As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Man! Utah sucks even worse after being at PAX!

iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
This one goes out to everyone with post Pax blues, but more specifically... people who have a reason to complain about where they live, even in normal circumstances, let alone after EPIC GAMING CONVENTIONS!

Well, at least in part. :) I'm totally going to talk about the things I miss too! :D

I'm from the UT Valley... That's even less cool than SLC for those of you wondering. Sothern Cali is my true home, but i'm here now so it's BLEH and now in the wake of PAX glory, it falls dramatically short of my ideals. :P

At least I'm reflectively reminded of the many exciting points of PAX that will keep me going until next year and THAT my friends, is a fantastic reason to stay positive.

The Cosplay was great! some funny (both intentionally and not) costumes to be sure, but some were just killer awesome too! that Fruit Fucker was prime! and solid Snake was pretty damn good. Oh, and lest we not forget Male Peach ;) that was too hot :P

The Presentations were so unbelievable and the participation from the crowd was baffling as well as impressive. It never ceases to amaze me just how close I feel with my fellow attendees just based on our kinship as gamers and Penny Arcade nerds.

A few ironic but fantastic points: the sound problems... although, a massive pain in the ass, it provided some funny ass moments during the Q&A more than once. The lines: TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE! people just walked in from wherever they wished most of the time anyways... but actually, I met some DAMN cool people in line. I was forced to come alone this year (due to unforeseen circumstances) but I met these guys in line Friday morning that were so cool, I hung out with them the entire weekend! Also, there were some intensely creative (albeit, often phallic in nature) moments.

I don't know where to end... but just let it be said, after this weekend, I'm going to be on the forums a ton to offer any participation I can, show gratitude and be stoked as hell every day that the next PAX is one day closer to me yet again and until then... I'll whine a little about having to camp out here in Utah in the mean time. :)

Take it easy all and thanks for making all of us PAXians feel like the family we truly are as nerds and gamers.

-Ray (Confidence)

--
ETA.Confidence
EscapeTheAsylum.com
iamconfidence on

• MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I returned to Idaho last night.... man I wish we all could live at PAX! ;)

MR.T on
  • Altima NEOAltima NEO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I live in Portland, which I totally love.

Being in downtown Seattle was eerie as fuck. It looks the same, it feels the same, it basically is the same as Portland. Minus the culture shock, it just has the same vibe as Portland, which is eerie because you know that it isnt!

Also, freeway exits on the left hand side? WTF?

I was glad to return home. Seattle was just unsettling for me.

Altima NEO on
  • iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Altima NEO wrote: »
    ...I was glad to return home. Seattle was just unsettling for me.

HAHA! I totally get that!

I'm originally from California. Every time I'd go elsewhere from Orange County, I'd tend to pick out things that made less sense to me than home. I know the vibe difference too... just kinda... not home-ish.

Glad people are getting home safely at least. :)

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hawaii sucks. So hard.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Hawaii sucks. So hard.

I'm not sure if I should scorn your comment or laugh my ass off... Just know I'm on the edge of riotous laughter and having smoldering molten pits for angry eye sockets ;)

PS: I <3 Surf so Hawaii PWNS N00BFACE!

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
    edited September 2008
    Totally serious. Either way, being back home is surreal after the craziness of pax.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2008
    I guess it's fair. It's crap to leave PAX no matter where you're going it seems.

Well, just start prepping for next year! That'll help keep you occupied yeah? :D

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
    edited September 2008
    i brought my suitcase to work :D i'm gonna try to get my co-workers to eat in for lunch and i'll have a slideshow :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Being at work after PAX is like some kind of sick torture. I am fondling my lanyard and badge during my breaks.

Sakebomb on
  • EmoScoopEmoScoop Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I miss Arcadia as well.

I holding a panel at my house tonight called "Dealing with Post-Pax Withdrawal". The line is forming and pipe cleaners are being passed out as I type this.

EmoScoop on
    edited September 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    Being at work after PAX is like some kind of sick torture. I am fondling my lanyard and badge during my breaks.

I will be using the ghostbusters lanyard at work forever and ever now.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm from the UT Valley... That's even less cool than SLC for those of you wondering. Sothern Cali is my true home, but i'm here now so it's BLEH and now in the wake of PAX glory, it falls dramatically short of my ideals. :P

I hear you, man. I live in Ogden. Yeah, I've got some home town pride but when it comes down to it, nothing compares to the vibe at PAX. Good news is, though, I've run into several other forum folk (I really like the term, forum folk) who are from UT and went to PAX. I think we should have a get together this weekend for a 'I went to PAX and all I got was this lousy return ticket to UT' support group. At least I have a backpack COVERED in buttons I can look at and feel happy.

Seriously, though, if you're from UT and went to PAX, PM me and lets get something going. I managed to get a few friends excited about PAX next year by giving away most of my swag, and I think I smell a UT-PAX road trip brewing.

Aliasunknown on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am from southern california, and I had to come home and get back to school today. That sucked enough as it is, but what made it worse it that I loved seattle, and the weather was the best, and coming back here feels like I was just dropped in Africa, its so damn hot :(

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • ineptbeermanineptbeerman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I live in Seattle, and even it sucks sans-pax. At least pax gives us all something to look forward to a year for now...

ineptbeerman on
  • theorb77theorb77 Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Live in Salt Lake here, and am a long-time lurker. Just wanted to add that I am seriously considering moving after having gone to PAX. Utah sucks so bad after PAX.

theorb

theorb77 on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »

Try working in downtown Seattle... I almost got off the bus this morning at Convention Place Station. I kept looking at my pins now on my work messenger bag and how they don't match my Pam Beesley clothes. *sigh*

trickycoolj on
    edited September 2008
    I swear if it even looks like a vague possibility, I'm 100% into a road trip. I think I've recruited 6 heads to coming already... lets see if my retention vs. expansion rate is good enough to add to that number. :D

I'll send you a PM and get you my info, maybe we'll have to have a little UT PAXians meet up in SLC or something.

Same goes to you theorb77.

PAX '09 Road Trip FTW!

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think Seattle is still awesome. My heart is just a little emptier. *tear*

eye-shuh on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    =( Aye, I'm with you on that eye-shuh. I'm having a hard time working today, in honesty. I just keep checking the forum.

I guess that's kind of like how it was in the run up to PAX, except this time I'm not anticipating PAX itself... I'm reeling from the loss of it. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Nerd TraumaNerd Trauma Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've decided once I'm done with college I'm going to move to Seattle. I fell in love with the city

Nerd Trauma on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it is a truly beautiful city with great climate. Well, at least I think it's great... it sure beats sweltering in the heat. =)

VThornheart on
    edited September 2008
    =( Aye, I'm with you on that eye-shuh. I'm having a hard time working today, in honesty. I just keep checking the forum.

I guess that's kind of like how it was in the run up to PAX, except this time I'm not anticipating PAX itself... I'm reeling from the loss of it. =)

Haha, so true! I spent countless work hours before PAX keeping up on the forums for events. Now I'm staring blankly at my work computer trying really really hard not to use more work time for PAX things.

As you can see, I'm failing.

eye-shuh on
    edited September 2008
    That's okay, we're failing together as a community =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Nerd TraumaNerd Trauma Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it is a truly beautiful city with great climate. Well, at least I think it's great... it sure beats sweltering in the heat. =)
    Everyone back home in NC told me to take a raincoat, expecting rain every day.

And of course, we leave NC just in time to miss the torrential rains/flooding/tornadoes/etc, to get to a sunny, 65 degree "rainiest city in the US" Seattle.

Win.

Nerd Trauma on
    edited September 2008
    Everyone back home in NC told me to take a raincoat, expecting rain every day.

And of course, we leave NC just in time to miss the torrential rains/flooding/tornadoes/etc, to get to a sunny, 65 degree "rainiest city in the US" Seattle.

Win.

We actually don't have a very high rain fall. Everyone just assumes we do because it's always gray skies.

eye-shuh on
    edited September 2008
    And God, I love gray skies. It's so nice to not have the sun blistering you all day long whenever you step outdoors. It actually makes me WANT to be outside. Here in Sacramento, there's no real incentive for being outside 9 months out of the year except for skin cancer. =)

VThornheart on
    edited September 2008
    When I got in my Jeep at the airport here in SLC, it has hailing. Some freak cold front moved in, and it feels like late October now.

Aliasunknown on
    edited September 2008
    When I got in my Jeep at the airport here in SLC, it has hailing. Some freak cold front moved in, and it feels like late October now.

LMAO! Brilliant point mate! I totally flew in through the electrical storm sunday night. It was fantastic... but then I had to find my damn car out in the economy lot in the rain... that sucked a bit.

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
    edited September 2008
    And God, I love gray skies. It's so nice to not have the sun blistering you all day long whenever you step outdoors. It actually makes me WANT to be outside. Here in Sacramento, there's no real incentive for being outside 9 months out of the year except for skin cancer. =)

Agreed! I could never live anywhere but my gray skied Seattle. My heat tolerance is around 70 degrees. After that I would probably give my soul for the power to switch off the sun. It's way too bright. I'm just going to give up one of these days and become a vampire. Vitamin D is overrated.

eye-shuh on
  • KittCandiKittCandi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Haha, yeah. When we were down in Seattle it didn't rain once but come back to Utah and it's all rainy and icky. Go figure.

KittCandi on
    edited September 2008
    I LOVE this thread. Utes unite! Utah is more than a bunch of Mormons nestled along the protective barrier of the Wasatch Front. We are gamers. We are here. We demand broadband access.

Crazy thing happened today. Met a fellow PAX-goer in my Math 1010 class at Weber State here in Ogden. Blew my mind.

Aliasunknown on
  • blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Utah is more than a bunch of Mormons nestled along the protective barrier of the Wasatch Front.

No it isn't... Mormons unite!

*goes back to playing his PC game*

blindside044 on
    edited September 2008
    Utah is more than a bunch of Mormons nestled along the protective barrier of the Wasatch Front.

No it isn't... Mormons unite!

LMAO! I agree Aliasunknown. I'm at UVU and I totally dig running into people that rocked out at PAX.

It's definitely awesome to see how many honest to God gamers there are in Utah Valley and SLC. I've got a group of 8 friends here who I game with on some level at least once a week for a few hours who I'm working on convincing to attend next year. 4 of us went up to PAX '06 and we're all planning on dragging others to come to PAX '09.

My close mate Brando came with us on that trip and he had the time of his life. He died last year in an accident or else I'mm 100% sure he would have been with me this year and would be planning this massive Utah exodus in '09. It fully motivates me to give others the opportunity to experience what he had the privilege to experience while we all still can, ya know?

We should all be so fortunate to experience the excitement and joy that is PAX, so I say we bring as many of these repressed utah souls with us as we can manage!

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • JoleineJoleine Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Altima NEO wrote: »
    I live in Portland, which I totally love.

Being in downtown Seattle was eerie as fuck. It looks the same, it feels the same, it basically is the same as Portland. Minus the culture shock, it just has the same vibe as Portland, which is eerie because you know that it isnt!

Also, freeway exits on the left hand side? WTF?

I was glad to return home. Seattle was just unsettling for me.

I have to agree.. I live in Portland and it really doesn't feel any different being in Seattle.. other than the bigger sidewalks and the dirtier air ;)

I had a grand time at PAX and can't wait to go back next year :)

Joleine on
    edited September 2008

Oh, you must be referring to Solitare, the number one game for the antiquated PC 'console'
    LMAO! I agree Aliasunknown. I'm at UVU and I totally dig running into people that rocked out at PAX.

It's definitely awesome to see how many honest to God gamers there are in Utah Valley and SLC. I've got a group of 8 friends here who I game with on some level at least once a week for a few hours who I'm working on convincing to attend next year. 4 of us went up to PAX '06 and we're all planning on dragging others to come to PAX '09.

My close mate Brando came with us on that trip and he had the time of his life. He died last year in an accident or else I'mm 100% sure he would have been with me this year and would be planning this massive Utah exodus in '09. It fully motivates me to give others the opportunity to experience what he had the privilege to experience while we all still can, ya know?

We should all be so fortunate to experience the excitement and joy that is PAX, so I say we bring as many of these repressed utah souls with us as we can manage!

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. More reason to get the 09 road trip up and running. We need a good name. Maybe 'Smallest road trip to PAX' or something along those lines.

Aliasunknown on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys, I'm in Delaware. Seriously, c'mon.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been bummed out ever since PAX ended. I live a ten minute walk from the convention center, and about the same distance from work. I look at all my spiffy pins, and mourn working in the retail world. I already am making plans for next year. Oh, and my boss and co-workers keep fondling my head. Which is creepy.

MeeOk on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Although the lack of gamers is depressing, I'm back in the fine arts program and I've got some awesome teachers for once.

The entire frame of mind and vernacular which I have to get back into after over several months of taking a break from post secondary is just amazing. Also lots of people, so hopefully more good times are soon to come.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited September 2008
    MeeOk wrote: »
    I've been bummed out ever since PAX ended. I live a ten minute walk from the convention center, and about the same distance from work. I look at all my spiffy pins, and mourn working in the retail world. I already am making plans for next year. Oh, and my boss and co-workers keep fondling my head. Which is creepy.

But freshly shaved hair is the bestest! I got this habit of rubbing the back of my head from all the buzz cuts I had when I was younger.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've decided once I'm done with college I'm going to move to Seattle. I fell in love with the city

I hope you're getting a good degree. The "good" cities in WA are not easy to get decent jobs in straight out of school, for precisely this reason. I'm about an hour and a half north of Seattle, in Bellingham, and it's Hell trying to find a job here.

babelfish on
This discussion has been closed.