As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

LuxLux Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
Comic books movies past/present/future, and sometimes some games. Following the format of the last thread,

Upcoming movies:

Punisher: Warzone
moviepunisherfq5.jpg
Punisher: War Zone[2] is an upcoming 2008 action film based on the comic book vigilante and anti-hero The Punisher, a fictional character whose adventures are published by Marvel Comics. The film is a reboot, not a sequel to 2004's The Punisher, directed by Jonathan Hensleigh.[3] It will be released in North America by Lions Gate Entertainment and will be released in other parts of the world by Columbia Pictures.
Wikipedia

The Spirit
moviespiritni5.jpg
The Spirit (also known as Will Eisner's The Spirit) is an upcoming 2008 American film adaptation based on the newspaper strip of the same name created by Will Eisner. Batfilm, OddLot, and Lionsgate are set to produce.[1] Frank Miller wrote and directed the film, which stars Gabriel Macht as The Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson as his nemesis, The Octopus. Filming began in October 2007, with release scheduled for Christmas Day, 2008.
Wikipedia

Watchmen
moviewatchmenpu0.jpg
Watchmen is a 2009 film adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' comic book limited series of the same name, directed by Zack Snyder. The film stars Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Matthew Goode, Stephen McHattie and Carla Gugino. Set in 1985, the film follows a group of former vigilantes as war begins to break out between the United States and the Soviet Union.
Wikipedia

Whiteout
moviewhiteoutmn7.jpg
Whiteout is a 2009 feature film adaptation of the 1999 comic book Whiteout by Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber. The film is directed by Dominic Sena and stars Kate Beckinsale and Gabriel Macht in the lead roles. Filming is currently taking place in Canada. Whiteout is slated to be released on April 24, 2009
Wikipedia

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
moviewolverineis0.jpg
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is an upcoming superhero film based on the fictional Marvel Comics character Wolverine, due for release on May 1, 2009. The film is directed by Gavin Hood and stars Hugh Jackman as the title character. It is a prequel to the X-Men film trilogy, focusing on the mutant Wolverine and his time with Team X, before Wolverine's skeleton was bonded with the indestructible metal adamantium.
Wikipedia

Upcoming games:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
arkhamjr7.jpg
In Batman: Arkham Asylum the player assumes the role of Batman as he delivers The Joker to Arkham Asylum. There, the imprisoned super-villains have set a trap and an immersive combat gaming experience unfolds. With an original script penned by Emmy Award-winning Batman writer Paul Dini, the game brings the universe of DC Comics' detective to life!
Kotaku

DC Universe Online
gamedcucm0.jpg
The first project out of Sony Online's Austin studio, this action-based MMO explores the various worlds of DC Comics' superheroes and villains. Key collaborators include comic veterans Jim Lee (who serves as the game's Executive Creative Director), Ale Garza, Carlos D'Anda, and Scott Iwahashi, in addition to EverQuest developers, Chris Cao and Shawn Lord.
GameTrailers

LEGO Batman: The Videogame
gamelegorh4.jpg
LEGO Batman: The Videogame brings the one-and-only Caped Crusader to life in a completely original storyline. Players will take control of the Dynamic Duo, Batman (Bruce Wayne) and Robin, as well as bonus hero Nightwing to fight Gotham City’s most notorious criminals including The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, Scarecrow, and many more. Players can also explore their wicked side and fight their way through the game as the villains, experiencing the game from a completely different point of view with all-new criminal objectives.
GameTrailers

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
mkdclr4.jpg
When a cataclysmic force merges conquerors from two universes, conflict is inevitable. Kombat forces friends to fight, worlds to collide, and unlikely alliances to be forged. In order to save all they know, the heroes and villains of Mortal Kombat must wage war against the combined might of the DC Universe (DCU). How can either side prevail when rage blinds them to the dark threat poised to destroy them all?
GameTrailers

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
gamewebog9.jpg
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows immerse players in an all-new action-adventure saga that gives them unprecedented control, never before seen in a Spider-Man game. Armed throughout the battle and confronted by an unrecognizable New York City, players choose to play as a heroic web-slinger or a volatile, destructive anti-hero, fighting with or against a vast number of fan-favorite Marvel heroes and villains, switching instantly between sides, and deciding which missions to undertake to save mankind.
GameTrailers

Ultimate Alliance 2: Fusion
Mua2f.JPG
Activision announced there will be 24 heroes in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Fusion. In addition to Iron Man and the Invisible Woman that we previously knew about, Venom, Green Goblin, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America and Wolverine (in an old classic costume) are confirmed. Activision also revealed that the story involves a global assault based around Latvia. So you can count on Doctor Doom being in the game. Lastly, we found out that there is the new ability to share super powers between different characters and customize them in new ways. We're guessing this is where the Fusion subtitle comes from.
GameTrailers

Lux on

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Without spoiling anything, what's Whiteout about? I mean, aside from snow, guns, and a lady.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Without spoiling anything, what's Whiteout about? I mean, aside from snow, guns, and a lady.

basically it's a murder mystery set at mcmurdo station in antarctica. carrie stetko is a us marshal who has to figure out what's going on. it's particularly notable for being an early greg rucka story that has a sexy british spy lady who seems suspiciously similar to one tara chase.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh shit I didn't know Paul Dini was writing the Arkham Asylum game

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm kinda looking forward to Web of Shadows. Though I fear it'll be just like Spider-Man 3

Kyougu on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    it looks super good

so hopefully not

Sars_Boy on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In response to the question about how long that cameo is in Hulk Vs Wolverine, I'm not quite sure. You clearly see Wolverine fighting Omega Red for a few moments, but most of it seems to just be him and Hulk. Although he does fight a bear while in his 'experiment' costume. It seems to be more than a cameo, because he had quite a few lines, and all the people in the interview seemed really happy to finally get him into something.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

I'm not convinced that a game's writer reflects the quality of the game's story. It just seems like they don't dictate where the game goes, they just fill in the blanks, mostly writing lines. Like, Justice League Heroes was written by Dwayne McDuffie, but the story was pretty mediocre. The only thing that seemed to be of good quality were a few of the one liners.

Lux on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Lux wrote: »

I'm not convinced that a game's writer reflects the quality of the game's story. It just seems like they don't dictate where the game goes, they just fill in the blanks, mostly writing lines. Like, Justice League Heroes was written by Dwayne McDuffie, but the story was pretty mediocre. The only thing that seemed to be of good quality were a few of the one liners.

you know who wrote the predator: concrete jungle game from a few years back?

grant fucking morrison

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

...and also every character is getting a redesign by guys from wildstorm to make them more X-TREME and marketable towards a mass video game audience. Hence, Batman being covered in rivets and standing dong-high to killer croc. I can't help but see this game being this generation's Dark Tomorrow.

But not to be a full downer, I'm really psyched about Lego Batman and am hoping to see some obscure/ oddball characters show up in that. And, I'll probably check out the turd of a Mortal Kombat game if there's a quick way to do full costume unlocks to see all of the character models.

Also, the new character design for Jax makes him look like a Turk from scrubs with a fatter face.

Does anyone know anything about the accompanying comic that DC's supposed to be pumping out for the game?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The DCU online things sort of makes me wonder.

LF25M raid mnd-cntrl Supes.

Mr Pink on
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »

grant fucking morrison

Yeah, that's always struck me as pretty funny. And I suppose Dini isn't infallible.

But still!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure that they have officially announced Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 if you want to add that to the list.

I'm really looking forward to Batman Arkham. Not because of the action but because of the detective crap and sneaking. Scaring the crap out of people is the best part of the job, and I hope I get to do plenty of it.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Game Informer just ran a huge feature on Ultimate Alliance 2. Looks good.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's new besides team-up attacks?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's new besides team-up attacks?

I don't have the issue right here, but they also said all of the environments would be destructible, so you could use them against foes, or in attacks, etc. Also, apparently the level up system and equipment systems are little more understandable.

They also hinted at a mission where Tony Stark and Captain America have a disagreement, possibly splitting the teams in half.

Mr Pink on
    edited August 2008
    Oh, good. Being able to destroy every wall (albeit to reveal an unbreakable wall underneath it) was something I missed in Ultimate Alliance.

Lux on
    edited August 2008
    I remember reading somewhere, maybe in Game Informer, or maybe somewhere else, that Ultimate Alliance 2 would use the Civil War as a backdrop to set the stage for the game. Its supposed to be a starting point. And while the heroes are waring with each other, the villains use that as an opportunity to make their move. Or something.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure if this was discussed in the previous Comic Movies thread, but I'm gonna put this out here for discussion:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2612613/Cher-%20to-play-Catwoman-in-next-Batman-film.html

I know nothing about Telegraph as a journalism source. I don't know if they are reliable or not. But my friend linked me that article, and frankly, the mere thought of it makes me shudder.

Nolan has done some AMAZING things with Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, but casting Cher as an older version of Catwoman just makes me gag. Catwoman is supposed to have sexual tension with Batman. That's her thing. And a 62 year old Cher just makes me want to stab myself in the face. There's no way Bruce Wayne could ever be attracted to that.

Lucascraft on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I heard that rumor as well, and found it equally disappointing. I understand that Nolan has been playing somewhat fast and loose with canon, but that takes it to a whole other level. One that sucks.

Quoth on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was discussed in the previous Comic Movies thread, but I'm gonna put this out here for discussion:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2612613/Cher-%20to-play-Catwoman-in-next-Batman-film.html

I know nothing about Telegraph as a journalism source. I don't know if they are reliable or not. But my friend linked me that article, and frankly, the mere thought of it makes me shudder.

Nolan has done some AMAZING things with Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, but casting Cher as an older version of Catwoman just makes me gag. Catwoman is supposed to have sexual tension with Batman. That's her thing. And a 62 year old Cher just makes me want to stab myself in the face. There's no way Bruce Wayne could ever be attracted to that.

"Filming of the new Batman instalment, provisionally entitled The Caped Crusader, is due to begin in Vancouver early next year."

Yes, because that doesn't just reek of bullshit.

HadjiQuest on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

anyone who actually believes this should be dragged out in the streets and shot

Diablo Fett on
    edited August 2008
    Did I say I believed it?

No

I said I didn't know how trustworthy the source was.

Lucascraft on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's ok Lucas your just the messenger and therefor deserve to be shot

smokmnky on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nolan's already said that Catwoman wouldn't be in his films.

Oh desperate internet. When will you learn?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

grant fucking morrison

Yeah, that's always struck me as pretty funny. And I suppose Dini isn't infallible.

But still!
    And apparently Warren Ellis did quite a bit of writing for the upcoming game Dead Space.

Wildcat on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

grant fucking morrison

But still!
    And apparently Warren Ellis did quite a bit of writing for the upcoming game Dead Space.

And Templesmith did the tie-in comic.

So they were both working on this game in seperate capacities instead of working together and doing more Fell!

BAH!

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited August 2008
    Well, because it doesn't fit any other thread, and even though it's been probably been stated before...

Does anyone find the lack of iron man trades that are still in print to be kind of shocking?

I always check out what's going on with a hero after seeing a movie, and vaguely follow all the big storylines and crossovers as they're announced, so I knew about extremis and invincible, but hadn't read any of it.

When I went to pick something up, I was pretty shocked to see all that's really in print is the Invincible trades, and past extremis they all have pretty poor reviews. I guess there were a few limiteds collected as trades as well, but most of them also have awful reviews and quickly went out of print.

I ended up grabbing the best of those limiteds, hypervelocity, on recommendation from some people here as well as positive amazon reviews. It's great, but it's also just a big, passionate love letter to Ghost in the Shell (right down to the capekiller leader being named Aramaki).

On the more classic front, all I can find is a hardcover of the demon in a bottle story (which I scored on super-discount at a going-out-of-business sale for a hobbyshop), a trade of various issues showing off different armors, and an over-priced and hard to find collection of Armor Wars. There are also three essential volumes, but it's still far far behind all the other essential books.

HadjiQuest on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

grant fucking morrison

But still!

I believe Morrison wrote the latest Area 51 game also.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

grant fucking morrison

But still!

That would explain marylin manson voiced alien....
    But I have read somewhere that Morrissons ideas for the predator game were so out there, virtually nothing he made got into the game....

muninn on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Well, because it doesn't fit any other thread, and even though it's been probably been stated before...

Does anyone find the lack of iron man trades that are still in print to be kind of shocking?

I always check out what's going on with a hero after seeing a movie, and vaguely follow all the big storylines and crossovers as they're announced, so I knew about extremis and invincible, but hadn't read any of it.

When I went to pick something up, I was pretty shocked to see all that's really in print is the Invincible trades, and past extremis they all have pretty poor reviews. I guess there were a few limiteds collected as trades as well, but most of them also have awful reviews and quickly went out of print.

I ended up grabbing the best of those limiteds, hypervelocity, on recommendation from some people here as well as positive amazon reviews. It's great, but it's also just a big, passionate love letter to Ghost in the Shell (right down to the capekiller leader being named Aramaki).

On the more classic front, all I can find is a hardcover of the demon in a bottle story (which I scored on super-discount at a going-out-of-business sale for a hobbyshop), a trade of various issues showing off different armors, and an over-priced and hard to find collection of Armor Wars. There are also three essential volumes, but it's still far far behind all the other essential books.

As great a character as Iron Man is, and as much as people love him, he has actually had very few actual good stories. Or villains for that matter.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

As great a character as Iron Man is, and as much as people love him, he has actually had very few actual good stories. Or villains for that matter.

Even keeping that in mind, it's really surprising to see that there are more volumes of Essential Tomb of Dracula than there are of Iron Man.

Is there any promise on the horizon for shellhead? I know John Faverau was doing a limited, and I guess there are more limiteds on the way.

HadjiQuest on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man series is fucking incredible

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man series is fucking incredible

And the best part about it, its still new. People who are just starting out could probably find the first few issues.

Lucascraft on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think this belongs here...

Newsarama is reporting that the Preacher series is pretty much dead
    Mark Steven Johnson, who wrote the pilot and was set to serve as an executive producer, tells Comics Continuum that the new head of the cable network thought the series “was just too dark and too violent and too controversial.”

“It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word,” says Johnson, who directed Daredevil and Ghost Rider. “They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I’ve learned my lesson on that front and I won’t do it again. So I’m afraid it’s dead at HBO.”

I know Johnson didn't do a great job with Ghost Rider, but I really liked Daredevil, so I had hopes for this to turn out good.

Wonder if Song of Ice and Fire is next.

noir_blood on
    edited August 2008
    muninn wrote: »

grant fucking morrison

But still!

That would explain marylin manson voiced alien....
    But I have read somewhere that Morrissons ideas for the predator game were so out there, virtually nothing he made got into the game....

I think it was an Area 51 movie script, not the game itself.

Or maybe both.

Lux on
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cause I got nothing else of substance to add to this thread, here is Jokers fatality for MK vs DC:

Obviously its at the end of the video, but before then you can see some of Jokers moves (yay boxing glove!)

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/27/watch-the-jokers-mk-vs-dc-fatality/

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • MrTowelMrTowel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When your show is too dark, too violent, and too controversial for HBO, you know you have something special on your hands.

MrTowel on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MrTowel wrote: »
    When your show is too dark, too violent, and too controversial for HBO, you know you have something special on your hands.

I wonder if they were maybe too faithful to the original... I mean, there was definitely some gratuitous stuff in Preacher that easily could have been left out. Damn, it would have made an awesome HBO miniseries tho.

KalTorak on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wright talks about Scott Pilgrim movie

even though it is combining all six books into one movie, O'Malley is involved, so I am hopeful.

DouglasDanger on
  • EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bye bye, Watchmen?

Not sure if that's been posted, didn't see it in this thread or the last one.

Ecko on
This discussion has been closed.