As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I Work at Circuit City

• Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I answered most of the questions honestly, though, it went pretty quick. I don't know what the hell their trick questions are though, so it's tough.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I swear I get dumber everytime I take those tests.
    They take like twenty minutes, have the dumbest questions and by the end I just end up hating the place I'm applying for.

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The only nice thing is that as a customer service employee, I don't have to deal with quotas and selling all of the customers "solutions" to their new TV. Not extra accessories, "solutions".

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I truly hate the questions in interviews
    "Tell me about Rite Aid, tell me what you did"
    "Well I was a front end associate, stacked shelves, ran the register, stuff like that"
    What I want to say is "I was the one who kept the store from falling apart for three months when our pharmacy was fucked and I was left to run the rest of the building, and in exchange they fucked me on hours and made me wear a tie. So I figured fuck it and spent most of my shifts reading a book after that. Also my manager was a crack addict"
    That's true, by the way. She got transferred and then busted for crack about a week after she left our store

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I work at Wal-Mart

get $10 an hour, awesome bosses that let me get away with missing work on occasion, and my job is easy as fuck

all I have to do is sit through occasional antiunion speeches from the managers

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want to get a job at Sam's, stocking shelves overnight
    No customers to deal with and you start at 9.something an hour
    Aldi's is even better, cashiers sit on their asses and start at 11 an hour

Me Too! on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    I truly hate the questions in interviews
    "Tell me about Rite Aid, tell me what you did"
    "Well I was a front end associate, stacked shelves, ran the register, stuff like that"
    What I want to say is "I was the one who kept the store from falling apart for three months when our pharmacy was fucked and I was left to run the rest of the building, and in exchange they fucked me on hours and made me wear a tie. So I figured fuck it and spent most of my shifts reading a book after that. Also my manager was a crack addict"
    That's true, by the way. She got transferred and then busted for crack about a week after she left our store

So what you're saying is, your Aspergers got in the way again.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yeah but being a cashier at a supermarket is a shit job

• Options
    edited August 2008

Not at Aldi's
    11 bucks an hour, starting off
    You get a comfy-ass chair to sit in
    You don't bag the groceries, customers do that themselves
    And when there's no customers, you do what you want
    God I want that job but they're not hiring

Also Aldi's isn't really a supermarket, it's a chain of small stores

Me Too! on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    shootin high I can see wiggin

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I bought a TV from Circuit City last week. The people there were pretty nice.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    shootin high I can see wiggin

Well since I haven't gone to college yet I'm kinda limited to minimum wage jobs around town
    Since y'know
    No training, no skills, nothing really
    And when 11 an hour is well above minimum wage you bet your ass I want that job

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »

Not at Aldi's
    11 bucks an hour, starting off
    You get a comfy-ass chair to sit in
    You don't bag the groceries, customers do that themselves
    And when there's no customers, you do what you want
    God I want that job but they're not hiring

Also Aldi's isn't really a supermarket, it's a chain of small stores

if its halfway the same as over here be aware that aldi cashiers are also the aldi cleaners, stock whatevers and basically do everything.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah that's cool
    I did pretty much everything at Rite Aid for nine months
    And then they cut my hours and put me on closing and I showed up, threw a vest on, and sat down for four hours

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the other thing I like about wal-mart is that mine has an incredibly relaxed dress code

I wear jeans and a t shirt every day

• Options
    edited August 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    I bought a TV from Circuit City last week. The people there were pretty nice.

I like to think that because we know we'll always lose to Best Buy in terms of, well, everything, it really boosts our ability to level with a customer and not be total shitbags trying to sell as much as they can.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I work at Home Depot for $10 an hour.

I get to see burly lumberjack type fuck around with chainsaws all day.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • Options
    gobassgogobassgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had my last day of work at CVS on Wednesday.
    I was a pharmacy tech which is really just fancy talk for "the bitch". I worked the register and had to explain to senile old women that the fact that the doctor hadn't called in their prescription wasn't our fault, it was the doctor's.

The perks were that I got $10 an hour and I got to wear a lab coat.

gobassgo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the other thing I like about wal-mart is that mine has an incredibly relaxed dress code

I wear jeans and a t shirt every day

Around here, the drug stores make employees dress nicely. Shirt, tie, khakis
    Everyplace else is like "Here's a shirt, wear some jeans or shorts if you're doing outside work, see you tomorrow"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had my last day at Michaels Arts and Crafts today (three jobs and school does not mix).

It was pretty standard except for this one random guy. He asked me a few questions about the T-shirts we sell, and then thanked me for my time. As I walk away, he goes, "Hey, wanna hear a joke?"

"A joke?"

"Yeah, a joke."

"O..okay. Shoot."

"What do you call a computer who is a prostitute?"

"I... I don't know. What do you call it?"

"A fucking know-it-all that goes down on you a lot."

"Ha, ha. That's... that's something."

After about two more of those, I excused myself to finish setting an endcap. About an hour and a half later, I'm up at my register, getting ready to close it and leave. As I'm about to go, I hear a voice from my right: "Hey, do you wanna hear a Halloween one?"

Michaels has all its Halloween (and Christmas, ugh) stuff set up right now. I assume this was an attempt to connect with me. "Uh... sure," I said.

"What kind of street do ghosts hang out on?"

"I don't know. A boo-levard?" I had hoped answering one of his questions would get him to go away, but alas.

"Hah! That's good! No, no. It's a 'dead end.'"

I don't know where he had come from, and it was creepy as hell. Did he leave the store to come back and tell me jokes? The world may never know.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    gobassgo wrote: »
    I had my last day of work at CVS on Wednesday.
    I was a pharmacy tech which is really just fancy talk for "the bitch". I worked the register and had to explain to senile old women that the fact that the doctor hadn't called in their prescription wasn't our fault, it was the doctor's.

The perks were that I got $10 an hour and I got to wear a lab coat.

A little over a week ago I finished my last shift as a CVS night clerk.

I did everything in that store for a year, and it was exhausting, stressful, and I always had to stay late.

However, I took pride in my work, and my night managers were cool as all hell. Two things drove me off; the first being that guido and white trash kids started flooding the store at the beginning of summer, and a lot of them always gave me shit. The other reason was that nights won't gel with my fall school schedule though, and a guy from a bagel shop in the same plaza came in and gave me a really nice offer (25% on what I was making at CVS, plus tips).

Well, I took the bait, and the bagel job (which I've only worked at two days so far) is super shitty, and Mr. Bagel Man is kind of a huge douche. I'd walk back over to the CVS and ask if they had any day shifts open, but I was so arrogant and rude about quitting that I'm going to wait it out for a month or two.

I thought I'd be done with school this semester, but one of the classes I need is only offered in winter. Otherwise, I was going to take a semester off. Also, there are some really awesome games I've been looking forward to coming out in the next two-three months, which is another reason I still need work.

So, back to the OP, general retail > coffee/bread shop. The pay may be less, but you will get to keep a little more of your dignity.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I want to bartend, too. I need a license though. I just got my last check from my old job so now I have to hope to God that the Dept. of Labor approves me for unemployment checks or I am going to be in some trouble.

Goose! on
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    Zombot wrote: »
    The pay at every CC I ever applied for has been terrible.

Yeah, it sucks ass. $8.50 for me.

Starbucks is $8.20 but then there's tips.

Yeah...I make 7.60 at Border's...after two raises.

Shut up.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The last time I got to do a real interview things went so weirdly
    "So your last job was with an Opera house?"
    "Yes. I was part of the chorus for a couple of their shows. I actually plan to work for them again the next time the season rolls around, but it wouldn't interfere with my other work"
    "Is that fun?"
    "It really is. You know, sometimes I will get drowsy when I am in the audience for a show, but when you are on stage there is this electricity running through your system. It's kind of dorky, but I also love how really strict they are with their schedule. We have a little over a month to learn a show and get it on stage. People show up early and the minute we are supposed to start we do. It's different from my music experiences in the past."
    "You put down that they pay you $32 an hour for your time?"
    "Before taxes"
    "Before taxes. Well, we wouldn't be in a position to pay you as much"
    "I wouldn't expect you to. The pay there sounds like a lot but it balances out when you look at the hours. There are weeks where we are only called for 4-6 hours."
    "Ah. It seemed strange that you would be applying for this job if you were making so much"
    "Exactly. You don't really start making money doing this kind of stuff until you start landing real roles"
    "Okay. You've also listed a church that you work at. Are you a religious person?"
    "There are times when I am amazed I don't burst into flames while singing there"
    "And you listed the pay there as $50 an hour"
    "That sounds like a lot, but I am actually hoping they give me a raise sometime soon. They have been keeping the wages at that point for several years now."
    "And you are still currently at this location?"
    "Yep. Another music job with barely any hours"
    "So you're looking for a job with more stable hours, even if the pay isn't as good?"
    "Well, if the hours were stable and the pay would be higher I'd be thrilled"
    "Hah."
    ":|"
    ":|"

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want a job that gives me 50 bucks an hour and doesn't involve another man's dick

Me Too! on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    was it at that point he subtly unzipped his fly?

the wook on
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I asked this in another job thread and people said "call centers" and "filing" but I just wanted to ask again to get some more opinions: what is a job that would go well for someone that works extremely well with ritualized environments? I am really good at doing things when they are ritualized and I probably would do really well at filing or organizing things in an office, I just don't know what or HOW to get those jobs really, or what other jobs are out there that are like those.

uberneko on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Be a telemarketer
    Move to India and be a tech-support phone line dude

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the wook wrote: »
    was it at that point he subtly unzipped his fly?

It was at that point that he asked if I had any job experience in restaurants, and when I said no he said that they only wanted people with at least a years experience because the place is classy

Like an Applebees

It took so much restraint not to laugh

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had a job interview yesterday

Before I left for it I ate something that I later found out had peanut sauce in it

I'm allergic to peanuts

I spent the whole interview trying not to vomit

Then when I got home I broke out in hives

God, friday ruled

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You should work at circuit city if you enjoy being rewarded for all your hard work with layoffs.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I worked at Circuit City when I was 19.

It was all sorts of fun.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Just got back from my first workday at CC and yeah it blows. Selling shit to people all day and haggling and everyone around me was worrying about making sales deadlines or some shit.

I just want to work at Starbucks. Seems like a much simpler and more fun job, making drinks all day beats walking around aimlessly asking customers if they need help and being told what to do over an earpiece microphone.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Working at Starbucks seems like it would be simple, but ask Redi to make a list of the things he will usually order and you'll see why it is a pain in the ass

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to work at Starbucks if I didn't have to deal with people

That applies to any job, really

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fiz wrote: »
    Working at Starbucks seems like it would be simple, but ask Redi to make a list of the things he will usually order and you'll see why it is a pain in the ass

Look, if that asshole didn't want my tall sugar-free non-fat vanilla latte thrown in his face he should've made it right in the first place

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The good thing about working in my church job and in opera houses is that I don't actually have to interact with my customers. They show up, sit down, throw some money my way, then leave.

That is how it should work in every job

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Having someone screen your calls is the best thing ever.

It's fun to spend the entire day in 'meetings' and actually get work done.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Fiz wrote: »

Look, if that asshole didn't want my tall sugar-free non-fat vanilla latte thrown in his face he should've made it right in the first place

"AND WHERE IS MY POWDERED SUGAR ON TOP?! GOD DAMN IT"

I think that is the part that the Police really got caught up on

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I ran out of the store before they could arrest me, so I guess justice was served

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg