As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX- Penny Arcade Expo, anyone hear of it?

124»

• Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Anyone else going to the pre-PAX industry night thingy? If you don't know what it is, then you probably don't have an invite and can disregard this. But anyone who is going, it'd be cool to meet up and say hi.

Otherwise, I'll be at PAX for at least Friday and Saturday. I'm supposed to be wearing a black Microsoft Casual Games shirt, handing out free Hexic cards to anyone/everyone, but we'll see how long that lasts ...

I'll also be sporting a player pin from TWEWY. :)

Whose ass do I need to kiss to get an invite?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Anyone else going to the pre-PAX industry night thingy? If you don't know what it is, then you probably don't have an invite and can disregard this. But anyone who is going, it'd be cool to meet up and say hi.

Otherwise, I'll be at PAX for at least Friday and Saturday. I'm supposed to be wearing a black Microsoft Casual Games shirt, handing out free Hexic cards to anyone/everyone, but we'll see how long that lasts ...

Well, it's a meet-up for local Seattle-area game developers. If that includes you, then PM me and I can forward you details on who to contact. I think you can bring guests though. I just got invited to it myself.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so if anyone wants help deciding, here's a neat tool someone whipped up:

www.paxscheduler.com

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish I was a Seattle based game developer...

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ooh! That scheduler is zetta useful! Thanks!

So, anyone talks in particular people are going to see? I'm definitely going to the 1UP Yours one, try to get into the keynote, and the "Is Casual Killing Core Games?" panel (friend of mine from work is moderating). I haven't decided which game-related demos I want to see yet. Dragon Age is high on my list though.

JCRooks on

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It sounds like that meeting specifically filters out people like me, a person who doesn't currently develop games but will (probably) be a game developer once I finish my MS in CS. I would just get in the way. They'll meet plenty of people like me at PAX anyway.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Speaking of drinking, one bar that might fit the G&T community is Shorty's. They've got a ton of awesome pinball machines there.

There's also the PAX Pub Crawl which I am tempted to go on as well. Get me liquored up enough and I may tell some fun stories I have ... :)

Just wanted to note that that is no longer the Pre-PAX bar crawl.

It is now The Triwizard Drinking Tournament. (link in sig)

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    mspencer wrote: »
    It sounds like that meeting specifically filters out people like me, a person who doesn't currently develop games but will (probably) be a game developer once I finish my MS in CS. I would just get in the way. They'll meet plenty of people like me at PAX anyway.

For the regular meetups, yeah it's for industry folks to get together, drink, and chat. There's a lot of us in the area. For Thursday though, folks are allowed to bring guests but I'm not sure what that means. Guests = anyone, or just fellow industry folks? This meetup is a bit different than the others (and to be honest, I haven't gone to any of the others)

JCRooks on

• Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Well, it's a meet-up for local Seattle-area game developers. If that includes you, then PM me and I can forward you details on who to contact. I think you can bring guests though. I just got invited to it myself.

I'm not Seattle based. You didn't mention that as a criteria.

Some people call Edmonton the Seattle of Alberta though*, does that count?

* - no, they really don't do this.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't really get why an expo booth has a schedule, but here it is. I think it's when those games will be playable i guess with swag related to it i guess?

http://kotaku.com/5041578/microsoft-unveils-pax-schedule
    Microsoft Unveils PAX Schedule

Microsoft have finalized the list of demos they will be bringing along to PAX next weekend.

Those champing at the bit for more glimpses of Gears of War 2 will not be disappointed -- there will even be a couple of Gears signing sessions, should you have any merchandise you need to boost on eBay.

Other demos we would class as 'eagerly awaited' are Halo Wars and Project Origin, but MS will be showing off their new Games Creation and 'Mashups' tool PopFly as well as more info on the New Xbox Experience.

It is those 'TBA' demos on the Saturday & Sunday afternoons, that have us intrigued, though. What could it be? Is it a new game? Could it be the long awaited Next-Gen updates of Minesweeper and Freecell? Have they finally gone mental and are bringing out a portable Xbox?

Exciting!

Full schedule after the jump..

Friday

2:00 PM Gears of War 2

3:00 PM Project Origin

4:00 PM Gears of War 2

5:00 PM Popfly

6:00 PM Project Origin

Saturday

10:00 AM Halo Wars

10:30 AM New Xbox Experience

11:30 AM Popfly

12:00 PM Gears of War 2

1:00 PM Gears of War 2 Signing Session

3:30 PM New Xbox Experience

4:30 PM TBA

Sunday

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I don't really get why an expo booth has a schedule, but here it is. I think it's when those games will be playable i guess with swag related to it i guess?

http://kotaku.com/5041578/microsoft-unveils-pax-schedule
    Microsoft Unveils PAX Schedule

Microsoft have finalized the list of demos they will be bringing along to PAX next weekend.

Those champing at the bit for more glimpses of Gears of War 2 will not be disappointed -- there will even be a couple of Gears signing sessions, should you have any merchandise you need to boost on eBay.

Other demos we would class as 'eagerly awaited' are Halo Wars and Project Origin, but MS will be showing off their new Games Creation and 'Mashups' tool PopFly as well as more info on the New Xbox Experience.

It is those 'TBA' demos on the Saturday & Sunday afternoons, that have us intrigued, though. What could it be? Is it a new game? Could it be the long awaited Next-Gen updates of Minesweeper and Freecell? Have they finally gone mental and are bringing out a portable Xbox?

Exciting!

Full schedule after the jump..

Friday

4:00 PM Gears of War 2

5:00 PM Popfly

6:00 PM Project Origin

Saturday

Sunday

Actually, it make sense after seeing the booth last year. It was a big open area with 1 big display in front of a bunch of couches. They rotated what they showed in that area, between things like Mass Effect and Scene It!. Sounds like it's going to be the same thing again. There were also a ton of demo stations for various 360 games.

JCRooks on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm so there for Project Origin.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Havn't been on G&T for a while, I guess this is as good of time as any other.

I'm so there.

I just scanned through the thread: a pre-PAX seattle area game dev meetup? Boo. You know what, I'm going to start my own, pre-PAX, non seattle area game dev meetup. Just to spite.

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    im going.
    i have no idea what to expect since its my first time

be gentle...

delphinus on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be at PAX.

Too bad it seems like I almost never post anymore. I'll have to rectify that next week.

Aydr on