As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work etiquette question

acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin InstitutionalizedSafe in jail.Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
hey Help/Advice, So tomorrow's my last day working at my job before I go back to classes to finish up my CS degree. I'm hoping to have a spot back at this job in ~9 months. They took me out to lunch yesterday and the lead programmer there gave me a giftcard, and I was just wondering what the etiquette is here. Should I give them gifts? give a thanks note?

Seeing how this is the first job I've had where you're not supposed to flip off the boss and piss the in employee's lounge while leaving, I want to do this right.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
acidlacedpenguin on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bring in some thank you notes and make sure you tell the people your closest to how great it's been and how you hate to leave for class. Talk to your manager and tell him you want to be back in 9 months if you haven't already. If you really loved the place bring in some cupcakes or cookies or something to say thank you for everything.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think it's just the one leaving that usually gets the gifts and such, but you can do whatever you want. If you loved them enough to get them things, knock yourself out. I would say that keeping in touch with them should be more than enough - send them a note in a couple months checking in and telling them how you're doing and asking how things are going over there, etc. If you were particularly close to anyone, talk to them more often. Nothing is set in stone.

Last job I left, I did send a long email to everyone I knew in the department, thanking them for the experience and stuff... do whatever feels right to you.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you want to leave a thank you note and box of chocolates or something in the office lounge that would probably be ok but it isn't necessary as far as i know.
    Also, your previous job was working as a rodeo clown?:P

Dman on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Definitely thank-you notes.

Shogun on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thank you notes are totally appropriate

if you can bake/cook well, bringing in nibblies/cookies/whatev is really cool too

ihmmy on
  • Options
    CerpinCerpin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A lady has just left work and snuck in afterwards and left a present for everyone in my department, most people thought it was nice but she didn't need to do it. A group gift that everyone can share should be more than enough, food or something as has been suggested.

Cerpin on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up grabbing a pile of promotional items: coffee mugs, shirts, fancy pens, etc. from my father's company (which helps fund local start-up tech companies) and plan on personally thanking everyone in the group for the experience.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN