As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New to PAX? Read this first and ask questions here

• QuickTacticalQuickTactical Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, thank you. That means none of us are playing in the WoW tournament lol.

As for console freeplay...do we have to bring our own consoles?

QuickTactical on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    no, there will be consoles :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey folks,

It's my first PAX. I'm excited. But one thing (hell, THE thing) that really got me into gaming back in high school was massive all-night games of CS at internet cafes. LAN parties like the BYOC section are great, but for those of us who can't bring our rigs across the country, is there any good net cafes around the PAX site that have a decent selection of games? If so, is there any people here on the forum who might be up for some late-night CS one of the nights we're all in Seattle?

MrBartokomous on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why would you go to a LAN cafe when you could just go to the PC freeplay area?

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's a PC Freeplay area? Sweet.

MrBartokomous on
    edited August 2008
    There's a PC Freeplay area? Sweet.

Yeah :P theres about 280 computers that are setup that anybody can play at. Its in the same room as the BYOC area (the room is split in half and on the same network)

BigRed on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, it's probably in this giant thread somewhere but...how hard/easy is it to get into the keynote / Mike & Jerry panels?

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    there's a room for the line for it. it really depends on if things fill up this year. if they do, then you'll need to be in the megaline to get in

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• sikkinixxsikkinixx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    is there wifi in the building? I imagine if there it, it's pay though...

and $26 a day for parking? owwwie, good thing my hotel is cheap!

sikkinixx on
    edited August 2008
    sikkinixx wrote: »
    is there wifi in the building? I imagine if there it, it's pay though...

and $26 a day for parking? owwwie, good thing my hotel is cheap!

There is free wifi there

BigRed on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Will he be thar?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Edit: I see this question is the result of a moved topic. I have absolutely no idea about Alex Navarro.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    There's been no news of it and nothing on the schedule, I'm going to have to assume no, he's not going to be "thar"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Also, there's food courts in the convention center, right?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, you can buy food in the convention center, although the lines are very long. There's also two malls within easy walking distance of the convention center that also have food courts, and there's Pike Place market, about a 10-15 minute walk from the center as well.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    There's been no news of it and nothing on the schedule, I'm going to have to assume no, he's not going to be "thar"
    He works for Harmonix now. And here's a quote from his blog:
    The first big public test [of Rock Band 2] is going to be at PAX, which is, much to my ability to sleep’s chagrin, immediately following Leipzig. I’ll be out there helping to demo the game at our little station of rock. You’ll also likely see me hovering around “The Rockening,” which is a panel being given by several longtime HMX staffers on the history of the company. That should be pretty rad, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008
    I stand corrected

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mrkbntmrkbnt Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone know about any details for the Recon Challenge this weekend at PAX? Like what time they are doing it, what days, if you have to register before or just show up?

mrkbnt on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is there typically a thread for arranging console freeplay things? Like say if we wanted to hold an impromptu Street Fighter Alpha competition on a PS2(via Alpha Anthology).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is there typically a thread for arranging console freeplay things? Like say if we wanted to hold an impromptu Street Fighter Alpha competition on a PS2(via Alpha Anthology).

There will be a console freeplay LFG room this year, so hang out in there and ask if people want to play.

Or you could post on the forums for a meetup at console freeplay if you want to organize it in advance.

BigRed on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

There will be a console freeplay LFG room this year, so hang out in there and ask if people want to play.

Or you could post on the forums for a meetup at console freeplay if you want to organize it in advance.

Will there be console based DDR at the freeplay room? :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I stand corrected
    I'm just bored at my last (9 1/2 hour) day of work before the event. I gots time to be random people's personal google searcher.

Transparent on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How close is this:
    Washington - Seattle - Seattle Waterfront Arcade
    1301 Alaskan Way
    Pier 57 - Bay Pavillion
    Seattle, WA 98101
    DX / $0.75

to PAX? Turns out there is a Pump It Up: NX2 cabinet in the area.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How close is this:
    1301 Alaskan Way
    Pier 57 - Bay Pavillion
    Seattle, WA 98101
    DX / $0.75

Not far, just a block or so over from pike place which isn't too bad a walk. (just don't get too tired out playing pump it up because it is all uphill back to the convention center)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Convention+Pl,+Seattle,+King,+Washington,+United+States&daddr=1301+Alaskan+Way,+seattle,+wa&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=47.607535,-122.334425&sspn=0.008622,0.019934&ie=UTF8&ll=47.608565,-122.335961&spn=0.008622,0.019934&t=h&z=16

faits on
    faits.png
    edited August 2008
    faits wrote: »
    How close is this:
    1301 Alaskan Way
    Pier 57 - Bay Pavillion
    Seattle, WA 98101
    DX / $0.75

Not far, just a block or so over from pike place which isn't too bad a walk. (just don't get too tired out playing pump it up because it is all uphill back to the convention center)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Convention+Pl,+Seattle,+King,+Washington,+United+States&daddr=1301+Alaskan+Way,+seattle,+wa&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=47.607535,-122.334425&sspn=0.008622,0.019934&ie=UTF8&ll=47.608565,-122.335961&spn=0.008622,0.019934&t=h&z=16

Awesome, I'll have to at least check it out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Altima NEOAltima NEO Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hy guys, sorry if this has been asked a million times. Ive searched, but I just want some clarification.

There is parking at the actual Convention Center, correct? And its 26 dollars a day to park there?
    Is it going to be difficult to find space in there?

Are there any other options for parking (local parking garages, etc?)

Im driving up from Portland Saturday afternoon, and only sticking around for PAX Saturday/Sunday, but only staying at a hotel Saturday night (so leaving the car at the hotel is a no go).

Thanks guys.

Altima NEO on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Local parking garages near the convention center will charge similar rates.

Finding parking at the convention center is not hard at all. Finding GOOD parking is.

Officer on
    edited August 2008
    Resident Evil 5 will not be there, correct?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • VanderVander Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Capcom ain't there so no dice.

Vander on
  • yomondo77yomondo77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got a few questions?
    what kind of souvenirs/food can i buy there?

how do signing panels/Gameplay (gears2) booths work?

is there a security?

how long can u stay on the demo booths?

yomondo77 on
  • kawgarikawgari Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hear they have a lot going on outside of PAX, lat year they had free drink tickets at Gameworks, free movies, hotels host drink tickets and buffets... Is there going to be anything like that this year? And if so, WHERE IS IT?

kawgari on
    Rule 34....no exceptions.
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    @ Yomondo77:
    Fast food directly in the convention center. Seattle's Best Coffee, Taco Del Mar, Subway, etc. Souvenirs range from tee shirts to games to PA/Bungie/whatever typical merch.

Wait in lines to play demos/get autographs. Usually long lines, but very efficient. Length depends on the event, too.

WSCTC Green coats and Enforcers are active security, as well as Seattle police patrolling the WSCTC regularly.

Length of time at the demos depends on the exhibitors and what they deem is a good length of time to be demo-ing, and how popular it is. I'd say no max. 10 minutes on demos, and that sounds pretty lengthy.

@kawgari: Any events happening outside PAX are not actually organized by the PA crew. You can call around to the local spots and ask if they'll have any deals going on, or check their websites.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know this was a page or two ago, but as a local... if you're going to look to buy video games while at PAX, do NOT go to the store in Westlake. The help there is horrible. The gamestore in the bottom level of Pacific Place is WAY better. I work at that shopping center, and all the folks who work there are real cool. I'd imagine some of them are going, so it'll be interesting to see who is left to man the store.

MeeOk on
    edited August 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    @ Yomondo77:
    Fast food directly in the convention center. Seattle's Best Coffee, Taco Del Mar, Subway, etc. Souvenirs range from tee shirts to games to PA/Bungie/whatever typical merch.

Wait in lines to play demos/get autographs. Usually long lines, but very efficient. Length depends on the event, too.

WSCTC Green coats and Enforcers are active security, as well as Seattle police patrolling the WSCTC regularly.

Length of time at the demos depends on the exhibitors and what they deem is a good length of time to be demo-ing, and how popular it is. I'd say no max. 10 minutes on demos, and that sounds pretty lengthy.

@kawgari: Any events happening outside PAX are not actually organized by the PA crew. You can call around to the local spots and ask if they'll have any deals going on, or check their websites.

Its a Tullys, not an SBC

BigRed on
  • ToemanToeman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can the tickets at will call sell out? Is there going to be like a line to get them? If so when should i get there. thanks. :o

Toeman on
    edited August 2008
    will call is only if you bought tickets but didnt recieve them in the mal, or if you bought them after the august first deadline.

Im sure you are talking about just buying a ticket day of. No they wont sell out.

BigRed on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    will call is only if you bought tickets but didnt recieve them in the mal, or if you bought them after the august first deadline.

Im sure you are talking about just buying a ticket day of. No they wont sell out.

What is the max capacity of the WSCTC? There has to be some limit to how many passes they can sell.

SlickShughes on
  • yomondo77yomondo77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thank You BigRed :) i got one last question um how many ppl plan to attend PAX?

yomondo77 on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yomondo77 wrote: »
    Thank You BigRed :) i got one last question um how many ppl plan to attend PAX?

This year's reasonable estimate is 50-60k. Every year's reasonable estimate has been under actual, so it could be even bigger.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • ToemanToeman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

What is the max capacity of the WSCTC? There has to be some limit to how many passes they can sell.

Yeah thats what i wanna know. Because everyone is saying they wont sell out but isnt there a max number of people inside the covention center?

Toeman on
This discussion has been closed.