As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Book Collecting Thread NSF56K

Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Graphic Violence
Here we post our comic collections, including single issues, trades or anything comic related that is in or a part of some sort of colllection.

To start off, these are my trades and hardcovers (Warning: Shitty Cell Phone Camera Quality)

Image016.jpg
The Batman Archives, Batman In World's Finest Archives, The Dark Knight, The Golden Age Green Lantern and The Superman Archives Vol 1
Showcase Presents: Batman Vol. 1, Superman Vol. 1
Batman Chronicles Vol. 1-5
Superman Chronicles Vol. 1
Batman Year One
The Man Who Laughs
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joke
A Death In The Family
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Knightfall Vol. 1-2
Hush Vol. 1-2
Face The Face
Batman: Detective and Death And The City
Batman And Son HC
The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul HC
All Star Batman Vol. 1 HC
The Dark Knight Returns
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Crisis On Infinite Earths
Green Arrow Vol. 1
Green Lantern Rebirth
Green Lantern Corps. Recharge
Sinestro Corps War Vol. 1-2
Identity Crisis
Infinite Crisis
The Greatest Stories Ever Told: The Joker
Justice Vol. 1
JLA Volume 1-2
Justice Society Of America: Volume 1-2
Kingdom Come
Robin: Year One
All Star Superman Volume 1
Watchmen
Marvel Essentials: Daredevil Vol. 1, Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1-2
New Avengers Vol. 1
Marvel Visionaries: Daredevil: Frank Miller Vol. 1
Spider-Man: Back In Black
Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection
Sin City Vol 1, 4

And of course the longbox:

Image014.jpg

And finally my two favorite comics that I own:

Image015.jpg

So that's all I have...What about you? Do you collect only Trades, only Hardcovers, only issues? Do you have a massive library of back issues dating back years? What about that one comic that you own that you value more than all the others?

My color is black to the blind
Futt Bucker on

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My roommate went to Italy and brought me back a Batman/The Spirit graphic novel in Italian. It's pretty damn cool, though I'm having to translate it pretty slowly.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got an original copy of the first x-men comic ever

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have a whole lot, but my grandfather promised me his original, sealed copy of Action Comics #1. I love my grandpa.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    man I don't collect comics, I read them

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No pictures, but I've got two shelves full of TPBs and hardcovers, eight longboxes filled with assorted full (or close to it) runs of various series, and a few things I keep in a small fireproof safe; Captain Atom #83, Avengers #195, Blue Beetle #1, and Defenders of Dynatron City #1, the first comic my mom ever bought for me, which is now ragged as all Hell.

I'm not really big on the collector mentality though; I keep full runs of stuff that aren't available in TPB because I love reading the books, but the only things I really collect are first appearances of characters I really like. Though I do like owning quirky, weird shit that's not widely available. I'm still trying to get my hands on some original Stardust the Super Wizard comics.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got about two longboxes full of comics, nothing old though. My tpb/hardcover collection is about 3-4 feet long and I just got back from Dragon Con which added a few more inches to it. My monthly pull list was getting out of hand so by December I'll be down to 10 ongoings a month. I do plan on trade-waiting for stuff like Daredevil and Nova and getting the occasional collected mini-series.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man I don't collect comics, I read them

I don't read the script, the script reads me.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hmmm

I have every Cerebus Phonebook

ummmm a solid run of Batman from about 390something to 550something as well as a 150+ run of Detective from the same time frame.

I'm working on finishing complete collections of Shadow of the Bat and Legends of The Dark Knight.

My favorite issues I own are Batman #93, #103, #108 (featuring the amazing Batman Jones), #126 and #166

-non Batman related-

Watchmen #'s 1-12

I actually own 12 copies of Watchmen #2 .... The Wonderbook and Video had 1 copy of Issues 1 and 3-12, but 12 copies of #2 .... for 10 cents each.

I figured what the heck

I have every issue of Warlord. #'s 1-133, all 6 Annuals, First Edition #8 (Warlord's First Appearance) the 6 Issue mini series, the 10 Issue (god fucking awful) reintro of the series, and Green Arrow #27 and #28 which are awesome. Also, I have the TPB of the first 10 (or was it 12) Issues.

I'll try and grab pictures tomorrow of my Dad's collection (I think 12 long boxes and about that many short).

He's got some really really cool stuff.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll post my list when I get home later today. I've got 4 mostly full long boxes and a full short box of singles, plus something like 50 TPBs, manga, and digests.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well I took some pics of my collection and my Dads but my camera crapped out halfway through my Dads collection and I couldn't find his really valuable ones (Brave and Bold 28 for example). Ah well, I'll put em up tonight anyway hehe

Xaquin on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm deciding whether I should add the Marvel Boy hardcover coming out this month to my collection. I've already read it but it's just so damn good not to own.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I have half a longbox of stuff from the late 70's/early 80's over at dad's, but the important stuff, for me, is in my room here
    Full run of Micronauts, most of ROM, all 18 of the original Star Trek comics, the first appearance of Iron Fist in Marvel Premiere, and the first issue of Moon Knight
    The rest of my stuff is newer, the only things in that that I really care about are my issues of The Tick

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got a bunch of hardcovers without dust jackets. I think the dust jackets look tacky, and I prefer the durability of an HC. What I can't get in HC, I'll get in TPB if I need it. I have very few singles as I hate storing them.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oops, I forgot all about saying I'd upload some pictures, but here they are a few days late.

Here is my collection. The 4 long boxes are nothing but Batman Family titles (1.5 are Batman, 1 is Detective Comics, and the other 1.5 is Robin, Shadow of the Bat, Legends of The Dark Knight, Nightwing, and Huntress along with various one shots). The short box on the left is every issue of Warlord ever and the other short box is various Transmetropolitan, Watchmen, Flaming Carrot, and Fish Police, etc. etc.

img6893jz6.jpg

Here are my favorite 6 comics in my collection. Batman #93, #103, #108, #126, #166 and #196

img6894cg4.jpg

Close up of #93

img6895gm4.jpg

Close up of #103

img6898dm3.jpg

Close up of #108 (Best Batman story ever possibly)

img6896tn7.jpg

Close up of #166 (one of my all time favorite covers)

img6901ju0.jpg

On to my Father's Collection .... which is way cooler and more extensive than mine.

Lets see here, I see boxes devoted to Green Lantern, The Flash, Legion of Super Heros, and Teen Titans, The Phantom and Worlds Finest .... among other cool things.

img6908ap0.jpg

Long Boxes for X-Men, Spiderman, Iron Man, Superman and Action Comics. Also 10 long boxes full of misc. stuff. Somewhere in there is every issue of Groo the Wanderer which are all awesome.

img6909bv7.jpg

A couple of Bat Boxes

img6910po7.jpg

This is a Big Little Book .... but not just any Big Little Book. This is the first appearance of The Phantom in comic bookesque form. It was actually printed before the first Phantom sunday strip in 1936 (or 1937) (the Big Little Book is from 1936 though) and the printers got the color of his costume wrong. I got this for my Dad 4 years ago for Christmas (haven't been able to top it yet).

img6913dv1.jpg

My Dad really really likes the Phantom

img6914ch1.jpg

A Klingon Warbird on top of Outdoor Life on top of Full Batman and Worlds Finest Comics surrounded by Mark Twain paperbacks. I could sit in this room and be happy for years.

img6916xp9.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God Damn, that Phantom Comic has some awesome cover art.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some stuff- spoilered for huge. Just picked up a bunch of stuff from this shop in town that has TONS of old comics.
    Crisis on Infinite Earths-
    p9080511nv1.jpg

Flash #123
    p9080514he9.jpg

p9080516pd5.jpg

Various flashes, Barry Allen
    p9080517ko9.jpg

p9080519sd2.jpg
    #175, 177
    p9080518nh4.jpg

OMAC 1-8
    p9080520wn6.jpg

I also have almost every Wally West comic- missing about 5.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    mugginns i was going to make fun of the ironic way the flash obscured the cover of the flash #123, but you have all the omac issues and that's awesome

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah I couldn't get a good shot of the Flash #123 :|

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Where do you get those boxes with the symbols on them
    Wouldn't mind picking up a Spider-box, since that's the only exclusive box I have

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Muggins, that is an awesome Flash collection you have.

Do you have all of Wally West in the Teen Titans?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind picking up a Spider-box, since that's the only exclusive box I have

my Dad made em all

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Muggins, that is an awesome Flash collection you have.

Do you have all of Wally West in the Teen Titans?
    That is a good idea, I should check that out, heh. I started collecting the Wally West vol 2 when I was at a comic-con in May - they had a ton of books and you just pick up a long box, fill it for 50$. I ended up with like 50% of the run right there. I filled what I was missing from MileHigh, and then I decided I was going to get the ones I already had in trade too. Never thought about Teen Titans though. I'd like to check out Impulse too if I can find it cheap.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really enjoyed Teen Titans (or I think it was called The New Teen Titans or New Titans or something)

The series where Dick Grayson became Nightwing.

edit: Tales of the New Teen Titans

hehe

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »

my Dad made em all

Tell him I want a Spidey box

Me Too! on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got a #1 of The Savage Sword of Conan from 1973. I've got no idea where it is unfortunately; I had my mother put it (and a bunch of other old comics, none of which I remember) in this metal lock-box thing she used to keep bank records and the like in. Then we moved house and we have no idea where that particular box ended up. I think it's somewhere in the massive pile of crap in the attic.

I've got Robin #1 somewhere as well.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't have any old, rare collectible comics. I mostly get trades nowadays, with two boxes of old single issue comics somewhere in the garage, from around 85-96 or so.

Here are some pictures of most of my trades/graphic novels/whatever:
    comics.jpg
    comics2.jpg
    comics3.jpg

Octopus Melody on