As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnt rubber from computer?

KorKor Known to detonate from time to timeRegistered User regular
So my computer seems to be releasing a smell of burnt rubber. I'm not entirely sure where its from, but I'm leaning towards the power supply. I've taken it apart and can-of-air'd it, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like its burning. Similarly, I took off the CPU's heatsink and got all the dust out of it.

I just can't figure it out, it only smells like burnt rubber after its been on for a little over a minute, and the longer it goes, the more potent it gets. To the point that it spreads thru the whole house.

Any suggestions?

I'm typing this on my wife's computer

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
Kor on

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A common cause for this could be burned insulation inside the power supply. The exhaust fan would be enough to probably carry it pretty far.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    So my computer seems to be releasing a smell of burnt rubber. I'm not entirely sure where its from, but I'm leaning towards the power supply. I've taken it apart and can-of-air'd it, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like its burning. Similarly, I took off the CPU's heatsink and got all the dust out of it.

I just can't figure it out, it only smells like burnt rubber after its been on for a little over a minute, and the longer it goes, the more potent it gets. To the point that it spreads thru the whole house.

Any suggestions?

I'm typing this on my wife's computer

It's most likely the PSU. Second, you realize that once you take a heatsink off you need to clean it and the CPU, and then re-apply thermal grease, right? Once you take a heatsink off airbubbles form, and when heated, can have disastrous results on your CPU.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes i recommend putting the thermal grease back on your CPU before you do more damage!
    How can the PSU be burning out? Unless their is a loose wire?

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The CPU is safe, I've done this a fair amount of times.

I'll admit I'm like 100% certain its the power supply, but man I'd love to know what could cause the power supply to smell like that.

What insulation is in there? Because I'm not seeing much other than wires, capacitors, and maybe a heatsink.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had the same problem. Unfortunately I thought it was from the road works outside my window and ignored it, until a few days later when my computer abruptly shut off and I noticed tendrils of smoke coming out of the back.

And yes, the power supply was indeed the culprit. Fortunately, none of the other components were harmed.

PaPa on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    The CPU is safe, I've done this a fair amount of times.

I'll admit I'm like 100% certain its the power supply, but man I'd love to know what could cause the power supply to smell like that.

What insulation is in there? Because I'm not seeing much other than wires, capacitors, and maybe a heatsink.

Insulation on the wires. The rubber/plastic coating on the outside of them could be burning because of a short or something.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't a popped capacitor also smell similar?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, but to be completely technical, inside of an electrolytic capacitor is a thin dielectric coating that works as an insulator to the capacitor itself. It gives off a very distinct "burnt electric component" smell that you would probably easily distinguish from burned rubber.

It's very possible that a capacitor inside of the power supply popped. I don't recommend getting a huge whiff of it though, because it is quite toxic. There probably isn't enough material to burn off to make you sick, unless you shove one up your nose or close to it, but it's better to err on safety there.

It sounds like you've already taken apart the power supply, so you could do a visible check on it around the capacitors to see if any are busted.

Here's a good image of what to look for: http://www.jebswebsite.com/misc_pics/ibm_mobo_capacitors.jpg

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dont take apart your PSU unless you know what you are doing.

its almost certainly the PSU so just replace it, they are almost impossible to get repaired anyway.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    dont take apart your PSU unless you know what you are doing.

its almost certainly the PSU so just replace it, they are almost impossible to get repaired anyway.

Yeah PSU's are cheap enough too.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs