As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audio from my Computer to my Stereo.

artooartoo Registered User regular
So I hooked up my computer to my HDTV yesterday no problems, but I have no idea what to do about my sound.

Sooooo.... How do I go about getting sound working?

Comp Specs: XFX 790i / 9800 GTX / 2GB DDR3 / Intel Core 2 Duo (Not sure of the model number atm.)

I'm not an audio guy so, basically I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to the subject. Sorry. :P

artoo on

• Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The proper connection depends on the outputs of your computer and the inputs of your stereo.

TV: If you go to the sound control panel (NOT the audio contol, Sound in control panel) you should be able to select HDMI as your audio device.

Stereo audio: Get a cable with a miniplug (like a headphone plug) on one end and RCA plugs on the other. Available at Radio Shack and all the finer rip off electronics stores.

Surround sound: If both your stereo and computer have optical connections, get an optical audio cable and use that.

There are more options depending on your specific situation.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Simple jack-phono lead if your stereo has a phono aux in.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The proper connection depends on the outputs of your computer and the inputs of your stereo.

TV: If you go to the sound control panel (NOT the audio contol, Sound in control panel) you should be able to select HDMI as your audio device.

Hmmmm.... I had no idea about that. I was using an HDMI cable, time to try!

artoo on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    On my TV at least, I have to set the control panel to "DVI" not "HDMI"

When set to HDMI, it expects audio from the HDMI cable, which computers do not provide. However, when set to DVI, it takes audio from the analog connection instead. Then you just hook your sound card in with a Y-adaptor cable.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When set to HDMI, it expects audio from the HDMI cable, which computers do not provide.
    Most manufacturers are including an audio chip on modern video cards. I believe most 9800 GTX cards come with an HDMI adapter that provides sound if you pick the correct audio device in the Sounds and Audio Devices control panel.

EDIT: Maybe I'm slightly wrong, I guess it's common for NVidia cards to come with adapters that need you to plug into the computer's optical audio connection. But whatever, it still gets sound to the HDMI cable.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some newer Nvidia cards come with a a connector with two wires that connects to spdif out on your sound card or motherboard.
    Also it's more common for motherboard to have coax spdif out then optical spdif. If your motherboard has a lonely phono connector it is probably digital sound out.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have a little connection in the side of my 9800 GTX, I'll post a picture later. (Don't know what spdif cables look like. :P)

artoo on