As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD 4e Combos

Kaiju15Kaiju15 Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
This is a place where you can post your awesome combinations for Dungeons and Dragons whether they be feat and skill selections that are extremely effective, excellent combat techniques or class roles that can work well off of each other. (Think Colossus and Wolverine)

It is your duty as a filmgoer to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
Kaiju15 on

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is already a character optimization thread buried somewhere.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    CCCCCOMBO BREAKER!

So I think Backstabber + Weapon Proficiency Rapier + Brutal Scoundrel Rogue build is the best when starting out as rogue.

Goose! on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A party maxed out to take advantage of the Cold-related feats is pretty awesome.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I dislike that there's only cold related feats so far. Only because Wintertouched seems like its too situational to be of any use.

Goose! on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fighter / Mage with AoEs can make for some comical "YOU'RE ALL MARKED HAHAHA!" encounters, and the wizard utilities are amazing for a fighter. Dimension Door? Blur? Fly? Yes please.

Rogue Artful Dodger multiclass into Warlock with Eyebite is a pretty simple gimmick, but its a pretty fun way to get combat advantage out of nowhere, and you double up on charisma.

Ranger / Rogue with quickdraw and a duelist's short sword can do some comically high damage by blowing a bunch of nastiness together in one round.

Paladin / Warlock with a focus on teleport powers isn't necessarily crazy powerful, but it can be pretty damn fun.

I'm trying to find some good warlord / X or X / warlord combinations. Warlord isn't bad, but I'm not seeing anything aside from what you'd basically get from a cleric strength build: punch something, somebody gets a heal.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fighter / Mage with AoEs can make for some comical "YOU'RE ALL MARKED HAHAHA!" encounters, and the wizard utilities are amazing for a fighter. Dimension Door? Blur? Fly? Yes please.

Rogue Artful Dodger multiclass into Warlock with Eyebite is a pretty simple gimmick, but its a pretty fun way to get combat advantage out of nowhere, and you double up on charisma.

Ranger / Rogue with quickdraw and a duelist's short sword can do some comically high damage by blowing a bunch of nastiness together in one round.

Paladin / Warlock with a focus on teleport powers isn't necessarily crazy powerful, but it can be pretty damn fun.

I'm trying to find some good warlord / X or X / warlord combinations. Warlord isn't bad, but I'm not seeing anything aside from what you'd basically get from a cleric strength build: punch something, somebody gets a heal.

Taclord/Wizard

Leemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fighter/Mage. Just play Swordmage.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Fighter/Mage. Just play Swordmage.

Meh, swordmages are neat (from the little bit I've seen so far), but fighters can do evil and mean and vicious things with opportunity attacks and combat challenges. Swordmages can't. A fighter / mage seems more attuned to a sort of defender / striker hybrid that operates as an anti-striker (especially by using teleports to close the gap), whereas a swordmage seems more like a defender / supporter who specializes in preventing damage, moving people around, and jumping all over the entire place. The swordmage is much better at moving people away from friendly strikers and preventing damage, the fighter is much better at killing enemy strikers and using self healing powers to remain active behind enemy formations.

Which is to say swordmages are neat and fighter-mages are neat, and so far I don't really see one making the other obsolete. I do agree that if you want a gish (melee attacks + offensive wizard attacks) you want to go swordmage.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Leemo wrote: »

Taclord/Wizard

I could see that doing some really neat things if you picked up a few control powers. Implements would be an issue, I guess you'd nab quickdraw and just swap weapons around alot.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or go with quarterstaves and dump the shield, depending on how you want to distribute feats. Less than optimal, but good visual.

Leemo on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I play a Fighter and my buddy plays a Rogue.

Most encounters, we find the toughest looking guy in the group. I use Spinning Sweep to knock him prone, then my buddy follows up with Dazing Strike, which leaves the enemy dazed until the end of the Rogue's next turn.

It's a good way to keep the biggest bad out of the fight for a little while.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm going to try going Fighter / Warlord with my Dragonborn Fighter.

If nothing else, you've got another trained skill and an extra healing surge per day for one feat.

My fighter tends to be towards the typical tank-ish "takes damage for the team, and really tough to take down" end of things. And he's got some extra charisma that he uses for intimidate during combat, but doesn't get much out of it in his power selection. Utility powers would be the main things I'd have in mind to swap. To use a few powers from the heroic tier as an example.

At level 2, I like "Aid the Injured" over "Unstoppable" for being a per-encounter rather than at-will power.

Level 6 utility powers. As a straight-up fighter I'd probably go with "Unbreakable", reducing my damage from an attack by 5+Con. However, the Warlord power "Inspiring Reaction" will allow me to heal more hit points than the fighter power can reduce, as well as giving me the ability to use in on an ally if need be. The fighter power may be better in the situation that those 8 or so hp would reduce me to zero, but I like the versatility and overall healing ability of the Warlord power better... most likely I'd be using that power before I'm getting to the point where I'm about to keel over from a single attack.

At level 16, "Iron Warrior" is pretty damned awesome. I would consider "Warlord's Banner" instead though, as it's a per-encounter vs a per-day, and benefits other party members as well as myself.

At level 22 the fighter power "No Surrender" is a must-take for me. I can't see the warlord utilities fitting my concept better.

There's a few warlord encounter powers I like but not many. Most of the better ones depend on having either the inspiring or tactical presence class features, which I don't get as a fighter.

I don't think I'd switch out any dailies. I really like that "reliable" keyword

The Knight Commander paragon path ain't so shabby... though I really do like that Iron Vanguard quite a bit more.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If your DM allows it, you could use Arcane Gate for some Portal style shenannigans.

You could make an enemy fall infinitely through the floor and ceiling and accidentally forget to sustain it. However, you'd have to have your fighter push the enemy into it because the target squares must be unoccupied.

Kaiju15 on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kaiju15 wrote: »
    If your DM allows it, you could use Arcane Gate for some Portal style shenannigans.

You could make an enemy fall infinitely through the floor and ceiling and accidentally forget to sustain it. However, you'd have to have your fighter push the enemy into it because the target squares must be unoccupied.

It takes too long to cast for that to be a regularly feasible tactic.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Kaiju15 wrote: »

It takes too long to cast for that to be a regularly feasible tactic.

A minor action?

Kaiju15 on