As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax 2008 concert mosh

dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
this is bullshit. me, my friend and 3 others where moshing lastnight and the enforcers old us to stop. i mean....what kind of shit is that!??? its a fucking concert!!! we are gonna mosh. that just ruined my pax concert experience im sorry.

officially the lamest concert night ever

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
sig_dragonx.jpg
dragon keeper x on

• SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    half the people around you are carrying about.... 500 dollars worth electronics in their pockets....

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • twtmctwtmc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wrong place and venue for it. I would like to see the crowd more into it too, but you can't exactly blame the enforcers for looking out for the best interests of the majority, most of whom have cell phones, portable consoles, cameras, laptops, etc.

twtmc on
  • GameOver!GameOver! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had a damn good time. If not being able to run around in circles ruins you experience then theres something wrong.

GameOver! on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Because thrashing around and hitting people who don't want to is totally cool. And totally applicable to the music of somebody such as, say, Jonathan Coulton.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Fo0dNippl4Fo0dNippl4 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This thread happens every year. A few moshing amongst many is not fun for all.

Fo0dNippl4 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rocket TacoRocket Taco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Last year someone posted about this. Apparently an enforcer told them the WSCTC said not to do it. Apparently PA isn't insured if someone gets hurt doing it?

Also, like everyone else has said... I had a DS, PSP, cellphone, and MP3 player in my pants. So actually that's more like $800.

Rocket Taco on
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The 'no moshing' rule is not an old rule with regards to PAX concerts. The rule is set up so that everyone that wants to go can enjoy the concerts without the possibility of a mosh pit gone awry causing them any problems. There are other reasons beyond that, but honestly, it's 4am, and after spending way too long waiting for the Minibosses to close out, I need a nap.

I'm sorry that you can't enjoy music without a mosh pit, and that you feel it ruined your concert experience, but several thousand people didn't seem to have the same problem. PAX isn't exactly your typical concert experience in the first place, though.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, moshing when nobody else wants to violates rule #1 of PAX.
    You do know Bumbershoot is just down the street, right?

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not big on moshing but I have to say these were the strangest concerts I've been too. Not many people seemed into the music at all and a bunch of them were playing DSs in the middle of the crowd.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Randomfool wrote: »
    I'm not big on moshing but I have to say these were the strangest concerts I've been too. Not many people seemed into the music at all and a bunch of them were playing DSs in the middle of the crowd.

I admit, I'm usually part of the shield wall up front, so I haven't been able to see further back, but I guess this doesn't surprise me that much. Some people are all about getting right up front to watch the musicians, some people just enjoy listening to the music. A nerd convention is hardly the typical sort of concert experience.

Long as people are having fun, though, however they choose to do it.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • Mr. Bawls JanglesMr. Bawls Jangles Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really enjoyed the concerts. A couple of my friends started to mosh, the enforcers told them to stop, so they stopped. That didn't stop us from rocking out the rest of the night. All-in-all I think the concerts were a lot better this year than last. It would have been nice to hear more of MC Frontalot, but the 2 or so hours of Minibosses totally made up for it.

Mr. Bawls Jangles on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay so while I was filming the concert from the far back, I saw somebody up front crowd surfing for a few minutes, and it was epic. Was that one of you? I'm going though the footage right now, if I happen to see it I'll post a pic or something.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

PAX runs from 10 in the morning until 2 in the morning, or even later. A good number of people there at the concert have been there since it opened. A lot of us are fucking exhausted, and the concert is a great way to wind down at the end of the day, listening to kickass music performed by the musicians live, while playing, zomg! games, at a gaming convention.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I admit, I've only been two years now and both times I found the lack of dancing a little surreal. But you know, that's PAX.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Fo0dNippl4Fo0dNippl4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want to say that I don't mind bouncing to the music or doing that jump-ish thing where your toes don't leave the floor. There was a group of guys near me that started doing just that during the Omegathon round on Saturday and one accidentally stepped on a guy's toes. Now, I can understand a, "Ow, hey, man, can you not do that anymore?" Or something reasonable. This guy, though, nearly flipped out. "Hey, cut it the FUCK out, asshole." or some such crap.
    Then some other guys tried starting a fight with the dancing dudes. Calling them names and loudly making fun of them. Some people, man.

Fo0dNippl4 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really enjoyed the concerts. A couple of my friends started to mosh, the enforcers told them to stop, so they stopped. That didn't stop us from rocking out the rest of the night. All-in-all I think the concerts were a lot better this year than last. It would have been nice to hear more of MC Frontalot, but the 2 or so hours of Minibosses totally made up for it.

yeah i was right by you guy last year. You had that one chick that was twirling her hair around really crazy last year right?

...i THINK I was right by you guys again this year.

Top right? Right behind the guy who operates the sound boards?

xxhennersxx on
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is a lot of people In front of you in the VIP Area, that dont want to get push in to, thats why they dont want you to mosh get over it..

Soda241 on
  • SimplicitySimplicity Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

yeah i was right by you guy last year. You had that one chick that was twirling her hair around really crazy last year right?

Yeah that was us haha. Sorry if I hit you with my hair =]

Simplicity on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    this is bullshit. me, my friend and 3 others where moshing lastnight and the enforcers old us to stop. i mean....what kind of shit is that!??? its a fucking concert!!! we are gonna mosh. that just ruined my pax concert experience im sorry.

Were you the really drunk/exuberant in the middle-right? The moshing wasn't really what the people around you wanted to deal with, dude - sometimes you have to give in to the mood of the room.

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2008

PAX runs from 10 in the morning until 2 in the morning, or even later. A good number of people there at the concert have been there since it opened. A lot of us are fucking exhausted, and the concert is a great way to wind down at the end of the day, listening to kickass music performed by the musicians live, while playing, zomg! games, at a gaming convention.

True, I know at the end of the night I was barely standing.

I just found it strange that there were people in the middle of the crowd playing FF Tactics who seemed to be completely ignoring everything around them.

Moshes are really only useful to me as a way to get closer to the stage. It's so easy to just skirt the edge and end up right in front. Without many people rocking out I didn't get very far.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fo0dNippl4 wrote: »
    This thread happens every year. A few moshing amongst many is not fun for all.
    Thank god. I think we finally finished the set of yearly threads.

-mosh vs no mosh
    -dating thread
    -where's my badge
    -missed connections
    -THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH PAX CHANGE IT

I miss any?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    Moshes are really only useful to me as a way to get closer to the stage. It's so easy to just skirt the edge and end up right in front. Without many people rocking out I didn't get very far.
    This is a new one to me. Moshing allows you to cut ahead of people who waited for hours in line? And since you're in the front it'd be distracting from the actual show? That's pretty awesome. I was about to make a comment that you can mosh in the open spaces in the back where no one is (not the chairs area, the back at the left side of the stage), but you already had a great answer as to why not.

Not about FFTA2, but most people with DSes on are like this:

no DS:
    1:HEY!

2:WHAT?!

1:I SAID HEY!

2:OH, HEY.

1:WHAT?

DS:
    1:*DS on, starts pictochat
    1:*Joins a room
    1:*waits a reallllllly long time for lag to end as a new person joins
    1:[types]Hey this band is pretty good I love this song, but they should play excitebike for reals.
    2: I agree.
    1:*Draws picture of a wang
    2:draws a excitewang going over a wang ramp
    1:draws a wangbike overheating, again

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    This is a new one to me. Moshing allows you to cut ahead of people who waited for hours in line? And since you're in the front it'd be distracting from the actual show? That's pretty awesome. I was about to make a comment that you can mosh in the open spaces in the back where no one is (not the chairs area, the back at the left side of the stage), but you already had a great answer as to why not.

Not about FFTA2, but most people with DSes on are like this:

I didn't mean to imply that I was moshing. I just making my way through the circle that inevitably develops around the moshers. All the movement opens up lots of spaces to move forward.

Randomfool on

B4o6XD4.png
    edited September 2008
    still cutting in front of people that waited hours. But me saying that makes me a hypocrit, since I jump openings to get ahead of the crowd as well :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If I'd known there was moshing, I would have been in there.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    still cutting in front of people that waited hours. But me saying that makes me a hypocrit, since I jump openings to get ahead of the crowd as well :D

See, that's a completely abnormal ethos - most concerts, whoever pushes to the front gets to stand in the front. People that go to a lot of other live music would look at you like a three-headed snail if you told them they should just stand behind the people that were first in line.

JohnnyCache on
    edited September 2008

See, that's a completely abnormal ethos - most concerts, whoever pushes to the front gets to stand in the front. People that go to a lot of other live music would look at you like a three-headed snail if you told them they should just stand behind the people that were first in line.
    Sup. Welcome to pax. Don't be a dick.

Most of PAX is a completely abnormal ethos, I believe.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    Simplicity wrote: »

lol you didn't, i didn't mind you guys. my friend got kinda annoyed last year though =\

but yeah this year I was the kid with the Red Keytar on my back.

xxhennersxx on
  • WonkoTheSaneWonkoTheSane Registered User new member
    edited September 2008

No, the bullshit was you and your hyperactive little friends repeatedly slamming into me, my girlfriend, and the guy next to us who was carrying a camera and lens combo which I would guess were worth about $2000, and everybody else who just wanted to be there and have fun without being randomly assaulted by obnoxious children.

By all means, bounce around all you want, but the instant you bounce into someone who's not involved you're being a total dickwad.

Props to the Enforcers who came over and enforced the "don't be a dick / don't punch" rules.

*grumble* I didn't really want my first post in this forum to be bitching at someone, but I had to reply to this.

WonkoTheSane on
    edited September 2008

No, the bullshit was you and your hyperactive little friends repeatedly slamming into me, my girlfriend, and the guy next to us who was carrying a camera and lens combo which I would guess were worth about $2000, and everybody else who just wanted to be there and have fun without being randomly assaulted by obnoxious children.

By all means, bounce around all you want, but the instant you bounce into someone who's not involved you're being a total dickwad.

Props to the Enforcers who came over and enforced the "don't be a dick / don't punch" rules.

*grumble* I didn't really want my first post in this forum to be bitching at someone, but I had to reply to this.

quoted for truth. if you wanna mosh, head up a few blocks to eastlake ave and hit up El Corazon.

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008

lol you didn't, i didn't mind you guys. my friend got kinda annoyed last year though =\

Aww well tell him I'm sorry please haha. And yeah I saw you this year too =] I was actually right next to you when a guy was like yelling about how awesome it was and how he wanted to know where you got it haha.

Simplicity on
    edited September 2008

Aww well tell him I'm sorry please haha. And yeah I saw you this year too =] I was actually right next to you when a guy was like yelling about how awesome it was and how he wanted to know where you got it haha.

lol yeah I got a ton of compliments and people wanted pictures of me with it. I was like "rly? I just...wanted it to get signed." sunday i was like 'whatever! attention yay!' so I carried it all day. Unfortunatly liz signature is starting to rub.

next year I'll probly carry it around, and/or a different keytar. be easier to spot me for people that i talk to/and or play games with.

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008
    I agree I with some people in this thread about no moshing, by moshing i mean actual moshing, like thrashing running around and punching people, that just doesn't really work at PAX concerts, and it hurts. But bouncing (without hitting people) shouldn't be a problem. Bouncing up and down to show that you love a band is somewhat expected. You are at a concert. Have some fun, get in the rhythm! Show the bands some love! BUT. Whatever you do, please don't sit in the middle of the damn crowd playing your DS. There are areas on the outside of the crowd so that you can sit down and not be in the way of people's feet. It's really for your own safety :].

For those of you who like dancing, without the moshing, come to the top right side of the concerts next year. We're always welcoming new people into our dancing group! We constantly have people moving around, dancing and yelling and showing love to the bands like crazy too! There is always room, so you wont get your feet stepped on either! Feel free to come join us!

Simplicity on
    edited September 2008
    I agree I with some people in this thread about no moshing, by moshing i mean actual moshing, like thrashing running around and punching people, that just doesn't really work at PAX concerts, and it hurts. But bouncing (without hitting people) shouldn't be a problem. Bouncing up and down to show that you love a band is somewhat expected. You are at a concert. Have some fun, get in the rhythm! Show the bands some love! BUT. Whatever you do, please don't sit in the middle of the damn crowd playing your DS. There are areas on the outside of the crowd so that you can sit down and not be in the way of people's feet. It's really for your own safety :].

For those of you who like dancing, without the moshing, come to the top right side of the concerts next year. We're always welcoming new people into our dancing group! We constantly have people moving around, dancing and yelling and showing love to the bands like crazy too! There is always room, so you wont get your feet stepped on either! Feel free to come join us!

i think i go to the top right of the stage because of some sort of OCD. My friends pointed it out, everytime there was some sort of crowd type thing (omegathon last year, the concerts, etc) i would go to the top right.

so i went to the top left for this years omegathon...

xxhennersxx on
    edited September 2008

i think i go to the top right of the stage because of some sort of OCD. My friends pointed it out, everytime there was some sort of crowd type thing (omegathon last year, the concerts, etc) i would go to the top right.

so i went to the top left for this years omegathon...

Haha, well next year go back to the right :P

Simplicity on
  • PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, I noticed that part of the crowd was the craziest and I wished I had been there. I guess I know next year. :P

Psychoish on
  • Mr. Bawls JanglesMr. Bawls Jangles Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, as a few people noticed, I do pass out Bawls to people who dance with us (if I have any extra on me). Just a little motivation for y'all to visit simplicity and I next year :P

Mr. Bawls Jangles on
    edited September 2008
    Also, as a few people noticed, I do pass out Bawls to people who dance with us (if I have any extra on me). Just a little motivation for y'all to visit simplicity and I next year :P

2 years in a row and i don't get one ? :P

xxhennersxx on
  • Shoot-ManShoot-Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Um, I respect anyone's right to mosh just as much as the next guy, but seriously, I have to ask, "What the heck were you trying to mosh to?" Neither concert had anyone doing anything hard or even fast-paced enough to really justify a mosh. Even the Minibosses weren't really "rocking out" to the required level...

I have to say, though, with the amount of electronics, laptops, and just plain swag littered around that concert floor, moshing is potentially more destructive than at your run-of-the-mill rock show.

But seriously, OP, "ruined your experience"? You put way too much weight on inflicting unwanted random violence on people. You may want to get that checked out...

Shoot-Man on
    There are men who shoot, and then there is Shoot-Man!

"I am compelled to shoot!"
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I thought that was one of the coolest aspects of the PAX concerts. I was rocking out to the OneUps while playing Mario Kart on Friday night. Where else could you listen to live music while playing video games? The people that were close to the stage were really into the music, everyone else was enjoying the music in their own way. To each, his own.

And for the record one of the moshers banged into me on Saturday night and almost knocked me onto my ass. So I appreciated the Enforcers breaking it up.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
This discussion has been closed.