As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suikoden Tierkreis - out now

carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Suikoden Tierkreis:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45530.html

watch?v=xeGTsL0DgMg

http://ds.ign.com/articles/900/900484p1.html

7.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg

too sweet, never expected them to give another suikoden entry a serious budget after the last two games did so miserably commercially. story seems interesting too, with the army getting defeated at the start.

PSN | Steam
___
NNID: carmofin
3DS: 2852 6971 9745
Throw me a PM if you add me
carmofin on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The screenshots look pretty spectacular, actually.

I read about this a few days ago, and was shocked at the lack of thread action. Glad to see this... I certainly hope this hits the states.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oo ee, I can't wait!

I haven't played a Suikoden since number three, probably because word of mouth didn't hype me for the latter two and Tactics, but this looks pretty good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's a lot prettier than I expected a Suikoden DS game to look.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Agreed, when I first heard of it I didn't expect much but that does look better. Considering that the franchise has never been a huge seller over in Japan nor had big budgts to compete with other mainstream RPG's this is a good fit really.

Looks like the artist that did some anime work like Eureka 7 is the guy on this one.

Cade on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this a remake in the vein of the Final Fantasy remakes?

Because if so I am so over all of this. Got the original Suikoden for my Playstation.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    fortunately no, its not a remake. as much as i like the previous games i would like to believe i live in a world where i get to play new games from time to time instead of replaying everything in 10 year cycles with improved graphics for the rest of my life.
    actually, suikoden I + II were releasedfor the PSP in japan, but i think it didnt do overly well.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sadly Suikoden has never done very well in Japan.

I'm half amazed they keep releasing it despite the love I have for II which kicks the shit out of any PS one or two era FF games.

Cade on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, this looks surprisingly good! When I hear 3D on the DS I always fear the worst.

Are those 3D graphics by the same people who did the FF remakes? They looks pretty similar.

Anyway, I wonder if they'll take advantage of the touchscreen for anything. Maybe the army minigame?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it technically 6? Or is it on its own timeline, separate from the original series?

Looks beautiful.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It is not six, that is being made but for what system who could say, it won't surprise me if it's on Wii.

Cade on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Suikoden 3 was and is my favorite JRPG, so I felt Hurt and Betrayed when I played 4. Didn't bother with 5, but one sounds interesting.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aegof wrote: »
    Suikoden 3 was and is my favorite JRPG, so I felt Hurt and Betrayed when I played 4. Didn't bother with 5, but one sounds interesting.

5 is a return to form and cleanses the series from the filth that is 4 and the wrong doings of 3.
    I rate the games: 2 > 5 > 1 (no nostalgia here!) > 3 > 4

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lookin' good!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After reading Schide's LP about Suikoden I, I am so pumped for this

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

5 is a return to form and cleanses the series from the filth that is 4 and the wrong doings of 3.

See, that is the opposite of giving me a reason to play the other games; there's not a lot about Suikoden 3 I did not like!

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

See, that is the opposite of giving me a reason to play the other games; there's not a lot about Suikoden 3 I did not like!

Yea... I'd definitely switch 3 and 5 on that list, but that's just me. 5 did nothing for me... 3 gave me orgasms.

Once I got past the first 5ish hours.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I thought 3 was alright, though I didn't like how the characters were tethered together in pairs.

I also didn't like its iteration of the castle.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My my, what beautiful games you have, DS.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Konami will never give up on Suikoden.

I swear, they've planned out the Suikoden universe so well that they could probably tell you which way the wind is supposed to be blowing on any given day. I bet they have a book so large, filled with the entire Suikoden plot, that it would take a forklift to pick it up.

Konami has big plans for the Suikoden universe. I can't wait to see where they go next.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That's one thing I love about the Suikoden universe, there is a plan of some type, there are hints of events going on in various places around the world and while you don't often go see those places in some of the sequels you may get to hear about other regions that had been briefly mentioned or you may actually now play in that place.

If they got the whole thing written out I highly doubt it, it's more like George Lucas having a vague idea and writing it as he goes and putting everything together. More or less it's the same here, hopefully unlike George they'll get it right.

Cade on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We'll keep having Suikoden games at least until we've seen all 27 of the True Runes.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    3D models on the DS :(

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I swear, they've planned out the Suikoden universe so well that they could probably tell you which way the wind is supposed to be blowing on any given day. I bet they have a book so large, filled with the entire Suikoden plot, that it would take a forklift to pick it up.

Konami has big plans for the Suikoden universe. I can't wait to see where they go next.

actually, the guy with the plan has been fired durign the production of suikoden 3.
    everything after that was made by people who basically have no clue what originally was planned for the future, that is why they moved the action so far away from the original suikoden areas.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    carmofin wrote: »

actually, the guy with the plan has been fired durign the production of suikoden 3.
    everything after that was made by people who basically have no clue what originally was planned for the future, that is why they moved the action so far away from the original suikoden areas.

That, and he never planed for Suikoden 1 to have a sequel. There never was a planned out story; it was just made up as they went along.

And I heard that he left voluntarily after getting fed up with Konami.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Suikoden 2 is the best of the series. Three wasn't bad at all. The battle system was the only drawback for me.

I will buy this one when ever it comes out.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now, i'm some bastard for going OT, but can i just ask a quick question, not Suikoden- related: Is anyone else hoping for a Vandal Hearts remake? Can't just be me, right?

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Now, i'm some bastard for going OT, but can i just ask a quick question, not Suikoden- related: Is anyone else hoping for a Vandal Hearts remake? Can't just be me, right?

Vandal Hearts and Suikoden sold me a ($300) PlayStation. Fuckin love both of them.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'venever played a Suikoden game. I'm thinking that this is going to be the first one.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has this been confirmed to be released in North America? Please say yes :)

I loved Suikoden 5, enjoyed , played a bit of the original, and avoided the 4th like plague since I heard it sucks balls.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god, my boner is so huge. I've been waiting so eagerly for a new Suikoden. 5 was so fucking amazing, like close to being almost as good as 2, and 2 is my favorite game ever; and I can't fucking find it now that I've moved. I just hope this isn't a crappy Suikoden Tactics like off-shoot.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How was Suikoden Tactics? Nobody ever talks about that game.

Or Suiko-Gaiden, but I guess that's way too obscure.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    3D models on the DS :(

3d models in Suikoden : (

It's like taking the worst of all worlds.

I suppose in their defense, their third attempt was passable. And the maps here do look pretty awesome.

---

If you played (especially recently) the first game and enjoyed it, you absolutely owe it to yourself to play 2. 1 looked fairly ugly when it came out, and hasn't aged all that well. But 2 looked and looks pretty good, and fixed up a lot of the minor stuff that makes 1 a bit grating. And it's awesome.

---

Getting back to this, I have mixed reactions, but I'll probably purchase early barring absolutely horrific reviews, if only to support the main series.

---

Gaidens are good for having Seed and Sierra, looking pretty, and having some excellent introductions. Sucks for portraying Seed poorly.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

suikoden tactics was nice, actually. i lost interest in it evnetually like with most SRPGs, but it was suikoden enough to leave a positive impression.
    suikogaiden is jsut a text adventure form what i know, just watch the intros on youtube and that should basically cover the eyecandy.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I loathed Tactics, however that's mostly because I was still bitter about 4. In hindsight it was a passable SRPG but there are plenty better out there.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love Suikoden I and II (II especially, as playing number one made me appreciate how refined II had been), and even if I haven't played more recent ones, I'm looking forward to this. It'd certainly be nice to have portable Suikoden in any case.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    hm, a little late, but better late then never, seems like a trailer is out and some new info.
    watch?v=613rha5zj2k
    The good news is that konami is working on translation of the game already, they are targeting to release it in Q1 2009, so it would only be a few months.
    the bad news is, i dont like what im reading and hearing at all.
    first off, the game takes place in an "alternate universe", or the way id put it, they are screwing over continuity altogether this time around. there will alo be no true runes in the story...
    Also, and this is what really makes me mad, the game is said to be mission based. That sounds like it might become a letdown like FFT for GBA and DS have been for me, for the compelte and utter lack of story or character development.
    Also, the music in that trailer sounds horribly generic, when i hear suikoden i expect outstanding stuff (take this for reference of what i mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJil8-ARACc )
    well either way, im still cautiously optimistic, but definately very sceptical over all this.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How did I miss this the first time?

Suikoden was one of my favourite PS1 games. I never played any of the others, because I couldn't find 2. But I'm all over this one.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well as you can see theres not that many people who care much for suikoden, considering that news is already rather old. its not exactly a mainstreamtitle, so id say it easy gets lost on the radar between everything else.
    like, suikoden 1? you know about 2-5, right? hehe

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't worry about the lack of a story or character development.

Half of that trailer was dialogue and anime cutscenes.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oooh, the new trailer is nice. Though I still think the 3-d character models themselves are pretty ugly. I'm not a huge fan of that particular SD style.

That said, well, everything else looks nifty. I like the style used for the cut scenes and character portraits and I like the overall color scheme as well. Also judging from that trailer it seems the main character is going to talk? If that's the case, I'm pretty much sold. Hopefully the characters and story are engaging.

(For the record- my order of love for the Sui series 3>2>5>1>
    screw it no, I'm not even putting the torture that was 4 on this list. )

Lovely on
    sig.gif