As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cellphones!

S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red SquadBellevue, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
My only complaint with PAX so far (other than that my mom is making me leave at like 8:30 because she gets too worried) is that from 4-6 today my Cellphone have Full signal, but the network was busy (At&t).

Just a random thing I felt like posting.

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
S2000Gan on

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    crazy, i have sprint and didn't get that at all. i'm sure your problem is caused by all the iphones out there!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • November6November6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wonder if that's why I can't get a hold of kazuo. I have an iPhone and can make calls but it's weak.

November6 on
    fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I doubt the iPhone is the only problem, not everyone has an iPhone.
    I'm guessing it's mainly just because At&t has the most users.
    Since those smaller/less popular providers don't have as many users their Networks doesn't get slammed as hard.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i think there are more people with an iphone at pax than people without an iphone lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Drew4484Drew4484 Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    As an AT&T employee, I'm getting a real kick out of these replies..
    Oh, wait, wrong board for that.

Drew4484 on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Im getting the same problem up here by Expo. Trying to make a call is kind of fail. Id have full signal but the call would not go through or I would get a "network is busy" thing.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It seems kind of unlikely that something like PAX could actually affect the AT&T network. The only times I've ever seen prolonged "network is busy" issues is when AT&T has widespread service interruption or there's some natural disaster / terrorist attack / phelps got another medal.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • adio92adio92 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It might have been just a weird occurrence. Cause ive heard AT@T is better than T-mobile and i had full service on my t-mobile phone all day.

adio92 on
    xXAdio92Xx.png
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It seems kind of unlikely that something like PAX could actually affect the AT&T network. The only times I've ever seen prolonged "network is busy" issues is when AT&T has widespread service interruption or there's some natural disaster / terrorist attack / phelps got another medal.

I dunno. I think it was, in the very least, kinda AT&T-centric, considering all the complaints thus far have been in that direction. Mid-day Saturday, I couldn't get a call out for around an hour, but I borrowed a friend's Sprint phone and the call went right out.

Now, I can't verify that it was AT&T, but... I dunno, I guess I wouldn't have been too surprised, either?
    adio92 wrote: »
    It might have been just a weird occurrence. Cause ive heard AT@T is better than T-mobile and i had full service on my t-mobile phone all day.

Around here, in the very least, AT&T is better than T-Mobile. I just switched from T-M about a month ago, and their network around here is pretty mediocre.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't the iPhone have a known issue with making calls?

I haven't had any issues with Verizon.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Doesn't the iPhone have a known issue with making calls?

I haven't had any issues with Verizon.

I dont have an iphone :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If the local tower is very congested, then it could definitely cause a problem. But I don't believe that it would show as low signal on a handset.

GeeCee on
  • SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My HTC Touch Pro on ATT (ironically, using an iPhone 3G sim card) worked just fine. Even in the elevators.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zyphlarzyphlar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah OP, you might check your phone or SIM card. My ATT Blackberry worked 100% all weekend.

zyphlar on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had a different problem with cell phones. The sheer number of people attending panels who didn't silence them!!! Not only is it distracting and rude, but a lot of panels the speakers were kind-of soft spoken, and a cell phone going off would make it hard to understand them. And you would think when the first person's phone went off, everyone else would go "oh, I should silence mine", but nope.

Dreamwriter on
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The 3G sucked in a lot of places, particularly handheld lounge A, which kinda sucked because that's where I felt like watching random YouTube videos the most. I had to either use paxnet which... was okay, or EDGE. Oh well.

Psychoish on
  • Shoot-ManShoot-Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My 3G was working most of the time, but twice I had to go use the frikkin' pay phone to contact my friends at the expo. And what's funnier than a guy using a pay phone while messing with an iPhone is the fact that the people using the other 3 are doing the same damn thing.

Sigh... Att fails.

Shoot-Man on
    There are men who shoot, and then there is Shoot-Man!

"I am compelled to shoot!"
  • LunarbunnyLunarbunny Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I've got a Pantech C3 on AT&T and I had like 2 deadzone problems all weekend, one near the PC tourney reg table and one in the back of the expo hall. All my text messages and calls went in and out fine.

Lunarbunny on
  • EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am on T-Mo and I didn't have any problems at all. #2 for the win!

Earley on
  • Solid_SteveSolid_Steve Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Earley wrote: »
    I am on T-Mo and I didn't have any problems at all. #2 for the win!

Same here. I usually don't like the spotty coverage with T-Mobile, but it served me well at PAX.

Solid_Steve on
    Along the shore the cloud waves break,
    The twin suns sink beneath the lake,
    The shadows lengthen
    In Carcosa.
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think all the canadians are going to go with the "fuck american cellphone fees", as our phones either didn't work, got raped in roaming fees, exorbitant call fees, and txts which either never were sent or recieved.

I burned through $30 of airtime in about 10 txts and two 2 minute phone calls to quickly organise where to meet up.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No problems here at all, and I was making calls and texting on AT&T all weekend. There was once when I got the "network unavailable" signal up, but I assumed it was my craptacular phone, and by the time I removed and replaced the SIM card, it was fine again.

Royale Wih Cheese on
This discussion has been closed.