As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

8800 nVidia drivers on Vista 64?

HilleanHillean Registered User regular
The most current drivers on nVidia's website cause lock-ups when I restart my computer, to where my PC either hard-locks right after booting up, or typically both monitors go out once Vista boots up... I get my desktop for a few moments, and then I get one or the other.

Any ideas from people who have drivers to work, what I should try? I'm tired of installing, rebooting, turning into safe mode to uninstall, etc.... I want something to work!

greenguy1980.jpg
Hillean on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I use the nvidia drivers with no problems... how about trying the microsoft distributed drivers? you can get them through windows update.

Dehumanized on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I use the nvidia drivers with no problems... how about trying the microsoft distributed drivers? you can get them through windows update.

I don't see it on my options of Available Updates, is there some sector to that?

I jsut upgraded to Vista 64 tonight, i'm fairly new to Vista.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you have to uninstall the nvidia ones, then run windows update after a reboot. That should load the Microsoft drivers. It'll just say "Generic Video Card" or something to that effect.

1ddqd on
    edited August 2008
    I'll definately try that when I get home from work.

Thanks!

Edit: After reading up some more... does anyone know if Service Pack 1 comes up on your 'windows update' automatically-download list?

I downloaded 26 different updates, mostly random junk, I don't remember SP1... I've heard this makes a big difference with how Vista runs with programs and such.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, it will automatically download - there are sequential updates that it needs before it can install SP1 - the biggest and best improvement is with deleting files and moving files around on storage volumes - times are MUCH faster!

1ddqd on
    edited August 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Yes, it will automatically download - there are sequential updates that it needs before it can install SP1 - the biggest and best improvement is with deleting files and moving files around on storage volumes - times are MUCH faster!

I'll hafta see if this version of Ultimate has SP1 built in or not, being at work sucks as I have none of this at my disposal :D

I think I'm going to reformat tonight, and just start from scratch. See where that takes me.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If your disc doens't have SP1 built in just go through Windows Update. This is faster than downloading the standalone installer and it avoids other possible problems.

Dark Shroud on