As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[INFECT ON!] Pandemic - "C'mon, get down with the sickness..."

• AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That would make my Medic pallet-swap to Badass, as the only character able to kill 3 zombies a turn. :P

Akinos on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well okay then.

Action Point 1: Charter Flight to Riadyh
    Action Point 2: Move to Cairo.
    Action Point 3: Set up a Research Station.
    Action Point 4: Treat Disease in Cairo.

Okay, I'm back, and ready to roll.

Drawn... and I've gotta stop here, since one of your cards was a special Event. "One Quiet Night: The next player to begin the Playing the Infector phase of their turn may skip that phase entirely."

Do you want to use it now, or save it for later?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Save it, definitely. I think we're fairly safe from exploding to death right now.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nice a special event! You go krata! <3

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    I feel loved woo!

(You just weatch, now the next player is going to draw "You All Die Five Times" and then i'll be hated)

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    Hm, I think I have to wait for PMAvers to draw the next card before I go, in case it's an Epidemic..

If it's not:

1. Move to Chicago.
    2. Move to San Francisco.
    3. Treat San Francisco.
    4. Move to Manilla.

Akinos on
    edited August 2008
    Save it, definitely. I think we're fairly safe from exploding to death right now.

Probably for the best.

INFECTOR PHASE:

First card was Bangkok, and has a orange/red/whatever you want to call the color cube being placed.
    Second card was Osaka, and got a orange cube as well.

Board state at the end of turn 3:
    turn003.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    Hm, I think I have to wait for PMAvers to draw the next card before I go, in case it's an Epidemic..

If it's not:

1. Move to Chicago.
    2. Move to San Francisco.
    3. Treat San Francisco.
    4. Move to Manilla.

Okay, here we go. San Francisco breathes a sigh of relief.

Draw: Wow, *still* no Epidemics. One's gotta be comin'...

Infector Phase:
    Atlanta gets a blue cube.
    Shanghai gets a orange cube.

Board state at the end of turn 4:
    turn004.jpg

It's back to Inquisitor's turn.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright... I think that if the draws stay lucky, Akinos and I can stamp out the Red virus early. We've got four Red Cities between us; one or two more will let us build in Manilla or Shanghai and get an early start on a cure!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2008
    Action Point 1: Treat disease in Mumbai.
    Action Point 2: Treat disease in Mumbai.
    Action Point 3: Drive to Karachi.
    Action Point 4: Treat disease in Karachi.

Should be a nice damage control turn. Hopefully some more blacks will be drawn and we can cure black soon too.

But an Epidemic will be drawn soon. Within this next wave of turns, even.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Action Point 1: Treat disease in Mumbai.
    Action Point 2: Treat disease in Mumbai.
    Action Point 3: Drive to Karachi.
    Action Point 4: Treat disease in Karachi.

But an Epidemic will be drawn soon. Within this next wave of turns, even.

Processing this now... moves look fine.

Draw:

...Wellp, there she is. First draw was okay, second was a Epidemic.
    The card pulled from the bottom was Delhi, which gets three black cubes.
    The infector discard pile gets shuffled now, and tossed back on top of the deck.

INFECTOR TURN:

Shanghai gets one orange cube.
    San Francisco gets a blue cube.

Board status at the end of turn 5:
    turn005.jpg

Ianator's up.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Okay, being the Scientist and all I've been keeping close tabs on when and where the outbreaks have been occurring. I've been tracking the initial outbreaks, plus the ones that have have been drawn on our turns. I've assembled a list, and now that an epidemic has occurred we can use this information to our advantage, knowing that these locations will be struck first.

Here's the list, with the locations that have already been hit struck through. We can use this list to help track the future outbreaks somewhat and plan apropriately:
    Moscow
    Karachi
    Paris
    New York
    Bangkok
    Osaka
    Atlanta
    [strike]Shanghai[/strike]
    Delhi
    [strike]San Francisco[/strike]
    London
    Bogota
    Mumbai
    Istanbul
    Cairo
    Seoul
    Taipei
    Sydney

I think this is right, though, peer review is always appreciated.

Delhi needs to be dealt with. It's on the list which means it will occur again and if it's drawn we will have an outbreak. Every turn that goes by that Delhi is just drawn just means that next turn the odds of it happening go up. If we can't/don't want to deal with it right away, now might be a good time for quiet night?

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    I can get to Delhi on my turn and remove one cube. That'll get us out of immediate danger there, but obviously it's still at risk. If there's ever a consensus on when you guys want me to pla Quiet Night, I will, but I do suggest saving it for a time when we can, with a couple of quiet turns, eradicate one disease entirely.

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    Well Ianator is up next. He could fly to Jakarta and then get to Delhi and remove one. If not, we risk an outbreak. Admittedly the odds aren't all that staggering for it to happen yet. Two cards get drawn out of a pile of 16, and only one will trigger the outbreak.

Decisions, decisions. I'm off to go teach some friends how to play settlers, I trust you all to play wisely.

Of course I also just realized that we have enough orange cards to cure the orange disease if we can get 4 to my character or 5 to anyone else.

Inquisitor on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... If I use my Jakarta, we won't have enough Red cards to cure it, but we aren't anywhere near a center anyways...

Any more suggestions? I'd like to make sure we're doing the right thing here.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2008
    Hmm...

Well, we can always get more Red cards. The question is, can we get them in time?

Take a Direct Flight to Jakarta
    Drive to Chennai
    Drive to Delhi
    Treat viruses in Delhi.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2008
    Ianator wrote: »
    Hmm...

Well, we can always get more Red cards. The question is, can we get them in time?

Take a Direct Flight to Jakarta
    Drive to Chennai
    Drive to Delhi
    Treat viruses in Delhi.

Processing...

Draw:
    San Francisco
    Special Event: Resilient Population: Take a card from the Infection Discard Pile and remove it from the game.

Yell when you want to use it.

INFECTOR TURN:
    Taipei gets a orange cube.
    Sydney gets a orange cube as well.

Board status at the end of turn 6:
    turn006.jpg

Krata's up.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I can clean Cairo and Istanbul both, to make sure they stay off our radar. Or, alternately, I can fly to Ho Chi Minh, hit TaiPei twice, and save that one, but Akinos is already right near that and can clean the whole city in one action... without my wasting an orange card.

Alternately, I can fly back to Atlanta, move to Bogota, and clean out the last Yellow from the map, which sets us up for an Eradication... IF we get lucky on our draws.

Opinions?

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    Since Tapai was just drawn, it's safe for now, and I can take care of it.

I would go with your first instinct and stay near the other players so we can get some trading going on.

edit: Since I have to run to work I'm going to post a little out of turn. Please forgive me! If nothing explodes, I would like to:

1. Move to Taipei.
    2. Treat Taipei.
    3. Move to Shanghai.
    4. Treat Shanghai.

Akinos on
    edited August 2008
    Updated list:
    Moscow
    Karachi
    Paris
    New York
    Bangkok
    Osaka
    Atlanta
    Delhi
    London
    Bogota
    Mumbai
    Istanbul
    Cairo
    Seoul
    [strike]Taipei[/strike]
    [strike]Sydney[/strike]

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Since Tapai was just drawn, it's safe for now, and I can take care of it.

I would go with your first instinct and stay near the other players so we can get some trading going on.

edit: Since I have to run to work I'm going to post a little out of turn. Please forgive me! If nothing explodes, I would like to:

1. Move to Taipei.
    2. Treat Taipei.
    3. Move to Hong Kong.
    4. Treat Hong Kong.

Noted, although you're probably going to want to go to Shanghai, since that's the one with two cubes. Hong Kong's empty.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Woops! That's what I meant... Thanks. :)

Akinos on
    edited August 2008
    I can clean Cairo and Istanbul both, to make sure they stay off our radar. Or, alternately, I can fly to Ho Chi Minh, hit TaiPei twice, and save that one, but Akinos is already right near that and can clean the whole city in one action... without my wasting an orange card.

Alternately, I can fly back to Atlanta, move to Bogota, and clean out the last Yellow from the map, which sets us up for an Eradication... IF we get lucky on our draws.

Opinions?

What's an Eradication?

I say we try to hold on to orange cards to try to set up trades, if we can.

Also, damn, I am really enjoying this game. Cant wait for them to reprint it.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    A disease becomes eradicated when it is cured AND all of it's cubes are removed from the board. When a disease becomes eradicated all of it's cards remain in the deck, but have no effect.

Akinos on
    edited August 2008
    A disease becomes eradicated when it is cured AND all of it's cubes are removed from the board. When a disease becomes eradicated all of it's cards remain in the deck, but have no effect.

Oh, shiny!

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Sorry about being so late in actually putting my actions through. I ended up lying down to watch some TV at around 3 and woke up at 9:30. Then Ahava came home and we watched some DVDs and then I remembered "oh shit I didn't actually DO my turn!"

So yeah. My previous plan shall be put into motion because I are the awesome.

Action Point 1: Treat Cairo.
    Action Point 2: Drive to Istanbul.
    Action Point 3: Treat Istanbul.
    Action Point 4: Treat Istanbul again. Become Hero of Istanbul, throw party. Joy.

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    Yaaaaay! Krata wooo!

*crosses fingers and hopes the world does not explode in terrible diseases*

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    If Krata doesn't draw an Epidemic, I stand by my earlier actions when the time comes.

Akinos on
    edited August 2008
    If I draw an Epidemic I will put on my anime puppy dog eyes and hope the world cna forgive me.

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    Sorry about being so late in actually putting my actions through. I ended up lying down to watch some TV at around 3 and woke up at 9:30. Then Ahava came home and we watched some DVDs and then I remembered "oh shit I didn't actually DO my turn!"

So yeah. My previous plan shall be put into motion because I are the awesome.

Action Point 1: Treat Cairo.
    Action Point 2: Drive to Istanbul.
    Action Point 3: Treat Istanbul.
    Action Point 4: Treat Istanbul again. Become Hero of Istanbul, throw party. Joy.

Rock, rock on.

Moves were okay.

Draw:
    Atlanta
    Special Event: Government Grant: Add a Research Station to any city for free.

INFECTOR'S TURN:

Delhi gets a black cube.
    Bogota gets a yellow cube.

Board status at the end of turn 7:
    turn007.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2008
    1. Move to Taipei.
    2. Treat Taipei.
    3. Move to Shanghai.
    4. Treat Shanghai.

Okay, moves were okay as well.

Draw:
    ...cripes.
    Special Event: Forecast: Examine the top six cards of the Infection Draw Pile, rearrange them in the order of your choice, then lace them back on the pile.
    Special Event: Airlift: Move a pawn (yours or another players) to any city. You must have a player's permission to move their pawn.

Both you can use anytime.

INFECTOR'S TURN:
    New York gets a blue cube.
    Cairo gets a black cube.

Board status at the end of turn 8:
    turn008.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2008
    My turn then eh? And don't worry. There's no way we can hit an epidemic yet. The epidemic card got discarded and all the old infected cities got placed on top of the pile. Speaking of which updated list ahoy!
    Moscow
    Karachi
    Paris
    Bangkok
    Osaka
    Atlanta
    London
    Mumbai
    Istanbul
    Seoul
    [strike]Bogota[/strike]
    [strike]Cairo[/strike]
    [strike]Delhi [/strike]
    [strike]New York[/strike]
    [strike]Taipei[/strike]
    [strike]Sydney[/strike]

So we have a pretty good idea of where stuff is going to land. Anyway, I figure I should spend my actions to go and clear stuff out because you guys all have special event cards and we might be better off having you spend action points on those, to that end.

1. Drive to Delhi
    2. Treat Delhi
    3. Treat Delhi
    4. Treat Delhi

Hullo Ianator! On your turn could you please trade me moscow, pretty please? Assuming I don't happen to draw two black on my own. Trade me moscow especially if I draw one black.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Sure thing! Now to figure out what I'm going to be doing on my turn...

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited August 2008
    Well, we'll see what cities get infected. Somebody probably needs to travel back over to the western hemisphere and some point and start cleaning things up a little bit though at some point. But probably no rush for that quite yet.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    We officially have enough Blues to Cure the Blue disease too.

We might really want to consider making a concerted effort to Eradicate one or more diseases, as a proactive measure BEFORE we hit the inevitable Epidemics. I've got two blues in my hand, and one Orange. Ianator has two blues, an orange, and a black. Inquisitor has two blacks, a yellow, and a blue. Aknos has a blue, a yellow, two oranges. That means we can cure either the Orange or the Blue diseases, if we can get together, trade some, and get someonet o a reasearch center. Assuming, of course, that nobody needs to fly for awhile.

We've got enough special events that if, on his next turn, Akinos wants to ensure we won't get an Epidemic (those're drawn from the Infection Draw Pile, yes?) we could make a seirious concerted effort, especially if I blew my One Quiet Night to extend our "safe zone" by a turn. We really don'ty want to hit a streak of multiple Epidemics after all. We have yet to hit a single Outbreak, thank goodness, but it's only a matter of time before things build up on it, right?

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    Well, if I'm understanding the rules correctly the Epidemic cards are shuffled somewhat evenly spaced out into the Infection deck.

When we hit the Epidemic card, it does it's thing, dropping the 3 cubes on one location and then it takes all the infection cards that have been played so far and places them on top of the deck. The epidemic card, however, is discarded into the player discard pile, not the infection discard pile.

This means that all the locations that have been hit, will be hit again before we will see any new cards. Thus the list that I've been keeping track of. That means, if my theory is correct, that there will not be any more epidemics until we are done with all the cards on that list. So, no fear of epidemics yet.

An outbreak occurs when a cube gets placed on a location that already has three cubes of that color. We are safe on that front for now.

Since we are in a relatively good position I agree that we should work on getting rid of a disease. Trading is tricky, however, because if you want to trade the moscow card to someone both players have to be standing on moscow. Ianator is the exception however. Ianator can trade cards TO people while he is anywhere. Unfortunately he can only receive cards FROM people in the same way as everyone else.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Oh god, wait, flaw in my theory.

Epidemics come from the player draw pile not from the infection draw pile so one could happen at any time now.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Then one possibility is for you to head to Atlanta, meet me there, let me trade you my Atlana card (which will leave you in a Research STation anyway), then let Ianator trade you two more blues. Then we work on treatng all Blue cubes, while the other two work on damage control elsewhere while you and I Eradicate blue.

Of course, that puts us at risk if there's an Outbreak elsewhere, but I think it's a risk worth taking.

PLus, another uside is that if we Eradicate blue, then I can drop Research STations in the other two areas and move the one out of Atlanta that we won't need anymore for easier shuttling.

EDIT: Well poo.

KrataLightblade on
    edited August 2008
    That's still a good plan. We still know when the basic infections are going to happen, just not the epidemics.

So we are still very solid.

Inquisitor on
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    1. Drive to Delhi
    2. Treat Delhi
    3. Treat Delhi
    4. Treat Delhi

Okay, I'm back from work.

Move & actions were fine...

Draw:
    Hullo Ianator! On your turn could you please trade me moscow, pretty please? Assuming I don't happen to draw two black on my own. Trade me moscow especially if I draw one black.

...I swear I didn't stack the deck or anything.
    Mumbai
    Algiers

Seriously, you guys are having the *best* luck possible in this game.

INFECTOR'S TURN
    Bangkok gets a orange cube.
    Mumbai gets a black cube.

Board status at the end of turn 9:
    turn009.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg