As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Too Human - New thread is up

• Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Considering the sequel will be about
    Revenge
    , I would probably think the next Too Human will be simply
    Too Human: Revenge

Waka Laka on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Something interesting -

Walkthrough of Silicon Knight's Office

There are swords, flow charts/art and Denis's hobby all in one video.

Waka Laka on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Considering the sequel will be about
    Revenge
    , I would probably think the next Too Human will be simply
    Too Human: Revenge

Nope.
    Rise of the Ice Giants or something similar.

devoir on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How about
    Too Human: Nidhogg is your Father
    or, for the subtle humor challenged,
    Too Human: Nidhogg Strikes Back

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    So as I said I played the demo twice. I took the time to learn the fighting system, so yes I "get it", but it still wasn't that fun. On one hand, I think of the skill trees and all that shiny loot I could be getting and it kinda makes me want to play the game. On the other hand, if I think back about my time with the demo, looking beyond the "phat lewt", I wasn't having much fun with the combat itself.

The hordes in the demo are small scale compared to the epic shit you begin to battle in the second level.

That's one of the things that sets this apart from Devil May Cry. DMC seems to be setup for individual encounters, do this and then solve this, do this and then finish that. Too Human does have arena based encounters, but a good amount of time will be spent just busting through hundreds of enemies at a time.

Sheep on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I hit 30 on my champ and beat level 4 with him. I have to say, class selection makes you a badass or not. My Bioeng never died, but every fight took a while and a lot of kiting against everything in hel. My champion twoshot it all in a never ending slide attack chain of doom with a blue con 2h sword.

Badass? Yeah, he's a badass.

kildy on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a red 2 hand sword for a cybernetic if anyone wants a big firey banger of doom. I might have to adjust my skills on my defender and go 2hand sword until I get a red hammer and shield.

I said earlier but I feel too human is a cross between pso and dynasty warriors, I think thats more apt then diablo (specifically pso since there are more then a few similarities).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    So I hit 30 on my champ and beat level 4 with him. I have to say, class selection makes you a badass or not. My Bioeng never died, but every fight took a while and a lot of kiting against everything in hel. My champion twoshot it all in a never ending slide attack chain of doom with a blue con 2h sword.

I found the levels to be VERY gear and skill dependant. As I finally got some of the better options available to my zerker and finally got some decent damage output and armor I turned into a badass as well. But the having to use ranged on garm really makes that fight take a LONG time for me.
    I still find the challenges a bit hard with all the exploding guys in Hel though. Mostly because they blend in so well with the normal guys and aren't instantly recognizable from a distance like the polarity enemies

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Only Defender's can use shields, correct?

Is there anything to get an extra def bonus with a one handed sword, or using a one handed sword simply a speed perk?

Also, do hammer+shield combos count as a one handed or two handed weapon? Meaning, should I engrave a rune that gives me +x% one handed or two handed weapon?

EDIT

also, what weapons use slugs?

Sheep on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know the whole "lolreviews" thing has been done, but thought I would share:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=122336

A 6, from Edge, which imho is alot better than some reviews would have you think, Edge are (despite their critics) one of the tougher reviewers around.

Venkman90 on
  • DenisDyackDenisDyack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    Only Defender's can use shields, correct?

Is there anything to get an extra def bonus with a one handed sword, or using a one handed sword simply a speed perk?

Also, do hammer+shield combos count as a one handed or two handed weapon? Meaning, should I engrave a rune that gives me +x% one handed or two handed weapon?

EDIT

also, what weapons use slugs?

They have -10 damage mitigation and are dual wield.

:)

DenisDyack on
    Denis Dyack
    Director/President
    Silicon Knights
    大悪 :)

In emptiness there is good but no evil. Wisdom exists, logic exists, the Way exists, and the mind is empty.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, 12 May 1645

Too Human
    Too Human.net
  • DenisDyackDenisDyack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have a red 2 hand sword for a cybernetic if anyone wants a big firey banger of doom. I might have to adjust my skills on my defender and go 2hand sword until I get a red hammer and shield.

I said earlier but I feel too human is a cross between pso and dynasty warriors, I think thats more apt then diablo (specifically pso since there are more then a few similarities).

I keep forgetting to say that I am huge Supernatural fan. :)

DenisDyack on
    Denis Dyack
    Director/President
    Silicon Knights
    大悪 :)

In emptiness there is good but no evil. Wisdom exists, logic exists, the Way exists, and the mind is empty.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, 12 May 1645

Too Human
    Too Human.net
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey Dennis! Completed my first playthrough last night, and ready to go at it again soon. Can you give us any hint on when we might see some DLC?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey Denis have you ever played Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? I ask because, based on the finale cutscene in Too Human, I think Too Human 2 could do wonderful things by making its own version of IH:UD's boss fights.
    It contained some of the best
    giant enemy
    gameplay in gaming history.

Accualt on
    edited August 2008
    A 6, from Edge, which imho is alot better than some reviews would have you think, Edge are (despite their critics) one of the tougher reviewers around.

Didn't Edge also give GTA IV a 10?

Yeah.

Tough my fucking ass.

Sheep on
    edited August 2008
    ToyD wrote: »

I found the levels to be VERY gear and skill dependant. As I finally got some of the better options available to my zerker and finally got some decent damage output and armor I turned into a badass as well. But the having to use ranged on garm really makes that fight take a LONG time for me.
    I still find the challenges a bit hard with all the exploding guys in Hel though. Mostly because they blend in so well with the normal guys and aren't instantly recognizable from a distance like the polarity enemies

My champ has never really been trailing in gear, but hasn't been using anything amazing either. Zerkers are just made of glass. And GARM is a stupid, Stupid fight.

Really, that's my biggest bitch with the game (Aside from the RNG being either broken or stupidly designed. Like, seeded by the internal clock once or something). But the boss fights are pretty much all gunplay. Sure you CAN melee them, but it's usually a bad idea to do so. And in GARM's case if you stun him with a ruiner and go melee him.. you take damage and get knocked down for clipping into his model.

kildy on
    edited August 2008
    I have no idea how you are killing the second boss with gunplay. The first was all about finishers. The second was all about finishers, ruiners, and my sentient weapon.

Sheep on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have no idea how you are killing the second boss with gunplay. The first was all about finishers. The second was all about finishers, ruiners, and my sentient weapon.

I did it with gunplay, but it took a llllllooooooooooooooooong time.

But yeah, Garm with a commando is a total pushover.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I wish I could just find some Elite armor for my Defender already. I have the giant flaming sword of justice but I want some armor tooooo...the amount of times Ive gone through the first level trying to get shit...omg...goblins...goblins...goblins...goblins....GOBLINS! Maybe Ill have better luck in a different level...(although my friend has gotten 4 pieces of his Elite shit in the first level...damn him...)

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited August 2008

Second boss:
    You have to use ranged for the majority of his fight. The last phase doesn't take more than a minute, the rest of the phases are ranged required.

Third boss:
    Walk backwards in a long circle, target body parts. Safest way to kill him. No drama at all, no damage at all, no danger. He won't rush unless you're moving in a straight line, and he has no ranged attack.

You can do the same thing to the first boss, but it takes too long. So he has a standing gun phase and a charging melee phase. My first play through he would NOT go back into charge mode, and stayed standing the entire fight.

GARM: All ranged, his model is too buggy to melee effectively, and grenades beat him up badly.

Last Boss: Range or melee. But frankly, ranged is easier unless you rack up combo with a fenrir pop in the last phase, where you can kill her in 15 seconds quite frankly. Without fenrir, it's a looooong fight requiring ranged on the approach to interrupt.

kildy on
    edited August 2008
    Ah. I don't really consider that tower part a section of the boss fight. But then again, if you destroy a platform as he's jumping towards it, he will fall down a level.

Sheep on
    edited August 2008
    That's Really hard to do with -40% ranged damage :D

kildy on
    edited August 2008
    Ah. I don't really consider that tower part a section of the boss fight. But then again, if you destroy a platform as he's jumping towards it, he will fall down a level.

As a zerker that's nigh impossible because you're doing such pathetic damage with your gun. However, dodge roll ftw, even though it takes forever.

I guess the redeeming bonus is that Hel was a TOTAL pushover for my zerker. It about equates to how long it took me to fight GARM since meleeing him is a BAD idea.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Ah. I'm all Defender. Thinking of going Bio or Commando soon.

Sheep on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Second boss:
    You have to use ranged for the majority of his fight. The last phase doesn't take more than a minute, the rest of the phases are ranged required.

I fought Hod in co-op (Commando (me) and Bioengineer) and the last phase took WELL over a minute. He's completely immune to ranged combat, and we both suck at melee. it doesn't help that Hod can 3 shot us and there's no way to gain combo meter once everything is dead.

The container part is only hard the first time you run it. As you level up and get better weapons, the crates drop much faster.

Third boss:
    Walk backwards in a long circle, target body parts. Safest way to kill him. No drama at all, no damage at all, no danger. He won't rush unless you're moving in a straight line, and he has no ranged attack.

You can do the same thing to the first boss, but it takes too long. So he has a standing gun phase and a charging melee phase. My first play through he would NOT go back into charge mode, and stayed standing the entire fight.

Slide -> Ruiner to stun him, then finisher his arms/legs (or whatever you need to break). If you went in with a full combo meter, you should be able to do this at least 7 times (more, if you spend some time killing the goblins and/or human alignment). You'll kill him MUCH faster and it's perfectly safe because he's stunned. Same works on grendal and it's infinitely faster to air finisher his face than dance around shooting.
    GARM: All ranged, his model is too buggy to melee effectively, and grenades beat him up badly.

This, yes. You can melee his head alright.
    Last Boss: Range or melee. But frankly, ranged is easier unless you rack up combo with a fenrir pop in the last phase, where you can kill her in 15 seconds quite frankly. Without fenrir, it's a looooong fight requiring ranged on the approach to interrupt.

I only shot her to stop her ranged attack. Again, slide -> ruiner -> finisher kills her much faster. Use zombies for combo bait.

The only range intensive boss has been Garm and the pre-Hod barrel thing. Everything else you can do fine with melee primary and a small amount (if any) of ranged fire.

aBlank on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

IIRC, if you want to use the Defender's epic set you're stuck with that sword. There's only 2 red elite sets, one for human, one for cyber. The human alignment Defender set gets a mace/shield and the cyber one gets that sword (I think!).

I did see a level 44 epic mace/shield for sale in Tyr's... I don't think it had any alignment attached to it. But it's not part of a set.

aBlank on
    edited August 2008
    It's trendy to have one piece of a set not matching.

I know. My mom's a decorator.

;)

If that makes anyone feel better about having an off suite sword.

Sheep on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DenisDyack wrote: »

I knew I liked you.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited August 2008
    DenisDyack wrote: »

That makes you family in my eyes Denis FAMILY! Also my dads name is Denis.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2008
    aBlank wrote: »

IIRC, if you want to use the Defender's epic set you're stuck with that sword. There's only 2 red elite sets, one for human, one for cyber. The human alignment Defender set gets a mace/shield and the cyber one gets that sword (I think!).

I did see a level 44 epic mace/shield for sale in Tyr's... I don't think it had any alignment attached to it. But it's not part of a set.

I figure there is probably a red hammer and shield somewhere that cybers can use, it might not be attached to a set or anything. I didn't even think to check that to see if it was part of a set.

I figure I'll probably switch my spec from right side to center and adjust my armor for 2hand and sword damage. I mean who wouldn't want to swing a big ass 2 handed sword of fire.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ugh....I need to take a break from playing this game. Practically played nothing else since last Wed, and now I've got serious gamer's thumb going....and I can't even remember the last time that happened D:

But how can I neglect my kickass Level 45 Defender? I mean he just picked up the Epic Winged Shield and Hammer combo, and those Dark Elves won't beat themselves up...

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited August 2008
    I hit 50 this morning on my defender. No red shield but I do have that sword called like burning burn of burns.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just FYI amazon has dropped the price by 10 bucks.

....i caved.....

fodderboy on
    edited August 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    amazon has dropped the price by 10 bucks.

:(

How often does Amazon drop prices on games?

Sheep on
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    amazon has dropped the price by 10 bucks.

:(

How often does Amazon drop prices on games?

Don't know, they just drop 'em randomly. A few months ago i got CoD4 for 40 (360). The price is back up to MSRP now.

fodderboy on
    edited August 2008
    Ah, that's good then. I was worried that Too Human's price was gonna drop. Good for consumers, bad for Dyack.

I was supposed to go speak to HR in the main office today and had the afternoon off. HR can't make it. But I still have the day off.

Too Human here I come!

Sheep on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So...

A voice of sanity over on NeoGAF was pointing out that Too Human's review scores were about the same as some other, well, other games that are now considered hits or at least sleeper hits. The only one I seem to remember mentioned was Shenmune though, and GameRankings doesn't seem to back that up.

The comments in this thread certainly don't back up a 70% rating, anyway, although the whole "falling through the world" bug has me rather worried...

KiTA on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Now the hardest part...waiting for the sequel "Still Too Human"

I'm holding out for "Too Human Too"

I like the sound of "Too Humaner"

Too Human, Too Furious

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rented this a couple days ago and am enjoying this a lot. Haven't had a lot of time to play, but the Berzerker skating all over has been great, though I haven't went into the second level yet (finished the first and did the feasting hall thing, but haven't had a chance to go back to it yet), so I'm looking forward to it.

That being said, and I see Dyack is here, though I'm enjoying the hell out of your game, and I'm sure it's been mentioned more than a few times, I have to say it anyway. I cursed your damned name everytime I died during the Grendel fight. Seriously. Four or five times. The Valkyrie scene is neat and all, but please patch in a skip for it. Please.

Oh, and as a side note, I spent about a week house sitting for family two weeks ago, and went through the entire run of Supernatural so far, start to finish. Too much awesome.

Aoi on
    edited August 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    So...

A voice of sanity over on NeoGAF was pointing out that Too Human's review scores were about the same as some other, well, other games that are now considered hits or at least sleeper hits. The only one I seem to remember mentioned was Shenmune though, and GameRankings doesn't seem to back that up.

The comments in this thread certainly don't back up a 70% rating, anyway, although the whole "falling through the world" bug has me rather worried...

I only fell through the world once in co-op and I was right back up, and I had a bug on the second level with regards to an elevator and the boss fight, but I think both of those were lag related.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.