As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LET'S PLAY] I Wanna Be The Guy! BONUS SUMMARY VIDEO! (NSF56K)

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New video is up. I apologize in advance for the break in continuity, as well as my sedated manner towards the end (I'm on Benadryl). No boss tonight, I'll upload that part soon. I actually encountered a major glitch at that point, which is unfortunate for people who want to see all of what Kraidgief has to offer. Fortunately for them, however, there are already about a gazillion Let's Play's of IWBTG online and they can check it out there.

joshofalltrades on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't been watching the LPs simply so I can see everything for myself for the first time. This finally paid off when I got past the spiky hell just past Mecha Birdo. I turn the fan off and go to jump over it when all of a sudden
    SHORYUKEN!

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Great LP. Oh, and, gratz on the baby. Or something.

maraxus94 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maraxus -- Thanks. Or something. :P

joshofalltrades on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Needs more brackets.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited August 2008
    I'll get right on that.

Meanwhile, I'm publishing Part 4B right now. It'll be uploaded to YouTube soon. This particular video contains the single most frustrating death I have experienced in this game... ever. You'll know the one I'm talking about.

joshofalltrades on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd never heard of this game before your thread. Keep up the videos, very entertaining!

This reminds me of that insanely difficult mario remake where the guy is just swearing every time he dies.

Pemulis on
    edited August 2008
    Now serving Part 4B.

Editing these videos is the most time-consuming part. There are many deaths/mistakes that you aren't seeing because they just aren't funny or interesting. Then I have to edit out the screams of the innocents that I am murdering during especially frustrating portions.

joshofalltrades on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't been watching the LPs simply so I can see everything for myself for the first time. This finally paid off when I got past the spiky hell just past Mecha Birdo. I turn the fan off and go to jump over it when all of a sudden
    TATSUMAKI SENPUUKYAKU!
    Fixed.

forty on
    edited August 2008
    Although
    HADOUKEN!

does appear later on, you won't see it because Kraidgief glitched before he could do it.

joshofalltrades on
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like your tags on 4B.

Pemulis on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "That's the way it's done... NOOO!"

august on
    edited August 2008
    I had briefly considered putting this image in directly afterwards:
    DONOTWANT_Vader.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it bad that I laughed when that happened? Really hard?
    Also, man, I would've broken my screen with the power of pure rage if that had happened to me.

Rent on
    edited August 2008
    Actually, it makes me really happy that you did, especially just after reading this.

I'd like to remind you that nowhere in this thread does it say "Contact a Moderator for permission to make a Let's Play thread!"

Do you want to make one? If so, ask yourself, can I make it actually funny? Evidence submitted to this forum strongly suggests that no, you can't.

But if you want to brave the odds, take the bull by the horns, and drive forward into the garden of madness, be my guest.

joshofalltrades on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your videos make me laugh. Keep up the good work. :p

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously, I have never laughed this hard at a let's play before. I really have to admire this game, every single detail of it says, "Fuck you." And it does so completely without shame. Its beautiful and terrible at the same time.

What is the song playing at the end of 4b? I know the one before that is from Kirby.

EDIT: I just found it, it's from Mega Man 2. I knew I'd heard it before.

bamjo on
    edited August 2008
    There's quite a few Mega Man 2 references spread liberally throughout this game. I'm about to come up on one pretty shortly -- the crazy insane version of the disappearing/reappearing blocks. Also, the Dragon Devil boss is from Mega Man 2, if I remember correctly.

joshofalltrades on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I started playing this, and Mike Tyson can go fuck himself.

Craigopogo on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This let's play rivals the one Gilder did for the Lost Levels in terms of cringe worthiness. Really good stuff, and funny too. I'm glad I'm not the one playing.

Food on
    edited August 2008
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    So I started playing this, and Mike Tyson can go fuck himself.

Need any hints, or are you just finding it really hard?

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, but I just need to work on timing my jumps after knocking him down twice. This game is like... really hard or something.

Craigopogo on
  • NionNion Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    About the wall-jumping thingies: You don't actually have to press the direction and jump at the same time. It's much easier to just keep the jump button pressed the entire time you're wall-jumping.

Also, I've gotten to the dragon in my medium playthrough, and I've just beaten Dracula in hard. :)

Nion on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In a bout of insanity, I decided to do my first playthrough of this game on hard. After some 500+ recorded deaths (although I'm sure I'd actually be much closer to two thousand if it recorded EVERY death and not just dying between saves), I'm only just at the part right before Dracula.

Yeah, this game takes the concept of "Nintendo hard", kicks it in the balls, drills out its teeth, and rapes its dog. I was not prepared.

Despite the difficulty, I think one of the only actual game flaws (besides the crashing) is the start-up time for each boss fight. The Mike Tyson fight takes something like a minute to start and you can't skip straight to the fight. When you die something like 30-40 times figuring out that fight, that means you spend 30-40 minutes just watching the fight intro and that's just a pain.

joshofalltrades, THANK YOU for this Let's Play. On my own, this game would just be self-inflicted cruelty which would haunt me forever. Watching somebody get repeatedly trashed who's already beaten the game before allows me to get a good laugh at the ultra-hard spots that just pissed me off before. Of course, it also chills my blood to see some of what awaits me.

I do have a question, though (not just for josh, but for anybody who can answer it). You know that very last part of the
    Ghouls 'n Goblins-esque region where the moon falls and drops you down to Birdo? Well, I've managed to jump past that part (i.e., the moon falls, but I jump quick enough and high enough to get another screen over to the right). The next screen requires some nightmarish jumping, but it looks like if you complete it that you can get to a floating item that looks like (possibly) a different gun. Is it actually a secret weapon or just a cruel, cruel joke that murders you if you touch it?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2008
    I do have a question, though (not just for josh, but for anybody who can answer it). You know that very last part of the
    Ghouls 'n Goblins-esque region where the moon falls and drops you down to Birdo? Well, I've managed to jump past that part (i.e., the moon falls, but I jump quick enough and high enough to get another screen over to the right). The next screen requires some nightmarish jumping, but it looks like if you complete it that you can get to a floating item that looks like (possibly) a different gun. Is it actually a secret weapon or just a cruel, cruel joke that murders you if you touch it?

It's a secret item thingy. AFAIK, it does nothing. It'll just be sitting on display in the room of divine teleportation, along with any others you find. 6 in total, I've heard, though I've only found 2.

Nion on
    edited August 2008
    Nion wrote: »
    Also, I've gotten to the dragon in my medium playthrough, and I've just beaten Dracula in hard. :)

Correction, I've just beaten the dragon, and I've gotten past the labyrinth. :)

Nion on
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Despite the difficulty, I think one of the only actual game flaws (besides the crashing) is the start-up time for each boss fight. The Mike Tyson fight takes something like a minute to start and you can't skip straight to the fight. When you die something like 30-40 times figuring out that fight, that means you spend 30-40 minutes just watching the fight intro and that's just a pain.

You can skip the intro's by pressing s, or at least some of them.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
    edited August 2008
    joshofalltrades, THANK YOU for this Let's Play. On my own, this game would just be self-inflicted cruelty which would haunt me forever. Watching somebody get repeatedly trashed who's already beaten the game before allows me to get a good laugh at the ultra-hard spots that just pissed me off before. Of course, it also chills my blood to see some of what awaits me.

You're quite welcome. I figure comedy is always better when it involves self-inflicted torture, and this game is the most fun torture I know of.

Also, it has been mentioned previously, but S does skip cutscenes. The Tyson thing frustrated me too until I figured that out. I use Xpadder to map S to my Back button on the 360 controller. Works like a charm.
    Nion wrote: »
    About the wall-jumping thingies: You don't actually have to press the direction and jump at the same time. It's much easier to just keep the jump button pressed the entire time you're wall-jumping.

I'll give that a shot.

Congratulations! This game is really hard, even on Medium. Most people don't have the patience past the first few screens.

joshofalltrades on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll give that a shot.

Congratulations! This game is really hard, even on Medium. Most people don't have the patience past the first few screens.
    Becoming The Guy is a right of passage not a guaranteed thing. You have to earn the title of The Guy!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited August 2008
    Some are more "The Guy" than others. Many people are more "The Guy" than I am.

And, you know, I'm fine with that, because, you know, I can say I've slept with girls.

joshofalltrades on
  • NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

And, you know, I'm fine with that, because, you know, I can say I've slept with girls.

Pedo!

I might give this game a try.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I bet if you beat it on the ultimate difficulty then women just rain down on you from the sky.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, I told you this would work out. Or maybe I didn't I forget.

As a sidenote, the glitch in the Kraidgief fight is intentional, it's meant to mimic the same unintentional glitch in the original Super Metroid Kraid fight, where if you damage him enough when he's still in the ground he'll just die and not come out.

Schide on
    edited August 2008
    I bet if you beat it on the ultimate difficulty then women just rain down on you from the sky.

That sounds painful. Wonderfully painful.

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2008
    Tyson is driving me insane. I can knock him down twice, then dodge the first punch of the third round, but no matter what i do he nails me with the second. I want to choke someone!

Craigopogo on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    Tyson is driving me insane. I can knock him down twice, then dodge the first punch of the third round, but no matter what i do he nails me with the second. I want to choke someone!

It sounds like you're trying to change sides after the first punch? You don't have to do that.

Smasher on
    edited August 2008
    You guys are really on top of all these hints. I keep checking in to see if people need help but you've got it all covered.

joshofalltrades on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You guys are really on top of all these hints. I keep checking in to see if people need help but you've got it all covered.

Shutup and make the next video, that megaman music is a fav. :p

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anybody have a link to the famous SA let's play of this?

FanciestWalnut on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anybody have a link to the famous SA let's play of this?

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/IWBTG/

This is famous? Honestly it's not that great or particularly funny. Shows off the game pretty well, but the guy recorded post commentary so it doesn't have the frustration to it that others might have and he's really not funny enough to carry it on his own. The guests don't add a whole lot either, but they help.

Schide on