As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Small-scale component audio solution?

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
So it's that time of year again when folks are packing shit up to go back to university and whatnot, and as I was gonna' do so for the 360 I was reminded of something I've been meaning to do.

When it comes to gaming I'm a headphones man, and for the last 8 months or so that I've had a 360 I've been using this old media center box thing that my brother left behind. Now it works, and I'd be fine with it if I didn't ahve to shuttle back and forth every so often, but the problem is that it is huge - like, late 80s huge, 2 1/3 times a 360 in volume huge, and 4 times a 360 in weight huge, and it's a pain trying to get this thing around. Thus this thread.

Now I suppose I could just buy another system just like it, but there's still the problem of portability and all that since the new one might still be huge relatively. Thus I'm going to throw this out here and see what I get.

Basically, I'm looking for the smallest device available that can
  • Receive audio through component
  • Transmit the audio from input to output without cocking it up
  • And can output through headphones (size not being an issue since I've got a plug for such)
  • Volume control isn't nessecary, but it'd be damn useful nevertheless
I don't need any fancy crap like having multiple inputs and outputs for different devices, since this thing is strictly for the 360 and I don't give a rat's ass about fancy add-ons like adding on-the-fly accoustic alterations to make it sound like tha audio's coming out of a Pringles can or a toilet bowl or whatever the hell they offer nowadays. All I need is a small doodad with the aforementioned capabilities and enough support and I'm gold.

Sorenson on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Many A/V switchers have a headphone out, though obviously they won't often have a volume control. Something like this, maybe? If you're looking to use the component video (rather than composite) you'll probably want to run the video straight to your TV, and just run the audio into this thing.

You can also consider grabbing a pair of cheap computer speakers, and do some improvising. With an adapter (stereo RCA female to 3.5mm female, available through mail order or possible at your local Radio Shack, or also buildable using a two-stage method with items available at Wal-Mart) you could hook your Xbox 360 up to a pair of standard amplified PC speakers, many of which also include a headphone jack that will be conveniently controlled by the main volume control.

You're looking at maybe $20 for a cheap set at Wal-Mart or Target, plus maybe another $5-$10 for the adapter. If you think this is the route you might want to go, but don't know exactly what to look for, just let me know and I can probably link you to what I'm talking about (both speakers and adapter).

EDIT: Just so you know what I'm talking about on the adapter, take a look at the worlds smallest picture ever. Clicky. That's actually a female RCA to male 3.5mm, but since most computer speakers use a patch cable (double-male) rather than having a built-in cord (like headphones) that'll probably work anyway. For a better picture (it's a solid adapter rather than cord, but same connections) this is a standard part available pretty much anywhere. Combine with any set of amplified PC speakers that have a headphone out, and you're golden. Even something as cheap as these would probably work (note the headphone jack on the side, which you would be using), though to some extent when it comes to audio quality you're going to get what you pay for. The price of the speakers will generally have more to do with the quality out of the speakers themselves than how shitty the pre-amp running the headphones will be, but still.

mcdermott on