As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm a [chat] playing a [chat] disguised as another [chat].

1373839404143»

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I kind of want an Achewood sig so people will like me.

I was going to make a Sakura sig last night. I still kind of want to do that too. Oh man.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I have a new hobby

Fencingsax on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh hay Senjutsu explain about Church in more detail please.

Duki on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Than, you are not allowed to click on the spoiler. Go away. Leave.
    gimsuccesscs6.png

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Is that another near-loss, in, like, 700 seconds?

You are mean.

Gim on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I really have to stop running in motorcycle boots.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like you killed your baby Oboro.
    S'alright, I enjoyed myself. Even if the theme of responses was "ugh you're so mannish and your nose is hideous" (which it wasn't, honestly), I feel much more validated having made the thread than before I made the thread. This has been a good night. \o/

Oboro on
    words
    edited August 2008
    My roommates get stoned and make tons of food. It is the best of times and it is the worst of times.

There is now a delicious batch of brownies in the kitchen but also two zombified stoned kids. I guess it's a win/win for me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gimsuccesscs6.png

You are mean.
    Hi, I'm Thanatos, we must not have met before.

Thanatos on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I put a bunch of chemicals in a round bottom flasked and left them stirring. Now I'm bored.

electricitylikesme on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I was going to make a Sakura sig last night. I still kind of want to do that too. Oh man.

First off, you guys are such complete fools. CCS is clearly the definitive Sakura.

Second, I would hate you for associating yourself with Achewood. Enough hatred to compensate for anyone who likes you for it.

---

Also, also, it's impossible to hate Karby.

Frosteey on
    edited August 2008
    So one of my family members just received some chain e-mail saying that tomorrow cell phone numbers are going to be released to telemarketing organizations and that when they call me it will show up as a charge on my bill, so I should run and put my number on the National Do Not Call Registry.

Some of this sounds like malarkey to me. I need links to defeat the sensationalist e-mails.

Gim on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So one of my family members just received some chain e-mail saying that tomorrow cell phone numbers are going to be released to telemarketing organizations and that when they call me it will show up as a charge on my bill, so I should run and put my number on the National Do Not Call Registry.

Some of this sounds like malarkey to me. I need links to defeat the sensationalist e-mails.

This has been happening about once every other month... People always call me and tell me about it... I hate them.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

There is no possible way this could be a remotely legal thing to do in the first place.

electricitylikesme on
    edited August 2008
    gimsuccesscs6.png

You are mean.

Hi Thanatos. Where is your weak spot? I wish to attack it for massive damage.

Gim on
    edited August 2008
    I have sigspace, and also an avatar. I really wish Tube had done the coin flip for my name change. I wouldn't mind reinventing my forum identity entirely.

Oboro on
    words
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gimsuccesscs6.png

You are mean.

He's not really a giant crab

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2008
    Ah, here we go. Found the correct Snopes article.

Gim on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit, you guys. 1709.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »

First off, you guys are such complete fools. CCS is clearly the definitive Sakura.

Second, I would hate you for associating yourself with Achewood. Enough hatred to compensate for anyone who likes you for it.

---

Also, also, it's impossible to hate Karby.

Say it to her face Frosteey. She will beat you so good.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    gimsuccesscs6.png

You are mean.

My weak spot is free booze.

Thanatos on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So is anyone going to post?

Kilroy on
    edited August 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Wait, Evander was a mod?
    A long time ago in a galaxy far away...

When poor mod choices ran the universe?

You have no idea.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Wait, Evander was a mod?
    You have no idea.
    Seriously. He was almost as bad as DrDizaster.

Redx was awesome, though. I wish he would post more.

Thanatos on
    edited August 2008
    I don't want a new [chat] thread. I wanted to go to sleep posting in the same one I'd woke posting in.

Oboro on
    words
    edited August 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    So is anyone going to post?

beep boop

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2008
    People over the age of 35 should not be allowed to forward e-mail to one another.

Gim on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I don't want a new [chat] thread. I wanted to go to sleep posting in the same one I'd woke posting in.

Go to sleep immediately, then.

Organichu on
    edited August 2008
    Got it?

Thanatos on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Than is babies!

Kilroy on
    edited August 2008
    Kilroy, take it.

Thanatos on
    edited August 2008
    It doesn't work that way Than :(

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    It doesn't work that way Than :(
    I'm a goddamn moderator. It works whatever goddamn way I say it does.

Thanatos on
    edited August 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Wait, Evander was a mod?
    You have no idea.
    Seriously. He was almost as bad as DrDizaster.

Redx was awesome, though. I wish he would post more.

You should search the mod archives for the rules he proposed for D&D, but got shot down.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2008
    20030212h.gif
    Tycho wrote:
    Gabriel, as a rule, is not in the business of liking things. I suppose it was only a matter of time from his initial, uncharacteristic fascination to the unceremonious sloughing off, but this is not an activity without historical synonym. In case you are wondering, yes. For breakfast, I just tear pages out of the Thesaurus and eat them.

I linked over to Safety Monkey's assessment of MoO3 yesterday because it said absolutely everything there is to know, and then a substantial portion that is not relevant to the simulation of galactic empires as such. Then, as happens virtually every time I link there, his server was annihilated - and now, not only is there nothing to see over there, I didn't write anything here because there was no reason to. I should probably touch on the subject.

MoO3 is awesome. Now, the qualifications.

I have about fifteen hours under my belt, and I'll be direct with you and say that for the first few hours I thought the game would drive me mad. People who have kept their Strategy Cortex well maintained on other massive management games might have an easier time with it, but this is not a "game" in the classic sense so much as it is an "application." It is an interface designed to ease the management of a star empire. Once you learn that, the rest is easy.

Part of what makes the initial hours so overwhelming is that the "tutorial" such as it is isn't all that great. It consists of a verbose series of tooltips that are activated when you see a screen for the first time, and that block of text alongside this dense, intricate screen you've never seen before is like a one-two punch. I took those off almost immediately. Something else I did was grab the Prima Strategy Guide, something I don't do, but after the first time I played it I sat down with the guide and answered all of my questions before I went back in. That is correct, I actively studied it like one would a textbook.

Here's the thing, and I think this is important. I'm telling you that it's complex because I remember it being complex. Now, when I look back, I try to figure out what I thought was so weird about it. All the data is up front where you can see it, there's a handy encyclopedia built in, I honestly don't know how else they could have done the game proper. The issue is that there is so Goddamn much information that you need to acclimate yourself to it. What's more, though you could run your entire empire manually, even down to zoning individual regions of individual worlds for commerce, agriculture and the like, you certainly don't have to. Though there is a lot to do, literally anyone could play it if they wanted to, because of the Viceroy. Every world has certain aptitudes, and there is a virtual man on each planet that will handle all of the development, thank you very much. If you want him to handle it, but you still want a say, you can - no shit - set policies that guide the Viceroys. God, I love the word Viceroy. You can say, "I want my core worlds to focus on mining, research and agriculture in that order, I want the worlds on my borders to focus on defense and mining." You never need to think about it again, if you don't want to.

I think Quicksilver has balls. Balls, balls, and more balls. Balls of varying sizes, a collection of balls throughout the ages that look nice on the mantelpiece. This is the sort of game that gave the PC its reputation for depth of strategy. My secret fear is that the wide cross section of humans no longer desire a game like this, but I hope that retail is good to Master of Orion 3.

Visually, we are talking about some four-eighty-six type shit. Obviously that doesn't make it bad, but listen to me here. It is like a test from some wily and unpredictable gaming God, to see if you really mean it when you say that gameplay is all you care about.

I keep trying to get my mitts on that Goddamn 3DMark 03, to no avail. Though it is supposedly some kind of benchmarking utility, I've only ever used it for that purpose on the rarest of occasions, when my hardware geek nature takes the fore. The rest of the time, the 3DMark app is like a wonderful fantasyland projecting where in-game graphics may someday frolic. I understand that the team behind 3DMark is largely comprised of people from the "demo scene," which is obvious once you've seen it. In the C64 era, the demo introductions on pirated software were often more amusing, to say nothing for better produced, than the games elsewhere on the floppy.

(CW)TB out.

sequestering the blueprints of daily life
    Gabe wrote:
    Been playing a bit of CVS 2 today... I really don't know what to make of it. The online component of the game was obviously what I was most excited about. The first thing I noticed when I went to the network option was that it has got to have the worst menu ever. I swear it looks like you accidentally accessed the bios or something. The whole matchmaking process looks like absolute crap. This seems to be a common problem with the Live games I have played. Are developers just not spending any time on this section? Once you actually get into a game there is the issue of lag. And oh boy is there ever lag. Every game I played suffered from some degree of it and a few were so bad that the game was totally unplayable. At first I thought maybe it was because I was playing people on the other side of the country but then I played with a buddy who was local and it was like a fucking slide show.

Then there is the problem of the controller. It blows. You really do need a fighting stick if you want to invest some serious time in this game.

My problem is that I really love the game. Sure it's old and it looks like shit but Goddamnit I love it. But the combination of terrible matchmaking, unexplainable Lag and shitty controller has actually got me thinking about returning it tomorrow. Hmmmm.

Has anyone had any experience with these X-Arcade sticks? Or the MAS sticks? I'm wondering if a nice fighting stick might help. It won't solve the lag issues but maybe that will work itself out. I don't know, I want to like it I really do.

Why is this so hard.This seemed like a sure thing.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.