As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digital cameras: looking for a good point-and-shoot

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
My wife and I are going on vacation and she's finally taking the plunge on a digital camera. She's been thinking about a nice $500+ digital SLR, but now she'd just rather get a point-and-shoot since their quality has been increasing pretty readily and she would never lug the gear around for the "nice" camera anyway. :)

Anyway, I know absolutely nothing in terms of brands, so does anyone have suggestions for something in the sub-$200 market for digital point-and-shoots? Her mother has a slim Nikon Coolpix (I want to say it's 9MP) that she likes, and I'm trying to figure out the model number.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anything Canon will be good. You pretty much can't go wrong with them for point and click.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Canon A570IS or A590IS are the best under-$200 point and shoot cameras out there. You get full manual controls and the standard auto modes (Av, Tv) plus the ability to shoot RAW with some custom firmware (CDHK). It's a good size but not really pocketable.

Skip Nikon's point and shoot offerings at the moment. While their high end stuff is nice, their consumer P+Ss are mediocre at best. Oh, and megapixels don't matter - you'd be fine with a 4MP camera, and I'd definitely suggest one if there were one available, as more megapixels on a similar size sensor means much more noise.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Buy the nicest Canon you can afford that you'll be comfortable carrying around. If the Powershot A line is too bulky, that's a shame because they're really, really nice cameras. Particularly if you're interested in actually learning how to use a camera in manual mode, with a view to one day moving up to a DSLR. If you really just want something to use at the bar or whatever though, it's not strictly necessary to get something with a broad range of manual controls.

As much as I hate to admit that.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good idea skipping the SLR. Travelling with one is way more work and worry than its worth unless you've got a bit of experience taking photographs and you need this or that lens for a particular shot. I've seen some decent pictures coming from the Canon Elphs, or whatever they're called, but it's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the major brands.

Drunk_caterpillar on