As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, this is actually one of the very few last/current gen MMOs that I have never played, but I wam willing to change that....
    Is the free trial thing still going on? Can someone here pm me a code for that, or is there a way to do a trial without a buddy code?

Librarian on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, ideas hitting my head now. I will fly to and personally bake a cake for anybody who manages to go 10-75 in Valkurm alone.

Xhero on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Librarian wrote: »
    So, this is actually one of the very few last/current gen MMOs that I have never played, but I wam willing to change that....
    Is the free trial thing still going on? Can someone here pm me a code for that, or is there a way to do a trial without a buddy code?

I can pm you my buddy code when I get home in... 3ish hours. Nobody ever took me up on my offer for it. If you wanna go ahead and start downloading it from fileplanet, you could get ahead a bit.

I'm still kicking myself for playing Star Wars Galaxies instead of this... SWG was fun, until they murdered it... but FFXI just keeps getting better.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, that would be cool.

I am really looking forward to checking it out, the focus on grouping aspect turned me off this game in the past, now it is more of an incentive to try it.
    Will see if I can find the client and give it a go, depending on size and if I can get a stable connection it should be done in 3 hours.

Librarian on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xhero wrote: »
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/3599/detail.html

Yeah, leveling just became completely revolutionized.

Now all they have to do is let me alt tab, completely change the control system and make the game fun!

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Saban wrote: »

Now all they have to do is let me alt tab, completely change the control system and make the game fun!

Have you tried fishing? Best minigame ever! Also, it's possible to alt-tab with windower... all the information is available in the OP.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    So says the guy with the WoW avatar.

This will mean however, that I can reduce my rather extensive collection of equipment.

Edit: Then again, perhaps it won't...

And man, aside from the equipment scaling, I have been wanting something like that for some time.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Saban wrote: »

You can already do that, the controls are fine, and you're a crybaby.

We here in the FFXI thread do appreciate the value of eloquent criticism.

Xhero on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    So I decided to get rid of the three chest keys I had in inventory, and it just so happens it is RSE time in Ordel's caverns right now. Score!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Motherfucker, level sync is 2 years overdue. I could've done with the feature so bad :o

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Motherfucker, level sync is 2 years overdue. I could've done with the feature so bad :o

Can you hear it calling you? Isn't it enticing?

I updated OP with the new news. Also added shameless ad for 08 Collection.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I love that picture for the level synch. Newb in leather all psyched he is going to party with the Red Mage and the Paladin in Relic armor.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh well, I cant find the client on fileplanet(maybe because I am not a member?), So I guess I will have to wait for the buddy code...

Librarian on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    directtodrive has it, but you have to actually buy it to download it.

About Promyvon today; I will try to do the cutscenes between classes today to get ready for it (I've done most of them inadvertantly already), but I'm not out of class for my break until ~2:40pm MST (1:40 PST), though since it's the first day we'll likely get out early.

So don't wait for me to go, but if you haven't started when I get on I'd like to go if there's a spot.

Also, about the level cap thing, that's freaking sweet. Does that change our makeup for our static?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WTF Levels 11-75 in Valkurm Dunes, without PL?
    You kidding me?
    That's going take ages to level up.

OMG!!!
    New Level Sync Feature to Change the Way You Party! (08/25/2008)

*shall await to see if it works wells

*wish there is an Oceania preferred server or something
    So nasty how I have to spend a few hours LFG becos of my timezone in Asia

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Two years after I quit it. I've returned for a month or two twice since then. 8 months since the last time I played it.

The music. The story. The battles. The HNM camping. The characters. All of it still haunts my dreams to this day.

Whenever I start a new MMO - part of me hopes that it captures at least a small part of the FFXI feel without the torture.
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...99/detail.html

@#$% this should have been done three years ago.

sim on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, that level synch stuff looks pretty sweet. I don't have a whole lot of experience with higher level stuff but doesn't that make it likely that there will be an optimal spot/level where you can bring down the most xp?

Say if there's a nice spot around level 30 where the monsters die fast, and you've got all the abilities you need to down em quick why would you level anywhere else? I guess you still need a dude around the level you want or you can't pull it off.. and he's probably partied up with his buddy in the Dunes, so maybe it won't be so bad after all.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Say if there's a nice spot around level 30 where the monsters die fast, and you've got all the abilities you need to down em quick why would you level anywhere else?

Because 1500 other people will be there too. lol

In reality though, I don't think this will make a huge impact on day to day xp. Most 75s are going to merit if they can for 10-15k an hour instead of 5k in a lower party. This will be great for groups of friends and ls mates though.

This will be great for low level players just starting out as well. If equipment scaling works as advertised, people are going to be dumping level cap gear onto the AH left and right.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    FF XI is mainly group grinding at grind spot.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dis wrote: »

Anymore criticisms to throw out there? You filled the last thread with it, maybe your opinion will be more valid in this new one.

Anyways the point isn't to stay in the dunes from 11-75, its to go play with your new friend who just joined up and can't find a WHM for his group, or something similar. This isn't meant to replace the higher level grind, it is meant to make it easier for you to play with newbie friends. Great addition to the game, I can't believe someone is actually shitting on it.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This will also be a great way to cap buffers on jobs that aren't so merit friendly. (in my case pld and whm)

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

Anymore criticisms to throw out there? You filled the last thread with it, maybe your opinion will be more valid in this new one.

Anyways the point isn't to stay in the dunes from 11-75, its to go play with your new friend who just joined up and can't find a WHM for his group, or something similar. This isn't meant to replace the higher level grind, it is meant to make it easier for you to play with newbie friends. Great addition to the game, I can't believe someone is actually shitting on it.

Learn to accept Criticisms.
    What do you think brought those changes?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Learn to accept Criticisms.
    What do you think brought those changes?

Well it would be better if your criticisms had more validity, but sadly they aren't because:
    You only played the game to 20.
    You take the new announcement and somehow scew it to seem like it sucks.
    For some reason you can't find people in oceanic time, but the server is international, and I've been in plenty of groups in the middle of the night/early morning.

Isn't wow just too solo friendly for you to return to FFXI? Shouldn't you be playing that then instead of coming here and spouting off half baked opinions?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ANGRY SMASH SMASHES!

:P

And Dis, there's a big difference between criticizing and bitching.

Guess which one you're doing?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    ANGRY SMASH SMASHES!

I don't want this to seem like we are unfriendly to new players. Although the game isn't for the faint of heart, our community here gladly welcomes new players. Not just that but most of us go way out of our way to help them too.
    But the only time you post here is to shit. Your posts leave no room for response, have no real validity behind them, and are generally just thread shitting. When you want to try the game again, and stop crying so much, come on back. Maybe your experience in the game would have been better if you weren't expecting to play another wow. Until then, back to wow with you or whatever game you actually HAVE experience with.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You kidding me?

Someone's joke detector is broken.

Edit: As I said earlier, this is more than I hoped for concerning party-based level adjustment. I was hoping they would impliment the level adjustment, but the equipment scaling was icing on the cake.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ANGRY SMASH SMASHES!

I don't want this to seem like we are unfriendly to new players. Although the game isn't for the faint of heart, our community here gladly welcomes new players. Not just that but most of us go way out of our way to help them too.
    But the only time you post here is to shit. Your posts leave no room for response, have no real validity behind them, and are generally just thread shitting. When you want to try the game again, and stop crying so much, come on back. Maybe your experience in the game would have been better if you weren't expecting to play another wow. Until then, back to wow with you or whatever game you actually HAVE experience with.

HEY! Why are you quoting me there?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    You kidding me?

Someone's joke detector is broken.

Edit: As I said earlier, this is more than I hoped for concerning party-based level adjustment. I was hoping they would impliment the level adjustment, but the equipment scaling was icing on the cake.

A few questions on the scaling:
    If a place like promy or BCNM is level capped, can you turn on Level Sync and bring in high level gear?
    And will base level gear be better than scaled down gear?

I guess well see, the news post kinda covers the latter, but it will be interesting to see it implemented.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sync will not work in level capped areas.

However, equipment scaling will.

So post update, you can pretty much wear any of your gear anywhere.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ANGRY SMASH SMASHES!

I thought the context made it clear who I was talking to :(

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ANGRY SMASH SMASHES!

I thought the context made it clear who I was talking to :(

Well I got it, but it looks like you're speaking to me. :P I mean, yeah, I can be an ass, but I'm not here! I promise!

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I got it, but it looks like you're speaking to me. :P I mean, yeah, I can be an ass, but I'm not here! I promise!

Stop shit posting :x GTFO of my thread right now before i eat you alive!

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kingshand is not logged into AIM damnit.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Psh, I hereby claim this thread for all Dudes with Herpes!
    Who incidentally don't actually have herpes unless you count Tube as a form of herpes who gave me this name.

This thread is now about why the level changes are completely fuckawesome.

I realize this was already the topic but I'm making it official being the new ruler of this thread.

I need a flag.

EDIT: Kingshand should now be logged into AIM

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    So I've got the buddy key now, both for playonline and FFXI, but I can not really find the option to sign up on their site, any ideas what I am missing?

Librarian on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So I was thinking about it some more, and I don't think that the level sync change is going to simplify my spare equipment situation all that much. All the stuff I already own I will have to keep for the other jobs that require it anyway. About the only thing I will be OK to part with is some gear I keep around for BCNMs.
    So I've got the buddy key now, both for playonline and FFXI, but I can not really find the option to sign up on their site, any ideas what I am missing?

You sign up through playonline, not on the website.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is this a client based signup as soon as the game is installed? I can not find any option at either the FFXI or the playonline site...

Librarian on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

are you sure your buddy past isn't a world pass; or is it a buddy(trial) pass.

If it's a trial you actually have to have the pol software to set up your account. you cant do it on the website.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Is this a client based signup as soon as the game is installed? I can not find any option at either the FFXI or the playonline site...

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I hate POL but considering they have to make one shell program for all 3 platforms, it works well in that regard.

Smashism on