As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Are you in the beta action, or are you some kinda sissy girl?

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love it when my gobbo says "not in the face!"

Yougottawanna on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My mushrooms bring the boyz to the Waagh!!!

Shabooty on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was just doing some RvR in Nordland with my Witch Hunter on Skull Throne, and who should I see but a member of The Six Mouths hailing by "Lanson."

I may or may not have stabbed him to death.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm....anyone else having connection issues?

My login keeps timing out when I try to log in to a server.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bleh, I went to try to make a Marauder, but his mutation isn't showing up in the character sheet, nor giving the buffs. I reported the bug, but I still wanted to try Marauder, but without the mutation giving it's effect, he is basically gimped.

Oh well, hopefully they'll have it fixed by the open beta.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I think the crowded starter zones could actually work in this game's favour. World RvR will be epic, scenarios will be packed and all the PQs will be getting done easily. Fighting for kills in PQs could be an issue I guess.

The PQ's have been pretty ridiculous in the starter areas. I've done the Greenskin one several times, and the poor waves of dwarves have no chance walking into 15 or so Blorks and slightly fewer gobbos. They die in 5 seconds. As a shaman my only hope has been to throw heals around as much as possible in between the dwarf attacks.

This has resulted in me getting highly ranked several times, came in 1st place three times last night. Still didn't win any loot, though.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    It's a shame I can't get into the Black Orc

The shaman more than makes up for it though

Same here. The Black Orc is a great idea, but the pacing just feels off. I guess I'll go for Chosen for my tank, and the Shaman for healing. Chosen is kind of boring, but has a great look, and you have to appreciate a tank that is also a walking buff/debuff machine.

I think I'll play around a bit with a Warrior Priest before the weekend ends.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    I'm getting this on day one unless my experience in the beta changes drastically for the worse, but I'm still expecting the launch to be pretty rough.

My main gripe right now that isn't obviously a bug (being unable to unflag after leaving RvR is a bug, right?) is the UI unresponsiveness. Have any of you had the client tell you that an ability is not ready, but then trigger the cooldown anyway? For something like Flee, things seem to get sorted out before the full cooldown has run, but other skills go through their full cooldown before I can use them again. It's really annoying, especially as a melee class in PvP since I have a fairly small window of opportunity with all the movement.

That's a display UI bug. Hit the skill again and you'll notice it goes off even though the UI is telling you it triggered a cooldown and didn't go off.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You don't by chance know how to fix hotkeys, do you? On a couple of my characters, I have two or three hotkeys that just aren't... hotkeys. The bar on the bottom will have skills in (for instance) the 1 and 3 spots, but 1 and 3 don't show up in the boxes, and the keys don't activate those buttons.

If, while in the game, you hit Escape, one of the choices on the menu that comes up will be 'key mappings'. Check in there to make sure that 1 and 3 are mapped to the correct places on the hotbar. If they are mapped, try mapping something else to those spots and see if that works, and if so, then try mapping them back to 1 and 3.

Other than that, I don't know what could cause the problem.

In other news, I tried the Witch Elf today. Oh my god so good. I love playing a rogue in WoW and these have a very cool feel to the way they play which I like very much as well. The only problem I have is the constant guilt of running around as a barely-clad sexelf. She did get me my very first 1st place roll in a PQ though!

Toxic Pickle on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RE: Renown gear, the T1 warcamp armor and weapon vendors now sell gear for ranks 2 and 4, which goes a ways towards removing the gap.

zenpotato on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I went ahead and bought the Pre-Order from the EAStore. They say I'd get the information on how to get into the beta in my e-mail.

That was yesterday. All I got was a receipt message, and in my EAStore Account, there's no download link or code listed.

Is this normal?

aunsoph on
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had the same thing and I called customer service and they expedited the email with the codes.

wavecutter on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So can someone give me a a run down on what's different than WoW?
    I.. I'm interested.
    Plus I'm upgrading to a whole two gig of ram soon! :O

Rizzi on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I.. I'm interested.

Ahem...

And wait, why should we compare WAR or WoW? If anything, we should compare it to Camelot. But I guess I will begin.

First off: It's done by Mythic. People who take pride in what they do and do it well. They don't cut corners nor do they recycle stuff from previous games, (like icons from Warcraft 3...)

Next up, they deliver a polished product, unlike AoC. The static content in WAR is enough to keep people busy for quite some time and unless you just breeze right through it, it really should keep you entertained for quite some time. Now what I mean by static content is the stuff that never changes, meaning much of PvE stuff and PQs and other quests. There is enough content here to keep people verrry busy.

But the difference between WoW and WAR is that WAR never ends. Once you get to the highest level, you are not exactly finished. You then have the not so static content, like Keeps, Fortresses and all of that. What makes this part of the game so exciting is that it will be balanced, even though one side will be overpopulated. And then there is the fact that they have and tried really hard to get very balanced classes.

While playing, in no time should you feel gimped or over powered.

Oh and while the PvE side of WAR is great, it's not the center stage, the biggest and main attraction for Warhammer is the PvP. It's a PvP based game. It's a WAR based game. And while there is small stuff like crafting, it's not like WoW where you can go passive and not kill things for 2 or 3 hours at a time. >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I think the crowded starter zones could actually work in this game's favour. World RvR will be epic, scenarios will be packed and all the PQs will be getting done easily. Fighting for kills in PQs could be an issue I guess.

The PQ's have been pretty ridiculous in the starter areas. I've done the Greenskin one several times, and the poor waves of dwarves have no chance walking into 15 or so Blorks and slightly fewer gobbos. They die in 5 seconds. As a shaman my only hope has been to throw heals around as much as possible in between the dwarf attacks.

This has resulted in me getting highly ranked several times, came in 1st place three times last night. Still didn't win any loot, though.

They actually die that fast even with out the massive crowd. Unless they've been upgraded since the last time I played through the Greenskin starter area anyway. I remember it was a major complaint of Ranged DPS running the PQ. By the time their skill finished building up the melee pretty much decimated the dwarves. The only way I was able to gain any contribution or influence at that portion as a Squig Herder was to set my Squig to aggressive.
    I.. I'm interested.

For one PvP (generally referred to as RvR in game) is much more accessible and pretty addictive overall. There's also a lot more to do in terms of PvP, such as sieging Keeps, tons of easily accessed Scenarios, etc.

Gear does not seem to play as big a part. Gear is certainly important mind you, but aside from having the Renown Rank six gear in tier one there does not appear to be a real "I win button" when wearing good gear.

Public Quests certainly make a big difference in PvE. Basically there are areas designated for Public Quests, and stepping into them basically gives you an objective which everyone else in the area has. Thus people must work together to complete the objective. It usually starts with a "Kill X Number of Y" objective, with a bit more imagination for the next phases, and usually ends with a boss fight. Afterwards people roll for "loot" bags with a bonus based on contribution.

Probably a lot of stuff I'm missing as it's been awhile since I've played WoW.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, in case you know actually know nothing about the game, in WAR you can PvP from 1-40, and actually progress by doing it. Meaning, you gain XP, and you gain access to gear by PvP'ing. Either by joining a quick scenario (similar to a WoW BG), or you can go right into the thick of it in openworld RvR, where you can group up with many people (and note that this happens like all the time) and kill baddies and capture objectives. Also, I'm not joking when I say PvP from 1-40. I was in my first scenario at level 4.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited August 2008
    I have a rather old pc. Uses DDR1 ram..
    I was comparing it to WoW because that's what I've played for the past two and a half years.
    But thanks. Glad there will actually be something to do at the highest level.
    That's what makes me angry with WoW. Get to 70 and you can go do glorified duels, or raid, and nothing else..
    And what's with all the talk of prestige and ranks?

Rizzi on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was comparing it to WoW because that's what I've played for the past two and a half years.
    That's what makes me angry with WoW. Get to 70 and you can go do glorified duels, or raid, and nothing else..

Bro, I hate to just dump you off like this, but if you have like an hour or so, I recommend you just watch these.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/podcast/index.php

Each one talks about different aspects of the game and how it is better than what you are used to.

For example, how guilds are more than just a chat channel and an icon on a flag.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ranks are basically your levels. There are 40 experience ranks (gained from doing... well anything), and 80 renown ranks (gained through PvP stoof). You get abilities and such through experience ranks, and ability boosts/ tactics/ titles/ gear through renown ranks

Edit: Yeah, the production podcasts are great.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited August 2008
    Oh man, I was just in the worst Scenario ever. Bunch of Order level 5-6s vs a bunch of destruction 10-11s in RvR gear.

Desctruction had 2 deaths total. Fuck me.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The more I rvr as a Shaman, the more I love the class. Dropping hots on everything that moves before flossing the opposing healer's ears with a shaft of beefed up WAAAAGH! is sinfully entertaining.

Zap, zap, zap, zap, zap. BRRRZZZZT-flop. Zap, zap, zap, zap, zap.

It does tend to skew the end of match numbers all to hell when I've got 20k healing done from healing people for standing next to me, but it's effective.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. The guild standard sounds pretty nifty.

Rizzi on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really, really loved my Blorc when I first rolled him, got him to 21, and its a blast...

But during PW i've been playing a Witch Elf, and...

I'm tied on my main now D:

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Well.. Fuck.
    I think that guy is on drugs.
    All of them!
    He made quests sound cool though.

Rizzi on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Go witch elf there are gonna be a ton of Black Orcs.

And How did that keep defense in the marsh go? My computer crashed and I didn't get back on since I have to go somewhere.

Waiting for OB/head start is going to suck balls now that I've seen how fun the game is.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sonelan wrote: »

And How did that keep defense in the marsh go? My computer crashed and I didn't get back on since I have to go somewhere.

Waiting for OB/head start is going to suck balls now that I've seen how fun the game is.

Not well. Even after the doors closed they had so many Healers inside they wiped the floor with anyone who tried to go above the first floor. It looked to be two full allied Guilds, and someone called a Banner I think.

We did pretty good considering we had maybe 6 TSM and a handful of randoms, a lot at minimum level, against such an overwhelming coordinated force.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited August 2008
    Yeah we were doing pretty good before I crashed (I made it a point to fuck the healers up as my black orc) But it looked like we were getting swarmed right before I crashed.

EDIT: Also the oil seige thing is way more fragile then I expected. You need like 4 people repairing it to keep it up.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I think I will roll WE... the elf area WAS pretty barren and quiet :D

I crashed also, I can't remember what I was in the middle of, but I just got some more RAM and picked up Vista 64-bit so I figured I'd install all of that before I tried hooking it up again.

Any word on exactly when the servers are going down for PW, and if Closed starts back up, or do we hafta suffer until Open comes out?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »

I think I will roll WE... the elf area WAS pretty barren and quiet :D

I crashed also, I can't remember what I was in the middle of, but I just got some more RAM and picked up Vista 64-bit so I figured I'd install all of that before I tried hooking it up again.

Any word on exactly when the servers are going down for PW, and if Closed starts back up, or do we hafta suffer until Open comes out?

From what I've heard it closes monday morning and only the elders test before open starts.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So one thing I have still yet to figure out, is it possible to choose which scenario to to join the queue for?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bleh, I went to try to make a Marauder, but his mutation isn't showing up in the character sheet, nor giving the buffs. I reported the bug, but I still wanted to try Marauder, but without the mutation giving it's effect, he is basically gimped.

Try using the Gift of Release or whatever it is, then re-cast the mutation.

Bama on
    edited August 2008
    Bama wrote: »

Try using the Gift of Release or whatever it is, then re-cast the mutation.

Tried that repeatedly, no luck.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In other news, I tried the Witch Elf today. Oh my god so good. I love playing a rogue in WoW and these have a very cool feel to the way they play which I like very much as well. The only problem I have is the constant guilt of running around as a barely-clad sexelf. She did get me my very first 1st place roll in a PQ though!

First time I've ever heard that the Witch Elf was fun to play.

I felt that it was like they took a Witch Hunter and then took away everything fun about them.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blarg, just had my 6th CTD this weekend. I hope this is sorted out and a bit more stable before release. Other its awesomely fun though.

I had a blast at the keep defense, even though at level 10 I wasn't too effective.

Last Son on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So did anyone play Dark Age and happen to play a tank? Are WAR tanks similar? I loved my Warrior in DAOC, it was the only character I ever got to 50, then I quit because RvR took 15 mins standing around every time you wanted to go fight people and there wasn't even anyone to fight most of the time.

The thing I liked was that you actually felt like a fucking tank, you could take serious damage. WoW tanks never really felt the same.

The Chosen looks cool, and I've always loved Chaos. His aura twisting looks basically exactly like the mechanic behind the DAOC Paladin. Is that a fair comparison?

Drool on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Bro, I hate to just dump you off like this, but if you have like an hour or so, I recommend you just watch these.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/podcast/index.php

Each one talks about different aspects of the game and how it is better than what you are used to.

For example, how guilds are more than just a chat channel and an icon on a flag.

God fuck, this game. God, fuck. God. Fuck.

EDITED for comma, which somewhat changes the meaning.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I need to find the guy that made www.wardb.com and kiss him. I'm already starting to build my anti-magic gear set thanks to that list of items.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have seen the KING, no really, with the cities at rank 5 you can go see the kings. While I was there I saw several merchants standing around. they happened to be selling the city armor sets, rank 40 stuff, man it was nuts three enhancment slots each. heavy armor, even on the "Light" crap. I have no idea how much it cost, it had little 10s down next to boxes I hadn't seen before. I also saw the choppa armor set, yes I said choppa. so head by the capitol and check it out for your self, oh and remember to take pics, or it didn't happen.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap this game is fun, especially when you go from quest reward to 10/6 gear. Keeping the Destruction forces from capping the Ammunition room and surviving long enough for everybody else to (hopefully) cap the Supply room and Gate Control before finally going down as the cavalry storms in is fucking awesome. 500 to 2 victory, goddamn. I love Warrior Priests.

Oh, and I saw a few Mouths in there scattered around. I made sure to hunt you down and murder you, when there wasn't a crack team of Black Orcs and Shamans reducing me to ash.

Tuesday on
  • xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In other news, I tried the Witch Elf today. Oh my god so good. I

I made the mistake of playing a WH before the WE and it totally ruined the WE for me. Technically they are 'mirrors', but the WH has so much more style to it. It is very satisfying to be wacking someone to death with a sword and then nailing a death blow with a gun shot. BAM

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
This discussion has been closed.