As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] No chat, only war. And /special.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what happens now that the preview weekend is over? Is it just the Elder servers up till OB?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game needs to come out already. I've lost all interest in Beta, I want to start playing for real with a character that won't be wiped!

-SPI- on
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    I like Khaine's Embrace too, but I never got into one this weekend. Gates or Nordenwatch always popped first. It seems to me that HEvDE will be the lowest population pairing.

That's a shame. I like hearing the reaction of noobs getting blown up by Khaine's Wrath.

Haha I've pretty much got "Run you fools!" bound to a key for that instance alone. It takes some people so long to get that yes, that gigantic f-ing fireball can and will kill you if you dick around fighting at the flags.

Makes for some cinematic moments if you run into the cliff at just the right time though.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Erm, so I decided to play a maruader during the last few hours I would have before I was done with preview weekend (will probally be maining them, and wanted to save playing them for launch. Couldent take it), and something wierd is happening. Whenever I mutate, it shows it on the outside, but nothing at all seems to change. My strength stays they same in the Brutality stance when it should be increasing for example. Also, when I hit P, theres nothing in the off hand there, and under the melee tab it says I dont have an off-hand. And the mutated limb doesnt even move to attack during combat... The only thing that seems to be changing is the ability to use abilities that require stances, as well as things that get boosts for having a mutation, such as that one starting ability (forgot its name).

I've tried reseting my mutations multiple times, as well as logging out and back in. Nothing works. Anyone else having this issue?

My marauder worked perfectly - though the stat boosts didn't show up for me in my char tab my auto attacks appeared to do more damage.

Maticore on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maticore wrote: »

My marauder worked perfectly - though the stat boosts didn't show up for me in my char tab my auto attacks appeared to do more damage.

Well, did it ever show your limb actually attacking? Or does it just not do that or something? My character appears to jsut be axe spamming.

Foolish Chaos on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to hope the few people I've seen complaining about these things actually filed a bug report, since... you know, that's what beta is for.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    This game needs to come out already. I've lost all interest in Beta, I want to start playing for real with a character that won't be wiped!

Aside from trying out higher level builds, ditto.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would love it if they let the second half of the Open Beta have access to Rank 31 templates. Just to get a feel for what the careers' role will be in endgame RvR. Due to the career cuts on Destruction side there seems to be a lot more Chosen/Black Orcs than healers, even more Shamans than DoKs and Zealots. I may just make Zealot my main and have a BO or DoK alt.

Tyberius on
  • LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From the Order side of things, I played up an Archmage and I'm impressed to find a class that so perfectly suits my playstyle. Having survivability requires a good amount of work, but once I bound target self to my aux mouse button it got a lot better.

This game is required to release. Immediately.

On the bright side, my wife is away from the 18th-23rd, so it's pizza and WAR for me. She'll come back and I'll be a be-pimpled troll, hunched over the keyboard, wearing a mumu and muttering about all the retards in my scenario group.

One thing I picked up on -- you can make hideous exp by solo'ing people in the RVR areas if there's no groups going. Just duck away from any large groups. If you have ranged ability, the camps don't protect them worth crap, especially if you have any DOT capabilities. With my archmage, I had little trouble dealing with 2-3 of the sub-moronic Destruction guys running around at a time. ~75 Renown and ~800xp per kill at level 9.

The biggest downsides were the pathing/AI, which is a known issue. I also found it really awkward to try to heal people outside my group in a scenario. I managed, but I had a lot of frustrating cycles.

Leemo on
  • NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry I didn't catch up with anyone else in the PW, I switched to order on a low pop server to get away from the rush and then my computer blew up. I did get a good look at Destruction today though, really liked the BO and Shaman through ~level 10. Zealot seemed promising too. Not sure why but Chosen just didn't stick for me.

Order side, I tried and liked the IB, WH, SW. Archmage and WP didn't really click for some reason. BW was fun for the few levels played but I know I get bored with nukers after a while.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, I finally got my WE the 10/6 gear and I have been destroying people, it isn't even fair. I just dropped a group of three again, this time a Bright Wizard, Shadow Hunter and a Witch Hunter. I wasn't even hurt at the end.

Fizban140 on
  • MazrimMazrim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Wow, I finally got my WE the 10/6 gear and I have been destroying people, it isn't even fair. I just dropped a group of three again, this time a Bright Wizard, Shadow Hunter and a Witch Hunter. I wasn't even hurt at the end.

10/6 gear is batshit loco for most classes. On my ironbreaker I was on kill rampages and I could tank hilarious amounts of focus fire. Good times.

Mazrim on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    The title fails for not incorporating how the goblin /special is the best /special out there.

No, the zealot /special is the best one.
    Maticore wrote: »

Well, did it ever show your limb actually attacking? Or does it just not do that or something? My character appears to jsut be axe spamming.

Depends on the mutation. Brutality swipes at them. Savagery/Monstrosity don't.

Also on the subject of Marauders, I wish I could've figured out how to hulk out my marauder. And marauders get the best ability at rank 11 (a faster sprint that isn't on the same cooldown as Flee!, and also doesn't drain your AP).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yay, got my keys from amazon!
    now that I've put them in, do I wait till the 7th to start playing, or can I actually start now?

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yay, got my keys from amazon!
    now that I've put them in, do I wait till the 7th to start playing, or can I actually start now?

You'll have to wait until the 7th. The preview weekend was only for closed beta testers, CE pre-orders, and the first 50k standard pre-orders. Plus it ends this morning anyway, so by the time you get the client downloaded it would probably be over.

Last Son on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rune Priests are probably my second favorite healer behind Shaman.

If I go Order, I'll be strongly tempted to go that way.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like how you can't tell if your side owns a keep until you spend the money to fly there. I also like how my side owns no keeps.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Neva wrote: »
    I like how you can't tell if your side owns a keep until you spend the money to fly there. I also like how my side owns no keeps.

This must be some new definition of 'like' I'm unaware of.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had the same concern, especially after seeing how hard it is to take Tier 4 zones and unlock enemy content without lower Tiers being taken.

Hmmm? I didn't quite understand this. Why would Tier 2 stuff help at all with Teir 4?

And someone mentioned something about Server Battlegroups sorts of things with cross-server Scenario queues.
    It was brought up a little while ago, that Mythic was exploring that option. But nearly everyone (myself included) dislikes the idea.

I personally don't see how it works with zone control. Which server gets the points when you win? And do you put multiple servers on one side? Or do you have a server vs. server sort of set up?

As for Preview Weekend.
    I was not much in attendance. I played for a sizeable chunk of Friday and a little bit Sunday morning. But the rest of the weekend I had other things to do.

So I got in a bit of time (Rank 10) with the Herder and a little bit of time with a Marauder (Rank 6).

I didn't really do a whole lot of RvR to be honest, as I was really enjoying the PvE :) .
    I did get the Herder up to RR 6 I think doing Ekrund a couple of times, and one foray into the Tier 1 Open RvR area.

Overall, it was very fun and I'm sort of bummed that I have to wait two weeks for the Open Beta :p .

Selner on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

This must be some new definition of 'like' I'm unaware of.

I was lying when I said I liked any of it.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, question for Beta peoples, how heavy are the system requirements?

I mean, I checked the requirements on Mythic's site, but those are always to be taken with a grain of salt. I am seriously considering bulding a new pc for this game but my budget is low, so I'm wondering how cheap I can get by with.

Inglorious Coyote on
    edited August 2008
    So, question for Beta peoples, how heavy are the system requirements?

I mean, I checked the requirements on Mythic's site, but those are always to be taken with a grain of salt. I am seriously considering bulding a new pc for this game but my budget is low, so I'm wondering how cheap I can get by with.
    Pretty cheap, I run the game with a geforce 6800 GT, AMD 3200+ and 2 gigs of ram. It runs pretty good most of the time (just a guess but probably 25 FPS) but in PvP there is a lot of slowdown and in zerg fests it stutters a lot.

Fizban140 on
  • AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Just use your map to tell which keeps you own. It'll save you a alot of time if you're looking to buy renown gear.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    Oh yea, I found something new out this 'whateverthefucktimeitis'. There are item sets in the game. I played like 6 characters to ~10 and didn't know that, then on my 7th character I suddenly got several of them.

Last Son on
    edited August 2008
    The discussion in the 100+ page thread was about the 10/6 gear before it got locked.

Apparently the disparity between the haves and have-nots is massive in Teir 1, because of that gear.

There was a screen shot in the locked thread, comparing stats, that was frankly mind-boggling.

It appears that early quests are not giving out enough, or good enough gear. Which I can agree with. Doing almost all PvE I ran my little Herder up to Rank 10. Easily 75% of the quests were xp/gold only, very, very light on the equipment reard side.

Actually, most of the equipment rewards look to be PQ Inf Rewards.

What I think WAR is missing at the moment is ROG gear. Random Object Generator gear. Anyone who has played DAoC is familiar with that term.
    It's in WoW too, the random green stuff with prefixes and suffixes.

WAR doesn't appear to have that random stuff.

And the other suggestion for the 10/6 gear is to make it 12/6 gear instead, which would make it Tier 2 gear.

I'm not really qualified to talk about it too much, seeing as my playtime this weekend was limited. But I thought I'd get the discussion going again :) .

Selner on
    edited August 2008
    I think the RR gear needs a nerf, or everything else needs a buff. It is just plain ridiculous, there is no point in trying to get first in a PQ when you can just grind for a couple hours and get the RR gear. It makes getting gear anywhere else in the game pointless.

Fizban140 on
    edited August 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    The discussion in the 100+ page thread was about the 10/6 gear before it got locked.

Apparently the disparity between the haves and have-nots is massive in Teir 1, because of that gear.

There was a screen shot in the locked thread, comparing stats, that was frankly mind-boggling.

It appears that early quests are not giving out enough, or good enough gear. Which I can agree with. Doing almost all PvE I ran my little Herder up to Rank 10. Easily 75% of the quests were xp/gold only, very, very light on the equipment reard side.

Actually, most of the equipment rewards look to be PQ Inf Rewards.

What I think WAR is missing at the moment is ROG gear. Random Object Generator gear. Anyone who has played DAoC is familiar with that term.
    It's in WoW too, the random green stuff with prefixes and suffixes.

WAR doesn't appear to have that random stuff.

And the other suggestion for the 10/6 gear is to make it 12/6 gear instead, which would make it Tier 2 gear.

I'm not really qualified to talk about it too much, seeing as my playtime this weekend was limited. But I thought I'd get the discussion going again :) .

WAR has RoG gear, its just stupidly rare. Which combined with the fact that every item in the game is restricted to a single class and that gear for a class can drop in any zone means the likelihood of finding something that you can use is laughable at best.

Last Son on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So is there an EU/US split in WAR? And if so, which side are the PA guilds on? I have suddenly found myself incredibly excited for this game for reasons beyond my understanding...

SpongeCake on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So why not grind a couple of hours and get the RR gear right off the bat?

Question:

Is there a 'hardcore' RvR? I dont mean perma-death, but what I do mean is if you die you have to wait out the 'round' untill the next 'round' begins.

Other Question:

How long is open beta?

Casually Hardcore on
    edited August 2008
    Question:

Is there a 'hardcore' RvR? I dont mean perma-death, but what I do mean is if you die you have to wait out the 'round' untill the next 'round' begins.

Other Question:

How long is open beta?

1) Not as far as I'm aware.

2) It starts Sep. 7th, the headstart starts Sep. 14th, and I'd imagine a day of downtime to wipe the servers and get things set up so I'd say around 6 days.

Last Son on
    edited August 2008

Question:

Other Question:

How long is open beta?
    Because in all it costs about 1 gold which is a bit to get, and that also doesn't solve the problem that it makes all other gear you can get from levels 1-15 pointless.

Fizban140 on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Because it completely invalidates one aspect of the game, that being PvE. Mythic has stated that people should be able to get gear either in PvE or RvR, but at least in the first Tier of gameplay, there is only a scarce amount of gear you can get and it's like wearing paper compared to the 10/6 gear which isn't even very intuitive to obtain.

There really isn't much of a variety of equipment in the game at all, and I think that could be something which hurts WAR if it isn't remedied early on. If there's anything that CoX and WoW (i.e. the differences between them) proved, was that people love gear. Dyeing will only go so far, especially when they can't even get the colors right.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited August 2008
    and that also doesn't solve the problem that it makes all other gear you can get from levels 1-15 pointless.

I think this is the big issue.
    Are there no quest rewards, or mob drops that are even close to the 10/6 gear? If not, then that is honestly a problem IMO.

The "tracks" for gear should not be that uneven or unbalanced.
    I should be able to find gear from PvE that has similar stats. And that gear should not be in a 1st place PQ loot bag.

It looks like the 10/6 gear is just plain easier to get.
    Spend a couple hours in Scenarios, and POOF, you've got an entire set, specifically designed for your class.

Or, you can spend a couple hours in PvE doing quests for cash and the occassional gear drop that is not designed for your class.

Are the later Tiers just as bad with gear? Where there's a giant jump in power ratings?

Selner on
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, there's no question at this point that Magus will be my main. I'm probably going to try out a DoK or Sorc during OB so I don't get burnt out though.

Back to the PQ discussion. I ran into quite a few empty PQs late Saturday and Sunday. The one thing that was nice was I could do some easy Inf. farming, but then again what's the point since I already had my 10/6 gear.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, there's speculation that the Hammerer is going to be replaced with the Trollslayer. I can only hope! The Trollslayer Dwarfs are the coolest dwarfs!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are the later Tiers just as bad with gear? Where there's a giant jump in power ratings?

It does not appear that way so far. Part of the reason the Renown Rank six gear is so good is because it's designed to allow a character to get through most of the early part of tier two until they can get the gear at the next renown rank. Further, it is the first time most characters are offered helmets, cloaks, and shoulderpads (though sometimes these do come before).

Then to make matters worse, a lot of people are essentially running around with some of (if not a lot of) their starter gear on still, which is essentially garbage.

Though it should be noted that when we were allowed to play tier four the itemization was quite obviously still being worked on.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    edited August 2008
    I checked the inluence rewards (rep you build up in a zone from doing PQs, usually best gear you get in PvE) in a teir 2 zone and it still wasn't as good as the realm rank gear.

Fizban140 on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I checked the inluence rewards (rep you build up in a zone from doing PQs, usually best gear you get in PvE) in a teir 2 zone and it still wasn't as good as the realm rank gear.

Its not hard to figure out why RR gear is so much better, they want you to take part in RvR, its really the whole point of the game. I do agree that the disparity in stats between the PQ and RR gear is huge but I really like the idea that the only way to get the best gear is to participate in RvR, some guy grinding a PQ shouldn't have a chance of getting better or even as-good-as gear as someone who's been on the battlefront taking/defending keeps.

I don't really see the differences from T1 to T2 being as nearly a big as the problem that the quest reward gear to T1 gear was. I do think they need to change the level at which you can use T1 gear by at very least one level making it 11/6 or even 12/6 but I don't think the stats of the gear itself needs to be nerfed.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had the same concern, especially after seeing how hard it is to take Tier 4 zones and unlock enemy content without lower Tiers being taken.

Hmmm? I didn't quite understand this. Why would Tier 2 stuff help at all with Teir 4?

It became a problem on Warpstone, late at night, after everyone migrated to other servers and population as about 150-200 per side. Probably not a *common* scenario after launch, but certainly possible on certain days at certain times.

Taking every single point in, say Reikland, wasn't enough to unlock the next Tier, even with equal-but-small amounts of opposition. Capping and getting keeps didn't generate enough realm points to win the zone; you need the boost from large combats, lots of PQs, or Scenarios (which you can't do if everyone's already fighting for the keeps and all). The lower Tier Scenarios, in theory, contribute to this, making it possible for Scenarios and PQs for a Tier to be largely ignored.

Yeah, this is a population issue as much as anything else, but not having people in those lower Tiers *does* change the game some.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

It became a problem on Warpstone, late at night, after everyone migrated to other servers and population as about 150-200 per side. Probably not a *common* scenario after launch, but certainly possible on certain days at certain times.

Taking every single point in, say Reikland, wasn't enough to unlock the next Tier, even with equal-but-small amounts of opposition. Capping and getting keeps didn't generate enough realm points to win the zone; you need the boost from large combats, lots of PQs, or Scenarios (which you can't do if everyone's already fighting for the keeps and all). The lower Tier Scenarios, in theory, contribute to this, making it possible for Scenarios and PQs for a Tier to be largely ignored.

Yeah, this is a population issue as much as anything else, but not having people in those lower Tiers *does* change the game some.
    So now that the NDA is lifted, are there any good resources describing how all this stuff works? For example, are you saying that the Victory Points gained from BOs/Keeps are influenced by the amount of PvP occurring around them?

I haven't listened to most of the developer podcasts, so maybe it's covered there.

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.