As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Book Movies (And Games) Thread

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, it's been brought up. honestly, if fox really wanted to stop watchmen, they would have started trying years ago. it's not like it was some sort of secret that it was being made. they're just looking for a cut of the action at this point.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    why did nobody warn me hellboy was terrible

there go another two hours of my ever-waning youth

Bob The Monkey on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wright talks about Scott Pilgrim movie

even though it is combining all six books into one movie, O'Malley is involved, so I am hopeful.

Dude is a little more than just "involved". The two are BFFs.

Furu on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008

nobody warned you that it was terrible because it wasn't terrible

DJ Eebs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It was middling.

The first film is worth rewatching if you're bored, but I'll probably never watch the second one again.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008

i'm surprised they didn't break the schmaltzifier the fifth time they jammed the script in. i hope i'm not boarding the cultural elitism train when i say the british tend to have a lower tolerance for schmalz than american audiences. then again, our press went crazy about the film, something i attribute to a current vogue for comic book adaptations and del toro's present status as apple of the critical community's eye.

i'm also open to the possibility i may just be an aging limey, embittered by years of sporting failures and poor haircuts.

Bob The Monkey on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's that last one, I'm afraid. Hellboy was great.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    It's definitely the latter

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hellboy was an emotional rollercoaster.

Of suck. (I'm amuuurican too).

Local H Jay on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

i'm surprised they didn't break the schmaltzifier the fifth time they jammed the script in. i hope i'm not boarding the cultural elitism train when i say the british tend to have a lower tolerance for schmalz than american audiences. then again, our press went crazy about the film, something i attribute to a current vogue for comic book adaptations and del toro's present status as apple of the critical community's eye.

i'm also open to the possibility i may just be an aging limey, embittered by years of sporting failures and poor haircuts.

What was so shmaltzy about it? It was a film about a bright red demon guy with a huge stone hand who hangs around with a telepathic fish-man and a girl who can set herself on fire. What, did you expect it to take itself seriously?

Saph on
    edited September 2008
    I hope that TDK doesn't start a trend where comic book movies aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

Saph on
    edited September 2008
    Saph wrote: »

i'm also open to the possibility i may just be an ageing limey, embittered by years of sporting failures and poor haircuts.

What was so shmaltzy about it? It was a film about a bright red demon guy with a huge stone hand who hangs around with a telepathic fish-man and a girl who can set herself on fire. What, did you expect it to take itself seriously?

what was so schmaltzy?

drinking scenes ripped straight from a c-grade buddy movie; poor, crass dialogue; bottom of the barrel romantic subplots, complete with predictable moments of 'emotional intensity' (the 'give him a reason to live' line? jesus.)

but my main issue with your stance is that you seem to believe schmaltz is a necessary feature of a film that doesn't take itself seriously. many great films don't take themselves seriously, but only poor ones descend into cheese and cliché.

oh, and in response to saph, since when are schmaltz and humour synonyms? iron man was a funny film, and i'd argue it was a better film than the dark knight was. i've got no beef with comedy; it's bullshit i've got a problem with.

Bob The Monkey on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope that TDK doesn't start a trend where comic book movies aren't allowed to be funny anymore.

i am worried about this too
    apparently dc/timewarner is trying to figure out how to make a dark and mature superman movie o_O

DouglasDanger on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

i am worried about this too
    apparently dc/timewarner is trying to figure out how to make a dark and mature superman movie o_O

Well, not every comic character involves humor. Batman, like it or not, is not a good place for any humor above the normal "drama" level. Superman is perhaps a bit more lighthearted, but again how often do you see more than isolated jokes in Superman comics?

Spider-Man on the other hand, or Hellboy, have humorous undercurrents.

mattharvest on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Superman doesn't really strike me as "dark and mature" though. Maybe if they did a movie version of that, "What's so funny about Truth, Justice & the American Way?" story. The sequel could be the follow-up where
    Manchester tries to make Superman kill someone, including making Big Blue think that Manchester killed Lois.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think Superman should be as dark as Batman, and I very much doubt they'll take it very deep in that direction: a dark superman cannot easily avoid becoming a fascist, and I cannot imagine that script happening.

mattharvest on
    edited September 2008
    Besides Black Panther, what other animated projects are currently in the works?

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Superman doesn't really strike me as "dark and mature" though. Maybe if they did a movie version of that, "What's so funny about Truth, Justice & the American Way?" story. The sequel could be "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding."

Fixed. The sequel would only work if Bill Murray was Supes, though.

Crimsondude on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scanning through Xbox Live today I see that the new Hulk game has a free multiplayer expansion pack download. I don't own the game but to sum up the description, "two-player missions that will test the speed, strength, and skill of even the biggest Super Hero fan. The missions take place in one of 5 large arenas, each one a dynamic and fully destructible environment packed with non stop action and ruthless enemies."

If anyone has Hulk I'd love to hear impressions on this.

Accualt on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just saw Next Avengers and I have to say its the best Marvel animated movie I've seen so far. Much better animation, good voice work, and never boring. If there is one problem I have with it it is
    Hulk taking out Ultron in the end was kinda rushed and came outta nowhere, especially since Ultron was kicking Hulks ass not 5 minutes before.
    Overall, very good and I hope the future Marvel animated DTDs keep up this quality.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's so great. It's out today, everyone go watch it.
    And I loved Hulk just getting even angrier at the thought of Ultron being stronger, and hopping up to destroy him. It reminded me of Onslaught.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited September 2008
    I saw it as well, and it just seemed like a clichéd children's adventure story to me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought it looked pretty good
    and pretty gay, also

I would perhaps rent it given enough recommendations.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought it, but I'm still kind of recovering from the first four. I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

Hopefully they have their shit together in time for Hulk vs and the launch of Wolverine and the X-Men.

HadjiQuest on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hellboy was terrible at being terrible

meaning it was great

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So anyone excited about Millar's potential Superman trilogy?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38159

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This isn't the first time I've read about Millar wanting to write a Superman movie, so I'll be optimistic once something more is verified.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Well, I think it was X-Men that started taking the superhero genre seriously. The trend has been going on for quite some time now.

Aleph on
    edited September 2008
    A Superman Trilogy would be cool if it spanned generations. They could be named, in order, Last Son of Krypton, Man of Steel, and Man of Tomorrow.

Last Son of Krypton: A proper look at Superman's origin along the lines of Superman for all Seasons.

Man of Steel: The last Superman story, essentially, with President Luthor having declared war on Superman. Metropolis is destroyed, a ridiculous amount of sci-fi tech is thrown around, and America is destabilized in the wake of the attack.

Man of Tomorrow: During the reconstruction of America, Superman donated Kryptonian technology to Star Labs to aid in the process and bolster America's economy by making it the chief exporter of various future-tech. A century later, the Earth has essentially become New Krypton. Unchecked growth has its cost, though,and Superman is forced to ask whether or not his presence has helped humanity rise to greater height or simply enabled them to become a reflection of himself and his dead civilization.

Meanwhile, a true subjugative force arises in the form of Apokolips and its champion, Darkseid.

Bonus Points: Ends the same way Red Son did.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    Aleph wrote: »

Well, I think it was X-Men that started taking the superhero genre seriously. The trend has been going on for quite some time now.

Since when did taking the superhero genre seriously mean that no character can be light-hearted in nature?

Obviously you're one of those people that don't want any funny in their superhero movies, because only dark, depressing movies can be good.

There's a reason why both Iron Man and TDK were major successes this year.

Saph on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Since when did taking the superhero genre seriously mean that no character can be light-hearted in nature?

Obviously you're one of those people that don't want any funny in their superhero movies, because only dark, depressing movies can be good.

Large marketing budget?

Bloods End on
    edited September 2008
    Well Marvel still knows whats up for the most part, given that they pursued Simon Pegg to do the Ant-Man movie

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

Large marketing budget?

Large marketing budgets backfire horribly if the film isn't any good.

Saph on
    edited September 2008

Large marketing budget?

Transformers. Pirates II and III.

Bloods End on
    edited September 2008

Large marketing budget?

Transformers.
    But that was a good movie :?:

Saph on
    edited September 2008

Large marketing budget?

Transformers.
    But that was a good movie :?:

If by good you me...you know what. Fuck it. It's not worth going over again. Lets just cut to the part where I say I hate you and threaten to fire bomb your house for your terrible tastes.

Bloods End on
    edited September 2008
    It continues to boggle me how anyone could enjoy the Transformers movie

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    I like to think that no one actually likes it, they just say they do to piss us off..

It's how I explain the world sometimes.

Bloods End on
    edited September 2008
    Ha, that dog just peed on the robot's foot!

*10 minutes later.*

And now the robot's peeing on that guy!

Robos A Go Go on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked Transformers. Giant space robots fighting other giant space robots, what's not to like? Also Megan Fox.
    I ignored most of the story

smokmnky on
This discussion has been closed.