As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So ... I smashed my PSP screen in. How much is this going to set me back?

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
I bought the damn thing less than three months ago so maybe it's still under warrenty? I doubt that an imploded screen is covered though D:

Here's the irony ... I'm in Detroit right now for a wedding, acutally using the business centre internet just so I could share my misery with all of you. This was the first time I'd taken my PSP on the road. Car was a tight fit with all of us squeezzed in, I had the PSP in a "protective" soft sleeve placed in a bag. I think I might have stepped on the bag getting out of the car.

I didn't even realize it was broken until I turned it on to play Space Invaders. The screen looks all cracked when turned on (like a bullet hit it with cracks coming out of that spot) with messed up graphic pixallation, but the outside glass is not cracked at all (is there a second glass screen inside?)

I'm pretty bummed out right now. Anyone have any idea how much this will cost to fix?

Bamelin on

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Less then 3 months ago? Yeah it's still gonna be under warranty just call Sony and they SHOULD get it fixed at no charge.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm unsure where the purchase receipt even is, but you can be sure when I get back to Toronto I'm going to be looking for it. Usually I don't throw that sort of thing out, but finding it is going to be a bitch.

You really think they'll repair it under the warrenty? I mean when you turn it on it's obvious something impacted the screen

Bamelin on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I did the same thing recently. If you bought the older model PC the screen will run you about $35-40 to replace, but if it's the new one you're looking at around $75. This is assuming you can change the screen yourself. It's really not that hard, but I've been tinkering with electronics for a about ten years.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    You really think they'll repair it under the warrenty? I mean when you turn it on it's obvious something impacted the screen

My roommate threw his laptop off our third story balcony when he was mad at it. Before he sent it in, they asked him if it had ever been dropped. When he got it back it was a newer core two-duo laptop with Vista and lots of bells and whistles that his older one didn't have. I don't know how smart these people are.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Bamelin wrote: »

My roommate threw his laptop off our third story balcony when he was mad at it. Before he sent it in, they asked him if it had ever been dropped. When he got it back it was a newer core two-duo laptop with Vista and lots of bells and whistles that his older one didn't have. I don't know how smart these people are.

My dad got my sister a low end laptop for college. It was still in the box and the warranty was a year so my mother decided to call for her when she dropped it.

This, despite knowing it had 'fallen off the truck'. They never said anything about it and replaced it.

You might able to repair it yourself, I did it when my Ipod screen sprung a leak

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just dont mention any of the steppyness, just tell them the screen is broken and you are not sure how. Most stores have a 90 day warranty on products, I would try this first. I once dropped a camera from a foot off the ground, it hit a coffee table at just the wrong spot and it cracked the screen, it was replaced with no problem.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm definately going to give seeing if I can use the warrenty a try. It's the newer model, I'd rather not spend 75 dollars if I have to.

I have to say those these PSP's are not very sturdy. Usually when I break something I'm aware of it, in this case I honestly am not sure what exactly I did to crack the screen like this.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hopefully you can get it fixed for free. If I were you I might wait till the psp-3000 comes out and see if your 2000 can use a 3000's replacement screen.

As far as sturdiness, they might not stand up to stepping on, but I dropped my psp into a glass full of dirty water, (was in the sink) the right hand side of my psp was fully submerged. Yet after opening and drying it out, it came away working with only the "start" button giving me problems. I later fixed that with a $8 part.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.