As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Official Death Magnetic Thread [New Metallica Album]

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If only happiness directly correlated to talent.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey Kagera. Tell us how you feel about the album and metallica in general.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have yet to listen to a Metallica album that I haven't liked.

Though I suspect that's because I've never ever heard anything from St. Anger.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kill 'Em All is their only good album. After that, they fall under the category of bombastic choad* rock bands.

*Is there a correct spelling for this term? I've often pondered whether was also chode.

Werdna on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's chode.

Also, you don't like puppets? I mean it's different, but it's good.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    If Hammet took part in writing the music again, maybe it'll be decent. St. Anger illustrates why drummers should not be composers.

What?

Lars has been co-writing their songs since the first album.

The story, as I've heard it, is that Hammet was in rehab while St. Anger was being written, and that Ulrich did almost all of the composition, which is why it sounded pretty different (bad!) from the stuff they'd done recently.

The vast majority of their work was written by Hetfield/Ulrich, with Hammet writing the solos. Dave Mustaine was pretty involved with their early stuff, and Cliff Burton had a lot of input as well, but those two have been the core through their career. Load is actually where Hetfield loosened his dictatorial grip and let Hammet and Newsted have a more equal part in the writing process.

From the way I understand it, Hetfield would write most of the actual music and Ulrich would do most of the arrangement.

As far as my feelings on Death Magnetic, I'm somewhere between "Don't Care" and "Cautiously Optimistic". I was a huge Metallica fan from about 1991 until probably 2002. That's what I was known for among my friends, especially the musicians. They were the reason I started playing guitar and still do today. Load? Loved it. Reload? Loved it more than Load. Garage, Inc. was awesome. Hell, I even liked I Disappear. I was already kind of moving on when St Anger came out, but it just destroyed any faith I had left in them. I bought it, listened through it twice (to make sure I heard it right the first time), and never touched it again. At that point, I was pretty much done with caring about anything going on with them. To me, Metallica pretty much died when Jason Newsted left. Not that he was an integral part of "Metallica", but it was the final breath for me.

When I heard they had a new album coming out, "meh" was all I could think. Out of morbid curiosity, I started listening to these clips as they were released. Now, I'll check it out when it's released, but I'm not really putting any faith in it becoming part of my playlist. I'm kind of digging The Day That Never Comes, though....

Sir Carcass on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey Kagera. Tell us how you feel about the album and metallica in general.

Why tell you when I have choreographed an entire interpretive dance routine?

Also I like Metallica, 15 years ago Metallica.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am intrigued by this dance you speak of.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Unforgiven Three?

Seriously?

This is exactly what I thought when I was reading the track list. A radio DJ here (on the only fucking rock station in east Texas apparently) said a while ago that this album will mark the end of Metallica's music career if it sucks. Seeing "Unforgiven III" on there just makes me think they're desperate to appeal to more people.

I'm also amused at them hiring Rick Rubin to produce the album. Oh yeah guys, that's totally going to save your asses!

Even if the album turns out to be good, I hope they decide to call it quits. I mean, it's just looking to be that time.

Henroid on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of Metallica's problems has always been that after the 80s, it took them forever to release new albums. The occasional weaker album is acceptable if you release a lot of albums, because more new material is on the way soon. Basically, if you take over 5 years, then don't release anything else for another 5, the album in question better be fucking good, and not St. Anger.

Like some other people here, I'm in the 'cautiously optimistic' camp for Death Magnetic.
    Also, what ever happened to 'The New Song'? I didn't hear it in that preview.

TubularLuggage on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    The New Song and The Other New Song were pretty much cannibalized and made their way into other songs. One riff here, one riff there.

cr0w on
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was aware of this album due to the radio singles (which I have to admit sound really good), but holy shit I didn't know about the track listing. Unforgiven III? I've got my hopes up, Metallica. Don't ruin this.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wanna listen to all three Unforgiven in a row. Don't know why. Just to get the full effect of the 'trilogy'. I'm really optimistic about this album. I like the three songs they've released so far, and the samples sound awesome.

EDIT: I hope they don't try and incorporate the title into the lyrics. That would be messy. Unforgiven III wouldn't really fit in any sentence. :P

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok I don`t like what I have heard so far. In fact, it sucked. They need to call it quits before ruining what they have left of their name.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Basar wrote: »
    Ok I don`t like what I have heard so far. In fact, it sucked. They need to call it quits before ruining what they have left of their name.

Wow, Basar hates the music guys, so Metallica should just call it quits. Get over yourself, just because you don't like the music doesn't mean Metallica should quit making it, they still have fans and there will always be Metallica haters out there.

If you don't like their Death Magnetic stuff, chances are you didnt like Black-St.Anger (although Death Magnetic doesn't sound anything like Black-St. Anger to me) and they don't have any reputation to ruin with you anyways.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Really, Metallica should be shot for every one of those song titles. All of them together is worse than the holocaust.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MH79 wrote: »
    I wanna listen to all three Unforgiven in a row. Don't know why. Just to get the full effect of the 'trilogy'. I'm really optimistic about this album. I like the three songs they've released so far, and the samples sound awesome.

EDIT: I hope they don't try and incorporate the title into the lyrics. That would be messy. Unforgiven III wouldn't really fit in any sentence. :P

'Cause you're Uuuuunforgiven threeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you listen to all three in a row, you'd just remind yourself that Metallica went from good / awesome to okay to potentially terrible (if that's how this album turns out). Also, a dimensional rift into hell will open and little demons will smash your CD.

Henroid on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Napster, bad! Money, ME!
    Cuz you're unforgiven threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    -Napster, bad! Money, bore!
    -Napster, bad! Money, jive!
    -Napster, bad! Money, ticks!
    -Napster, bad! Money, heaven!
    -Napster, bad! Money, masturbate!
    -Napster, bad! Money, whine!
    -Napster, bad! Money, let's do it again!

Gim on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    Really, Metallica should be shot for every one of those song titles. All of them together is worse than the holocaust.
    seriously. All Nightmare Long sounds like some Dragonforce bullshit.

yakul on
    edited September 2008
    yakul wrote: »

That or its the sequel to Enter Sandman!

Henroid on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dragonforce is the hardest metal.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited September 2008
    Studio version of Cyanide is up on Metallica.com for your perusal. I think it sounds great.

cr0w on
  • VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cr0w wrote: »
    Studio version of Cyanide is up on Metallica.com for your perusal. I think it sounds great.

Its pretty mediocre in my opinion. Its supposed to be the weakest song on the album and it shows.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
    edited September 2008
    I'm mainly liking Hammett's solo work and Hetfield's vocals. The song itself sounds very much like it could be from the Load era, which is fine with me, since I love those albums. I just think the vocals and guitar work are fantastic.

cr0w on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    yakul wrote: »

That or its the sequel to Enter Sandman!

Sequel to Nightmare before Christmas.

jungleroomx on
    edited September 2008
    I'm mainly liking Hammett's solo work and Hetfield's vocals. The song itself sounds very much like it could be from the Load era, which is fine with me, since I love those albums. I just think the vocals and guitar work are fantastic.

I will admit the solo is awesome. The song just sounds like filler to me though.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    MH79 wrote: »

'Cause you're Uuuuunforgiven threeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you listen to all three in a row, you'd just remind yourself that Metallica went from good / awesome to okay to potentially terrible (if that's how this album turns out). Also, a dimensional rift into hell will open and little demons will smash your CD.

I'm prepared to take that risk :P

And I love Cyanide. It definitely sounds like a Load-era song, but it still has that old-Metallica sound at the same time.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Old Metallica feel for sure
    I just wish Hetfield had gone back to the lower growl-esque thing he did on the old albums
    Not a big deal but

glithert on
    edited September 2008
    So the album's been sold 2 weeks early in France. The guy who got it posted this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuUp98TuRnQ

Apparently over 100 copies were sold, so there will probably be a leak soon. For those worried about James incorporating "The Unforgiven Three" into the lyrics, this is what the guy posted in regards to the song.
    How can I be lost?
    If I got nowhere to go?
    Search for seas of gold
    How come it’s got so cold?
    How can I be lost?
    In remembrance I re-live
    And how can I blame you?
    When it’s me I can’t forgive

There’s nowhere else I can run to
    Oh I will hide within her
    There’s nowhere else I can run to
    She’s wretched but she comforts me

When the night goes hellbound and the moon does resurrect the night
    When the sun goes hellbound and the moon does resurrect the night

Not sure if that's the entire song, but I doubt it, simply because it's supposed to be almost 8 minutes long.

cr0w on
    edited September 2008
    Ok, another post.

I have the album. Only listened to TUF3 so far. Here are the lyrics.
    How could he know this new dawn's light
    Would change his life forever?
    Set sail to see but pulled off course
    By the light of golden treasure

Was he the one causing pain
    With his careless dreaming?
    Been afraid
    Always afraid
    Of the things he's feeling
    He could just be gone

He would just sail on
    He would just sail on

How can I be lost?
    If I've got nowhere to go?
    Searched the seas of gold
    How come it's got so cold?
    How can I be lost
    In remembrance I relive
    How can I blame you
    When it's me I can't forgive?

These days drift on inside a fog
    It's thick and suffocating
    This seeking life outside its hell
    Inside intoxicating
    He's run aground
    Like his life
    Water's much too shallow
    Slipping fast
    Down with the ship
    Fading in the shadows now
    A castaway

Blame
    All gone
    Away

Blame gone away

How can I be lost
    Search for seas of gold
    How can I be lost
    In remembrance I relive
    And how can I blame you

Forgive me
    Forgive me not
    Forgive me
    Forgive me not
    Forgive me
    Forgive me not
    Forgive me
    Forgive me, why can't I forgive me?

Set sail to sea but pulled off course
    By the light of golden treasure
    How could he know this new dawn's light
    Would change his life forever

How can I be lost
    Search for seas of gold
    How can I be lost
    In remembrance I relive
    And how can I blame you

cr0w on
    edited September 2008
    The album has officially leaked.

"Listen, we're ten days from release-from here on we're golden. If this thing leaks all over the world...happy days" - Lars Ulrich

look like he doesn't really give a shit. :P

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Yep. I've listened to it 3 times. I think it might be their best album, period. It sounds like it should've come right after Justice, but overall the "feel" of the album, I guess you say, just feels like a band that's complete for the first time in many, many years. I'm almost ready to say it's their best.

cr0w on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yep. I've listened to it 3 times. I think it might be their best album, period. It sounds like it should've come right after Justice, but overall the "feel" of the album, I guess you say, just feels like a band that's complete for the first time in many, many years. I'm almost ready to say it's their best.

Coming from the band that produced Puppets and Justice, and even TBA (I like that album damnit), that is one bold god damned fucking claim.

jungleroomx on
    edited September 2008
    Holy fucking shit this is awesome

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    edited September 2008

Coming from the band that produced Puppets and Justice, and even TBA (I like that album damnit), that is one bold god damned fucking claim.

I'm not one to say something's better than Puppets or Justice...believe me. But it's very, very complex...even more so than Justice, but it all feels so tight, for lack of a better word. They're playing with a fire they haven't had in decades. The guitars, vocals, everything...they're better than anything they've ever done. In my opinion. Most people won't even consider putting it near Puppets or Justice mainly because of nostalgia value, but compared to their other work, I think it's their best.

cr0w on
    edited September 2008
    Lyrically this blows the fucking shit out of St. Anger

EDIT: Seriously I wish that album could be erased from my conciousness

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I'll see in about 20 minutes.

jungleroomx on
    edited September 2008
    I'll see in about 20 minutes.

I wouldn't say its better than the first four albums but I do like it better than the Black Album.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Veitsev wrote: »

Lyrically, the instrumental blows the fucking shit out of St. Anger.

cr0w on
    edited September 2008
    Veitsev wrote: »

Lyrically, the instrumental blows the fucking shit out of St. Anger.

Pretty much. Its nice to be able to bang my head to a Metallica album again.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg