My hat is off to the guy who made this game, and to anyone brave enough to play it.

I am eagerly awaiting more cursing and ridiculous blood splatters!

EDIT: I just watched the second video. Link is such an asshole.

I can't help but like this game. And you play it expertly. Keep it coming!

bamjo on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All right, three people is more than enough to get me to keep going. :lol:

Part three is coming up soon. It's exporting now and soon I'll have it uploaded to YouTube.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm watching them also, josh. You helped me figure out what to do with the boulder after Tyson. My only problem is getting away so those flying tiles don't block my jumps.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, the moon is a bitch until you know exactly where to go. It constantly attacks you throughout the game. You can safely bet that any scene with the moon in the "background" is a trap.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dracula is probably the easiest boss fight in the game.

I usually die to him repeatedly just to listen to the awesome VAing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Are you kidding? You must have gotten really lucky because he has several combinations of moves that result in your instant death no matter what you do. He is easy if he doesn't do that (or constantly teleport into the middle) but otherwise you gotta do him over and over.

Part three is up now. I had some problems again with this one. Telephone calls and crashing games, plus the mix isn't as good as I'd like, but keeping it in is better than playing until this point again.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll be going out of town this weekend, but the Let's Play will resume shortly thereafter. I'd like to thank everyone who has encouraged me to keep going with this; both of you have been really great.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow...finally got past that damned moon, and it only took me four tries to get past Link. I had an easier time falling off Link then midair jumping onto the platform instead of jumping against the wall like you did in your video, josh. That way, you don't have to worry very much about Link stabbing you or that spike on the roof.

Having a hell of a time on those moving spikes though. I think I'm done for the night, I fear for the safety of my keyboard and monitor if I keep trying today....

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I guess I just have to do things the hard way. Thanks for playing, pyro. We'll "suffer" through this monstrosity if we just stick together.

As for those spikes, you just have to practice. I didn't sound as surprised as I really was that I made it through them on my first try in the video. They were the source of a lot of expletives my first time through.

There's a part involving Tetris pieces coming up in the next video where I die way more times than I should. That's kind of the thing with this game, though: the more you play, the more stupid mistakes that you make. I wanted to get a lot further with the LP today but I had to stop because I was just being an idiot way too much. But you'll see that soon enough.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK, I'm going to update the OP with the videos from now on thanks to a suggestion by Halloween.

Again, please let me know if I should keep making these or stop. I don't want to waste my time or yours.

Man I'm going to get my name changed at this rate, no one ever gets it right :P

I can't wait to check the videos out (stupid internet). It's bound to be more funny than when you yourself play it, due to the uncontrolable rage.

EDIT: Ugh terrible top :'(

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    D'oh, sorry Helloween. I blame it on my terrible vision and anything else that isn't me being retarded.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fucking christ, I cannot play this game with a keyboard (or at all, but that's beside the point). I don't suppose you can use a PS3 controller with a PC?

forty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't know about a PS3 controller, but my 360 controller works great with this (as previously mentioned). Go to file, controls and select Joystick 1 as your main. It should work fine.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    pineconeboypineconeboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Posting in this thread so I can find it again. Great videos, very fun to watch.

Are we going to see any more from you of this game? :)

pineconeboy on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nice editing, man. Not only does it trim out the repetition for us, but it you manage to make to make it funny at the same time.

(Hah! Waddle-dee.)

Skexis on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm so glad to see this thread. I was thinking about making one a while ago, but the last thread made me think nobody would be interested.

I've spent an absurd amount of time playing this game since I discovered it a couple (few?) months ago. I started on hard and beat that, and then I completed very hard as well. My goal the last month or so has been to get as far as possible on impossible; my best to date was a couple of screens before Dracula where I died a stupid death because I was so nervous. I have a video of it, but I'd rather complete the top path before I upload it to youtube.

One thing I noticed people commenting on in the thread: you can skip certain "cutscenes" by pressing s. In particular you can skip Tyson and Dracula once the kid stops moving, saving a considerable amount of time.

I haven't watched josh's vids yet; I'll give them a look later once I get tired of playing for a bit.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    pineconeboy -- Certainly! I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll be back soon enough and I'll keep going. Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Skexis -- Thanks for noticing the editing. I started doing that at the second video because I'd gone a couple minutes past the YouTube limit (10) and needed to carve out the stuff that was just me messing up, but decided to leave the deaths in there because it was funny hearing myself swear/groan several times in a row. I'm actually not a very vulgar person but I decided to let it out for this playthrough since it's appropriate. Hope you enjoy the ones I'll be posting soon.

Smasher -- Heh, I actually asked a mod if I could make this before I did. When I did a search to see if this had been done before the only thing I saw was about 5 people whining that the game was too tough (if I remember right, some of them hadn't even tried it). I thought maybe doing a Let's Play would encourage some people to give it a chance. From the sound of it, you might be a better choice than me for a LP if somebody wanted to see things done right without mistakes. Luckily for me, this is the kind of game where people might want to see me fail.

Thanks to all three of you for showing some interest. I'm feeling a lot better about continuing this when I get back.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This post would be me blue-dotting the thread. Something about this game makes it really entertaning to watch even though I've seen other LP's of it.

I actually started playing this game a couple of days ago. I've managed to beat Tyson, Mecha-Birdo and Dracula, and I'm currently trying to beat the Clown Copter. Really hard, though playing on medium and having watched LP's of it certainly helps.

What's the difference between hard and the even harder modes, btw?

Nion on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The frequency of save points. I think very hard has roughly a dozen saves, and impossible has none at all.

Smasher on
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Liking your vids so far, I'll be keeping an eye out for more vids and maybe I'll even try the game again =p
    It's been quite a while ago but i'm pretty sure my first try ended in tears ^^;

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is just to let you all know that I didn't forget about this. My wife gave birth this week and I haven't had time. I know, I guess I just can't get my priorities straight.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is just to let you all know that I didn't forget about this. My wife gave birth this week and I haven't had time. I know, I guess I just can't get my priorities straight.

You'll never be The Guy with that kind of attitude mister.

Zek on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is a pretty good LP. I'll be watching this.
    :^:

Rent on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Definitely supporting this thread, I had never heard of this little game so I had to check it out, and 10hours+ and 2000+ deaths later on Hard "I'm the Guy!" =and with exception of 2 boss battles it was a ton of fun=

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    May I ask which boss battles caused you the most frustration?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DrPineappleDrPineapple Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good to see more IWBtG players out there. From the looks of the LP, you're really really good at the game, a lot better than I am (eg you got past the spikes in the section before mecha birdo on the first try).
    When I played, I did a hard runthrough that went basically the same route: Tyson - Birdo - Dracula (most entertaining fight) - restart - Zangeif - Mother Brain (hooollly shit) - restart - Wily. I stopped on wily because I was sort of getting bored with the game at that point... I guess. I really wish I had struck with it, because I knew that eventually I would beat the game if I kept trying.

Also the wily fight is really annoying with the "mash the z button to kill this bullet or too bad". I'm really bad at mashing buttons.

DrPineapple on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just got to the part in the graveyard with the moving spikes. I've gotten past all of them except those last two, and I've no idea how I'm supposed to move faster than them.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    May I ask which boss battles caused you the most frustration?

Sure no problem.
    Mother Brain and "The Guy
    Large headed
    " were by the far the most annoying fights due to sheer need of patience

In response to Rear Admiral Choco...
    Its not about being faster than the spikes as thats not possible, its about timing your jump and running to the right as fast as you can
    -the spikes are spaced in a way that makes it possible =pay attention to the gap they make when adjacent spikes go up and down= then decide when the best time to make the jump is (don't double jump)

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What Rubycat said. Don't start your jump when the way is clear, start it just before the way is clear.

Actually, Mother Brain is one of the easier ones if I recall my first playthrough correctly. Once you figure out the "magic spot", it's not difficult at all. The Guy killed me so many times before I figured him out, I'm surprised my monitor doesn't have a 360 controller through it. Now I could probably do it within 10 tries.

My favorite boss battle is probably still the Dragon Devil. I haven't gotten there again yet, but it's a very satisfying fight that relies more on skill than on cheap tricks or knowing exactly what will happen before the fight even starts (except for the very last part).

Hopefully this thread has started a lot more people down the path of The Guy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I couldn't find a sweet spot for mother brain. I tried jumping into the glass after breaking it to only die every time -even just edging the broken glass would kill me so I gave up with it.

Instead I jumped into the shields and destroyed them as fast as possible then jumped back and forth between mother brains platform and the last shield dodging spagettios as they came at me.
    -I died nearly 200 times against Mother Brain- not counting the first two to Metroids cause I "thought it couldn't be this easy here"

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »

Yes now you must become The Guy so you can tell you offspring "Offspring, I became The Guy so you can do great things"

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jesus, the area right before
    Zangief
    is kicking my ass. I just took a look at my deaths, and im at something like 424 :s

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »

Yes now you must become The Guy so you can tell you offspring "Offspring, I became The Guy so you can do great things"

Like kill you to become The Guy.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Part 4A is going up shortly. Sorry for the long delay, those of you who are faithful. I had a long string of mishaps and the aforementioned birth.

I made so many mistakes in this part of the game that Kraidgief (and the portion prior) needed to be split up into two different videos. I'm only done editing one for now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I finally beat this game on the final difficulty a week ago. Man. Good fucking times.

I still think Dracula is the easiest boss besides Mecha Birdo though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    By "final difficulty" do you mean to tell me you actually beat the game on Impossible?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    By "final difficulty" do you mean to tell me you actually beat the game on Impossible?

I think so. That's the one with almost no saves? I was stuck on the Guy for four months, so I can't remember if that was the one.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No no, Impossible has absolutely no saves whatsoever. You have to beat the game in one sitting without dying one time while everything is trying to kill you and can do so in one hit. If someone can beat the game on Impossible, it would be a good excuse to get video games entered as an Olympic event.

You probably beat it on Very Hard, which has about half the save points of Hard (usually just before and after bosses). It might as well be the "final difficulty", since it's the hardest one that's possible to beat.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, that's the one. I probably started in impossible and died and set it lower.

Thing is it's not really that much harder on this difficulty. You still need exact timing and perfect memorization.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is simultaneously hilarious and terrible.

Terrendos on