As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
This is the Wii Shop thread. You might remember it as the Virtual Console thread. There was a time when Virtual Console and WiiWare games were meant to be discussed in separate threads, but that time is now over. This thread is for the discussion of games released on Virtual Console, WiiWare, and DSiWare.

Videos included in spoiler tags when available!

Latest NA releases: (new releases every Monday)

Virtual Console:
Super Star Wars (SNES, 800 Wii points)

WiiWare:
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits (1000 Wii points)
Rock N' Roll Climber (800 Wii points)

DSiWare:
Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters (800 DSi points)

Latest EU releases: (new releases every Monday, to be filled in when I get more info)
Virtual Console:
WiiWare:
DSiWare:

Game Lists:

North American VC Release List
Europe VC Release List
Japanese VC Release List
Australian VC Release List

List of WiiWare games released in North America
List of WiiWare games released in Europe

List of DSiWare games

SteevL on

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ys Book I and II was a great game for its time. I deleted Sin & Punishment just now so I could fit Ys on there, and that was a painful decision. Here's to hoping Nintendo gets us a storage solution that lets me have both those games on my Wii at the same time.

Also, some Ys clips:

Ys intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEp4Fi9kb_Q

Yeah, it's kind of hokey now, but it was amazing back then!

Ys gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bnJYxGfik

And a video that focuses on the game's music with a little gameplay here and there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-P4ZRloiY

Someone else can put up a video of Samurai Shodown 2 because I'm rather unfamiliar with the series.

SteevL on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, basically Ys is a prettier version of Hydlide?

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    edited August 2008
    I remember playing Hydlide on the NES. I don't remember it being fun. Ys is fun, or at least was fun. It's archaic in a few ways, but I think it's an enjoyable game overall.

SteevL on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn it, I only have 700 points in my account. Worthless for anything that I actually want.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darren66 wrote: »
    That's an insult and a half to Ys.

Conan-san on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    darren66 wrote: »
    That's an insult and a half to Ys.

I don't remember either Hydlide playing as good as Y's. It's just a nice Action RPG without an action button. Really, the combination of the fantastic music and onscreen action just come together really well.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this where I go to complain that we did not get Mario RPG?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited August 2008
    I have a feeling we'll probably get Mario RPG in the next few weeks -- perhaps as early as next Monday. I honestly don't feel any sort of attachment to the game myself (blasphemy, I know), but it came out just as I was at the start of my 6-year general disinterest in gaming.

SteevL on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

Aoi on
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II. Loved it as a kid, jRPG experience was only limited to dragon warrior and final fantasy - this was definitely a step up in every aspect.

At the time it had fantastic music, and great cinematics, both which have been surpassed years ago. The story has weakened over time too. Game play? You run into the baddies, a little of center to minimize damage to yourself. Oh and you had to be max level to beat the final baddie.

If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

fodderboy on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm really really curious. How many blocks does Ys take up on the Wii? And is it everything? Cinematics, voicework and all?

I think the cinematics are there, but I'm not positive... I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I'm only up to the shrine at this point.

It takes up somewhere around 270 blocks.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Re: discussion about SMRPG from the last thread. Yeah, my examples were pretty shittacular (so what else is new?), but it does seem like that there is always somebody who isn't happy about whatever gets released on VC, no matter what.

On a positive note, once I get paid, Sonic SMS and Ys will finally be mine. I've been looking forward to these, even if no one else has.

Norfair on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I think the cinematics are there, but I'm not positive... I haven't heard any voice work yet, but I'm only up to the shrine at this point.

Since all the CD quality music is still intact, I'd be surprised if the voice acting isn't in there. I didn't wait for the introduction narrator to start his spiel about "Ys....a utopia"but from what I remember, that was actually contained within the original game's CD track. I think you could actually put the game CD into a standard CD player and listen to all the voice acting.

SteevL on
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

Since all the CD quality music is still intact, I'd be surprised if the voice acting isn't in there. I didn't wait for the introduction narrator to start his spiel about "Ys....a utopia"but from what I remember, that was actually contained within the original game's CD track. I think you could actually put the game CD into a standard CD player and listen to all the voice acting.

The voice acting in the intro is still there, so I'd imagine it's there for the rest of the game.

I played it for about 10 minutes last night, died after being a little overzealous with killing creatures in the beginning, and went back to other VC games that I'm in the middle of playing. Looks like fun.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So wait.. you just run into people to kill them? How do the enemies of Ys pose any kind of threat when all you have to do is run into em?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited August 2008
    It's slightly more complicated than that. If they run into you, you'll get hurt. It's usually better to run into them from the side and not ram them into a wall too.

SteevL on
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

This is awesome.

So is SMRPG. Thanks once again PA - your fanaticism has served me well. Fools. Every day the awesome in my collection grows stronger.

And soon, it will consume you all.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Y's Book I & II.
    [snip]
    If anything it is way better then most of the crap TG CD-ROM games that came out (it pains me to say that).

There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's slightly more complicated than that. If they run into you, you'll get hurt. It's usually better to run into them from the side and not ram them into a wall too.

Right, if you run headlong into the enemies, they will do more damage. Coming at them from slightly above or below will reduce your damage, also. They don't just stand around and let you walk into them. They'll move quite a bit.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if that alien pinball remake is going to be any good. I like me some good pinball.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this the thread I go to to complain about unnecessary apostrophes?

Cos blargh people

Y's? Really? Are you suggesting that the title means Y its/his/hers?

Somestickguy on
    edited August 2008

Cos blargh people

Are you one of those people who joins discussion threads on news posts to correct grammer/spelling, as well? Really?

The game is fun as hell... it's not like gaming isn't full of completely made up words anyway.

Shadowfire on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Cos blargh people

Are you one of those people who joins discussion threads on news posts to correct grammer/spelling, as well? Really?

The game is fun as hell... it's not like gaming isn't full of completely made up words anyway.

Uh, my point was that's not the title and that people apparently adore sticking an apostrophe in any word that ends with an S.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

Somestickguy on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I haven't been keeping up with these threads, but why the flying fuck did they decide to release it in Europe but not America?

Godfather on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

I haven't been keeping up with these threads, but why the flying fuck did they decide to release it in Europe but not America?

Because something like that was long, long overdue.

Xagarath on
    edited August 2008
    Something else that's long overdue?

Majora's Mask.

Especially considering the fact that Nintendo has nothing lined up for the hardcore crowd.

Godfather on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Majora's Mask.

Especially considering the fact that Nintendo has nothing lined up for the hardcore crowd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=225555

Xagarath on
    edited August 2008
    This doesn't solve my Majora problem

Godfather on
    edited August 2008
    shutz wrote: »
    [snip]

There's one TG CD game I'd love to get, even though it's been released for the PSP (which I don't have): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

I had a chance to play it, and it's one of the few non-metroidvania Castlevanias that I really enjoyed (the two NES games are just way too frustrating... and Simon's Quest is a nonlinear metroidvania precursor)

Yeah, I've been clamoring for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood since the Virtual Console was announced. It might actually come out over here; it's been put out in Japan, I believe.

SteevL on
    edited August 2008
    [snip]

Yeah, I've been clamoring for Dracula X: Rondo of Blood since the Virtual Console was announced. It might actually come out over here; it's been put out in Japan, I believe.

Lords of Thunder and Ys are available, so I don't even really need a Turbo Duo anymore. I still -want- one, mind you, but I don't need it. ;-)

Shadowfire on
    edited August 2008
    So yea, apparently I don't remember this game that well.

FUCK THE GOD DAMN BAT BOSS IN HIS GOD DAMN FACE.

That is all. :|

Shadowfire on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maaan, I've had Super Metroid on my Wii since it came out, and I've played maybe an hour of it. I am a bad person. :(

Kris on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Maaan, I've had Super Metroid on my Wii since it came out, and I've played maybe an hour of it. I am a bad person. :(

Yes you are. Super Metroid is too good not to play.

I really wish Nintendo would realize how retarded region locking games is. Especially for digital downloads. Apparently they have a rule that WiiWare games has to be not only in English, but also in German and French. Honestly, fuck Germany and France. Those fuckers should just learn to use English like the rest of the world.

Peewi on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My major beef with the Shop channel is that it doesn't except a Maestro Card. That kinda annoys me.

Also, in other news, I bought Super Mario RPG last week and I've played it twice.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Rotam on
  • ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »

Yes you are. Super Metroid is too good not to play.

I really wish Nintendo would realize how retarded region locking games is. Especially for digital downloads. Apparently they have a rule that WiiWare games has to be not only in English, but also in German and French. Honestly, fuck Germany and France. Those fuckers should just learn to use English like the rest of the world.
    Or we could all just learn Japanese so that nothing would ever have to be localized ever again.

With Pokemon it's especially excuciating since it usually takes up to a fucking year and a half before it finally gets out of Nippon. Utterly ridiculous.

Arceus on
  • Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rotam wrote: »
    My major beef with the Shop channel is that it doesn't except a Maestro Card. That kinda annoys me.
    This. It's a real pain in the arse that I can only use my (Largely maxed out) credit card as apposed to my Maestro Bank card which I do 99.9% of my other online purchaces with.
    Peewi wrote: »
    I agree to a point. And it's going to get to a point where someone's going to create a PAL-ENG region and be done with it. I meen there's absolutly no reason why I can't have a UK version of FF4 DS now as apposed to buying a US import (Which, it has to be noted, will probably be cheaper @ £32 than the domestic price), none what so ever.

Majora's Mask.
    I would like to think that Nintendo R&D are working on geting the emulation on the 4mb expantion pak working properly before they bring out MM or any other of the 4mb pak's games. The Gamecube Disk version was a joke.

Conan-san on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gamecube version is fine. I never had any of those bugs, and the game looks amazing in 480p.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited August 2008
    Somehow, my Virtual Console thread got both the [BRACKETS] treatment and managed to keep "Virtual Console" in its own set of brackets. Odd.

edit: got rid of [BRACKETS] in the title

SteevL on
  • fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    [snip]

Castlevania i'd love to have the orginal. It never made it stateside.

Vasteel is one i really wanted, a pseudo sequel to military madness, but it had an action component similar to Archon.

Dungeon Explorer II: I think the orginal was great and had fantastic music, i'd love the super cd version.

Lords of Thunder: I just need to buy it.

But other then those, none of the CD games are: OMG GOT TO HAVE.

It really sucks that nintendo kinda screwed NEC with third parties and NEC picked some of the crappest games to import.....

On the original audio.

The TG CDs I think were Red Book audio compliant so the audio tracks would play in a standard CD player. The Working Design games had a one of there game characters give a warning about doing this as the first track - in case the player tried to playing the data.

fodderboy on