As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why are people down on hunting?

gisbornegisborne Registered User new member
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I don't hunt. I don't own a gun. I am mostly vegetarian. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

But if you eat factory farmed meat that comes from an animal that lives its life in torment (say, a chicken that doesn't have room to stand up or turn around for its entire life), why on earth would you object to killing and eating an animal that gets to spend its life in the wild and (presumably) reasonably happy.

If you eat the factory farmed meat, you're paying farmers to torment animals so you can enjoy cheap meat.

I absolutely don't get why you'd object to a wild animal getting eaten instead of one that suffers like that.

gisborne on

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    People have to kill the animal and prepare it themselves. It's pretty simple, really.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think most of the people really down on hunting are vegetarians/PETA-types. I don't think there are a lot of meateaters who care.

Thanatos on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My mom is against hunting for some reason, and doesn't even like eating animals that other people hunted when she had no part of the process. Personally I agree with the OP that hunting is the preferable method of getting meat from an animal rights perspective.

Cervetus on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I only object when people refer to it as a sport.

Hunting is not a sport. It's an activity. Like picking crops.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i believe the idea is that some people object to the idea of killing things for fun

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have no problem with hunting an animal that is not in any way endangered and that you are going to eat.

Hunting for sport on the other hand I don't really think is right though.

Afty on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not opposed to hunting on principle.

I'm only opposed to douchebags who shoot to wound and let it bleed out in agony, and/or use tricks to best a helpless animal so they can eat it. But that isn't due to hunting, that's due to them being dicks.

yalborap on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In regards to sports: Well, in some cases, it's important to cut down on overpopulation. Then again... People tend to eat deer too. So it pretty much falls back into the "Activity" category.

I personally hate PETA. Bunch of self-righteous eco-terrorists. Seriously, how can people take them seriously when they go around pulling the shit they do?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Afty wrote: »
    I have no problem with hunting an animal that is not in any way endangered and that you are going to eat.

Hunting for sport on the other hand I don't really think is right though.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree with the replies here - I think the OP is confused somewhat. I'm all for hunting for food - in fact, it really gets my back up that people often separate the idea of food and how the food got there.

I think people are less acdcepting of hunting for recreation - and this assumes that the animals are not utilised after their death.

EDIT: Where I come from - 'pest control' is also another accepted reason for hunting.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gisborne wrote: »
    I don't hunt. I don't own a gun. I am mostly vegetarian. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

But if you eat factory farmed meat that comes from an animal that lives its life in torment (say, a chicken that doesn't have room to stand up or turn around for its entire life), why on earth would you object to killing and eating an animal that gets to spend its life in the wild and (presumably) reasonably happy.

If you eat the factory farmed meat, you're paying farmers to torment animals so you can enjoy cheap meat.

I absolutely don't get why you'd object to a wild animal getting eaten instead of one that suffers like that.

Because, if all people that now eat cow would switch to wild grazers, we'd depopulate all forests within a week?

Just sayin...

L*2*G*X on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Why do people get up in arms about hunting that doesn't "utilize the body?" If the hunter leaves the body, the ecosystem will utilize it. It's not as if they create some voidspace within the woods where the corpse hits the ground. :P

Oboro on
    words
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Why do people get up in arms about hunting that doesn't "utilize the body?" If the hunter leaves the body, the ecosystem will utilize it. It's not as if they create some voidspace within the woods where the corpse hits the ground. :P

I think people are horrified by the notion of killing something for fun.

Of course, this leads to another moral conundrum - what about killing something because it tastes good? Meat isn't strictly necessary for nutrition; we eat meat for the pleasure of it. So is there really that much of a difference between killing for pleasure and killing for fun?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, and also, n.1 Answer for 'why do people' type questions? People are stupid.

I'm gonna write a book on that, soonish.

L*2*G*X on
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hunting is mostly boring and cold. Maybe that's why people oppose it.

Boutros on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't oppose hunting so much as when someone shoots a deer while it's not looking and then tells me that it's A) a sport or B) they are a huge bad-ass for killing it and they are awesome.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't even think there's anything particularly wrong with enjoying hunting. Taking the view that it's an activity - necessary for population control, pest control or just to eat - what's wrong with enjoying your work or taking pride in a job well done?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • LordbarzanLordbarzan Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    if u dont like the way animals are kept by farmers buy free range it means that the animals are looked after and have had a nice life where they have been able to roam about eating grass or whatever

but hunting is ok sometimes but when it is over done then it should be stopped

Lordbarzan on
    edited August 2008
    Lordbarzan wrote: »
    if u dont like the way animals are kept by farmers buy free range it means that the animals are looked after and have had a nice life where they have been able to roam about eating grass or whatever

Most hunted animals are going to be free range by default.

And I don't think hunting is ever 'over done' anywhere in the Western world any more (except in rare cases of poaching endangered bird eggs, which isn't really the same thing at all). Especially as most hunting takes place either in situations where it's required to control overpopulation (such as small woodlands that can't support larger populations of deer and so the gamekeepers monitor population culling by only allowing hunting in-season and having strict limits), pest control (such as on farms over run with rabbits where you really can never kill enough) or sport (where the gamekeepers will have a financial imperative to keep the land well-stocked with game so the hunters are happy and pay to come back again).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I don't oppose hunting so much as when someone shoots a deer while it's not looking and then tells me that it's A) a sport or B) they are a huge bad-ass for killing it and they are awesome.

It's always fun when they make it out to be some epic contest between man and wild. No, dumbass, you shot a herbivore that never saw you coming. Let's talk when you wrestle a bear, or when they genetically engineer a fox that can operate a rifle.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • LordbarzanLordbarzan Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Lordbarzan wrote: »

Most hunted animals are going to be free range by default.

And I don't think hunting is ever 'over done' anywhere in the Western world any more (except in rare cases of poaching endangered bird eggs, which isn't really the same thing at all). Especially as most hunting takes place either in situations where it's required to control overpopulation (such as small woodlands that can't support larger populations of deer and so the gamekeepers monitor population culling by only allowing hunting in-season and having strict limits), pest control (such as on farms over run with rabbits where you really can never kill enough) or sport (where the gamekeepers will have a financial imperative to keep the land well-stocked with game so the hunters are happy and pay to come back again).

By "over done" i ment like hunting whales and tigers and stuff, not deer or rabbits, hell even i have shot at them for eating up my garden

Lordbarzan on
    edited August 2008
    Well yeah, hunting endangered species is pretty bad. I think most people aren't for that.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not opposed to hunting for food or recreation. It takes all kinds, blah blah blah, you get the point.
    There's only two things I do object to: Canned hunts and hunting to near extinction (though that is much less common nowadays).

glithert on
  • NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Grislo wrote: »

It's always fun when they make it out to be some epic contest between man and wild. No, dumbass, you shot a herbivore that never saw you coming. Let's talk when you wrestle a bear, or when they genetically engineer a fox that can operate a rifle.

I never hunted but is not the part that "a herbivore that never saw you coming" a challenge in hunting ? Yeah sure some forms of it are bullcrap if that is made too easy but that goes for other sports like fishing. And if you are good at it sure you feel a huge badass, hell the same goes people who play chess/poker/whatever activity too. You do not have to wrestle a grizzly (read: commit suicide) just to feel legitimately awesome.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

If you can get within 100 yards of a deer that is looking at you, ill give you $50.

Just sayin.

Marathon on
    edited August 2008
    Marathon wrote: »

If you can get within 100 yards of a deer that is looking at you, ill give you $50.

Just sayin.

Hell, if you can spot a deer I'll give you a pat on the back. I went deer hunting one day and all we saw the whole day was a deer's ass.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Newres wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »

I never hunted but is not the part that "a herbivore that never saw you coming" a challenge in hunting ? Yeah sure some forms of it are bullcrap if that is made too easy but that goes for other sports like fishing. And if you are good at it sure you feel a huge badass, hell the same goes people who play chess/poker/whatever activity too. You do not have to wrestle a grizzly (read: commit suicide) just to feel legitimately awesome.

Yeah, it depends on how you hunt, etc. Part of it is that I'd personally prefer to get that high from, say, poker than having to kill something just for the sake of getting that high.

Which takes us back to the whole 'eating what you kill or not' thing.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I think most of the people really down on hunting are vegetarians/PETA-types. I don't think there are a lot of meateaters who care.

I don't know, I've run into a lot of meat-eaters that seem to get down on hunters. But it's usually more about the "killing for pleasure" or "it's not really a sport" reasons, as we've seen a little of here. I've run into quite a few people who seem to have the "how can you do it" attitude...it's like they can only deal with animal death if it's pre-packaged and bloodless.

But yeah, it's pretty hard to get down on hunting without being a huge hypocrite if you eat meat. Even assuming they don't provide the quickest and most painless death, the animal probably had a better quality of life for the entire time it was alive than the average steak you see at Wal-Mart.

mcdermott on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »

EDIT: Where I come from - 'pest control' is also another accepted reason for hunting.

images-2.jpg?

MichaelLC on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've yet to meet a hunter that "kills for sport". The ones I've met all take the carcass to a butcher and get it cut up, and they eat it or give the meat to family and friends.

I don't think over hunting is really a problem here in the USA. Strict regulations on hunting seasons and permits is part of it, but generally I think that education has gotten the idea of preservation into most hunters. Most people with any sense realize that if you hunt a species to extinction, there won't be anymore hunts.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd have to say that if shooting skeet is a sport, then shooting a deer would be considered at least as much of one. Probably a bit more since you have to actually go find the animal (except for canned hunts which are crap) and there are also about a dozen or so people a year killed by deer if I recall correctly.

So yeah, definitely a sport.

Quid on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My biggest problem with hunting (at least with deer) are trophy hunters whose prime concern are finding the deer with the biggest set of antlers. Even though most of them do take the meat, they are still causing problems within deer populations by killing off all the large, dominant males, leaving unbalanced populations and weaker gene pools.

Besides, have you ever tasted one of those big bucks? Their meat is terrible--all tough and grainy.

Kilroy on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Most people I know who hunt are part of this "cult of nature," where they tell me how beautiful the animal was and how in tune with nature they felt. If they can, they try and release the animal. If not, they have a tasty dinner and maybe some horns to hang on the wall.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Real men hunt with recurve bows.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I'd have to say that if shooting skeet is a sport, then shooting a deer would be considered at least as much of one. Probably a bit more since you have to actually go find the animal (except for canned hunts which are crap) and there are also about a dozen or so people a year killed by deer if I recall correctly.

So yeah, definitely a sport.

Not to mention that deer are far from helpless. I mean, the generally don't fight back, but they've spent the last few millennia running and hiding from large, clumsy predators like humans. Guns do provide a big advantage, but hitting a target running through the trees at 30 mph is no easy task

Kilroy on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Real men hunt with their cold, dead hands.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you really want to hunt you have to run them down like some Indians did, and when they tire and finally slow down so you can catch them, fuck them to death over the next few hours.

Then you're a real man.

Quid on
    edited August 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Real men hunt with their cold, dead hands.

I only said bow because of the possibility of needing something to help against bears. Otherwise, yes, hand hunting is what makes you a real man. Or at least good for catching fish in a stream.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    If you really want to hunt you have to run them down like some Indians did, and when they tire and finally slow down so you can catch them, fuck them to death over the next few hours.

Then you're a real man.

Awesome.

bowen on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like venison a lot. And Deer Jerky... oh god Deer Jerky. We had a bunch of gallon zip-lock bags full of deer jerky that we added some red pepper corn to. I wish we still had some of that.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)