As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Driving without turn signals

khainkhain Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
The turn signals on my car suddenly died today, even though the hazard lights still work which use the same physical light, and I can't get it repaired until Monday. Is there a way to legally drive with turn signals not working? I live in Washington if that matters.

khain on

• supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Use your arm?

supertall on
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    supertall wrote: »
    Use your arm?

Is this actually legal? I know the turn signals, the only thing I'm concerned about is that if a person is to your right then can't see anything.

khain on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure about the legality of your arms but I know for a fact that my father has driven without using turn signals for decades and has yet to be pulled over for it.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah its legal. Alternatively, just don't turn when a cop is behind you until you get it fixed. Worked for me for like 3 months.

unilateral on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    According to wikipedia, Washington state does not require vehicles to pass regular safety inspections, but if you were in a state that did, it would not be legal to drive with non-functioning turn signals. You could be issued a citation for "improper equipment" or something along those lines.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Point your hand outwards for a left turn

Point your hand outwards and rotate your arm in a forward circular motion for a right turn

This is the legal way to operate your car if the signal lights do not work and you are waiting for it to be fixed.

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Point your hand outwards for a left turn

Point your hand outwards and rotate your arm in a forward circular motion for a right turn

This is the legal way to operate your car if the signal lights do not work and you are waiting for it to be fixed.

That isn't the proper hand signal for a right turn.

From page 63 of the Washington Driver Guide.

WAhandsignals.gif

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/driverguide.pdf

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it just the auto-blinking that is broken? You say the hazard lights work, so I wonder... You may be able to manually blink the light by holding the signal arm up and then pulling it down (or the other way, if you're going left) multiple times while you would normally be signalling. I'm not sure if I'm being very clear, but it's basically manually manipulating the signal arm (turning the signal on and off) while the auto-blinker is broken.

LaOs on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If it's just the bulbs that are broken you can pretty easily replace those yourself (or with help from advance auto or similar).

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Something similar happened to my car once, my brake lights worked, but weren't regularly lit when my lights were on. Turned out it was a fuse.

Cauld on
  • NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Before you take it to a mechanic, you should check a couple things. First of all, look for any blown fuses. It is pretty easy to spot one that has blown, so if you have any of those, replace it. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it is probably the flasher unit. The round thing on the fuse panel that looks like this is the flasher. They are really cheap and available at any auto parts store. I would definitely check both of those before paying for a mechanics time. They'll probably charge you at $30 to spend 2 minutes installing a $4 part.

Newton on