As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IGA's Second Symphony - possible SOTN sequel

RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I searched and didn't find a thread on this.

A couple days ago Kotaku cross-reported an EGM blurb. Supposedly EGM will have a report about a sequel to Symphony of the Night (SOTN). No details concerning format (2D or 3D) or platform. I'm hoping for an extremely high res 2D game.

Link here: http://www.kotaku.com/?refId=228679

Thoughts, comments, hopes, dreams? Is EGM usually full of shit, or what?

Renzo on

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sometimes.

Kotaku is 99% full of shit, though.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Umm, they've been making sequels to SotN on the GBA and DS for years. 5 of them, last I checked..

Caswynben on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Caswynben wrote:
    Umm, they've been making sequels to SotN on the GBA and DS for years. 5 of them, last I checked..

Uh.

No.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Caswynben wrote:
    In imaginary land.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Caswynben wrote:

Uh.

No.

His confusion is understandable. They brought back A LOT of high profile Dracula X sprites in Portrait of Ruin that were also used in Symphony of the Night.

EGM may not always be full of shit, but they ARE full of shit for saying that SotN is the first Castlevania to not have a linear level structure.

All the blurb means is that they're going to have "exclusive" information on the next Castlevania game and that people who liked SotN will like it.

My translation of this? There's going to be other 3D Castlevania coming out with lots of unenjoyable backtracking like Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. Alucard will probably be in it or something.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wasn't the Alucard sprite the same in Julius mode as it was in SotN?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Caswynben wrote:

Uh.

No.

His confusion is understandable. They brought back A LOT of high profile Dracula X sprites in Portrait of Ruin that were also used in Symphony of the Night.

EGM may not always be full of shit, but they ARE full of shit for saying that SotN is the first Castlevania to not have a linear level structure.

All the blurb means is that they're going to have "exclusive" information on the next Castlevania game and that people who liked SotN will like it.

My translation of this? There's going to be other 3D Castlevania coming out with lots of unenjoyable backtracking like Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. Alucard will probably be in it or something.
    If they just copied the Metroid Prime gameplay and advancement structure like they copied Metroid in the first place, then they'd be golden. But nooooo.....

Renzo on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:
    Wasn't the Alucard sprite the same in Julius mode as it was in SotN?

Yes.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • MillerMiller Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just to be clear, it says the title of the EGM article is Second Symphony, not necessarily the game.

Also, I've been looking for an affordable copy of the original game for God knows how many years...Any tips, anyone?

Miller on
    prestigeangiernu3.jpg
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Miller wrote:
    Just to be clear, it says the title of the EGM article is Second Symphony, not necessarily the game.

Also, I've been looking for an affordable copy of the original game for God knows how many years...Any tips, anyone?
    Xbox Live.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Miller wrote:

Usually goes for $20-$25 used at EBStop.

Renzo on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am both excited and terrified by this.

I like to think it's 2D, completely overhauled graphically, and in possession of those qualities that make SotN an amazingly deep and engaging game while being remarkably inventive of its own accord.

I also like to think girls will be all over me once they get to know the real me.

Elendil on
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aria of Sorrow was a sequel to SotN. Maybe not the others, but there's enough throwbacks there to make that one in particular a spiritual successor.

The only thing that would make any game worth calling a "SotN sequel" in this light would be to make it a 2D game on a console. But I doubt the more corporate mindsets agree with me.

Blitz Rawket on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Sometimes.

Kotaku is 99% full of shit, though.

Well, everyone thought they were full of shit for saying that Squeenix was going to make more PSP games, but that actually happened. So who knows. If its not a SotN sequel its at least going to be a Metroidvania and thats good enough for me.

BiggNife on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aria of Sorrow was a sequel to SotN. Maybe not the others, but there's enough throwbacks there to make that one in particular a spiritual successor.

The only thing that would make any game worth calling a "SotN sequel" in this light would be to make it a 2D game on a console. But I doubt the more corporate mindsets agree with me.
    I think at this point even Konami knows that SOTN is the one fans want most. But they're happily content to just littering tons of references to Alucard and his adventure. As said, Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are the closest they've ever got without flat-out doing it. Recently Portrait of Ruin has a weapon called Alucard's spear and also redoes the Sylpha/Grant/Trevor fight.

I'm content if they never do a full blown sequel. I guess the only thing they could do is either a prequel to SOTN, or something in the future to explain why he's up and about in the Sorrow games.

And anyways, if they do a sequel, especially on a console, they're going to do voices. And I can guarantee that nothing short of ALL the original voices plus screwy acting will stop everybody here from bitching about it. Too good, and you bitch that it's not as deliciously corny as SOTN. Too bad... and you're worse than SOTN...

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2007
    Too bad... and you're worse than SOTN...
    Thankfully, this is not physically possible.

Elendil on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I think at this point even Konami knows that SOTN is the one fans want most. But they're happily content to just littering tons of references to Alucard and his adventure. As said, Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are the closest they've ever got without flat-out doing it. Recently Portrait of Ruin has a weapon called Alucard's spear and also redoes the Sylpha/Grant/Trevor fight.

I'm content if they never do a full blown sequel. I guess the only thing they could do is either a prequel to SOTN, or something in the future to explain why he's up and about in the Sorrow games.

And anyways, if they do a sequel, especially on a console, they're going to do voices. And I can guarantee that nothing short of ALL the original voices plus screwy acting will stop everybody here from bitching about it. Too good, and you bitch that it's not as deliciously corny as SOTN. Too bad... and you're worse than SOTN...

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:4dae776fe0]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:4dae776fe0]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sprite recycling makes me so fucking mad.

Morigan, nuff said.

Meiz on
  • The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I never did play the original SotN, which is why I'm so happy it's going to be on XBLA. Now I need some Sonic and Nights and Metroid- aka Wii VC- to get around to playing the rest of the 2D platformers I need to try. Oh, and I guess some Super Mario World too.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lanz wrote:

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:feeeaf846e]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:feeeaf846e]

It's also one of Alucard's awesome weapons in the Saturn version of SotN.

Oh, and Eric Lecarde's weapon is the Alucarde Spear.

Damn frenchies.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:64fde35f50]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:64fde35f50]

Damn frenchies.
    Eh? It's Alucard Spear in the Japanese version of Bloodlines, and Lecarde Spear in America.

Blitz Rawket on
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:4774b55abf]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:4774b55abf]

Damn frenchies.
    Eh? It's Alucard Spear in the Japanese version of Bloodlines, and Lecarde Spear in America.

My cartridge disagrees with you. Either that or my memory is really fucked up.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:9d77494c57]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:9d77494c57]

Damn frenchies.

Eh, it's possible I'm mistaken, but it's probably just a typo the other way.

Blitz Rawket on
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Caswynben wrote:

Uh.

No.

His confusion is understandable.
    I am not confused. The stories in all the Castlevania games are connected (At least in spirit) and there have been 5 Castlevania games that play exactly line Symphony of the Night since then.

Caswynben on
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:57079bb603]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:57079bb603]

Damn frenchies.

Wikipedia confirms my spelling.

But still... where else could they go with the Rondo series? It pretty much stopped at SotN, with whatever ending you got.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Lanz wrote:

uh, Alucard spear:

[realspoiler:f0985dd5b8]That's Eric Lacarde's weapon.[/realspoiler:f0985dd5b8]

Damn frenchies.

Wikipedia confirms my spelling.

But still... where else could they go with the Rondo series? It pretty much stopped at SotN, with whatever ending you got.
    Man, that isn't true.

[spoiler:f0985dd5b8]We have no idea if Maria actually succeeded in preventing Alucard's return to hibernation--since the Aria games take place so long afterward the he easily could have slumbered and awoken yet again.[/spoiler:f0985dd5b8]

Blitz Rawket on
    edited January 2007
    It'd be pretty funny if this was just a straight SotN port.

I'm not sure I'd be particularly displeased.

Elendil on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:

Xbox Live.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited January 2007
    Man, that isn't true.

[spoiler:327179a0cf]We have no idea if Maria actually succeeded in preventing Alucard's return to hibernation--since the Aria games take place so long afterward the he easily could have slumbered and awoken yet again.[/spoiler:327179a0cf]

Well...

[spoiler:327179a0cf]Dracula's dead. I don't think he's going to getting back up and fixing up his castle a few years after it got wrecked by his son. And if Alucard did go into hibernation, once Dracula got to work again, he'd just wake up, pick up his sword and go do some ass-kicking , seeing as he hasn't had time to become weak and frail after storming his father's castle.[/spoiler:327179a0cf]

MechMantis on
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:

They've already announced a Live Arcade iteration, and I think it might already be available for the PSP's emulation service (the legal one). Though I wouldn't mind a DS port, since I don't have either of those systems and playing that game wherever I go would be sex. Especially if they included a proper Hard Mode with mixed up enemy placements and the like.

But, I doubt it. We're probably looking at something new here.
    MechMantis wrote:
    Well...

[spoiler:6716c1fbde]Dracula's dead. I don't think he's going to getting back up and fixing up his castle a few years after it got wrecked by his son. And if Alucard did go into hibernation, once Dracula got to work again, he'd just wake up, pick up his sword and go do some ass-kicking , seeing as he hasn't had time to become weak and frail after storming his father's castle.[/spoiler:6716c1fbde]
    [spoiler:6716c1fbde]Well, one thing--recovering in only a few years isn't unheard-of, since SotN only takes place four or so years after Rondo of Blood. Additionally, though I'm not a big fan of the idea, we have had CV games with little or no relation to Dracula himself. And swooping in tod o some "ass-kicking" right quick was exactly what he had in mind for Symphony, but Death kind of put a hamper on that. :wink:[/spoiler:6716c1fbde]

Blitz Rawket on
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:

Xbox Live.
    That would be part of the humor, yes.

But you're right, chances are it's new.

Elendil on
    edited January 2007
    You of course have to buy each transformation, and for .99 cents worth, you can get an extra .2 percent of map uncovered.

core tactic on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Renzo wrote:
    Miller wrote:

Usually goes for $20-$25 used at EBStop.
    In my experience it doesn't usually go for anything at EBStop, because most EBStops haven't seen a copy in so long they actually laugh at you if you ask.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2007
    You of course have to buy each transformation, and for .99 cents worth, you can get an extra .2 percent of map uncovered.

Ahahahahah.

I think that's 1 or 2 squares.

But it might be useful if you could choose where you want to reveal the map...

MechMantis on
    edited January 2007
    That's like the whole 50 cents a hat thing they've got for Viva Pinata.

core tactic on
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Merchants in the game deal in microtransactions.

Get up to Dracula and he uses mind powers to stop you from dealing the final blow until you pay him $5.00.

Pooch on
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

Ahahahahah.

I think that's 1 or 2 squares.

But it might be useful if you could choose where you want to reveal the map...
    [spoiler:1617a5a805]Hidden room near the rock tunnel.

Fuck that room.[/spoiler:1617a5a805]

Elendil on
    edited January 2007
    Pooch wrote:
    Merchants in the game deal in microtransactions.

Get up to Dracula and he uses mind powers to stop you from dealing the final blow until you pay him $5.00.

Pay the Merchant 20 dollars to get any item you want in the game... for a price.

"Oh, Crissaegrim? Gimmie 50k gold."

Edit: Oh, and Elendil:

SOUL STEAL

MechMantis on
    edited January 2007
    5 dollars extra or the shield rod isn't even in the game.

core tactic on
    edited January 2007
    5 dollars extra or the shield rod isn't even in the game.

That isn't bad.

Howabout $5 for each piece of Alucard gear?

MechMantis on