Stop Animation Vs 3D

Mr ExplodyMr Explody Registered User
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
I've been thinking about the quality of the current stop animation videos going around at the moment, and wonder why people still use it. With 3D tools becoming increasingly powerful, I have to wonder why someone would spend the time to agonisingly shoot a stop animation film.

For Example: The software consultancy company I work for recently ran a competition for the staff members to create youtube videos about the company (Not really an advert, but most of the entrants missed the point). One of the entrants created a short Stop Animation film, which I found hilarious. However, when I asked the guy who made it why they chose to do Stop Animation instead of 3D, he stated that even though he could have got the film done in half the time if it were 3D, he just really liked the style. I disagree.

You can find the stop animation film here.

Personally, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference if it were 3D instead of stop animation.

I can understand why shows like Robot Chicken would do stop animation, as it's the point of the show to re-use action figures found in toy stores. But in my opinion there's no reason to go with stop animation anymore, unless it's the artist 'point' of the film.

I think I just find stop animation/claymation ugly... but maybe that's just me.

Mr Explody on

Posts

  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you are wrong, you can always spot CG work over stop motion or set work. CG always has a pastey look about it, no matter how advanced it has become.

    Mustang on
  • Mr ExplodyMr Explody Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Not necessarily. In the case of the video in the OP, all the peices are lego and there is simply a white background. I beleive that it would be very easy to CG that and make it look real.

    The biggest tell of stop animation is the disjointed effect, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

    Mr Explody on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    its not necessarily a Bad thing either:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBjLW5_dGAM

    I mean, there is mediocre animation in 2D, 3D and stop motion. But the medium itself isnt the issue, its just a tool after all. Are you really asking if all stop motion animators should do 3D instead? The awnser is no.

    Iruka on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is the first time i've ever heard anyone prefer 3D animation over stop motion. Did you never watch Wallice and Gromit as a kid?

    I think you're the odd man out on this one.

    Godfather on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    there's a ton of differences

    for one thing, rendered 3d animation can produce motion blur, which corrects for the jerkiness and "not quite right" motion effect that stop motion creates, unless it is done using incredibly sophisticated models like the tauntaun in Empire. However, most 3D models are limited to the motion granted to them in the rigging, which means that unless a modeller wants to spend their time planning and building a rig that allows them the freedom of movement of clay (next to impossible), the clay medium will provide much more freedom. If alternative mediums are used for stop-motion, such as legos or whatever else, then it's just a matter of building a well-made model that is rigged to move like it.

    Again, this comes down to planning, though. If you know what you want to animate, you can build a 3d model to move just as the scene demands, or you could build a clay model jsut as the scene demands, or a lego model or a painted cell or whatever. It really comes down to the talent, dedication and craftsmanship and cleverness by the animator themselves

    Rankenphile on
  • Mr ExplodyMr Explody Registered User
    edited August 2008
    Yeh, I did watch Wallace and Gromit, not so much as a kid though, but I still loved them.

    I suppose my point is more along the lines of, why would someone choose to develop a film using stop motion instead of CG. I can understand the 'artistic' choice of having a slightly disjointed look and feel (works well for films such as 'The Nightmare before Christmas'). It just seems that it would take that much longer to create a stop animation film, than a CG film, for very little benefit, if any.

    Mr Explody on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    there's plenty of benefit

    for one thing, you got real damn models to play with

    right there, in front of you, that you made with your hands

    that's a huge benefit. It's fun.

    and it lends itself to a certain look and feel without having to replicate that look and feel through a different medium

    and there's tradition and history behind it as well

    not that the lego version up there is a good example of history and tradition, but trying to duplicate that exact look and feel digitally would have been incredibly time consuming. It is very difficult to get digital art to not look digital.

    Rankenphile on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One of the main things i like about stop-motion is that it uses actual real light.
    Corpse Bride achieves a lot of effects that i simply haven't seen anywhere in 3D. Or the night scènes in Wallace and Grommit... Beautiful.
    And the way the light hits an actual piece of fabric. The fuzzyness of a vest, etc.

    3D may be awesome, and i love pixar, but stop motion is just different. difficult to compare.
    They're just different mediums, like aquarel and oil paintings. sure, 3D is more spectacular now to the general public, but to the craftsmen, there'll always be a difference.

    The_Glad_Hatter on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    there is this one video ive seen edit: 3D where a character runs up and kicks a football. it looks like claymation but is 3D. someone's rendered a 3D set and character to make it look like it was clay. which was really god damned cool. stopmo defenietly has it's own advantages. like people before me have said the set is right and characters and props are right there infront of you. it's more like a miniature film set. do you have any idea how long it is to create a set in 3D? things like budget would also come into consideration when dealing with either 3D or stop mo.

    if you think we should ditch stop mo. why wouldn't we ditch everyother animation technique? and then EVERYTHING could be 3D. animators and artists are after a certain style. with 3d you wouldn't need to worry about inbetweens anymore. but computers inbetween like shit. if all we did was 3D animation all we'd be production would be floaty, robotic shit like the dodo ads. we need to use the fundamental animation techniques to create interesting, snappy animation. it would be a sad world if we only had 3D animation.

    r-jasper on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heh dodo

    I personally like the style of stop motion. You are crazeh guy.

    3D can look good, but, stop motion just has that certain style 3D doesn't.

    mooshoepork on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr Explody wrote: »
    I've been thinking about the quality of the current stop animation videos going around at the moment, and wonder why people still use it. With 3D tools becoming increasingly powerful, I have to wonder why someone would spend the time to agonisingly shoot a stop animation film.

    I hear you, man. I don't even know why they hire real actors any more, or build sets. All that shit can be replaced by CG, right? No one can even tell the difference any more!
    Mr Explody wrote: »
    However, when I asked the guy who made it why they chose to do Stop Animation instead of 3D, he stated that even though he could have got the film done in half the time if it were 3D, he just really liked the style. I disagree.

    You disagree that he really like the style? Surely he knows what he likes?
    Mr Explody wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference if it were 3D instead of stop animation.
    Your eyes are broken.
    Mr Explody wrote: »
    But in my opinion there's no reason to go with stop animation anymore, unless it's the artist 'point' of the film.

    I think I just find stop animation/claymation ugly... but maybe that's just me.
    What does that even mean? You could say there's no reason to go with any kind of animation at all, "unless it's the artist 'point' of the film."

    I find movies like Sin City and 300 ugly, but many others love them. It's called personal taste.

    I also really like Flushed Away, so who knows...



    EDIT: dammit, mooshoepork just said pretty much the same thing, but with fewer words.

    Jandaru on
    0wCplxc
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I vote this thread be locked for it's sheer ignorance factor
    also the fact that the op has no original art in it.
    but mostly ignorance.

    beavotron on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    I vote this thread be locked for it's sheer ignorance factor
    also the fact that the op has no original art in it.
    but mostly ignorance.
    seconded

    r-jasper on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Questions like this belong in either the chat thread or in the Discussion thread. Either one will do nicely. I'm of the opinion that there are plenty of reasons to use stop motion over 3D. However, sometimes it may be more beneficial to use 3D. I know South Park stopped using stop motion and switched to Maya fairly early on. This results in them being able to be very current with their shows since it only takes week or so for them to create them.

    Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.