As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of The Week 08-27-08

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MotW is probably Avengers Initiative, but there was an awesome moment in Ultimate X-Men that was pretty much a cheap shot at Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine that actually made me laugh out loud

Man that Ultimate X-Men gag was hilarious.
    The setting itself was funny. Wolverine and Colossus are lying in beds next to one another in the X-Men's infirmary after Wolverine just ripped out Colossus' heart and Colossus has just torn off Wolverine's leg bragging about who kicked who's ass (Colossus was on a drug that made him go nuts but now he's better so they're all chummy). Wolverine says, "The Hulk once ripped me in half. You should've seen what happened next - it was epic."

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah. Wolverine was awesome again. Question though, how is it possible for the Spider-Chick to be Hawkeye's daughter and Peter Parker's grand-daughter?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hawkeye boned Peter Parker's daughter

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    But...he...she....jesus, I don't know.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Did no-one read Superman Beyond? You'd think Superman teaming up with Overman and Doctor Manhattan on a Carrier - in glorious 3-D, no less - would merit a bit more discussion.

I thought that SB! had the emotions and the storytelling beats that some folks have been missing in Final Crisis. It was fast paced, but no more (I thought) than the average JLA.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MotW is probably Avengers Initiative, but there was an awesome moment in Ultimate X-Men that was pretty much a cheap shot at Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine that actually made me laugh out loud

The setting itself was funny. Wolverine and Colossus are lying in beds next to one another in the X-Men's infirmary after Wolverine just ripped out Colossus' heart and Colossus has just torn off Wolverine's leg bragging about who kicked who's ass (Colossus was on a drug that made him go nuts but now he's better so they're all chummy). Wolverine says, "The Hulk once ripped me in half. You should've seen what happened next - it was epic."

So
    how the hell did Colossus survive? And did they explain how he apparently has liquid metal blood?

mattharvest on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Did no-one read Superman Beyond? You'd think Superman teaming up with Overman and Doctor Manhattan on a Carrier - in glorious 3-D, no less - would merit a bit more discussion.

I thought that SB! had the emotions and the storytelling beats that some folks have been missing in Final Crisis. It was fast paced, but no more (I thought) than the average JLA.

I'm fairly sure Superman Beyond is fantastic, but if you were to ask I would have no idea how to explain it to you.

Bloods End on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Superman Beyond was confusing as hell to me, but at the same time I liked it. However, unless I missed it, I don't see issue 2 solicited at all in September, October, or November.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was Superman Beyond only in 3d?

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Superman Beyond was confusing as hell to me, but at the same time I liked it. However, unless I missed it, I don't see issue 2 solicited at all in September, October, or November.

I dont think there is an issue 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I dont think there is an issue 2

It says #1 of 2 on the cover

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008

So
    how the hell did Colossus survive? And did they explain how he apparently has liquid metal blood?

I'm pretty sure that when Colossus is in his metal form his biological functions (save for brain activity) cease. For example he was able to retrieve the submarine in the early UXM days because he doesn't have to breath underwater. It's not a stretch to say from there that his heart doesn't need to beat either, therefore having his heart ripped out doesn't really matter.

Having said that, they did patch Colossus back up but it's uncertain whether he can turn back to his fleshy self without dieing.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, do they have to like...weld his chest together?

I remember thinking about a similar question, looking at the 'panelling' the normal 616 Colossus had, back when I was a kid. I was trying to picture the transition from metal to flesh, wondering what caused the grooves, etc.

mattharvest on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, do they have to like...weld his chest together?

I remember thinking about a similar question, looking at the 'panelling' the normal 616 Colossus had, back when I was a kid. I was trying to picture the transition from metal to flesh, wondering what caused the grooves, etc.

Actually, yes, that's what it looks like they did.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited August 2008
    Superman Beyond in a nutshell:
    Superman is recruited/abducted by the female Monitor, and brought aboard her 4-D spaceship, called the Destroyer, which is sailing between universes through the "ultramenstruum", a fancy name for the Bleed from The Authority. Apparently the Authority's Carrier is actually a Monitor's spaceship, and we see a brief glimpse of it. Superman is part of a group of heroes from across the multiverse, including the Billy Batson Captain Marvel from Earth-5, Overman the Nazi Superman, the Doctor Manhattan-like "Captain Adam" from Earth-4, which is apparently the Watchmen universe with the actual Charlton characters, and Ultraman the evil Superman counterpart from Earth-2.

The Destroyer is being chased by a bigger, scary looking ship. It takes a direct hit and begins to crash, tumbling through a bunch of alternate universes as it does so (including one that looks a lot like the Marvel U during "Civil War"). The heroes manage to crashland it on the destroyed Earth 51 before coming to rest in Limbo.

In Limbo, where a bunch of forgotten heroes and villains are hanging out slowly forgetting their lives, the heroes find an abandoned library containing the infinite book, a book that contains all possible combinations of words and thus every story ever (and every Destroyer repair manual ever). Touching the book causes Superman and Captain Marvel to learn the origin of the Monitors:

It turns out that the multiverse is actually a giant, endless, sentient organism that was shocked to discover things growing within it that were not itself (namely, universes). It created probes to investigate the disturbance but contact with the universes, and the sentient beings within, caused the probes to gain sentience themselves and become Monitors. One of the probes, called Mandrakk, turned evil and was imprisoned by the other Monitors.

One day a humongous statue of a mysterious figure (Superman) appeared in the midst of the Monitor civilization and they started venerating and studying it, concluding that it was weapon sent to protect them should Mandrakk ever escape. Now that's happening, so they're going around the universes desperately collecting dudes who look like Superman to help them fight.

The magic book knocks out Billy, and the female monitor has done something crazy to Overman "to save us all." Doctor Manhattan is going nuts without his quantum drugs. At the end, the giant scary thing finds them, filling the entire sky - Mandrakk.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait so
    Are Mandrakk and the Anti-Montior the same dude?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Thunderbolts worth getting? I was a little meh about the cbr preview. Ellis and Deodorato are a hard act to follow :/

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the Doctor Manhattan-like "Captain Adam" from Earth-4

Captain Adam and Dr Manhattan both come from Captain Atom. I don't know why, but it annoys me that people keep saying Adam is based on Dr Manhattan, even if it's just a matter of semantics.

KVW on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To that whole Colossus discussion. In Exiles when Mimic goes toe to toe with Wolvie at the Phoenix Trials, he says he can't revert from metal form or else he'll bleed to death. He had to stay metal while his healing factor kicked in and patched him up.

Jester313 on
    edited August 2008
    KVW wrote: »

Captain Adam and Dr Manhattan both come from Captain Atom. I don't know why, but it annoys me that people keep saying Adam is based on Dr Manhattan, even if it's just a matter of semantics.

Captain Adam and his "quantum senses" owe a lot more to the detached omniscience of Manhattan than to Captain Atom's aw-shucks down home military thing. He even floats like Manhattan. And, y'know, blue skin.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    Wait so
    Are Mandrakk and the Anti-Montior the same dude?

I'm....not sure, but I'm guessing not.
    Mandrakk is one of the original 'probes', the Anti-Monitor is (I think) just a normal dude Monitor who happened to be evil. The Monitors are descended from the probes, but they're supposed to be smaller and weaker (and their civilization is slowly ending).

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think I need to go buy Superman Beyond. The 3d thing is really weird.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

The 3D stuff works pretty well. I can't see those Magic Eye things for shit but I didn't have a problem with this.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008
    Oh shits, another tie-in that I forgot to mention:
    The sentient multiverse with universes growing inside it is The Absolute from Flex Mentallo.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KVW wrote: »

Captain Adam and his "quantum senses" owe a lot more to the detached omniscience of Manhattan than to Captain Atom's aw-shucks down home military thing. He even floats like Manhattan. And, y'know, blue skin.

I'm guessing you haven't read the Gill/Ditko Charlton series from the 60s-70s.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I'm guessing you haven't read the Gill/Ditko Charlton series from the 60s-70s.

Just the 80s one and JLE. Tell me about the Gill stuff.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My moment of the week was from Madame Xanadu where in the beginning they referenced the part in Sandman with Marco Polo getting lost in the desert. Plus many good moments with the Phantom Stranger. The book has been very solid so far in my opinion.

Zaylenz on
    edited August 2008
    The quantum/nuclear stuff was around from the start (it was also a fairly intricate part of the Gold Key (and later, Valiant) character Solar, Man of the Atom. Moore certainly brought more of that to the forefront with Dr. Manhattan, but it wasn't an entirely original idea. Remember, Doc Man was created only after Giordano told Moore/Gibbons that they couldn't use the Charlton characters for their story.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Also, my MotW would be a toss-up between Rogue's Revenge, Amazing Spider-Man, and the Initiative. Anti-MotW was watching Didio do another snuff comic in Teen Titans - I'm thru paying money for that book.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

The 3D stuff works pretty well. I can't see those Magic Eye things for shit but I didn't have a problem with this.

The 3D stuff was pretty amazing. Was really well done, and added the necessary feeling of otherworldness to sections taking place in the
    bleed
    . It was cool to see some of the stuff Morrisson established in other DC books, reappear here...
    I think that so far, this has been one of my favorite books of the year.

Rogues tie-in pretty awesome as well.

muninn on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Is Thunderbolts worth getting? I was a little meh about the cbr preview. Ellis and Deodorato are a hard act to follow :/

no

wait for the new writer to come on

Diablo Fett on
    edited August 2008
    I liked Gage's first issue

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Initiative was pretty sweet this week. Is it the same artist this month? Something seemed better in this issue than the last one. Maybe the colors or something I don't know but I liked it a lot more this time.

smokmnky on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, admittedly I've not followed the new Spider-Man run well as I missed the reveal of who Mr Negative was, but as far as I;ve been aware, Peter has no idea of what he did with the deal right? I mean nothing springs to mind of him mentioning his life prior to the deal and yet this week he does.

DarkWarrior on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha

Superman Beyond was so fucking great

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2008
    Wow Old Man Logan

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular