As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is the likely suspect here?

Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state universityRegistered User regular
While playing City of Heroes my screen suddenly went black and I was unable to do anything in that state so I shut down my computer and tried to boot it back up. For several minutes I was unable to even turn on my computer as in no power up noise, no lights turning on nothing. I checked all my connections outside of the computer and everything was fine. Then a few minutes later I was just suddenly able to turn the computer on again. What is the likely cause of this problem? If you need any more specifics feel free to ask and I will provide.

Gear Girl on

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What motherboard do you have? It could have been doing some automated recovery when you tried to turn it back on. You could have overheated as well. Try to monitor your temps while gaming to see if it is getting too hot.

alternate cause:

God hates you.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    What motherboard do you have? It could have been doing some automated recovery when you tried to turn it back on. You could have overheated as well. Try to monitor your temps while gaming to see if it is getting too hot.

alternate cause:

God hates you.

Anything new in your system? It could be your power supply telling you "Uh yea, i'm getting worn thin..." and shutting down, and then the PSU's safety lock enabled itself so you couldn't turn it on. Another cause could simply be overheating. Like Macro9 said, get some temp readings and post them up for us.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My computer does get hells of hot, but I run a big box fan into the case during gaming sessions(side of case off obviously). Usually my video card for example hovers around 75-80 degrees during intense gaming and it idles at about 70 with the fan off. My CPU is idling at 62, motherboard at 33. I can try to get some gaming readings on those if you guys need them.

My video card is new, when they installed it they tested my power supply for a bit and said it should hold out but maybe it's decided it doesn't like running my video card anymore.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    My computer does get hells of hot, but I run a big box fan into the case during gaming sessions(side of case off obviously). Usually my video card for example hovers around 75-80 degrees during intense gaming and it idles at about 70 with the fan off. My CPU is idling at 62, motherboard at 33. I can try to get some gaming readings on those if you guys need them.

My video card is new, when they installed it they tested my power supply for a bit and said it should hold out but maybe it's decided it doesn't like running my video card anymore.

CPU Idling at 62? That sounds dangerously hot. What brand/model is it?

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    Motherboard is a A7N8X-E
    Video card is a X1950 Pro 512 MB

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    Motherboard is a A7N8X-E
    Video card is a X1950 Pro 512 MB

Eh, have you considered upgrading?

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    Not an option, just no money.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    Not an option, just no money.

Alright, fair enough. Since "improving airflow to your case" won't be needed (giant fan by your PC, jesus hah) I suspect it might be your heatsink. You could get a new heatsink ($15-35) for your CPU, but you might as well just get a new CPU since you're already spending a few bucks, and the newer AMD Athlon X2 are ridiculously cheap now. But I say we reserve that judgment call for last, since you have no dough.

If you remember the day/time of said crash, I say you got to...

Start -> Run -> Eventvwr.msc

and start browsing around for System and Application errors. Post back what you see to us.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    These 3 were all that was in error or warning wise from today. I can't really remember the exact time. Think it was closest to the second one.

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{73D1C4CD-0286-4717-BB2A-72B4C93373DD}. The backup browser is stopping.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{73D1C4CD-0286-4717-BB2A-72B4C93373DD}. The backup browser is stopping.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

---

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    These 3 were all that was in error or warning wise from today. I can't really remember the exact time. Think it was closest to the second one.

---

---

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Anything from the time of your PC crash and blackout? Thought the HDD error seems out of place, I still want to look at any errors from the exact time of your crash.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    My crash was today and those are the only ones from today. I beleive the second is the closest in time though I'm not sure it is the exact time or anything.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    My crash was today and those are the only ones from today. I beleive the second is the closest in time though I'm not sure it is the exact time or anything.

That leaves any major system flaws - meaning either an overheat or a power blackout. Know the stats of your power supply?

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    It wasn't a power blackout, everything else in the room was still working including things plugged in to the same outlet. I will try to get a look at my power supply later today.

Gear Girl on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My computer does get hells of hot, but I run a big box fan into the case during gaming sessions(side of case off obviously).

I assume you've cleaned any dust out? This gets a case dirty in a hurry.

I'm going to guess that the PSU was never really intended to drive that X1950, and it's finally given up the ghost.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited August 2008
    I clean regularly yes.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2008
    It wasn't a power blackout, everything else in the room was still working including things plugged in to the same outlet. I will try to get a look at my power supply later today.

You misread. I mean power blackout as in your PSU blacked out cause it couldn't provide enough power. Though I probably should have phrased it better.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you know the make/model of your Power Supply? If not that do you know its watts? I had a similar problem with my old computer and CoH where it caused it to just get so hot that the computer would just shut itself off. Have you checked that actual heatsink to make sure there isn't any dust collected inside the "fins"?

smokmnky on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How often does it happen. Is it *only* when you game, and is it *only* with CoH?

Most usual culprit is the PSU, followed by RAM and the motherboard. Sometimes random software crashes will cause this as well, but rarely.

Give us a complete spec list of your system. You can get UnknownDevices and just export everything to a text file so you can copy and paste here.

1ddqd on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    99% sure its the PSU. If you just added a video card and its doing this the PSU is likely telling you to fuck off because it can't hamdle it. Pumps too much power through the copper, starts to heat up, says "fuck this, I'm shutting down"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar