As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy IV DS Remake : Insert wity comment here...

• CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really don't get the appeal of a remake with worse graphics than the original. I love FF4, but I already own it on snes, playstation, and GBA.

The idea of switching up how boss fights work is cool, though.

Graphics are great, cutscenes are beautiful, voicework is impressive, enemies are tons harder, there's new obscure shit to collect, two new superbosses, and it might motivatee Square-Enix to make an FF6 remake.

Calaveron on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I'm really impressed with the graphics in this version. The voice work too is surprisingly good. Some of the writing/translation seems better too, but it's been a while since I played the original, so maybe I just don't remember how it used to be.

The Augment system is a nice addition as well. It opens up a lot of new and different tactics, which is really handy 'cause a lot of the bosses are a lot harder. I've had my whole party killed in one shot by lots of enemies (including a few random encounter ones). Overall I like the pacing though. I never feel like I'm too overpowered, nor do I ever feel like I'm really lacking. Even against bosses that can seemingly insta-kill you there are ways to win.

Craigopogo on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does it look remarkably better in motion? Because the screenshots look like 1995 era 3d.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does it look remarkably better in motion? Because the screenshots look like 1995 era 3d.

It does, but also I think most ss you see of the game are magnified vs what you see looking at a ds screen when you are holding one.

LockeCole on
    edited August 2008

Also a new translation, a cutscene viewer, a sound test, extra story line scenes (although off-hand I can just remember one thing near the beginning of the game), and one of the most annoying sidequests ever with one of the best rewards ever (an augment that allows you to avoid random battles; although you do need to be properly levelled to survive the game, so use sparingly).
    And yeah, the game is pretty fluid in motion. Your guys still attack from where they stand, but the attack animations are varied, critical hits hit with oomph, and all the weapons and shields have their own little polygon models.
    Plus the summons look great. They easily rival FF7's, and for a portable system using non-cd media format, that's pretty impressive.

Calaveron on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, do you think we'll get The After?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

iPhone. I'm calling it.

KimFidler on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KimFidler wrote: »

iPhone. I'm calling it.

That would be nice - I would buy them for my Touch in a heartbeat.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited August 2008
    What the hell is wrong with Square and why does it have that stupid obsession with cell phone games?

Calaveron on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Calaveron wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with Japan and why does it have that stupid obsession with cell phone games?

Fixed. Persona 3 prequel game, I'm looking at you

LockeCole on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Where is that damn ticket that you can buy to get into the hidden/secret place.

I ALWAYS forget where you buy it.

Use to happen to me in the SNES days too.

Cade on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone is selling it on the main floor in the same building. I hope you didn't forget how much it cost, though.

0blique on
  • JulianvonRoseJulianvonRose Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I started playing it when I went on vacation (thats when I bought it), and the intro to the actual game started up and I was like ZOMG! Voices! Holy shat in a hat! Yeah after that I was definitely impressed with how much it didn't change and just got better. At the moment I'm stuck fighting Golbez in the Underworld, that jerk...

JulianvonRose on
    edited August 2008
    0blique wrote: »
    Someone is selling it on the main floor in the same building. I hope you didn't forget how much it cost, though.

Which building?

I swear my mind is running around in circles on this.

The money I got.

Cade on
    edited August 2008
    The bar in Troia (town, not the castle). I don't remember where it is exactly, but I think it's near the upper right corner. If you still have trouble finding it, I can look it up when I get back home.

0blique on
    edited August 2008
    0blique wrote: »
    The bar in Troia (town, not the castle). I don't remember where it is exactly, but I think it's near the upper right corner. If you still have trouble finding it, I can look it up when I get back home.

Ah got it!

Thanks.

Cade on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I may have to send in my DS to Nintendo.

The B button is becoming tougher to push and less responsive. I can't picture myself "cancelling too much," so I'm not sure how this is happening.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just got this game for my birthday today. I got the version for the GBA but I never finished it... I think I got to right around where you get the airship or something. Anyway, is there a handy guide of things I should know before I start? Are there any useful but spoiler-free tips you can give?

Terrendos on
    edited August 2008
    There are a lot of things that are nice to know, but it's hard to find a guide that won't spoil you. I guess the guides on gamefaqs are good (especially the starred one), but you have to be careful not to read too far ahead if you don't want to spoil boss fights and plot points.

Probably the most important thing to know is about who to give augments to. Some of the temporary characters give very good augments if you give them some before they leave your party, but of course you don't want to waste your good augments, so it's good to know what you can give away, and what you should keep on your main characters. The augment guide in the op is pretty good in this respect, imo.

0blique on
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright, question guys.

Alright, Im not sure if I'm fucking something up here.

Moon ending spoilers-
    Alright, I just got the lunarian in my party and Im going back to Earth. This giant pops up and we land inside him to kill him. Problem is, the enemies in there are kicking my ass!! Like, big time. Those beam fuckers do huge damage to Cecil and usually kill him quite quickly. Everything up to that point has been ok, I didnt feel the need to level. All the moon enemies I could dispatch easily. Now its like this line has been drawn. I crossed it, and now a single random encounter is taking every bit of my effort and Im losing quite easily.

Did I miss something here? Did I just skip a massive dungeon or something? The hell?

Xeno on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xeno wrote: »
    Alright, question guys.

Moon ending spoilers-
    Alright, I just got the lunarian in my party and Im going back to Earth. This giant pops up and we land inside him to kill him. Problem is, the enemies in there are kicking my ass!! Like, big time. Those beam fuckers do huge damage to Cecil and usually kill him quite quickly. Everything up to that point has been ok, I didnt feel the need to level. All the moon enemies I could dispatch easily. Now its like this line has been drawn. I crossed it, and now a single random encounter is taking every bit of my effort and Im losing quite easily.

Did I miss something here? Did I just skip a massive dungeon or something? The hell?

What level are you? I didn't find them very hard, except those giant titan guys that you may have encountered. Fuck them.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited August 2008
    No, you didn't miss anything, I think you just need to readjust how battle strategy. You can cast stop on everything, so that will give you a chance to recover your health and mp, and get plenty of free hits. To withstand the first few attacks, you just need to make Cecil defend or brace, and give him draw attacks. If you're high enough level to withstand the moon enemies, he should be able to take the hits until Rydia gets everyone stopped.

0blique on
    edited August 2008
    Xeno wrote: »
    Alright, question guys.

Moon ending spoilers-

What level are you? I didn't find them very hard, except those giant titan guys that you may have encountered. Fuck them.

cecil is 54. lowest character is 51.

Xeno on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Once in a while in this game there's an area with a particular enemy that can do ridiculous burst DPS and has the potential to annihilate your group with a little bad luck. In those cases I usually just ran, you don't need the exp that badly to risk having to start over again.

Zek on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Once in a while in this game there's an area with a particular enemy that can do ridiculous burst DPS and has the potential to annihilate your group with a little bad luck. In those cases I usually just ran, you don't need the exp that badly to risk having to start over again.

Like those fucking fire panther things. I loved when they'd come in packs of 2 or 3 and they'd all use that fire attack and fuck why can't I run nooooo

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited August 2008

Like those fucking fire panther things. I loved when they'd come in packs of 2 or 3 and they'd all use that fire attack and fuck why can't I run nooooo

HAHAHA, I know!

/blaze
    Me: Fuck, that took a big chunk
    /blaze
    Me: Fuck this game. /shuts off

Xeno on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It helps to know that you can have everybody Defend at no extra cost while you try to run.

Zek on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I've had that happen to me when I was fighting a red dragon. He unleashed several of those thermal ray attacks in a row, and Rosa died before I could cast beserk. I managed to revive her and cast beserk, but then she, and everyone else except Edge died. I then kept giving Cecil pheonix downs, but he kept dying before I could heal him. I eventually managed to get the red dragon slowed and edge hasted using items, which gave me just enough to revive Cecil and get him healed up. But then the beserk wore off and Edge died. At that point, I just teleported away.

0blique on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it just me or Kain sucks during the first playthrough? He does average damage and by the time a Hasted Kain has completed a Jump, I've done twice the damage with a Hasted Cecil. If it wasn't for the Cry Augment, I really feel like he's a waste compared to others.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It helps to know that you can have everybody Defend at no extra cost while you try to run.

Indeed, Defend is godly in this game.

Final Dungeon start tomorrow...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited August 2008
    Is it just me or Kain sucks during the first playthrough? He does average damage and by the time a Hasted Kain has completed a Jump, I've done twice the damage with a Hasted Cecil. If it wasn't for the Cry Augment, I really feel like he's a waste compared to others.
    I do believe a strong enough Kain + Cry + Darkness + Jump + Limit Break = More than 9,999 damage in one jump.
    Granted, you would theoretically lose Phoenix unless you gave Cry to someone else, and it would still take at least three to four turns to pull off, but it can be done.

Calaveron on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Calaveron wrote: »
    I do believe a strong enough Kain + Cry + Darkness + Jump + Limit Break = More than 9,999 damage in one jump.
    Granted, you would theoretically lose Phoenix unless you gave Cry to someone else, and it would still take at least three to four turns to pull off, but it can be done.

Phoenix can be given to edge as well. Phoenix + Hide works just as well as Phoenix + jump. Also, while hiding, Edge can still use throw, which is arguably more powerful then standard attacks anyways. Just a bit more expensive.

Zerokku on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God damnit. Fuck rainbow pudding. I'm trying to finish the naimingway quest before I beat the game. I've probably killed like 500 of the yellow slime things in the antlion den. Still none. I am told I can find them from any of the jelly's right? I just have the game set on auto battle and walk around as I read during my lunch breaks, and have tried doing this all week...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's late as it's a UK Review and it came out in the UK last week - when this went up, but here's my review. Adooore this game, but my posts in the thread already should make that clear.

http://ds.rpgsite.net/reviews/116/94.html

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man fuck that last dungeon, it can go die in a gutter for all i care.

Deaderinred on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    God damnit. Fuck rainbow pudding. I'm trying to finish the naimingway quest before I beat the game. I've probably killed like 500 of the yellow slime things in the antlion den. Still none. I am told I can find them from any of the jelly's right? I just have the game set on auto battle and walk around as I read during my lunch breaks, and have tried doing this all week...

It's much easier to get the Treasure Hunter augment then farm Flan Princesses if you have the stardusts/sirens.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Rakai wrote: »

It's much easier to get the Treasure Hunter augment then farm Flan Princesses if you have the stardusts/sirens.

Its much QUICKER to farm the yellow ones in the Antlion Cave. But then again, I guess "quick" is relative. I got my Rainbow Pudding after killing 200 Yellow Jelly's.

And on working your way down into the final dungeon just take it little by little restoring and saving at the Crystal Palace.

Sorceress - Turn them into Toads. They very rarely resist the spell and it stops their casting.

Moonmaiden - Omnicast Blink on the party.

Blue/Red Dragons - Dual+Omnicast Berserk on the Dragons, so they wont use their Frost/Fire Spells, and
    then cast Blink on the party. Stop works on the Blue ones I know for a fact. Not sure
    about the reds.

Giant Red Robots - RUN. lol. really, they just aren't worth it until after you've leveled and gotten the gear.

Undead Dragon Thingies - Omnicast Blink on the party and just melee it down. I think it counters Fire spells
    with one of its own.

Silver/Gold Dragon Combo - Dual+Omniccast Haste and Blink on the party. Both Dragons are vulnerable to
    Stop

Behemoths - Dualcast Haste and Blink on the party and then Slow on the Behemoth. Counters offensive
    magic with Maelstrom.

I think that's all the troublesome ones. Lil' Murderers and the Yellow eyeball thingies shouldn't be a problem.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Seriously, half the time, the Red Robots will just self-destruct near death, robbing you of experience and gil.

Nerdgasmic on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rakai wrote: »

Its much QUICKER to farm the yellow ones in the Antlion Cave. But then again, I guess "quick" is relative. I got my Rainbow Pudding after killing 200 Yellow Jelly's.

Draw attacks + counter + stardust in first slot on Cecil = Dead Princesses in 3 enemy turns (they attack very fast). Siren means you don't have to wander and every fight is against them. Yellows have .4% chance to drop versus 1% with the princess. There is also the added benefit of getting pink tails for the adamant armor. The only downside is that stardusts and sirens are expensive so you're spending 15000 per fight.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    there's a room in the Antlion cave were a siren will summon 4 yellow flans. You may have an additional .6% chance for one to drop, but you can kill the 4 yellow flans much quicker getting in more fights per minute with more chances to drop.

Orochi_Rockman on