As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Let's get Eric!

1575859606163»

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    Obama wrote:
    Let me be as clear as possible, I think people's families are off-limits, and people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president.

Gee, it's a good thing we're not members of McCain or Obama's campaign then, isn't it?

What does that have to do with anything? The man is right when he says her performance as a mother has nothing to do with her performance as a professional.

I'll say it again: we're discussing politics in here. Politics extends beyond the facts of what each campaign does, it also encompasses what role the media plays, and the media is eating this shit up. Therefore, in discussing politics, the role of Palin's daughter's vices, and how they shape the media narrative is fair game.

I thought I was the only one who got all my election news from Perez Hilton!

edit: I don't see what's so hard about moving gossip about her family to the Palin thread and leaving this one for legitimate, political discourse about the election.

tofu on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Brian888 wrote: »
    Oh you stupid bitches on the View.. whatever would we do without you.

Joy is doing more eye-rolling than usual throughout this one.

Sherri Shepherd really has to be one of the dumbest human beings currently breathing. Whoopi must have the patience of Job not to leap across the table and strangle her.

They had to debate whether the world was flat. Anyone going to them for political news is too stupid to live.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CNN is reporting that Obama was given a special intelligence briefing today for the first time now that he is the official Democratic nominee for president. McCain, Biden, and Palin will also be given these briefings at a later date as customary since they are in the group of the main four candidates to hold the executive offices. The funny part of all of this is that Palin doesn't have a security clearance. The other three senators all have security clearances because they are on important committees within Congress. Palin,unfortunately being a nobody, has nothing of the sort. I don't know how they'll handle that.

kevindee on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    kevindee wrote: »
    CNN is reporting that Obama was given a special intelligence briefing today for the first time now that he is the official Democratic nominee for president. McCain, Biden, and Palin will also be given these briefings at a later date as customary since they are in the group of the main four candidates to hold the executive offices. The funny part of all of this is that Palin doesn't have a security clearance. The other three senators all have security clearances because they are on important committees within Congress. Palin,unfortunately being a nobody, has nothing of the sort. I don't know how they'll handle that.

I'm sure it'll be fine so long as she doesn't cc: her husband.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

wasnt she the head of the alaskan national guard?

that would require a security clearance

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I assume she'll get cleared? I mean, it's not like governors and such haven't run for president before.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Bollocks, I heard on TV that Palin has security clearances we don't even know about. Alaska being close to Russia and all.

EDIT: Alternatively: So she has security clearances even those who hand out security clearances don't know about!

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

I'm sure it'll be fine so long as she doesn't cc: her husband.

I don't think Todd Palin will like not having input.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Are you doing this on purpose?

No. No it would not require a security clearance because any time the National Guard leaves your state the Gov no longer has any control over them.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

Bollocks, I heard on TV that Palin has security clearances we don't even know about. Alaska being close to Russia and all.

Right.

Did you guys know that Alaska is so close to Russia that Palin actually helped Putin shoot that tiger? WOWIE!
    Putin/Palin '08 olol

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The movie ends with the former beauty queen shaking out her pinned-up hair, taking off her glasses, slipping on ruby red peep-toe platform heels that reveal a pink French-style pedicure, and facing down Vladimir Putin in an island in the Bering Strait. Putting away her breast pump, she points her rifle and informs him frostily that she has some expertise in Russia because it’s close to Alaska. “Back off, Commie dude,” she says. “I’m a much better shot than Cheney.”

Then she takes off in her seaplane and lands on the White House lawn, near the new ice fishing hole and hockey rink. The “First Dude,” as she calls the hunky Eskimo in the East Wing, waits on his snowmobile with the kids — Track (named after high school track meets), Bristol (after Bristol Bay where they did commercial fishing), Willow (after a community in Alaska), Piper (just a cool name) and Trig (Norse for “strength.”)

“The P.T.A. is great preparation for dealing with the K.G.B.,” President Palin murmurs to Todd, as they kiss in the final scene while she changes Trig’s diaper. “Now that Georgia’s safe, how ’bout I cook you up some caribou hot dogs and moose stew for dinner, babe?”

kevindee on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

Are you doing this on purpose?

No. No it would not require a security clearance because any time the National Guard leaves your state the Gov no longer has any control over them.

that makes no sense.... it doesnt require a security clearance because the national guard can work nationally?

maybe my cousins in the national guard just got their clearances at a town fair.

to lead any kind of military organization you need a security document to read certain documents pertaining to the training, equipment and deployment of those troops.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I thought training, deployment, equipment and basically everything else about the National Guard was handled at a federal level, and the governer only comes into play when there's a state of emergency? I can't dig it up, but I saw a link to some document that basically said this

kevindee on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Governors don't "command" the national guard in any meaningful sense.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We have a new thread, move along!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    From my limited understanding, the National Guard is managed by state governments, but if necessary, can be used by the federal government.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.