As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you pay for a taxi?

Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am about to go to Dallas and last time I was there they were trying to charge me $60 for a 20 minute ride to the airport, which to me sounds ridiculous but that was the first time I had ever heard the price for a taxi. I am going to try and haggle them down this time, it won't cost more than $4 in gas but I know that isn't too important, the drive is 20 minutes which costs them but they are going to the airport so I am sure they can get business their.

From the sounds of it the taxi shouldn't be expensive at all really, how much should I pay for it?

Fizban140 on

• Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    There is a meter. You pay what ends up on the meter... a ride to downtown Austin from my house is about 10 miles and it costs maybe $30. I imagine Dallas is similar.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some cab companies have flat rates for taking you to the airport, but generally with any fare, what happens is you get in the cab and they turn the meter on, and the longer the ride takes the more it costs. You can't negotiate with the meter.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh...I should have known that. I will just take one of the airport shuttles or try and split the taxi with some not-so-scary people at the bus station.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cab rates are set by law. Limousine/town car rates are not, but they are usually prohibited from picking people up at airports, and the drivers do it anyway. To find a limo go near the cab stand and look for men from Africa, the Middle East, Afghanistan or Pakistan in black suits who clearly have nothing better to do than stand around near the cab stand. These are the drivers, get their attention and they’ll offer to drive you.

supabeast on
  • Options
    HorizonXPHorizonXP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    supabeast wrote: »
    Cab rates are set by law. Limousine/town car rates are not, but they are usually prohibited from picking people up at airports, and the drivers do it anyway. To find a limo go near the cab stand and look for men from Africa, the Middle East, Afghanistan or Pakistan in black suits who clearly have nothing better to do than stand around near the cab stand. These are the drivers, get their attention and they’ll offer to drive you.

Nice. I love how it's the same deal in Toronto too.

The US and Canada, you don't negotiate taxi rates. In Mexico, you do. And boy, is it fun!

HorizonXP on
    HorizonXP.png
  • Options
    Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    With cabs to/from an airport, you have to watch out because if you are taking the cab outside its normal area of operation, a big charge will get added to your meter total. (Sure he could get more business at the airport, but if he's less familiar with that area, then that airport business really isn't that good for him, and he needs to go all the way back across the metroplex to get where he's supposed to be). Usually there are signs/stickers posted in the cab that explain what the add-on charges are, but you'll need to ask the driver if any apply to where you're going.

When you first talk to the driver, always make sure he understands where you're going, and ask him what it should cost. Don't count on it to be exactly right, but if it isn't close, you have a right to be pissed.

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    if you don't want to spend that much, just take an airport shuttle... it usually costs ~$20 but the ride is considerably longer since you have to wait while others are dropped off

illig on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    illig wrote: »
    if you don't want to spend that much, just take an airport shuttle... it usually costs ~$20 but the ride is considerably longer since you have to wait while others are dropped off
    This isn't necessarily true. From SeaTac, a shuttle to my apartment is $40ish, a cab to my apartment is $50.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just because of the meter talk, I feel it's worth it to throw in that in Philly the cabs have a weird zone thing, and they charge according to where they drive, not how far. This means a few blocks can wind up being more expensive than a few miles.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me and one of my mates split a cab back from a night in town. Adelaide to Elizabeth for 2 people is usually $40 for 25 km. We got a cab, he left me $20, but in the end at my house the total cost was $80. I was pissed but what can you do? Say i'm not paying it? Hell, they know where you live.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When/where are you coming/going to in Dallas? I could give you a lift for $20 if you aren't going across the f'in Metroplex. I'm in Lewisville, about 15 minutes from DFW. Are you coming into DFW or Love Field?

Oh, and it depends on the flight time lol.

1ddqd on