As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

American Presidency : Sara Palin - Republican VP

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just as a word of warning, prior to Palin, this is the most recent impression I have had made upon me by Alaskan women:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslbz3X2mQE&feature=related

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A couple of early thoughts/questions:
    1. Please, everyone, no "probe" jokes.

2. So, McCain and governor of Alaska are teaming up...what does this mean for ANWAR? McCain has voted to stay out, but Palin's been for opening it up to drilling. My guess would be that ANWAR's going to end up probed, if you catch my hint.

3. Has she shown any knowledge/experience regarding foreign relations?

4. She named her son Trig Paxson Van Palin. Can we allow someone with such bad taste in baby names to have her finger on the button?

[EDIT]
    5. Her oldest son is named Track? Her daughter is Bristol? I freaking live in Bristol! Is her next child going to be named Hartford?

6. So how much of an asshole is Glenn Beck?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know a lot of Palin but I will say she is generating a ton of buzz on the interweb and here on the PA forums. I think we have three different threads talking about her here on D&D!!

LondonBridge on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    just found about this on CNN and read the article. 2 things come to mind

1) McCain is a horny old dude who likes relatively younger hot chics surrounding him. Can't blame him.

2) I would think this would cancel out the whole "lack of experience" arguement, but I'm gonna guess not.

tallgeeze on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One line of attack that'll come.... Palin = Quayle. Unqualified younger pick trying to create a younger look.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    holy shit, a direct appeal.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know a lot of Palin but I will say she is generating a ton of buzz on the interweb and here on the PA forums. I think we have three different threads talking about her here on D&D!!

That's partially because she's an unknown.

Also, the intent may have been to have only one American Presidency thread, but the old one isn't locked, so we're talking about her in both.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh my god she's terrible. She's shrill, she weirdly claps when speaking, her speech is incredibly small in focus, her delivery is uneven, and most of all, best of all, significant beyond measure:

The blatant co-opting of the Change message. They've stopped running on experience. They're debating on our terms now, and playing the game we built. We officially control what this election is about, and that is perhaps the most significant thing about this moment.

not really an edit: HOLY SHIT THE BLATANT "I'M SUPPOSED TO BE OUR HILLARY" MOMENT GOD THAT WAS HANDLED POORLY

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Palin is being blatant about the gender/Hillary card, I think we know what Hillary's role is going to be.

Because even if she doesn't want Obama in there she'll be damned if a female beats her to the White House.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, Palin just threw down the gauntlet.

In front of Hillary Clinton.

Poor girl has no idea what she's just gotten herself into.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry, I can stop laughing at an OP that claims Sarah Palin "has experience".

That's like saying playing Trauma Center means you have experience as a surgeon.

Lawndart on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TechieZero wrote: »
    Wow. I so didn't want to vote for the Marxist, and was lukewarm about my parties choice --- now I am fucking energized!

Why were you considering voting for Brian Moore?

moniker on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    If Palin is being blatant about the gender/Hillary card, I think we know what Hillary's role is going to be.

Because even if she doesn't want Obama in there she'll be damned if a female beats her to the White House.

Oh absolutely. That was a deadly mis-step. Hillary is a Clinton. They are singularly known for not abiding someone eclipsing or co-opting their legacy, especially a fucking air-head pro-lifer republican.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Marxist, right.

No, Marxist LEFT. :lol:

TechieZero on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Biden is going to debate the living fuck out of her. And I think the Dems could very easily disspell the gender effect by simply implying/announcing early that Hillary would be Obama's pick for Attorney General, which I figure would happen anyway.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love working with all republicans.

Everyone is depressed. All I hear outside my office is "yeah, but..." "well i mean..." "yeeah...i guess..."

Im not catching specifics but its just a lot of depressed attempts at justification.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If giving a shit about the well-being of your countrymen is Marxism, sign me up.

Nartwak on
    edited August 2008

Oh absolutely. That was a deadly mis-step. Hillary is a Clinton. They are singularly known for not abiding someone eclipsing or co-opting their legacy, especially a fucking air-head pro-lifer republican.
    And Hillary was the last person in the party Sarah wanted to call out. Never mind being a Clinton. Hillary is a girl. Obama and Biden are guys. Guys have to be careful about hitting girls.

Hillary, though, can hit girls all she wants. And she is all too happy to take a swing.

Gosling on
    edited August 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Biden is going to debate the living fuck out of her. And I think the Dems could very easily disspell the gender effect by simply implying/announcing early that Hillary would be Obama's pick for Attorney General, which I figure would happen anyway.

He can't be seen as bullying her, which wouldn't have been a problem with Pawlenty. Hell we might have seen a level of awesome to supercede the Quayle VP debates if it was Biden v Pawlenty. Still, Joe handled himself well in the debates with Hillary even though it didn't come up too much. He'll likely bury her, unless she studies her ass off between now and Gwen Ifill's piercing gaze.

moniker on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh my god she's terrible. She's shrill, she weirdly claps when speaking, her speech is incredibly small in focus, her delivery is uneven, and most of all, best of all, significant beyond measure:

The blatant co-opting of the Change message. They've stopped running on experience. They're debating on our terms now, and playing the game we built. We officially control what this election is about, and that is perhaps the most significant thing about this moment.

not really an edit: HOLY SHIT THE BLATANT "I'M SUPPOSED TO BE OUR HILLARY" MOMENT GOD THAT WAS HANDLED POORLY

She sounds like she should be running for city council, not the vice presidency, and the stupid, stupid Hillary call to arms made me laugh out loud with glee. The Obama campaign is going to have a field day with this pick and I especially can't wait to see Hillary's response to this (and you know it's coming...).

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Palin supposed to appeal to female voters just because of her vagina? I know shit about her so I would like to know if she has done anything that separates her from Generic Republican X.

Couscous on
    edited August 2008
    Nartwak wrote: »
    If giving a shit about the well-being of your countrymen is Marxism, sign me up.

You should try conservatism first. It cares about the country as well w/o all the communist manifesto crap.

TechieZero on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I did. It failed me.

Nartwak on
    edited August 2008
    Gosling wrote: »

And Hillary was the last person in the party Sarah wanted to call out. Never mind being a Clinton. Hillary is a girl. Obama and Biden are guys. Guys have to be careful about hitting girls.

Hillary, though, can hit girls all she wants. And she is all too happy to take a swing.

Clinton, McCaskill, and Pelosi are going to be on the attack during their convention.

moniker on
    edited August 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is Palin supposed to appeal to female voters just because of her vagina? I know shit about her so I would like to know if she has done anything that separates her from Generic Republican X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_palin

TechieZero on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That tells me nothing other than a bit of the shit she has done.

Couscous on
    edited August 2008
    Obama's camp needs to come up with a nice way of saying 'so what'.

The biggest arguement I face with my girlfriend is when McCain says something horribly out of touch (the $5 mil comment) she goes "Yeah but I mean, it's not really his fault. He's just an old guy, and he's can't think on the spot like that." She works with the elderly so she feels a lot of sympathy for McCain when she sees him get grilled and squirm.

And I try to say to her "Yes - I agree. Its almost sad. But he SHOULDNT BE RUNNING if thats the case." and she goes "Yeah...I agree...I just feel bad. They shouldnt be hammering him like this."

Shes an Obama supporter, but shes not even gonna TELL her parents because she feels so much sympathy for him she knows she wouldnt be able to win an arguement. I just dont know how to combat that, and its only going to get worse with his VP pick.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited August 2008

You should try conservatism first. It cares about the country as well w/o all the communist manifesto crap.

Seriously, why are you talking about Moore? He's up there with Keyes on the 'stupid shit that you can laugh at when they make a funny' level of Presidential nominees.

moniker on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You realize McCain is the one with the communist connections, right?

Thanatos on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My wife thinks Joe Biden is cute. She likes his smile.

He does have some dazzlingly white teeth.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone know how good of a politician she is? I.e. debates, speeches, etc

She has the highest approval ratings in the history of Alaska: and I think in the history of the US (at least since these kinds of polls have been recorded)

Well, there's goes Alaska's 3 electoral votes. Obama actually had a chance to win here beforehand.

Undead Scottsman on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That tells me nothing other than a bit of the shit she has done.

Basically she's the Harriet Miers of VP picks.

Lawndart on
    edited August 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Oh Than.

...why don't you pass the time by playing a little solitaire. shifty.gif

moniker on
    edited August 2008

Was I talking about McCain?

TechieZero on
    edited August 2008
    If I'm Obama, I'm on the phone with Hillary right now saying "You saw that, right? Palin just called you out. What are you gonna do about that?"

Just... wow, Palin. You want Hillary Clinton? You got her.

Gosling on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Was I talking about McCain?
    You keep saying that Obama is a Marxist, when there's way more evidence for McCain's communism than his.

Thanatos on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Two point bump on day 2

080829DailyUpdateGraph1_tyghnbv.gif

Cauld on
    edited August 2008
    My wife thinks Joe Biden is cute. She likes his smile.

He does have some dazzlingly white teeth.

Last night I realized why I like Biden.

He's the only politician I can think of who has a genuine smile. It never comes off as forced, ever.

mxmarks on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    End wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

There's a good video of her saying "What does the VP even do?"
    ...saywhatnow?

Post it.

Postitpostitpostit.

What does the VP even do?

Three quarters in. The first half is all about the corruption allegations, and the second half is about McCain.

(Edit: I do think its worthwhile watching the whole video)

Fun fact: My coworker shot that footage (well, he set up the camera; not like it moved during the interview)

Undead Scottsman on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She makes McCain look a hell of a lot older just looking at the banner on his website.

Junpei on
This discussion has been closed.