As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's drink to him once more. He was a good S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Not sure how I feel about that. Those parts of the game were hard for me to complete because of how creepy they were. However, STALKER wouldn't have been as good as it was without them.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a feeling I will enjoy the environments and atmosphere enough that I'll like the game, but it's not going to be a top 10 or anything. We'll see, still looking forward to it. And this gives me an excuse to replay SoC! :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    I'm hearing more reports how the creepy underground parts are just about gone in Clear Sky.
    Yeah? Well I saw a review where one stage has you tasked with helping a faction look into the mystery of scary motherfucking mutants who come out of holes in the ground. By which I mean they probably want you to go in and kill them.
    I may have to skip that mission. D:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    syrion wrote: »
    Sleeping bag mod won't work. D: What am I to do all night?
    Cry.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm hearing more reports how the creepy underground parts are just about gone in Clear Sky.
    Well, to be fair, how many secret black-ops underground facilities can you have in the zone? We already spelunked 'em in SOC, so recycling them for CS would be kinda' cheap and cheesy and break the whole motif of "what the fuck" that was going on in SOC. As long as they manage to give the surface stuff plenty of atmosphere (which it looks like they've done quite well) I'll be quite happy.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I heard from Russian players who had doggedly followed the development of Clear Sky are disappointed with numerous cuts that appear to have been made late-stage, potentially including several areas from ShoC and at the least the hospital and hospital lab from the previews.

This, however, is why I try not to keep my nose stuck in the middle of pre-release info. I like appreciating what's released for what it is. I can always still find out about the behind the scenes stuff later. Some of Spore's players are suffering from horrible pre-release overload disenchantment, for example, which could have instead been enjoyment followed by fascination had they played the game before drinking so deeply of its development history.

Modders I hung around with for a while already confirmed all the major data structures appear to be intact so mods should be able to restore all cut ShoC again, eventually. Currently uncertain about cut CS content.

One change is the random to-hit-chance is now per-weapon (part of the accurracy settings) and stored in each weapon's settings file. It's no longer tied to difficulty.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Does the enemy type at least have an influence on accuracy? It'd be kind of silly if some newbie picked up a Vintorez and suddenly became death incarnate.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, how many secret black-ops underground facilities can you have in the zone?
    Are you asking about in my fantasy world, or in reasonable world? Because one million seems like a good number to me.

Lab X532681 -- fucking scary.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think it's a good confidence builder for GSC to get this game out in a timely manner, even if content was cut yet again. They did the neverending development cycle, and then the quick one, and maybe the next game will be just right in terms of content plans (or preview reveals, at least!)

Maybe they will decide to seriously kick ass and release enhanced editions for the two games or something. Go Eastern Europeans, go!

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Does the enemy type at least have an influence on accuracy? It'd be kind of silly if some newbie picked up a Vintorez and suddenly became death incarnate.
    I can't say for certain but I recall there were additional modifiers. There should be one based on the experience level (rookie, veteran, etc) but that's not a confirmation, just vague recollection + educated guess at the moment. I can ask later, or you can look up Stalker modding on the official GSC forums and ask yourself.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And who the hell knows, maybe they'll wind up opening that shit up again in a patch or something or left it stupidly easy for the modders to do so themselves.

Speakin' of which, I wonder how long it'll be before we get the Oblivion Lost of Clear Skies in a playable state?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And who the hell knows, maybe they'll wind up opening that shit up again in a patch or something or left it stupidly easy for the modders to do so themselves.

Speakin' of which, I wonder how long it'll be before we get the Oblivion Lost of Clear Skies in a playable state?
    Based on what was said upon first look, it's really really close to ShOC, but there are little changes that will have to be accounted for. Some things will have to be taken out or redone (AI grenade throwing, periodic blowouts, AI healing), since they're now part of the default game.

Real funny info: GSC hired the main modder behind the AMK Mod, so AMK's restored sun/moon, random blowouts, and other systems are part of Clear Sky, literally. This parallels the situation where Bethesda hired the modder who did Morrowind Combat Enhanced to create the combat interface for Oblivion.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »

Based on what was said upon first look, it's really really close to ShOC, but there are little changes that will have to be accounted for. Some things will have to be taken out or redone (AI grenade throwing, periodic blowouts, AI healing), since they're now part of the default game.

Real funny info: GSC hired the main modder behind the AMK Mod, so AMK's restored sun/moon, random blowouts, and other systems are part of Clear Sky, literally. This parallels the situation where Bethesda hired the modder who did Morrowind Combat Enhanced to create the combat interface for Oblivion.

Hell, if you look at the feature list for Clear Sky compared to Oblivion Lost they look very much the same.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is the game world in Clear Sky more open than the first game? That was one of the things that bugged me initially about STALKER. The original game design was one big open map, akin to the Elder Scrolls. I didn't even know they changed that until I actually played the game! I don't recall them mentioning that change to levels. It's not that the areas we got were all that small, but I'm hoping they're bigger and much more open for Clear Sky.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I think most of what Clear Sky is for us are new areas and a fully supported faction mode.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why can't Bes live through the night? Why must he stand there like a moron until some random bandits come and murder everyone in the camp?

syrion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hey Stolls, this might be worth a mention in the OP. The guy that gave the 68% PCG UK review (and said there was less atmosphere/scares in CS and the faction war was kind of goofy), Jim Rossignol, has done a few good features about the original.

Eurogamer review: basically says the exact thing we tell newbies -- shaky mechanics with awesome atmosphere. Good summary for new folks.

The game in relation to real-life Ukranian history: this along with the PCG UK three part feature and RPS interview has some nice background details about the inspiration for the game, from the Russian film and sci-fi novel we all know, to the historical context and Ukranian culture. Neat read for those that aren't aware of this. Good for new players and old.

Mini LP: just a nice story of how he continues to enjoy the game after completing it twice. Also mentions some of the game's faults, and hope for Clear Sky that is kind of sad (at least now that I know he's a little disappointed in it). It's a retrospective for experienced players.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why can't Bes live through the night? Why must he stand there like a moron until some random bandits come and murder everyone in the camp?

This way we can steal his sweet gun though.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I already stole his sweet gun! Six times! From the army dudes I slaughtered in cold blood!

syrion on
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Going back to the whole underground labs, it sort of makes how they are cut out seeing as since CS is the prequel, maybe what Mercenary Scar does throughout CS leads to the labs.

It makes more sense to me. :(

pleh on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    pleh wrote: »
    Going back to the whole underground labs, it sort of makes how they are cut out seeing as since CS is the prequel, maybe what Mercenary Scar does throughout CS leads to the labs.

It makes more sense to me. :(
    GOOD I DONT WANT TO GO DOWN THERE ANYMORE!! :cry:

Seriously fuck those underground places D:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been putting off going into Lab X16 for like three weeks now.

Fuck you dark hole of nightmares and torment.

Loathing on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder how many people actually physically gave up the game and never played it at that point. That place is pretty fucking horrible.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I already stole his sweet gun! Six times! From the army dudes I slaughtered in cold blood!

His has an integrated silencer, its pretty cool.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder how many people actually physically gave up the game and never played it at that point. That place is pretty fucking horrible.

I got so tense in those areas. My whole day was "brighter" because I was running on fear mode. I don't overly enjoy it, but they are some of the brighter memories of the game.

I realllllly wouldn't mind if it wasn't there though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just got through X16 and topped it off with that damn Bloodsucker Lair mission.

Bulldog 6 + spamming grenades at fucking bloodsuckers = win.

Loathing on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who wants to gift me Clear Sky on Steam?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoever it is, I'm sure they wouldn't mind gifting me it either.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey Stolls, this might be worth a mention in the OP. The guy that gave the 68% PCG UK review (and said there was less atmosphere/scares in CS and the faction war was kind of goofy), Jim Rossignol, has done a few good features about the original.

Eurogamer review: basically says the exact thing we tell newbies -- shaky mechanics with awesome atmosphere. Good summary for new folks.

The game in relation to real-life Ukranian history: this along with the PCG UK three part feature and RPS interview has some nice background details about the inspiration for the game, from the Russian film and sci-fi novel we all know, to the historical context and Ukranian culture. Neat read for those that aren't aware of this. Good for new players and old.

Mini LP: just a nice story of how he continues to enjoy the game after completing it twice. Also mentions some of the game's faults, and hope for Clear Sky that is kind of sad (at least now that I know he's a little disappointed in it). It's a retrospective for experienced players.

Good catches. Thanks man, I'll update the OP :^:

Sorry I've been kind of missing in action lately; had some recurring computer troubles and health issues which I've only just recently taken care of. Everything's cool over here now, and I'm going to get back to updating the SMC.

syrion - As for the sleeping bag mod, do you mean with the SMC? I don't recall there being any conflicts; did it just crash on startup, or did the item not show up in your inventory/didn't work when used? I'll check it out again to be sure, maybe I missed something.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Stolls wrote: »

Good catches. Thanks man, I'll update the OP :^:

Sorry I've been kind of missing in action lately; had some recurring computer troubles and health issues which I've only just recently taken care of. Everything's cool over here now, and I'm going to get back to updating the SMC.

syrion - As for the sleeping bag mod, do you mean with the SMC? I don't recall there being any conflicts; did it just crash on startup, or did the item not show up in your inventory/didn't work when used? I'll check it out again to be sure, maybe I missed something.

When I put it in with the instructions in the mod folder, it won't load my save.

syrion on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. That may be something I can't do anything about, since it's adding a scripted item to your inventory; you may need to start from scratch. I'll mess with it and see what I can do, though.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone else think the oblivion lost dwarves are kind of stupid?

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow.

I was walking back to the Bar from the army warehouses. Just before I reached the transition between levels I got blocked by a massive horde of zombies, stretching to the horizon. At least 20 directly in my way. Took three grenades and a shotgun to get around them so I could run past. And they never stopped spawning.

This makes me love OL even more.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Stupid and scary as fuck when you're in X18 (?) and one just fucking flies at you out of nowhere. At least they didn't just attack me, but pretty much everything around them including other enemies.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Loathing wrote: »

Stupid and scary as fuck when you're in X18 (?) and one just fucking flies at you out of nowhere. At least they didn't just attack me, but pretty much everything around them including other enemies.

Weird... I didnt find them scary, sortov cheezy and detracted from the atmostphere I felt.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

x16 is goddamn scary and awesome

Sueve on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Clear Sky out?

Is it going to be at least as good as the first one? Knowing that it's supposed to be more optimized than the first, I'm kind of excited for it, but at the same time if the story or atmosphere are lacking compared to the previous, then I'd probably rather play the original.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's out in Russia/former Soviet Bloc. North American, European, and World-Wide releases to follow.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I've been hearing some rumours that the version that's been released over there is Starforced...any truth to that?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Starforce for the Russian version, SecuROM for the rest I believe.

Tim James on
    sig.gif