As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Captain America: Now With 20% More Angst!

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Finally got around to getting and reading the omnibus the other day. I've read some of the more recent issues, but wasn't really familiar with most of the earlier ones. What's amazing to me is how well paced the story is. It seems to all flow together in one cohesive story.

I think I'll wait for another giant omnibus to some more though. I love me my omnibi.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only problem I have with the new costume is the shiney-ness, which seems inappropriate considering Bucky's espionage background, but I guess does work for the captain America character

Quirk on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I think Brubaker said on Word Balloon or something a while back that he wasn't really consulted to much on the costume design, they just asked Alex Ross to design it and that's what they picked. I don't like the shinny metal look that much either.

smokmnky on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a lot less shiny in action, (i.e. when Alex Ross isnt drawing it)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I like the new suit.

Me too. It's nice and right inside the book.

Dareth Ram on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    The one thing I will say against the book is that I felt like Brubaker sort of rushed getting Bucky into the Captain America suit, but that was probably something that his editors wanted and it got the story moving into high gear, so

Rushed it? Man, Brubaker spent like a year getting Bucky into the suit. That'd be the one thing I would say against an otherwise awesome book, that after Cap died the story went practically nowhere for like 12 issues.

Well, obviously Brubaker's Cap has always been about Bucky, but I felt they jumped from the whole "Bucky wants to kill Iron Man" plotline to the "shit Bucky is going to throw the suit on" stuff a bit too quickly.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    The one thing I will say against the book is that I felt like Brubaker sort of rushed getting Bucky into the Captain America suit, but that was probably something that his editors wanted and it got the story moving into high gear, so

Rushed it? Man, Brubaker spent like a year getting Bucky into the suit. That'd be the one thing I would say against an otherwise awesome book, that after Cap died the story went practically nowhere for like 12 issues.

Well, obviously Brubaker's Cap has always been about Bucky, but I felt they jumped from the whole "Bucky wants to kill Iron Man" plotline to the "shit Bucky is going to throw the suit on" stuff a bit too quickly.

"Hey Jim. Here's a note Steve left me to show you."

oh.....

Crimsondude on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To be honest I really don't like that Bucky's taken up the Captain America identity. Using the sheild is fine, and I could deal with him chang his outfit to something closer to Cap's, but changing his look entirely from a somewhat realistic and practical soldier get-up to Captain America II: Shiny Edition is a bit much.

Plus it looks ridiculous.

Remember, Stark designed that suit for James. At least Iron Spider was tolerable if you didn't look at it from a "Look everyone, Spider Man is my bitch now." perspective. If the whole suit had been shiny metal I think it might have looked better, but then he'd look like DC's Citizen Steel.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Iron Spider was fucking awesome.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2008
    James designed the suit for James.

Remember, he isn't as tough or as strong as Steve. He needs the extra armor.

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i don't really like the black and blue color scheme

DouglasDanger on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    James designed the suit for James.

Remember, he isn't as tough or as strong as Steve. He needs the extra armor.

Seeing as how Steve got shot in the torso (if memory serves, and it rarely does) through his cap uniform one might say he also needed a little extra armor. I mean, when you have the world's greatest scientific minds as your best buds (Mr.Fantastic and Stark) you'd think one X-mas one of them would give you an upgraded version of your work duds.

So obviously I'm not a fan of the shiny cap uniform either. But it's not like they can afford to mess with the look too much since Captain America is one of the most well known icons of the Marvel line up.

Caveman Paws on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cap got shot point blank though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Even more reason to bulk up on armor.

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cap20costumewe3.jpg
    ?

Munch on
    edited August 2008
    Luscious Rob Liefeld Cap might also have withstood the assassination attempt;

liefeld_cap.jpg

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love that even Liefeld is embarrassed by that piece.

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    cap20costumewe3.jpg
    ?

Wasn't that the last time he "died"? (Since he never actually did. Everyone just thought he did.)
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I love that even Liefeld is embarrassed by that piece.

I didn't know he felt shame. Or pain. Or fatigue. Or pity.

I thought he was was like the Terminator, only instead of killing Sarah Connor he killed the comic industry.

Crimsondude on
    edited August 2008
    But he created deadpool.

It's like the only plus in his column.
    (even though the character has changed significantly since the Liefeld days.)

Sharp101 on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah. But his Deadpool was basically Generic Ninja #3 with a name.

ZERO FLAGS!

Crimsondude on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

ZERO FLAGS!

SIX FLAGS!

... more flags! more fun!

PantheraOnca on
    edited August 2008
    Damn. I didn't realize I was just that awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    cap20costumewe3.jpg
    ?
    af_metamorph2_capt_L.jpg
    ?

Wildcat on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    20155-120241-4-what-if-civil-war_400.jpg

!

i know what this is i just wanted an excuse to post it

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Well, the costume itself was ok. It needed a 4th robot arm though. The thing I didn't like was that the design and colors portrayed an "I'm one of Tony Stark's men." vibe, that just pissed off the Anti's been more then what they felt was betrayal of what Spidey stood for. Had the coloring been different or the design been more in line with the original suit designs I would have liked it more.

For instance, no one cares if there's a 7 legged Spider Spirit, and most people in the DCU don't even know that (neither do most people in the real world), l the suit needed a 4th robot leg damn it. (Plus it all clusterfucked out of continuity anyway, so people thinking back would have wondered why he had only 7 limbs.)

So, that Captain America, I hear he loves freedom.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well, the costume itself was ok. It needed a 4th robot arm though. The thing I didn't like was that the design and colors portrayed an "I'm one of Tony Stark's men." vibe, that just pissed off the Anti's been more then what they felt was betrayal of what Spidey stood for. Had the coloring been different or the design been more in line with the original suit designs I would have liked it more.

For instance, no one cares if there's a 7 legged Spider Spirit, and most people in the DCU don't even know that (neither do most people in the real world), l the suit needed a 4th robot leg damn it. (Plus it all clusterfucked out of continuity anyway, so people thinking back would have wondered why he had only 7 limbs.)

Not that most people in the DCU would know of Spider-Man at all. The MU on the other hand ...

Wildcat on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I might buy the Omnibus even though I've read all the issues up into the late 30s... it was so good, and they HAVE to do a 2nd Omnibus someday right? Maybe I'll just wait til then.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

Not that most people in the DCU would know of Spider-Man at all. The MU on the other hand ...

Yeah my bad. I have quoted myself to immortalize my shame.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's actually worse because apparently it could look like the old suit, Spidey just chose not to.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2008
    Well it made sense that it looked like one of Tony's suits. Peter was Tony's right hand man at the time, and Tony was grooming Peter to be more like himself.

Sharp101 on
    edited September 2008
    So I might buy the Omnibus even though I've read all the issues up into the late 30s... it was so good, and they HAVE to do a 2nd Omnibus someday right? Maybe I'll just wait til then.

Buy all omnibus.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Omnibi? Omnibusses?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will omnibize my wallet asap.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited September 2008
    Do it you fool.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited September 2008
    Guys

Today.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dont mind the new cap.

but how do i LOVE the old inspirational cap

capasskickingiz3.jpg

edit: also this just in
    "BUCKY: not a dick; CONFIRMED!"
    CaptainAmerica27pg03-thumb.jpg

delphinus on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I guess using Cap as a historical adviser for a new WWII film wasn't quite as good an idea as the producers initially thought.

CyberJackal on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man the ending of The Death of Captain America was so damn awesome

Sars_Boy on
    edited September 2008
    So damn awesome.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why does Natasha seem so nice when she has long hair? Does a switch flip when she gets a cut? But yeah, this was an amazing arc. I can't wait to see where he goes from here.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog