As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a new cellphone.

3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the skinny - I have a motorola V3 Razr, and camera phones are not kosher where I work. Usually, I just leave it in my truck, but on the rare occasion I forget to take it out of my jacket, I inadvertantly sometimes carry it into work, which results in me having to ninja it back out.

Our new bosses boss is a real hardass on the phones thing, and rather than just deal with being hasseled, i've decided I want a new phone.

So here's the problem - I want a new cellphone that doesn't have a camera. But I don't want to sacrafice all the features iv'e come to enjoy on my phones, like custom mp3 ringtones, games, etc.,

Money is no object here. I'll spend whatever it takes - i've debated a iPaq or something similar, but i'm not terribly knowledgeable on PDA/Phones.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Can anyone advise on the functionality of PDA/phones as well? Pro's or con's?

3lwap0 on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i know there are also phones there where the camera can be disabled in situations like that

i believe it was some kind of smart phone, with respect to business type people needing to be able to turn the camera off

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    i know there are also phones there where the camera can be disabled in situations like that

i believe it was some kind of smart phone, with respect to business type people needing to be able to turn the camera off

Any idea what it might have been called?

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :( i read it recently so im thinkin i would have read it off engadget...

you'd have to go back lots of pages though because of all the CES updates they have

make it easier and go to engadget mobile

there's only so many brands of smartphones anyways

i dont think it was a moto or nokia...

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know the specifics behind why you can't use a camera, but if it is because you work in a classified environment, it is possible that smart phones/ PDAs are also restricted. You should probably check into that if you haven't already.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nokia 6030, but yeah, really hard to find a nice phone without camera.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you happen to have Nextel service or would be willing to switch to it Motorola has a number of Nextel specific phones with two-way radio capability that do not have cameras. From looking at pics/specs the Motorola i355 (or probably a pre-cursor to it, I don't remember a color screen, etc) was given to managers and on-call support people at a previous job I had where camera phones were not allowed in the building.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Since you have a V3 (GSM), you could always get a decent non-camera GSM phone to use while at work and just swap the SIM card out when you leave, back into the V3. Just an idea.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't know the specifics behind why you can't use a camera, but if it is because you work in a classified environment, it is possible that smart phones/ PDAs are also restricted. You should probably check into that if you haven't already.

Long as it doesn't have a microphone or camera, i'm fine. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, i'll get to crackin'.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you want to keep your RAZOR, can you add another phone to your plan?

See if you can get the cheapest one they have, and just bring that to work. Ask your carrier too, I'm sure they've gotten the question, with a lot of people in your situation, as everything has a camera now.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    3lwap0 wrote:

Long as it doesn't have a microphone or camera, i'm fine.

Out of curiousity, what is the limit on what sort of microphone you can have?
    Because, you know, a microphone is kind of a requirement for a telephone.

The Savior on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Any PDA/Smartphones that run off of Windows Mobile will have a microphone/voice recorder, so that should be an automatic no-go.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No idea what you're dealing with, so sorry if my suggestion is silly, but what about cameras with a cover on it? I have a Nokia 6682 which you need to physically move a cover to use the camera. It's not exactly hidden, but a quick glance would probably do no harm. Again, dunno what you're working with, just trying to help.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt